[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I switched from Windows to Linux and im already having difficulties.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 4

I switched from Windows to Linux and im already having difficulties.

I have an 120gb, that i formatted and installed Ubuntu Mate on it, and another 1TB HDD with 3 partitions.

After I installed linux, I was unable to mount the second partition on the HDD.
This is the error I get.

Did I lose my files?
>>
>>61152910
>I switched from Windows to Linux
LMAO
>>
Linux hasn't done anything to your files. Most likely, windows broke the filesystem and linux can't interpret the broken bits.

Tried doing what it says?
>>
>>61152927

I cant reboot into windows because I formatted C and have limited internet connection and cant download a windows image
>>
That's Linux for you.

Even the simplest tasks require complicated terminal commands
>>
>>61152910
Congrats son, you just got memed.
>>
>>61152934
Well what it is doing is purposefully not trying to mount it to prevent doing damage.
>>
>>61152910
big mistake. perhaps should have tried it out on another machine first before "switching"
>>
>>61152989

But why am I able to mount the first partition but not the second one?
>>
File: Oca2xEm.png (34KB, 538x382px) Image search: [Google]
Oca2xEm.png
34KB, 538x382px
>>61152910
Dude it tells you what to do right there, mine on the other hand...

Nothing works, yet the drive mounts in windows fine
>>
>>61153074
also to elaborate, since you deleted windows... make a VM, mount the disc in the windows vm. turn off hibernate, shut down
>>
>>61153074

just do sudo /dev/sda2

Thank me later
>>
>>61153134

fuck

I meant

"sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda2"
>>
Fell for the meme
>>
If you deleted Windows, why would you format that partition as NTFS?
>>
>>61153035
Just one partition might be damaged. In general ntfs works under Linux pretty well (I'm using it daily for several years).
I saw this thing happen once because:
>>61153074
>NTFS size is not valid
In my case it was because incorrect partition resize operation. The size was wrong, linux did not mount it, but windows was totally ok with it because it has to ignore various errors in order to work at all.
The safest way to deal with this would be exactly what it recommends right there.
Next time try live linux properly before erasing windows.
Also under linux it is usually better to use other filesystems (like ext4), if it's not for example external disk where you can expect the need to use it with windows.
>>
>>61153176
he had the drive before, if you format a drive to ntfs on linux it works fine. In all honestly ntfs is the better format because all 6 major os's can mount it (idk about android and ios though). ext4 is a pretty good format but windows cant read it for shit. exfat has issues on linux and osx, fat32 while most compatible has its obvious weakness
>>
>>61153224
ive tried what it reccomends, about to do >>61153143 . also i still have windows, never deleted it. Although i have to alter the boot disk each time from bios because grub wont load the windows loader. I use ext4 for my main disk and one of my hdds, its the case that two of my hard drives that are full are ntfs (one mounts one doesnt)
>>
File: 1-2-hurts-just-a-little-bit.jpg (26KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1-2-hurts-just-a-little-bit.jpg
26KB, 600x600px
OP here, just realized I didn't back up my android projects when I formatted C:/

Just end my life
>>
If one of the three partitions is formatted to NTFS, I wonder if OP needs to dual boot to be able to access the files again bc linux won't be able to read that partition.

If you do not have access to windows then you probably should create a live cd with GParted OS and boot it up. It has a simple GUI interface and you can extract *almost* (very few corrupted files) all the data from your NTFS partition to an external HDD.
>>
Windows is not closed properly
that Fast boot/secure boot crap is doing this
Boot up windows and shutdown via a rightclick on the start menu

t. windows refugee
>>
>>61153307

>boot up windows

I no longer have windows
>>
>>61153288
i want to call you an idiot but i did the same with debian once and lost a lot of work.

oh wait, i had a backup so it was fine. Did you ooc install linux because you needed the adroid ide emu?
>>
>>61153317
its not like someone else in this itt has said what to do

>>61153092
>>61153092
>>61153092
>>61153092
>>
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G#Metadata_kept_in_Windows_cache.2C_refused_to_mount
>>
>>61153328
He said he can't get a Windows image.

>>61153317
OP, you keep mentioning "the second partition," but the error message is talking about /dev/sda1, i.e. the first partition. Are you sure you're not accidentally mounting a non-NTFS partition as NTFS?
>>
ffs install ntfs packages
>>
>>61152910
God damn just read the fucking error message.

Windows by default doesn't shutdown when you tell it to shut down.
It moves into a semi-hibernation state where system services are put into a hibernation file to be restored on startup. It was Microsoft's answer to abysmal bootup speeds of Windows.

To make it work you have to go on windows, turn off this weird hybrid-shutdown feature and power down your computer normally (as in fully shutting down windows).
>>
>>61153228
unrelated but whats the issues with exFAT? ive installed probably 4 different distros from a 128GiB stick thats been exFAT each time

debian jessie went odd but that was because of the nvme, not exFAT
>>
>>61153365
>He said he can't get a Windows image.
everyone can, you can dl it from microsofts site ffs

