[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 36

File: 1480414637430.jpg (18KB, 403x274px) Image search: [Google]
1480414637430.jpg
18KB, 403x274px
Ye Olde Tread: >>61125626
>>
Is intel still the best if you ignore price?
>>
File: prsave.png (3KB, 531x53px) Image search: [Google]
prsave.png
3KB, 531x53px
I have 2 monitors and use manajro with i3. I need to set them up everytime I boot.
when I save the config in b-menu it tells me pic related. What autostart file do they mean?
>>
If i print something at my university, is there any way the document is somehow saved on the printer?
Can someone see all the documents printed from it?
>>
What's the optimal filesystem for sharing a hoarder drive between Windows and Linux?
>>
>>61141140
I work at first-level support in a tech company and can see the filenames of the things people print, when they printed it and on which printer... But not the file itself... Guess your concern wouldn't be impossible but a little over the top imo
>>
>>61141136
Different places but a safe bet is ~/.xprofile
>>
How can I check the bandwidth consumption on each firefox tab?
>>
>>61141179
FAT32 and zip everything so it splits every 4GB.
>>
Can I use a cheap macbook charger off amazon, or are they too shit compared to an official one?
>>
File: 1493938427580.jpg (44KB, 234x228px) Image search: [Google]
1493938427580.jpg
44KB, 234x228px
Lenovo or asus for prebuilt laptops?
Does it matter?
>>
>>61141372
Lenovo.
ASUS has no warranty at all.
>>
>>61141372
Both are shit anyways
>>
>>61141372
Lenovo is malware. Go Asus.
>>
>>61141281
They are shit compared to the official one, but the official one is shit too so it doesnt matter.

Its not a charger, but an adapter.
>>
>>61141391
What would you suggest?
>>61141388
>>61141397
Getting conflicting messages here...I just wanna game and look at dirty pictures online boys...
>>
>>61141408
Lenovo is good harware wise, but they like to add malware and adware to their windows installs.

Easy fixed with just reinstalling windows, which you should do with any computer you get to get rid of bloatware.

ASUS has no warranty at all, so if you have any problem thats it.
>>
>>61141281
Is yours broken? Try going to an Apple Store and telling them it broke. Last time they gave me a new one free of charge, even though my warranty had long expired
>>
>>61141372
Sager.
>>
>>61141427
While it would be dumb for them to do the same fuckup twice, they have released bios malware in the past that would survive a clean install.
>>
File: 1474803079458.png (6KB, 224x154px) Image search: [Google]
1474803079458.png
6KB, 224x154px
I have a weird issue in MPC-HC. I have a .srt file for subtitles and they do show up in the video, but when I press the F1/2 keys (to delay or speed them up) it says subtitles not loaded or not supported by the renderer. Also pic related is grayed out. What can I do for it to be properly recognized so I can make use of the subresync feature? I tried a few different renderers, like madVR, Video Mixing Renderer 9 in the menu etc but nothing fixes it.
>>
>>61141443
They removed it when they got banned from supplying stuff to certain places of Europe and US.
>>
>>61141427
Ok thanks, guess ill go with lenovo and wipe it down then.
>>
>>61141183
So you've never actually heard of tech support people printing documents others had printed before?
Not something the police would be able to do if they had to? (No, it's not anything illegal or incriminating, just hypothetical)
>>
>>61141545
Printing out nationalist fliers, anon?
And not him but theoretically they could do that, just save every printed file to some disk, but the volume at a university is likely to be so high that they won't bother.
>>
>>61141522
Lenovo and ASUS are not the only options.

Dell is the best option of all when it comes to everything.
HP is the worst thanks to their shitty cooling and planned obsolescence of their laptops.

Avoid Acer and similar brands.
>>
I'm thinking about migrating from Ubuntu-based to Debian-based distros.
I have my home directory on its own partition so I should be able to keep that when installing Debian.
The question is, is Ubuntu's home directory compatible with Debian (as in, if I reinstall a package in Debian, will it fetch the config files from the home directory)?
Or should I just wipe the home directory and start fresh?

TL;DR: How much data can I salvage when migrating from Ubuntu to Debian?
>>
>>61141589
Ubuntu and Debian are very closely related so you're probably not going to have any issues. When I went from Arch to Ubuntu I was fine.
>>
>>61141521
Also microsoft made them release a bios upgrade patch that would remove the offending code. But think about that. They actually released code so fucked that you could completely reinstall windows from clean media and still have their malware instantly start redownloading itself. It was literally impossible to bypass before they were forced into releasing the patch. And how many people don't even know how to upgrade their bios? There are still laptops roaming around with that shit. Then there's the time they broke ssl encryption on all webpages, leaving an easily exploited backdoor. They keep fucking up, and that's just the known shit software side. They're about as shady as a manufacturer can be and still stay in business.
>>
>>61141429
I need a new battery because it's fucked and I also need an adaptor because I don't have one. I called apple and they said they don't carry my battery anymore because it's from 2011 and discontinued.
>>
Is kapersky worth it?
>>
>>61141557
As i said, just hypothetical. But for your info, it's just very personal and i won't show anyone else

But thanks for your response
>>
>>61141567
HP's gotten a little better, and anything in their semi-buisness category ismore resilient. Agreed that dell is pretty solid if you're willing to pay the premium. Their factory outlet might be a good option if he doesn't mind open-box or something.
>>
Is it perfectly safe to give random strangers online your address for bitcoin or other currencies?
>>
>>61141745
When it's free.
>>
>>61141776
If you're using a sane wallet and regularly generate new addresses then yes. Two addresses generated with the same wallet's private key can't be linked together (in theory at least).

If, however, you reuse that exact same address later they'll be able to look up your transactions. So don't do that.
>>
>>61141825
Aren't all transactions traceably linked anyway? Otherwise what's the point of tumblers?
>>
>>61141825
I'm using Exodus, and i don't think i can change the address. Or at least, i don't know how to
But i found a website that says it's doing free giveaways every so often, is it safe to insert my address there?
>>
>Windows 10
Now with that out of the way, does entering a product key permanently embed a Windows 10 activation right into the BIOS or something? I know that's what prebuilts and upgrades from Windows 7/8 do. But I build my brother a computer a year ago and bought a Windows 10 key for it. Well of course, that shit is lost now and his drive died. But upon installing Windows 10, it didn't need a key to be activated. So does a computer simply having Windows 10 on it at any time make that motherboard always allow for an activation? ProduKey on both his computer and mine show the same product key, mine being a Windows 7 upgrade and his being an actual Windows 10 key, so it's confusing. I figured the generic product key that persists across multiple computers would only be for upgrade ones.
I just wanna make sure this shit will never start asking him for a real key. It says it's activated and checking it through he CMD even says "permanently activated"
>>
>>61141855
All transactions are traceable. But if you have address A and you give it to a malicious stranger, then you go to coinbase or something and buy some bitcoins, using a different address B would allow you to keep your coinbase bitcoins separate. Also if the bitcoins were to later move from A to B the malicious third party would have no way of knowing B belongs to you - for all they'd know you just used the bitcoins they paid you to pay someone else.

>>61141867
Never used Exodus, but it shouldn't be too hard. I use Armory and you can auto-generate a new address every single time someone wants to send you bitcoins.

