[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Computer Science a good degree to get at uni? Is there a better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 7zvPLV2.jpg (180KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
7zvPLV2.jpg
180KB, 1080x1349px
Is Computer Science a good degree to get at uni? Is there a better tech degree I should be pursuing instead?
>>
>>61152914
Electrical engineer
>>
>>61152914
No. Almost everyone wants to be a "Computer Engineer or a Software Engineer". They are like sand. You can find sand everywhere.

Study a trade and you'll be well of with that if you have the brains to get it to a level where you can earn up to 6 figures.
>>
>>61152914
Medicine. Anything computer related will be automated.
I'm a pharmacist femanon, btw :3
>>
>>61152914
mathfags will look down on you

engineerfags will envy you

as basic education it's okay I guess
>>
>>61153081
The Medicine field is already being phased out due to automation.
>>
>>61152914
Litterally over saturated thanks to politics wanting another tech pop.
>>
>>61153081
>Anything computer related will be automated.
Just ask yourself "By whom?"
No, sweety, everything computer related will be automated last.
>>
>>61153107
You can't automate diagnoze.
>>
File: 1480930565334.jpg (748KB, 2396x1670px) Image search: [Google]
1480930565334.jpg
748KB, 2396x1670px
>>61152914
You should go for actuarial science if you want to make money and kill yourself.
>>
>>61153040
Yup, or computer, but electrical is just more broad
>>
>>61153097
Hah, as an EE i dont envy them at all
>>
>>61153160
> as an EE i dont envy them at all
then you're really dumb

a CS major that's not a fuckup can have his entire life figured out by 25: good middle class house, nice car, Sr. Software Engineer title
needless to say to women that kind of shit is irresistible
>>
>>61153040
Not science

>>61153097
Seems accurate, except if you get a proper CS degree which is literally maths.

>>61153131
Such as?
>physics
Physicsfags are the worst, literally.

>>61153160
Because you lack the intelligence to understand their superiority.
>>
>>61153124
They've already started though
>>
>>61153342
Nigga, not ACTUAL science.. ACTUARIAL SCIENCE.
>>
File: 1480707534027.png (352KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1480707534027.png
352KB, 800x1200px
>>61153453
o-oh
>>
>>61153063
Yet for some reason the amount of graduates and employees in those areas has remained constant for 47 years.
>>
>>61152914
If you're not at a shit tier uni, you get internships, and do side projects, CS will literally make your life fantastic. If you can't do two of those, study a trade.
>>
>>61153124
That's exactly what you can do. You can automate nearly everything in the long run.
>>
>>61152914
Bioinformatics if you want something interesing and enjoyable
>>
>>61153213
You can say it about a sailors too, "miners from oil rigs" (don't know how to name it in english properly) can actually do that after two months of work.
>>
>>61153591
Sailors? They get paid jack shit and are from third world countries. Marine engineering officers make decent money.
Oil rig workers make decent money as well.
I'm not really sure what that guy is on about, as any non-meme education will make it possible to buy a house and a decent car right off the bat basically. At least where I live.
>>
>>61153040
http://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Electrical_Engineer/Salary

Am I missing something? The pay seems alright, but nothing fantastic, I figured the salary would be much higher. I have a couple of friends two years into their degree right now, I'll ask them about it.

>>61153081
Thought about being a psychiatrist but I'm not sure I want to be in school that long.

>>61153131
Maybe, I will look into it.

>>61153512
Going to a decent uni, far from the top tier, only going here because it's a 10-minute walk from my parent's house. The biggest problem is that I don't think there are a lot of tech jobs here, so there may not be good places to intern at.

>>61153570
I will look into it.

>>61153674
I was looking at marine engineering too; there's a good program here for studying that. You can get houses easy where I live too; my sister got a decent one at 20 without finishing high school.
>>
>>61153124
A large portion of doctors are actually terrible at diagnosing anything but the most common conditions. Machines that aid doctors are already being worked on and improve accuracy of diagnosis significantly.
>>
>>61153674
I meant ME not sailors. I'm too lazy today for checking a proper names of profesions on the net.
>>
>>61153124
I'd trust a machine to diagnose me over a dummy doctor
>>
>>61153787
Once you get more than a certain amount, the excact pay is not as important as what the job entails.
Find something you want to do. Any high paying job requires a lot of work, so if you don't care about the work, no salary is going to be enough.
>>
>>61154000
I'm still lost in life; it's hard to know what I want to do for the rest of my life. I want a comfy salary with a job I don't hate.
>>
>>61153124
It's actually done by boolean data type. Doctors only input results of the basic tests into a program which shows results as a next tests needed to be done on patient to diagnose him well. It is mainly done to cut the budget by doing less medical tests
>>
>>61154036
I get that.
But based on your previous experiences, you should know what fields you find interesting and what fields you are good at.
There is a large difference with wanting to create new communication methods, build robots and talk to crazy people.
Find which fields interests you (if there is more, find an umbrella term and pick the most interesting.
>>
>>61152914
Data Science/ Data Engineering.

With our current transition to the 'Information Age', better means of data filtering, transfer and storage have become incredible necessities. The fields are already on the rise, going up the list of top-earning jobs. DS/DE is projected to become the highest paying job in the near future.

Data Science involves of analysis of data, and coming up with better solutions to handle it. Data Engineering involves the actual application of those proposed solutions. Both fields are complementary to each other and carry the same weighting.
>>
>>61154259
What I was about to say. I have 15 years in IT and the market is slowly dying here for a multitude of reasons. The one field that seems steady or growing is Data (storage and analytics). I think automation plays a role but as shit moves to the cloud and apps are developed in simple languages the CS world becomes narrower if you want a job.
>>
>>61153213

Can confirm. I'm just a basic programmer/sysadmin, and I clear six figures a year. Car and bike are paid off, and I'm renting out my first home. It's boring though, and I'm still not sure how or what the "next level" here is. How does someone make seven figures? Owning a business seems like the only solution.
>>
>>61153040
This. Also, a good Electrical Engineer who wants with software can do it just fine as long as he/she is willing to learn a few things on his/her own. Someone with a CompSci background would have a lot of problems trying to work with hardware, or anything else in the physical domain really.
Computer engineering is fine too if you only want to learn about computers, but EE is more broad and will qualify you to work on more things.
>>
>>61154658
Wants to work*
>>
>>61154577
>and I'm renting out my first home
Like that's an achievement? Lmoa.
>>
>>61154435
Does this mean technology will eventually get to a point where it won't matter if the code was written by either a pajeet or a neckbeard?
>>
>>61154856
It is already that way to a degree. Many of the people filling Sr. Dev roles did not go to college and/or are self taught or bootcampers. In some ways it is a good thing but their lack of experience, I feel, forces them to only feel comfortable hiring people with their own type of skills or less for fear they will be out shined and proved unworthy of their job. I know some cities are not this way bit I have observed it a lot in the Midwest.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.