>>61153385
not the issue here
>>
>>61152910
What exactly did you not understand from the message given? Can you read? Can you follow instructions?
>>
>mfw brainlets try to use Linux
>>
>>61153449
Are you even reading the thread? Are you retarded?
>>
>>61153487

eat shit
>>
>>61152910
Will probably still work fine on windows. Make sure you have backups either way. If you boot in windows, disable fastboot and then shutdown CLEANLY it might already work fine.
>>
>>61153542
do tell me why he cant get a vm then
>>
>>61153288
>his only copy of something important was "on C:/"
>because disks never fail

you're problem is bigger than that you formatted it, you might be retarded
>>
>>61152910
>ntfs
asked for it
>>
Windows will happily grind up a corrupted NTFS volume and bitrot it, you'll just think it's normal and reinstall every couple of months anyway. Linux on the other hand will refuse to corrupt your data. When in doubt, always mount with -o ro.
>>
>>61153255
Any updates, OP?
>>
File: image.png (121KB, 474x696px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
121KB, 474x696px
>>61152918
>>61152968
>>61152971
>>61153003
Pajeet shills begone!
>>
>>61153700

Nope. Unable to access that partition.
Will probably install oracle vm and boot windows once I can download a copy
>>
>>61153700
im not op, im someone with a similar mounting issue. Ive been delaying it, will do it in a sex
>>
>>61152910
You did not lose your files and you should do what the error message said...
Your mistake was using a joke filesystem like ntfs...
>>
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NTFS-3G#Damaged_NTFS_filesystems
>>
You should have started out with VANILLA UBUNTU which is the POLISHED VERSION WITHOUT ALL THE NECKBEARD BUGS. Ignore hobbyists.
>>
>>61153794
He should have started is OS X which is at least certified UNIX.
>>
>>61153794
ubuntu would have this issue too

>>61153828
this would have had the same issue too
>>
>>61153863

Not necessarily. Mate's automounter had this issue.
>>
>>61153863
OS X would have simply deleted the partition without causing any headaches. OPs gonna fuck it up too just after some headaches.
>>
>>61153655
>have limited internet connection and cant download a windows image
>>
>>61153828
What's UNIX about it?
>>
>>61152910
OP, everyone ITT is retarded. You broke your original partition table when you installed linux.

Install gparted and gpart, Try the recovery inside gparted. If that doesn't work, search testdisk and try using that to recover the ntfs partitions. If that doesn't work, use same program to recover individual files.
>>
>>61153876
yeah? i said it would

>>61153879
what a great solution; delete all the data...
>>
if you used vanilla ubuntu installer you would never have had these problems. If you're a scrub, use the vanilla install and then install the alternative desktop later. Ignore what hobbyists tell you.
>>
>>61153143
>>61153134
oh Oh OHHHHHHHH Man you right here, fucking sysadmin god or something. I owe you. Thanks
>>
>>61154069

>blindly running commands from 4chan
>with sudo
>>
>>61154085
i googled it before running it of course, it seemed like it couldnt do anything bad. Also i dont use sudo, i use su since i have no other users
>>
>>61152910
Windows didn't properly handle the partition, probably didn't unmount it properly. Booting into windows should make your windows check the disk. After it's done you can safely shut it down and boot into Linux. Linux basically doesn't want to mess with the windows partition just in case.
I had the exact same issue. So it was fixed simply by
>reboot into windows
>black screen telling me windows will check the device
>wait 1 minute
>boots onto desktop
>reboot into Linux
>it works now

You didn't lose files and you didn't mess anything up, windows did.
>>
>>61154138
Ignore this, I didn't read the post where you said you no longer have windows. Just install it into an empty partition and everything should be fine. Or mount the device in read only mode, back everything up and format it.
>>
>>61154159
this wont mount in ro
>>
>>61154159
You obviously didn't read the rest of the thread either, when OP stated he can't reinstall windows.
>>
>>61154224
He can literally download it onto his phone. I'm sure there are open wifi around his area. Or, bring the HDD to someone with windows.
>>
>>61154253
>>61154224
itt:op is retard?
>>
>>61153902
the whole fucking POSIX standard
>>
>>61153902
learn what unix means

>>61154412
not just that, even if you conform to posix you still need to pay to be unic "certified" (whole point of gnu really
>>
>>61153828
>UNIX certified
>poll doesn't work for 10 or so versions
lol
>>
Everyone: quit trying to use ntfs in Linux, there are file systems that outperform it in their sleep while having more features, and a Journaling system that actually works.
>>
>>61154531
ntfs works fine if it hasnt been assaulted by windows. plus getting extX running on windows if you ever have to is a nightmare. not only can it not run an encrypted disk the driver is something like 8 years old abandonware thats buggy as hell
>>
>>61154069
>>61154436
Unix was a time sharing operating system for minicomputer. All resources were shared from a mainframe, local HDD was was only used for cache. There is very little that is similar to UNIX. Nice non-answer, btw.
>>
I couldn't even get through the installer of Ubuntu without errors

Linux is only free if your time is, etc
>>
>>61154889
replied to wrong person?
>>
FOUND A FIX!!!!!!!
install gentoo
>>
Lol babby having trouble with his shitty microsoft filesystem.

Literally says to run chkdsk. Use a windows preboot and run chkdsk /f on that disk. Got a windows install media? Boot to that and open up a command line, you know.. Where it says "Do you want to repair your computer, and have your poopy little bum wiped?". Otherwise use BartPE.
>>
OP here. Found a fix.

Got a windows 10 copy on a pendrive from a friend, formatted that shit and installed an OS that isn't assbackwards as fuck.

Gonna run Linux in a virtual machine
>>
>>61155873
Yeah, it's totally Linux's fault that NTFS is a steaming pile of shit.
>>
>>61152910
>falling for the meme.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.