Also that website sounds like a scam, even if addresses are non-secret information be careful - they might try to trick you into paying them instead, or they might ask for other details, etc.
>>
File: header.jpg?t=1493220159.jpg (49KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1493220159.jpg
49KB, 460x215px
>>61140848
I got following setup:
- 2GB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti Windforce
- 8GB Ram DDR3
- i5 4460 @ 3.2 GHz

what do I have to improve to run PUBG? tried everything, nvidia config etc. nothing worked.
>>
>>61141928
>2GB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti Windforce

Get a better graphics card.
>>
>>61141985
is it really just my graphics card? so if I buy the 1050ti @ 4GB vram it should be fine?
>>
>>61141764
Envy line still has the same problems than DV series.
Elitebook line downgraded in quality.
Spectre is ok but its a 2-1 tablet, not a laptop.
>>
What's the best way to get good internet in an outhouse at the end of the garden? It's about 30-40m away from the house, and the router's in the living room from where you have to go through a conservatory to get to the garden. Is it possible to get decent latency using only wireless boosters, or would I need to pass a cable? I'm not a CS:GO world champion but I'd still like decent ping when sperging out in like rocket league or something (speaking of rocket league, it starts rubberbanding unbearably above 100ms ping, so I'd like to avoid that).

If I do have to pass a cable, would it have to be connected to the router's ethernet port or is it possible to just extend the house's broadband/phone line, hook up another microfilter and maybe some other sort of networking doohickey and get it to connect to the same LAN?
>>
>>61141996
Yes.
Your CPU is just werks tier and will be for a long time.

The difference between a GTX 750Ti and a 1050Ti is huge.
>>
>>61142037
Thank you anon
>>
>>61141996
Also dont buy Mini versions of GTX 1050Ti, they lack VRM cooling which is important.

PUBG either works at low or ultra presets, everything in the middle will give you problems.

Look at streamers playing at low settings because the game is a mess when it comes to optimization.
>>
>>61141179
NTFS
>>
>>61141928
My setup:
gtx 1080
8GB Ram DDR3
i5 3570k @ 4.2

I can't do anything to improve the game. The game is just optimized like shit dude. In the lobby I get 30 fps with everything on low except AA on high.
>>
>>61141914
Your hardware all has unique serial numbers. The mobo's one is given primary importance. Drives don't matter for shit. When windows installs, it checks those numbers against it's online database. In general, as long as you don't change out the mobo, windows will reactivate automatically the first time you're online.
>>
>>61142063
Could you show an example of a non "mini" version? theres tons of 1050 versions, now that I look at them.
>>
>>61141925
>Also that website sounds like a scam, even if addresses are non-secret information be careful - they might try to trick you into paying them instead, or they might ask for other details, etc.
But so long as they don't ask for anything more, there's no actual danger, is there?

I mean, i've seen youtubers that share their bitcoin address in their videos, so if it's safe for them, it should be for me, right?
>>
>>61142085
Mini versions are pretty much all the small/single fan versions that use a sunflower aluminium only heatsink.

Non mini would be the dual fan versions.
>>
>>61142079
oh shit, so you do have a similar setup and even upgrading to 1080 isnt going to cut it?
>>
>>61142082
That's what I figured, I was just surprised it does that even when you buy a Windows 10 key. I thought that was only for upgrades and prebuilts. It's convenient, but at the same time might get fucked if I ever need to change is motherboard unless that purchased product key turns up somewhere.
>>
I want to treat myself to something since payday is comming.

What should I get? I thought about getting myself a gaming system but I don't really have time for gaming now....
>>
>>61142096
thanks anon, that makes it easier.
>>
>>61142099
The game is just badly optimized, thats it.
You have a really old and weak GPU tho.
>>
how can I use a second router as a link to my main router
>>
>>61142090
A wise person once said: if it's a scam, don't try to be clever, just walk away: they're in it to make money from idiots, not to pay clever people.

That said, some scams accept paying out to some clever fuckers in exchange for all the profit they make from the idiots; or maybe the website makes money from advertising, or has a pyramid-scheme like business model, or whatever.

Either way, if literally all you do is give them your bitcoin address, it should be fine, yeah. Just be wary.
>>
>>61142120
We dont know what do you currently have, both in computer specs and stuff in general.
Buy yourself a tshirt and some pants.

If you are currently looking to waste money on computer stuff.

Buy a laptop, get a X220 with IPS screen for cheap.
Build a computer skip the GPU if you wont play games.
>>
>>61140848
I have an odroid C2 currently running as a headless mpd and httpd server. Music is on a powered external hdd. Using a wired ssh connection with ncmpcpp, mpd still sometimes lags and hangs. causing occasional stuttering and mpd hanging when switching alot of songs.
My music database consists of 28k songs.

What could be the cause of the stutter?
Can't seem to find any errors, the hdd should be fast enough, and since it's wired the ssh shouldn't be lagging either.
Could it be the large library, and if so, how would I fix this?
>>
>>61142079
>>61142126
Holy shit, so it even runs like shit. Remind me why it's better than H1Z1 again?

I honestly thought it was supposed to be more polished or whatever, but it seems like it's just overhyped to hell and back.
>>
>>61142119
If you bought an OEM license it's not meant to move to a new computer. Broken mobo's are usually a passable excuse though. You can pair your licence to your microsoft account and that helps. Occasionally you have to use the automated hotline, which is no big.
>>
what's a cheap gpu to pair with a ryzen if I don't play games
I heard the ryzen will be getting igpus, but when
>>
>>61142126
the upgrade seems pretty cheap, so I'll go with that, thanks.
>>
>>61142162
I currently have a shit PC and not really looking for a laptop.

I'm thinking about getting something that could turn into a hobby like a guitar or something
>>
this a decent build? I know there's a building thread but I never got replied:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wd6xvV
>>
>>61142186
Welcome to gaming in general.
The game is just a mod of another game, literally.

Still fun to play with friends but gets repetitive.
>>
>>61142216
ASRock is not the best motherboard maker.
You are lacking a graphics card, AMD CPUs (outside APUs) dont have a integrated GPU.

What you will do with it?
>>
File: file.png (8KB, 364x64px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
8KB, 364x64px
>>61142189
This is what I bought back in 2015 when I built the computer, so that clears everything up. Thanks.
>>
>>61142142
Run an ethernet cable between their lan ports. Then find a guide for setting the second router as an access point. You basically disable the second router's routing functions and use it strictly for wifi/additional ports. The routers will share wifi settings, so devices can pass back and forth freely.
>>
>>61142099
So I just booted up the game:
keep in mind I have a gtx 1080 and 3570k

GPU usage: 19%
CPU: ~ 85.

This was in the lobby. What I'm trying to say is that the game doesn't utilize the GPU much. I would rec downloading MSI after burner, riva tuner and seeing what your GPU vs CPU usage is.
>>
>>61142236
Ah I already have a gpu and storage so I didn't add them on because I wanted a price estimate of the other stuff. I'll most likely be using a 1050ti till my friend sends his 1080. I'll be using it for some gaming, programming, and editing. Any recommendations for the mobo?
>>
Can anyone recommend a good manga reader app that's compatible with a 1st generation Kindle Fire? I basically just want to display images from inside a .zip, I don't care about any other features.

I'm currently using Perfect Viewer but it's extremely unstable and constantly crashes. Only reason I have it is because it's the first app I found that was actually compatible with the old-ass android version on my 2011 kindle.
>>
>>61142161
>or maybe the website makes money from advertising
Yeah, there's a lot of advertisements there

And also, i just realized they say they won't do a payout before i've claimed a certain amount, which is going to take quite a while...

