[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

memes aside, why are there still people who recommend Ubuntu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: linux.png (1MB, 1431x602px) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
1MB, 1431x602px
memes aside, why are there still people who recommend Ubuntu over Mint?
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
>>61152573
this image is a great bait
Mint is horrible so Ubuntu
There are alternatives to both that are user friendly
>>
>>61152573
Because mint is trash
>>
>>61153696
Mint with MATE is great and the perfect starter linux
>>
>>61153725
>MATE
Trash
>Mint
Garbage
>>
>>61152573
How is Robert Fripp a mint user?
He is a purist. He is more of a Parabola or a Trisquel user
>>
File: 1498216306648.png (463KB, 743x720px) Image search: [Google]
1498216306648.png
463KB, 743x720px
Mint is bloated af and just is an even moar outdated ubuntu
>>
they are both trash
>>
>>61152586
This
>>
>>61154771
>weeb
Go to hell. Your opinion doesn't count
>>
>>61154839
anime website
>>
File: its.jpg (70KB, 625x468px) Image search: [Google]
its.jpg
70KB, 625x468px
>>61152573
Obviously if you're recommending either mint or ubuntu it's for a casual who needs a garden variety for their fb and youtube. Both would fit the bill. Fitness to purpose. Ubuntu is saddled with their grotesque gap style marketing and intrusive data mining behaviour though, which kind of trumps everything else in a bad way. I've put mint on computers owned by normie users and they've had zero problems. Even the females!

Once I'm satisfied that there's a systemd free system in the same usage category I'll switch to that.
>>
File: 4hstnsawus2y.jpg (52KB, 700x573px) Image search: [Google]
4hstnsawus2y.jpg
52KB, 700x573px
Can somebody redpill me on ubuntu? Didn't know there was something wrong it
>>
>>61152573
>Who recommend Ubuntu over Ubuntu
Lmao
>>
>>61156422
There was some ubuntu amazon integration stuff in unity at one time but it's gone now.
>>
>>61152573
Security is shite on mint everyti.e you reboot some shit gets rewritten by mint their package testing is a joke.
>>
OK. The first fucking 2 words were "Memes aside".
Let's start this thread over again.
Why the fuck do people still use ubuntu instead of mint?
>>
I only recommend ubuntu lts.
>>
>>61156422
The ubuntu website was hacked.
Because of this, ubuntu will forever be tainted as insecure and shoddily maintained.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/07/ubuntu-forums-hacked-2-million-usernames-stolen
>>
>>61158684
>not mentioning Mints much more severe hack
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
>>
Ubuntu is a 100 times better than Linux Mint. The good contribution from Mint to the linux mint are there DEs.
>>
File: 435345435.jpg (25KB, 515x600px) Image search: [Google]
435345435.jpg
25KB, 515x600px
>tfw I just want an easy to use linux
>Ubuntu and mint are compromised
>>
>>61159832
*scene sorry
>>61159875
dont see why they would be compromised. any software has vulnerabilities, update and youll be fine.
>>
what's a good user friend lot distro that isn't shit?
>>
>>61159020
>ubuntu and mint both had their sites hacked.
mint is an indicator of a larger prob but ubuntu's isn't.
OK kid.
>>
>>61152573
I am genuinely astounded Mint is still going, it was a shitty flavour of the month distro used by twelve year olds like a decade ago because it saved them the hassle of enabling compiz in Ubuntu.

It's a shitty, poorly slapped together distro that doesn't belong on a technology discussion board.
>>
File: weeaboo.jpg (1MB, 1400x2015px) Image search: [Google]
weeaboo.jpg
1MB, 1400x2015px
>>61154839
>>
>>61160335
ubuntu is shit and so is compiz.
mint is a gui improvement with some noob idiot-proofing.
>>
>>61154771
Ubuntu was developed by nsa. That's why its so up to date
>>
>>61160323
> isn't a larger problem
> except Ubuntu is nsa go to choice
>>
>>61152573

sage and report this crap
>>
>>61160323
Ubuntu got their forums hacked, passwords were replaced with random strings as login is handled by another Ubuntu service, and even the fucking random strings were properly hashed and salted. It's bad, they leaked IPs, usernames and emails, it looks awful for them but it's also not the end of the world.

Mint got their forums hacked, passwords were salted in a way they could be deciphered by scriptkiddies, the download link on their site was replaced with a backdoored one so anyone that grabbed it was instantly compromised system wide, they don't update the kernel by default and blacklist updates for things that are too much work to fix. Yeah totally the same scale my dude.

>>61159875
>>61160295
An Ubuntu spin like Gnome or XFCE is best bet for retard proof, if you can follow instructions to set some things up post install Fedora is bae, so is Debian
>>
>>61152573
Because ubuntu has more specific tutorials, documentation, forum posts etc
Not to mention spins.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.