But yeah, thanks for your opinion, might just drop it
>>
>>61142275
I'll give it a look, could help figuring out if its really just the GPU and how much it actually gets drained.
>>
>>61142335
Probably a MSI X370 motherboard.
Everything else looks fine.
>>
>>61142424
Thank you
>>
How much information about my pc and general daily activities on that pc am I giving away if I turn on Windows 10 Cortana?
Should I care if I'm not paranoid and have nothing to hide?
>>
OS X users:

I want to install OS X for the first time and have both an SSD and a mechanical. Is there a way I can set it up to install the system files to the SSD and have my home directory on the mechanical, like you can with Linux?
>>
>>61142445
>How much information about my pc and general daily activities on that pc am I giving away if I turn on Windows 10 Cortana?
Considerable amount of anything you run.

>Should I care if I'm not paranoid and have nothing to hide?
Yes since it uses a considerable amount of resources.
>>
>>61142205
A Thinkpad X220 is $150-200, if you work is nice to have a laptop around.
A good PC is $700-900.

But a hobby? well that is pretty much up to what you like.
>>
File: 4lgBnM0.png (649KB, 606x650px) Image search: [Google]
4lgBnM0.png
649KB, 606x650px
Does anyone know a converter for FLAC to MP3?

I know I can do it in audacity but I need to do it in bulk for like 300 files. 320 or V0 is fine
>>
>>61142561
FFMPEG.
>>
>>61142571
Is there a gui verison for retards?
>>
>>61142561
LAME
>>
>>61142561
ffmpeg -i flac.flac mp3.mp3
done
>>
File: 960evo.jpg (100KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
960evo.jpg
100KB, 800x600px
If a laptop supports "2280 M.2 PCIe SSDs" then this 960 EVO should work, right?
>>
>>61142391
>Yeah, there's a lot of advertisements there
>And also, i just realized they say they won't do a payout before i've claimed a certain amount, which is going to take quite a while...
That's probably their business model then, so it's probably safe from a fraud/phishing/other types of outright theft standpoint.

They lure people in with the promise of free money, then make sure the people stay for an extended period of time because otherwise they aren't able to actually withdraw this money, and all the while they're pumping out ad money. The only downside to participating in something like this is that, like many other "free/easy money" schemes, if you work it out you're actually getting paid below minimum wage - so you'd actually be better off getting a part-time job at your local McDonalds for a couple hours a week than clicking butons on an ad-infested website.
>>
>>61142795
Which laptop?
That is only a form factor.

But all laptops with a M2 Slot should support NVMe SSDs so yeah.
>>
does or can chrome use a different sound system to chromium on linux? cause i wasn't even thinking about it i was just like "this sounds way better" and then realised i was using chrome. less distorted.
>>
File: multicom2.png (52KB, 1744x636px) Image search: [Google]
multicom2.png
52KB, 1744x636px
>>61142819

This one (from a Norwegian store):

https://www.multicom.no/partdetailinfo.aspx?q=p:10637297;gr:0
>>
>>61142976
Thats one high end laptop except for the GPU.
Yeah it will work with no problems.
>>
What's a good crypto to be mining right now? lbry or eth or something else?
>>
>>61143023

good to hear. thanks!

(the GPU was the lightest possible nvidia option - wasn't really looking for a gaming laptop, but needed something that could test CUDA programs)
>>
Are there any decent alternatives to Kodi?
It works fine for regular movies, but completely chokes when trying to catalog my chinese cartoons.
>>
>>61143249
plex
minidlna
>>
File: Firehazzard.png (401KB, 784x540px) Image search: [Google]
Firehazzard.png
401KB, 784x540px
Do the current Nvidia cards still refuse to underclock when more than one monitor is connected?
>>
I've got ~£300 to buy a laptop (can buy from ebay). I'll be using it for pretty much everything, at university I'm going to study CS. I want a trackpoint, 1080p screen, decent processor. Should I get a Dell Latitude, HP Elitebook, or Thinkpad? Also which model. Thanks.
>>
Is there a decent dynamic WM that just has the automatic snap to the sides/corners thing that awesome and whatever Plasma's default is has? Using Openbox right now and that's literally the only thing it doesn't have that I would want. There was a forum thread that had instructions for adding that feature to it, but the thread doesn't exist anymore, and if it's keyboard shortcuts only then I don't want to bother with it.
>>
File: 1251344445382.jpg (82KB, 400x368px) Image search: [Google]
1251344445382.jpg
82KB, 400x368px
Windows 7 64bit on a Mac Pro 1.1
So it requires modifying a 7 Disc and burning one that will run, that will not give the choose disc type error and no keyboard input.
Every link to instructions on what to do seem to be broken. Any Ideas?
>>
I have a shitty modem that is not sending the dhcp config to my computer and i don't know it's default ip to set the connection manually, what a fuck should i do?

Ps: It's a adsl modem but i'm trying to access it without the dsl cable, it does matter have internet access on the modem for the dhcp work?
>>
Is there some input device as accurate as a computer mouse but wont hurt the hell out of your wrists
>>
I have a lot of pictures in a folder, some are of the same thing but they're a different res, file type or size so I can't even put them together with the windows sorting. Is there a way to get rid of these nonidentical duplicates or will I have to go through manually?
>>
>>61144551
Try Visipics, works great for me. The fact that they're all in the same folder makes it scan faster, too.
>>
What's a weather application I can use for windows 7? The desktop gadgets don't work anymore.
>>
>>61144746
when do i take usb out when installing windows 10
>>
>>61142561
Foobar converter is the only way.
>>
>>61144143
No?
IIRC that is only a problem with Kepler and older cards.
>>
>>61144538
Trackpoint.
Other than that, not much.

The gimmick ball maybe but its not comfortable to use for a long time.
>>
>>61144746
Your local weather website.
>>
>>61144626
works like a dream, thanks
>>
Do you guys have any books about machine learning or neural networks you would reccomend?
>>
whats the difference between terminal and shell? Are the just the same? And are they just a way for human to make orders to machine?
>>
How much actual impact does font antialiasing have on GUI performance? I'm ricing a 1gig RAM T42 and want to know if there's any point in suffering the sight of unfiltered fonts.
>>
>>61145207
Terminal is the thing you write in, shell is the 'language' you write.

Terminal could be termite, xterm, guake
Shell could be sh, bash, zsh etc.
>>
>>61142561
You can export in bulk in audacity.
File > Export Multiple
>>
Alright boys I broke the screen on my phone (huawei p9 lite) and I really need the contacts that are on the phone. Touch screen doesn't work and I can't just plug it via USB because USB debugging on the phone is disabled or some shit. All the options I googled have failed, you're my only hope /g/
>>
Will my Phenom II X4 b97 bottleneck a GTX 750 ti?
>>
>>61145916
no
>>
>>61145916
No, still dont get one unless its free.

Get a GTX 1050Ti.
>>
>>61145993
Already got one. Fuck.
>>
>>61146036
Return it?
The difference is considerable between the 2.
>>
>>61146042
I got it on Craigslist a couple of hours ago for $40. Haven't put it installed it yet.
>>
>>61146060
>$40
Then its ok.
I thought you got it at full price.

Its a old Just Werk GPU which is not exactly good enough for most games.
>>
>>61146060
For that price its worth it
>>
File: monitors.png (4KB, 963x307px) Image search: [Google]
monitors.png
4KB, 963x307px
I have 2 main monitors and a TV plugged into my PC. The TV currently mirrors Monitor 2. I want the TV to be extended as its own desktop, but I want to be able to preview what's on it on one of my main 2 monitors (because I can't normally see the TV from where I sit at the PC).

Is there a simple way to do a Picture-in-Picture of Desktop 3 within Desktop 1 or 2, without a stupid overhead of screen capture software?

The reason is, I want both main monitors free even when someone is watching something on the TV, and also since my monitors are 1080p but the TV is 4k I'm currently not able to use the TV in 4k mode since it's mirroring the 1080p Monitor 2.
>>
>>61146072
>>61146075
Great. Is there any modern games I shouldn't even be bothered to download because they won't run on my rig like Battlefield 1 Titanfall 2 ect?
>>
>>61146115
no
>>
>>61146115
Should have clarified the PC runs Windows 7, but I'm curious to hear solutions for other systems too.

>>61146136
That's not what I wanted to hear.
>>
>>61144158
don't buy anything from dell,lenovo or HP.
you get more than your money's worth but they go bad and break very quickly.
>I have a shitty modem that is not sending the dhcp config to my computer
have you tried manually configuring your dchp according your provider?
>>
>>61146248
>have 3 Dell ST2410 monitors
>buy them in 2009
>they still work in this current year with no dead pixels or otherwise any blemishes
U R Wrong
Dell are very high quality and are one of top brands to get
>>
So lately the GPU prices have been skyrocketing because people are mining bitcoin again or something?

I thought it proved to be inefficient to mine bitcoins with consumer GPUs unless you had some huge racks of mining rigs?

Why is bitcoin mining or whatever in again?

I thought
>>
>>61144158
IMB Thinkpad.

HP sucks, Dell will be expensive, Lenovo Thinkpads are called chinkpads for a reason.
>>
>>61145721
is it on the SIM card or the phone itself? if its on the phone itself just download some app like MCbackup
>>
>>61146287
Yes.
Guess why all are gone.
Bitcoin hit $2900 a while ago, people are mining random coins too.
>>
JavaScript question:
array[1,2,3,4,5]
array.push(entry)
array.splice(4,1)
print(array[4])

What would this print? Does the array roll after a splice?
>>
>>61146317
it rolls
>>
>>61146281
i meant for laptops.
if sony makes great TV's it doesn't mean they make great phones.
its really hard to design something complex as a phone or a computer in such a competitive market
>>
>>61146287
Its not for bitcoin its for a new currenty calle etherum or some shit.The crypto works better on gpu then it does on asic cause of the math
>>
>>61146297
Its on the phone. I still need to use my phone though to access this app, which I can't do because the screen and touch screen don't work so I'm back to square 1
>>
>>61146434
maybe try this
https://www.recovery-android.com/transfer-android-contacts-computer.html
>>
holy shit why are 1080's so fucking expensive now?

was $500 like 2 weeks ago...

are people mining with them or some shit? wtf
>>
>>61140848
Anyone with windows 10 (I know it sucks) run into a problem where it will not launch some applications that minimize to the task bar? I can remove and re-install them all I want, they just quit launching. Gonna switch to Win 7 soon, but I thought I'd ask a stupid question first.
>>
>>61146531
Mining fad is back.
It will return to normal once the bubble bursts again.
>>
I upgraded from my old moto g to a g5plus. Cut the old sim card so it would fit in the nano sim slot. Now calls and sms work but data doesn't. I tried configuring the APN, but to no avail. Is this worth any more time trying to fix on my own or should I just get a new sim card? Carrier is ATT if it matters.
>>
>>61146646
you should have bought another sim and transfer your number to it
>>
How do I into getting money with whats it called "mining"?
I want an easy, simple way.
>>
File: 1498450786165.png (72KB, 1086x653px) Image search: [Google]
1498450786165.png
72KB, 1086x653px
https://www.dellrefurbished.com/desktop-computers/dell-optiplex-3010-63184.html

Looking at this so that I could have a box running day and night with relatively low power + transcoding for my local Plex media distribution

Any good, if not alternatives? I like the NUC but they seem to cost more for similar performance. Plex.com says passmark 2000 recommended to be sure of good performance.
>>
>>61146861
What should I do after 'Automate the Boring Stuff' to learn Python?

Alternatively, any good books for learning Python?
>>
>>61146861
You can pull i5 2400 systems off ebay for $100.
>>
File: confuse.gif (62KB, 260x200px) Image search: [Google]
confuse.gif
62KB, 260x200px
So, I have a controller hooked up to my multi-monitor PC. I usually have vidya on one monitor, and whatever else I'd doing on the other
In some games, I can use the mouse independently of the controller- they don't steal focus from each other (Binding of Isaac does this for example).
However, nearly every other game doesn't work like that. Is there any sort of fix for this? Any piece of software that can force the mouse and controller input to be separate?
>>
>>61146960
Are these possibly power inefficient systems? Left on all year compared to the fan-less NUC systems
>>
Alright gents. Give it to me straight. Situation in life is not so good right now. Health and family issues to sum it up. Always been good with computing and finding resources. That's how I learned a foreign language for nothing at all. I want to do the same thing with programming to start, then delve into cyber security. Though I am willing to pay if I need to. Then snag a help desk job somewhere and prove my way up the ladder.

Where the fuck is step 0 for programming? Aka where the hell do I start? That's the hardest part. Finding what to use and how was the hardest part of learning Nipspeak. Once I got going it was easy. Looking to do the same self-teaching approach with programming, then snag a low-level gig after few years of experience, then delve deeper into cyber security on my own. Pls halp. Self-teachers, where did you start?
>>
Redpill me on buying a used Surface Pro 3

I want one for uni and I feel like it'd be good
>>
>>61146646
I doubt it is your sim that is the problem if you can make calls
>>
>>61147073
They're like 70W idle. Nothing that will kill you. They're also faster than a NUC and won't throttle like one.

>>61147276
>Redpill me
Why would you want lies and mindless memes?
>>
>>61147265
Check out the learn X the hard way for your preferred language.
>>
>>61147265
codeacademy - simple math exercises like game making,web. this will entail working with framewokers.
get an openstack and github accounts.
i honestly don't fucking know anymore, just have something to show for. try to bypass HR much as possible when applying for work
>>
>>61147312
Your thinking of the blue pill
>>
Can someone tell me about the ekansovi thing? Back when there were lots of threads about it I checked whether I had the cookies and whether it showed up in umatrix. I didn't see any cookies and the domain didn't show up in umatrix. I stumpled upon a post in the archives and read a few other threads about it and apparently umatrix isn't enough. Is this true? Also did anyone ever find out what the whole thing was even about.
>>
>>61147365
In short, a websocket exploit to track people who browsed certain boards using the old 1x1 gif trick.
Now removed.
>>
>>61147355
Says the person who doesn't know the difference between your and you're.
>>
>>61147365
Also uMatrix blocked it, Hell even uBlock origin alone.
>>
>>61147374
That much I know but who made it? Also will I be daijoibou if I had ublock, umatrix and didn't spot any cookies? Browser is firefox.
>>
File: Ellender-Hall-Floor-Planp.png (106KB, 385x419px) Image search: [Google]
Ellender-Hall-Floor-Planp.png
106KB, 385x419px
This is a picture of a dorm. Would it be a good idea to rotate the desk so that the back of the chair is facing the wall?
>>
>>61147276
get the new one for $700, you get the student discount

New one with lowest spec m3 is better than the SP3 with an i7 technically, especially since the m3 has the Kaby Lake graphics capabilities for the high resolution screen

Also massively better battery
>>
>>61147413
>uBlock Origin
Only manually.

>>61147414
Only Hiro and the dev team know.
And yes.
>>
>>61147416
You could have it so the monitor is facing your bed

This is probably just so that roommates barging in don't see your anime right?
>>
>>61147419
AU$1,079 for me, my dude

I can't afford it unfortunately

Thanks for your response, though
>>
>>61147430
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>61147416
If you want some privacy, yes.
>>
Is CEng saturated?
>>
>>61147416
wtf is a dorm? you don't have to sleep in there with 3 others do you.
lol
is this America by any chance?
sounds like some 3rd world shithole
>>
>>61147455
All decent colleges have dorms, both in first and 3rd world countries.
>>
>>61147444
Also consider the HP spectre x2 tablet thingy it is massively more powerful and battery life than the SP3

Basically getting a tablet computer without skylake or kabylake is a pretty bad idea. If you want haslel just get some refurbished business notebook and cut your losses.

Battery life is awful in ultra slim without 6/7 gen. Look at notebookcheck.com and see for yourself if you like.
>>
>>61147479
lol not in the UK or northern EU
fucking joke
how do you sleep at night with 3 other people
no privacy
someone gets up in night and flushes loo
u are American aren't you lol
you guys get served shit all day long you lap it up like choc cream and ask for more lol
Stockholm syndrome or some shit
red white and blue dick rammed up your ass so long you can't feel it
>>
>>61147504
You go to college to study and learn, not be an antisocial shit.
>>
what sort of software would I need to get a wifi password
>>
>>61147455
This is america
>>61147432
That would be better, but I want to be able to view/create NSFW content on it without doing it in front of my roommate while not doing it on an inferior device like a smartphone or a laptop.
>>61147520
Studying and getting educated is not synonymous with socializing
>>
>>61147568
The way I propose the only way he could see it is if he was in the bed and looking down at your screen

>>61147455
We do this dorm shit on purpose for social lyfe in college
>>
File: 1491684793642.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491684793642.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
I just started in IT and I want to get better at my job. I love it and my boss loves me, but I would like to find some sort of resource where I can learn how to tackle things easier. I mean I get that I just started and it's an experience thing, but I'm sure I can learn more from somewhere.
>>
>>61147608
udemy>?
>>
>>61147568
>Studying and getting educated is not synonymous with socializing

it is. half of your employment opportunities is from networking and being a team player.
the corporate world is not based on merit and skill anymore. this is why woman are hired twice as fast in stem
>>
>>61147637
>>61147568
It is true, you have to socialize and probably even leave /g/

I don't know what kind of amazing anime porn you draw but it better be good for this purpose
>>
>>61147568
>Studying and getting educated is not synonymous with socializing
It is, kinda.
Teachers will try to get you to work together with others even if you dont like it.
>>
I was looking at getting a Steam Link for some light casual gaming and maybe streaming movies, but apparently it's shocking without ethernet and my wifi is shit at best, but I can't actually run a cable from my modem to my TV as it's too impractical. My friend told me about adapters(?) that you plug into your wall and then a ethernet cable from them and they run at the same, or close to speeds but he couldn't remember what they were called. Does anyone know? And if so recommend any good ones?
>>
>>61147673
Literally this. It's exactly the same in Australia too. The only jobs you can get without knowing anyone are the ones with extremely high demand for workers; like teaching, for example.
>>
File: 1498356498833.jpg (145KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1498356498833.jpg
145KB, 720x960px
All I want to do is get a new hard drive that is larger than 1TB. I'm considering getting a 3TB or 4TB at the least, maybe larger. What brand should I consider for doing that? I've had trouble with Western Digital and Seagate several years ago and I don't know if they have ever gotten better, but I probably wouldn't prefer those. I've seen Toshiba having what I want, but I've read about people complaining about the noise and it failing on them. Any recommendations?
>>
>>61147673
that's not exactly socializing, that's communication
>>
>>61147726
HGST.
WD RED.

Seagate is still bad, WD is reliable outside 5200 RPM drives (Green rebrands and 2.5" Caviar blue).
>>
>>61146946

bump
>>
>>61147487
Thanks for the recommendation, I can pick that one up pretty cheap, evidently. I think I'll do it.
>>
Why the fuck does no OS let unprivileged users write boot code to removable drives they fucking own?

I fucked up my laptop real bad and just spent 6 hours trying to get it fixed without anyone's help. I finally had no choice but to go to campus tech support, explain the situation to them, and ask them to run the privileged commands I needed.

Fuck my fucking life.
>>
>>61147737
I'll probably go with the HGST since I can get faster speed for the same price. Thank you.
>>
>>61147814
The bigger a HDD is the less reliable it is because the number of moving parts increases.

WD REDs are made mainly for storage, not use.
>>
>>61147811
Because then malware could do it. It was a major issue with floppies having virus code dropped in the MBR back in the day.
>>
Do I need to go to college for a career in information security? Whats the recommended path for that?
>>
>>61147828
Oh, I see. I didn't know all of that. The prices make sense now. Thank you.
>>
>>61147811
To prevent user/privileges escalation.
Why have user privileges if you will be able to bypass them anyway?
>>
>>61147608
I've been a sysadmin for 12 years. Start here:
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>
>>61147843
Shit well I guess that makes sense. Thanks.
I'm still pissed though.
>>
So I installed a few games recently because of the steam sale. My computer has been able to handle the new games just fine until today, where it bluescreened when I was playing life is strange. And now I can't open chrome without it crashing, and I can't run a virus scan because the computer just crashes halfway through the scan or the program stops working. I'm retarded when it comes to computers, so I don't browse /g/, but I saw this thread and figured someone might be able to send me down the right path to figuring out what's going on. Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask
>>
>>61147885
Run it in safe mode.
>>
>>61147878
I'm not sure I grok this.
The other explanation makes sense (malware) but how does allowing unprivileged users to write boot code to removable drives open any privilege escalation loophole that didn't already exist by virtue of the fact that you can just write boot code to a removable drive on your own computer, take the removable drive to the target computer, and boot from it?
>>
>>61147726
I've never had a WD fail on me except the one I dropped. They aren't fast, but they are reliable. I have one of the old 4TB WD Elements drives for media. It only moves data at like 120mbs over usb3, but it's fine for movies and music and such. Like 3 years old and refurbished but it there are no errors according to SMART. I've had like a dozen WD drives over the past 15 years, It's always annoying to recycle a perfectly working drive that's just too small. Still have a few in storage.
>>
How do I make Firefox faster? Also how do I ensure proper security?
>>
>>61147911
I can't control my keyboard when it brings up that menu of options.
>>
>>61148007
The fuck did you do.

Are you using Windows 7 or 8.1/10?
>>
>>61147879
>http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Thanks I appreciate it. I just don't want to be a complete dumbass frosh, you know?
>>
>>61148000
If you're using 32bit firefox, switch to 64bit. The 32 bit is very inefficient with resources.
>>
>>61146317
Undefined.
>>61148000
Ublock should help you out.
>>
File: ricedgentoo.png (972KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ricedgentoo.png
972KB, 1024x768px
>>61140848
I wanted my debian TWM setup to look like the setup for default CloverOS. Installed TWM on debian and pasted config into the corresponding file in my user directory as instructed. Now, TWM just doesn't work. Doesn't register my mouse now or do anything.

I can link the config if anyone needs it, but I'm lost.
>>
>>61148014
7, I have no idea. The only things I've installed recently have been planet coaster, life is strange, and rocket league. I uninstalled them to see if that would help since the crashing just started today during LiS, but didn't do anything.
>>
>>61148000
>how do I make Firefox faster?

Use a different browser
>>
>>61148065
Press F8 as you boot your PC.
It will let you enter to the safe mode setting.
Use safe mode with network.
>>
>>61147881
Understandable.

If you understand the risks and still want to do it you could probably throw something together with udisks that automatically gives you ownership of the drive's device file. That way you won't need root to write directly to it. Still a potential security risk though.
>>
what is the best or most preffered file manager and picture manager for android as well as any other apps that are a "must"?
>>
When I press the letter 'h', sometimes it doesn't work. If I hold it down, like a second or two later it'll just work and then after that work normally..

What the hell's going on? Sometimes the left alt button's like that too.

Also my cursor has been duplicatiing itself.. like there'll be another one a few inches away that's darkened and warped....

How do I find out what's going on? If it's malware.. what kind? It's annoying.

Just updated Windows 10, I think it was fine beforehand but i'm not even sure anymore

Thinkpad Yoga 710 is what I'm using
>>
>>61148186
Get a replacement from Lenovo or whoever you bought

For example, Best Buy:

Walk in and return if within 15 day return period

If not withing return period use the warranty.
>>
I'm in college getting a B.A. in Information Technology. I haven't chosen a specialty yet. How badly did I fuck up?
>>
I accidentally clicked the onion link on this page while using the unsafe browser in tails:

https://www.reddit.com/r/onions/comments/6j268j/wth_did_i_find/

Can anybody here confirm that I didn't just accidentally just try to connect to a CP site? I closed it fast, and I don't think the page loaded, but I'm still paranoid that there might be some log of me trying to connect to a pedo site.
>>
>>61148247
It seems totally like a software issue though and I wanna confirm that somehow

Like the 'h' key is working fine now.. something seems to make it lag sometimes though
>>
File: 1287812573030.jpg (25KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
1287812573030.jpg
25KB, 500x320px
what is the best/safest way to clean a screen? every """expert""" says every other """expert"""'s way will fucking destroy your screen. some say isopropyl / white vinegar+distilled water, some say never either of those, literally the only thing they agree on is use a microfibre cloth. I'm not even sure where to get good ones that aren't chink garbage that sheds billions of little flakes of """"microfibre""", other than maybe the little ones for cleaning camera lenses / glasses?
>>
hey /g/ why does my android give off a static sound through it's own speaker, my bluetooth ear buds and my bluetooth speaker?

When they are connected to anything else, they are fine, but my phone seems to be giving on some weird feedback that sounds like it's coming from like another wireless interference but I don't think that's possible when that's never happened before.
>>
>>61148336
Yeah get a microfiber or just get something really soft like a cotton cloth. Dampen it and you're fine. I've never had a problem, glass, and plastic. I clean my 3DS, switch, and Wii u and all my computers. It's fine.

>>61148268
Let's say for you did anon, nothing will happen.
1. you're in tails, tails don't let anything out basically
2. even if you did, you would have to collect it. Physically download it to the computer and then they could say that you have it on your HDD, which even say you found CP on the normal web which is possible, why be default as anyone here knows, CACHE data technically download the image you're looking at to it's folder to load it till you clear your cache. that being said, due to it downloading to your PC there's nothing technical they could do to you. People are sent millions of links a week, if they stopped to look at EVERYONE that logged on their server, they would never have time for any real issues. You're just a guy walking in the musuem, you're not the uploader or downloader anon, you're fine.
>>
>>61148488
It is exfiltrating your data over frequencies outside your hearing range. You are hearing some harmonics. You should complain to NSA.
>>
Why is it taking forever to discover the items and delete this? I just want this piece of shit off my HDD
>>
>>61148575
LOL
nah, it sounds like static interference and after I googled this a lot of people see to have it. We've gotten a lot of rain lately and I was thinking maybe the lightning could be interfering, I don't actually know if that's possible.

>>61148610

see the last setence you wrote
>>
>>61146752
It is not easy. Look up ETH Mining or BTC Mining
>>
It's a piece of shit*
I read you wrong anon
>>
>>61148057
>CloverOS
>i3
Why
>>
Which audio setting is better for using headphones on a PS3, Bitstream or Linear PCM?
>>
>>61148645
>i3

it's twm, as said in my attached post, anon.
>>
How do I get into computer science? Ive just started learning python a few months ago and I think it would be a good idea to get into computer science aswell. I just don't know where to start
>>
>>61148544
Thanks for the response anon. I was basically just worried because I was using the unsafe browser instead of the TOR browser, so my real IP would be visible. I didn't see anything, I just don't want to touch CP with a 50ft pole.
>>
>>61148153
I can see the blue light on my computer from it being turned on, but the monitor shows no sign of life. Welp, I'm fucked.
>>
>>61148847
like I said anon, you're fine. The NSA likely doesn't give a fuck about ya dude.
>>
I've just tried to build a PC. There is power, CPU fan on, GPU fan occasionally doing one spin, LED for power button, mobo LEDs working, keyboard lights working (caps lock etc.) but I have no display. My monitor seems to detect the HDMI port is plugged in, as when it's not plugged in it says 'no connection', whereas now it says 'no signal'.

What are the likely causes of this?
>>
File: afsdf.png (10KB, 504x219px) Image search: [Google]
afsdf.png
10KB, 504x219px
>>61148610
forgot the image
>>
>>61148873
Good to know. Thanks again anon!
>>
File: 1349462273528.jpg (190KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1349462273528.jpg
190KB, 442x650px
My top PCIe x16 slot appears to have died. Can I use my second PCIe x16 slot for my GPU without a performance hit? My board is Asrock AB350 B350 Pro4. Manual says it's an x16 slot, but in brackets it says "(PCIE4: x4 mode)" What does this mean?
>>
>>61148942
also the uninstaller doesn't work
>>
File: Capture.jpg (172KB, 1269x615px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
172KB, 1269x615px
Anyone done this shit? Reminds me an awful lot of facebook.
>>
How do I make windows 10 creators update stop making notifications take screen priority.

>playing full screen game
>notification nvidia new driver available
>it goes to the desktop
>>
File: IMG_0410.jpg (52KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0410.jpg
52KB, 612x408px
Does anyone know how I can find the MAC address for my external DVD writer?
>>
>>61148720
You mean like algorithms and shit? Read a book or do project euler.
>>
>>61149074
>>
File: 1482805743479.jpg (63KB, 544x685px) Image search: [Google]
1482805743479.jpg
63KB, 544x685px
Just how bad of an idea would it be to use TOR on a W10 laptop?

I'd be buying totally legal non cloned credit cards with bitcoins. Not in the USA, I'm from a 3rd world latinamerican shithole.
>>
>>61148953
That means it's really a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot, compared to the theoretically 8x faster 3.0 x16 the top slot gets. Real world performance difference isn't that terrible though, loses about 10% if you're using a 1080, typically less if on a slower card https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/24.html
>>
>>61149074
It's not an ethernet device, it doesn't have one.
>>
>>61148884
Could be pretty much anything. Post pics.
>>
>>61140848
What are some useful things I should learn that will immediately make me more efficient with linux?

Ex: Just learned about youtube.dl, which is vastly superior to those ad-ridden rippers.
>>
>>61148851
Can you even enter to your BIOS?
>>
>>61149152
I need to identify which (out of 3) is mine, due to a mix up. Is there no way to identify?
>>
So if I'm just using a laptop as a sort of entertainment thing (shitty games, movies music) hooked up to my tv and don't need to physically input anything, is it better to just store it upside down and closed? That way the air seems like it can escape better if the fan starts going.

Or will this somehow fuck something up?
>>
>>61149185
Doesn't the device manager show up several properties, including the SN and other identifiers?
>>
>>61149143
Thanks for the reply. The manual says it's PCIe 3.0, I was just wondering if the lanes were stripped down even though it's an x16 interface.

How much of a performance hit would my 1070 take? I'm guessing not a lot if the 1080 is only 10%.
>>
>>61141408
I have an ASUS and Lenovo. ASUS can make motherboards, but not laptops.
>>
What virtual machine and operating system has the best performance on Windows host ? I currently use Ubuntu on virtual box but it has a lot of issues. Just browsing the web get a lot of weird failures to load and graphical errors and basic video playback is broken depending on the format. I just use it as my sandbox for browsing porn and messing with sketchy sites and apps and such.
>>
>>61149379
>messing with sketchy sites and apps and such
You better not be doing anything illegal citizen.
>>
>>61149141
>buying totally legal non cloned credit cards with bitcoins
Your bank accepts btc?
>>
>>61142022
Never use boosters. Try HomePlug or use a router in client mode close to the house and long CAT5e.
>>
File: Untitled.png (550KB, 2492x1430px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
550KB, 2492x1430px
>>61140848
I'm at wit's end. I'm overclocking my 1700. In the BIOS it's set to 3.85 GHz, but cpuz and hiwinfo report ~1545 MHz even when stess testing with prime95. Pic related. Just last night when I was only pushing it to 3.7 GHz it was reporting that just fine.
tl;dr how do I keep my CPU from jewing me?
>>
>>61149572
Throttling
>>
what the fuck brothers. i trying to downlaod void linux but it going at 70 kilobyte. are void linux server really so shit?
>>
>>61149586
Why would it throttle? It wasn't getting particularly hot. Any settings I could change? Thanks.
>>
>>61149597
Learn what a cpu scheduler is
>>
>>61142255
if the router is garbage, set a static IP for the router that isn't the same your main router uses, e.g. 192.168.1.2, set the router's gateway to the main router's IP, e.g. 192.168.1.1, and disable DHCP on the second router.
>>
>>61149614
That seems a little bit in depth for my base knowledge, and I didn't come across it anywhere else in my research. Do you have any concrete changes I can make?
>>
>>61142561
foobar2k can keep tag data, so use that.
>>
I'm trying to bullshit my way around getting an outdated piece of overpriced hardware to replace our busted to hell handheld scanner/PDA at work, while barely even half an idea of what I'm doing.

I'm attempting to run a Windows CE vm on my Android phone and need it to connect to our server at work via wifi, to run a program called Jargonsoft Reader and load an .ini off of said server.

And then I'm hoping to, if possible, feed my phone's camera into the vm with some kind of app that can read barcodes into the Reader app, or get an adroid app that can read barcodes and feed that into the vm.

How in over my head am I?
>>
>>61144399
it will work without being connected to the dsl. I normally reset and read the manual. try nmap.
>>
>>61149270
Well that's a weird arrangement, can't use the M.2 slot if you use the second x16. Anyway, yeah, that should be alright, I'd expect performance drop to be something like 5%
>>
>>61149572
Run the CPU-Z Stress benchmark.
Your CPU wont run at 3.85GHz all the time.
>>
>>61142461
Yes
>>
>>61145943
you do realize that's an athlon x3 with a core unlocked, right?
>>
>>61149682
This far: |<------->|
So your whole plan is to replace the handset with a phone app? Can't you just get a new scanner from the supplier? If you put a realistic price on the amount of time you are planning on muddling through it I'm pretty sure that would be cheaper.

Otherwise the standard barcode scanner app on android is open source IIRC and there are probably examples of how to write something that uses it or just register you app for that type of barcode if applicable. Getting some random winCE program to play along sounds like a shit time though.
>>
>>61149658
You would want to do that whether or not the secondary is garbage, unless you've got a hardon for isolated networks. Also you want to be sure and exclude the second router's IP from the DHCP range of the first one.
>>
File: 1498706538648.jpg (51KB, 599x642px) Image search: [Google]
1498706538648.jpg
51KB, 599x642px
I've made a few of the last couple of new /sqt/ threads. But I have to go to bed. Could whoever makes the next thread please remember to use a Yuru Yuri image?

thanks
>>
>>61146115
VLC can open a desktop as an input device.
>>
>>61149746
Just did, same result. Would /pcb/ be a better place to ask?
>>
>>61149870
This would be actually, but try asking in /pcbg/.

Man we need a overclocking general badly.
>>
>>61149842
God no. This is not some anime thread. Not that I'm a huge fan of dwite, but at least that fits with the thread identity.
>>
>>61149879
And posting an 90s american cartoon is any different?
>>
>>61149899
Murrica! Fuck Yeah!
>>
>>61149797
The model of scanner we use seem to range around $1000, there is no chance in hell that our owner is going to approve buying new ones, and this is supported by the fact that all of our scanners across all of our stores are in similar condition, quite literally being held together with tape and superglue.

I'm sure there's a whole host of scanner programs out there, but I'm not familiar enough with either them or our own files to know where to even begin on getting something else to play nicely with our backoffice programs.
>>
>>61149873
It's just so weird. I had CPU-z reporting my 3.7GHz OC just fine yesterday. The only two things I changed today were the clock speed and I flashed to the most recent version of the BIOS
>>
>>61149899
If your genre needs a containment board, yeah, it's different.
>>
File: 1498357671450.png (97KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1498357671450.png
97KB, 250x250px
Reposting here:
>Buy rebuilt Realtek and set everything up
>"Valid IP configuration error"
Help, please.
>>
>>61149932
>/a/ is a containment board
>Launched on October 1, 2003, the site was modeled on Japanese imageboards, particularly 2chan. 4chan's first boards were originally primarily used for posting pictures and discussing manga and anime.
I can see you're new here, welcome to 4chan. Now get out.
>>
>>61149920
But it works correctly with a lower clock?
>>
>>61149980
Prebuilt*
>>
>>61149981
Coca cola was originally made with cocaine. Times change. You can't expect the single biggest group of people ever to come together in human history to keep going on about anime in every discussion.
>>
>>61149990
Just put it back down to 3.7. It's not reporting that right anymore either. I'm gonna call it a night, but would it be worth trying resetting my CMOS tomorrow and giving that a go?
>>
>>61150080
Yes.

Also a future recommendation, if your CPU works, never update BIOS unless there is a hardware incompatibility.

For something you get multiple warnings before doing it.
>>
>>61150091
Lesson learned. Thank you for putting up with this.
>>
I have been using Ubuntu for a while; What is the next logical step in my Linux journey.
>>
Connected a TV as a second monitor. There's a lot of lag and stuttering. Any way I can stop this?
>>
For online gaming and downloads, computer and ps4, what internet speeds are really needed? I dont want xfinity to have more money than needed..
>>
I accidentally the Microsoft partition on an secondary HDD. The data partition is still fine, and Windows can still read it. Linux complains at boot but it eventually reads it. Is there any way I can restore it though? Preferably without transferring all the data, formatting, then transferring back.
>>
>>61150252
I use a lg 'smart' tv and i set it to 'game mode' to stop that. U'd prolly have other appropriate options tho
>>
>>61149729
I don't have an M.2 drive. Wanted to grab one, but now i'm torn between living with this arrangement or RMA'ing the board.
>>
File: 1376184246986.png (302KB, 363x321px) Image search: [Google]
1376184246986.png
302KB, 363x321px
So my hard drive with all my memes and documents it's dying after 7 years. Even with 349 free GBs from old movies and shows I deleted my entire system is slowed down to a crawl, it takes about 15 minutes to open the file explorer, is there a way to save something on it?

Sometimes after restarting it just pops up a tiny message that says repairing Disc (C:) and just gets stuck in there for even hours unless I forcefully shut it down, note it's on windows 10.

Windows backup didn't do jack shit either.
>>
>>61150364
You can't read from it reliably? If you can be bothered booting to a linux live disk there is a program called ddrescue that will copy all the bits of and skip over bad blocks, instead of just bailing.

I heard back in the day that putting a HDD in the freezer overnight (in a ziplock back to prevent moisture) helps with reading from it.
>>
I got this new 3440x1440 ultra wide monitor but how do i play games in 16:9 w/ black bars, specifically Nier Automata? Playing at 2560x1080 just stretches the shit out and it looks awful. I am using the FAR patch so i dunno if that has something to do with it but i've seen it do the same in other games.
>>
File: 1494223811700.jpg (200KB, 764x512px) Image search: [Google]
1494223811700.jpg
200KB, 764x512px
>>61150234

Please Answer; I am looking for stability and security from my system; I recently realized that Ubuntu is not the safest distro out there so I am looking to switch; I am looking at Mint because I still need a decent GUI. Suggest any other distro and I will look at it.
>>
With older games, is there less of a benefit when storing them on an HDD over an SSD?
>>
I wanna make a video out cross fading images, Shortcut will be enough?

>>61150430
Depends on the game.
The point of a SSD is loading stuff fast.
>>
>>61150399
Yes I can't read from it reliably at all, for like 10 seconds is normal and the next 30-45 minutes it just slows down almost to a halt.
Thanks for the info anon really helps, might give the freezer bit a try if everything else fails.
>>
File: 1356054479247.jpg (55KB, 740x400px) Image search: [Google]
1356054479247.jpg
55KB, 740x400px
>>61150091
I could kiss you, but that's forbidden love. Resetting the CMOS solved it and it's now reporting accurately for 3.7 GHz (so I'm back to where I was last night, but now I know what I'm doing). Thanks anon-kun.
>>
>>61150523
No problem, as long everything works fine in your end.
>>
>>61150466
>Depends on the game.
>The point of a SSD is loading stuff fast.
I play a lot of older rpg's that don't load all the time. What about fps and mmo's?
>>
>>61150266
Probably not.
>>
>>61150546
Mostly just loading screens. Occasionally if your playing some crazy ass world that loads huge ass textures, the far away ones will load a little faster.
>>
>>61150414
Whoops meant 1920x1440 not 2560x1080.
>>
>>61150546
Again, depends on the game.
There is >1% perfomance difference outside faster loading.

Would you believe me that i bought a SSD only for maplestory?
>>
seig heil song
>>
I'm planning to buy a laptop and install arch linux. What do I need to look out for when buying one to ensure that wifi will work out of the box/without needing to access the Internet? Please and thank you anons
>>
>>61150986
Everything will work out the box.
This is Linux mate.
>>
century link wants $65 for 10mbs so im just using a hotspot from verizon. theyre the only people in my area, is there any other solution(s) or am i fucked? i can afford it but my old place i was getting 25 for the same price. verizon wlrks but i burned through 10gigs and got bumped down to the 3g network. id like faster internet without getting scammee
>>
In the context of Android.

Do manufacturers get to choose for which devices they will release kernel source or not? Like mediatek devices are always neglected.

Is kernel source android version specific? Like if a kitkat kernel source is released will it not help in custom rom development for Android L/M/N?
>>
>>61151262
>Do manufacturers get to choose for which devices they will release kernel source or not? Like mediatek devices are always neglected.
The linux kernel is under GLPv2 so they have to publish any modifications they make to the source. But only a few people whe don't comply are litigated against so some companies don't bother to comply.

>Is kernel source android version specific? Like if a kitkat kernel source is released will it not help in custom rom development for Android L/M/N?
Yeah. The android kernel is based on the Linux kernel and moves with it, although a bit behind, and has a bunch of other changes on top. If any device requires specific changes, which isn't uncommon, it makes porting changes back/forwards more troublesome. I theory any change can be ported bac or forth bit it might require some elbow grease to adapt for any differences.
>>
File: 1494111166734.jpg (39KB, 362x436px) Image search: [Google]
1494111166734.jpg
39KB, 362x436px
Is it possible to build an anti-virus server that scans my systems in real-time without affecting their performance?
>>
>>61151310
I have a HTC mediatek device.
Its as if mediatek devices don't even exist according to HTC. No mention,resources on htcdev.com about mediatek devices.
Meanwhile the Snapdragon devices are fully pampered with all kernel souces.

Nobody cares for the rules, they only care about any big outrage.
>>
It appears I have screen burn in on my LG v20 but it only appears under a certain shade of grey.
For example when browsing clover with the tomorrow theme I can see it then. I changed to black it disappears
I remember I has this once a while back and it went away when I restarted my phone but I've restarted twice now with no difference. Wat do?
>>
>>61151369
It is a tough problem. NSA-sempai has cracked it though.
>>
>>61146122
It will probably play those games, but you won't get a good fps and your settings will need to be low.

Do as the other anons said and get a 1050ti. 4gb if you can. I just replaced my old GTX 760 with one, and the difference is huge. With the current steam sale, I bought a few games that I would have never bought before just because I didn't think they would play well. I'm very happy with mine
>>
whats the goto format for storing/archiving images while still keeping quality, small loss in quality is acceptable
ive got some few thousand jpg's id want to size down en masse
>>
Trying to get Pokémon GO on my Samsung Galaxy S3, running Android 4.4.2.

It crashes on the Niantic logo screen.
>>
New Thread
>>61152081
>>61152081
>>61152081
>>61152081
>>
My PC is connected to my monitor with a Displayport to Mini-Displayport cable. If I change the cable to a normal DP to DP cable, would it increase the quality somehow?
>>
>>61148186
>When I press the letter 'h', sometimes it doesn't work. If I hold it down, like a second or two later it'll just work and then after that work normally..

Still waiting on an answer.
>>
I wanna find cartoons and just weird stuff like Bill Nye on Google Drive. Typing "site:docs.google.com" or "site:drive.google.com" into Google search only does so much. Is there a better way?
>>
Recommend me a self-contained program for verifying MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-256 checksums
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.