[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Linux Mint next version confirmed to ship with SystemD on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 10

File: 1434931305990.png (161KB, 350x227px) Image search: [Google]
1434931305990.png
161KB, 350x227px
>Linux Mint next version confirmed to ship with SystemD on release

Well, it was nice having a free, working operating system with an actual future for a while. But I guess all good things must come to an end.
>>
Why do people hate systemd?
>>
>>52327521
No idea. My OS uses it extensively, and I find no problems...

Please explain haters?
>>
>>52327521
>>52327544
Because it goes against the unix philosophy of "do ONE thing and do that one thing well". But at the same time those people use emacs
>>
File: 1441320924147.jpg (32KB, 447x456px) Image search: [Google]
1441320924147.jpg
32KB, 447x456px
>>52327521
Before the event, before He Who Shall Not Be Named, the Linux community lived in unruly harmony with the other unicies. And while SysV was the defacto standard, everyone who had two brain cells immediately swapped that shit out for something more daemontools-like. And the SysAdmins would play, play because they worried not; for their supervisor programs were doing their handiwork and the systems ran smoothly. Truly, the land was happy, far and wide.

Then the Dark One appeared, and first claimed, “I will take the Blight of Jobs, known as mDNS, and make it run on Linux.” And he cast a great pox upon the community, but most did not notice, because most of us weren’t gay cocksuckers. And this irked him, so he cast another blight, “I will fix your audio”. And using the pox, he built upon it and filled many a distribution with his sludge. And the users did gnash their teeth for a few years as the pox-sludge was incomplete and annoying. And before the users could turn on him, he snuck out like a thief in the night, claiming that it was not his handiwork.

Now the dark one was really pissed, for the pox-sludge did not do its purpose. So he found employ in that vile place, the House of Red Fedoras, a place filled with gnomes that only cared for bilking money from unsuspecting business people. And he did come upon a plan, so devious in nature and grand in scope, that the gnomes of Red Fedoras did endorse it, seeing that it would lead to many lucrative and unnecessary service contracts. And he brought forth his third and final curse, systemd, which was meant to “replace icky SysV” but in reality, it was forged from a shard of the Dark One’s corrupt soul, and its code would bind all others in darkness as they succumbed to its temptations. And one after another, projects agreed to bend their knee before it, and darkness descended upon the land.
>>
>>52327588
the "unix philosophy" is a fucking meme. it's an alternative operating system, not a fucking manifesto
>>
>>52327521
Either people don't like some features and have legitimate complaints, zealots who just prefer old shit or (the majority on /g/), meme folk.
>>
File: 1437711945459.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1437711945459.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>52327521
tl;dr: if you use systemD you might as well go back to Windows because you're losing all the benefits of using a Linux system.
>>
>>52327521
I dont really know what SystemD is but i hate it because a lot of guys here on /g/ hate it, so it must be something bad
>>
>>52327638
10/10
Would publish
>>
>>52327521
Bandwagoners mostly.

Usually it's people who like to pretend they're one of those great unix greybeards and hate on it because of arbitrary muh unix way.
>>
Which sucks, they were against SystemD but it seems they would have to admit defeat if they want to continue using Ubuntu or Debian as a base for future releases.
>>
>>52327521
IT's a monolithic mess? I don't know. Torvalds doesn't mind it.
>>
File: hboSdvul.jpg (49KB, 480x365px) Image search: [Google]
hboSdvul.jpg
49KB, 480x365px
>>52327638
But, unbeknownst to the Dark One, a noble warrior--though small in stature yet armed with great courage and a bitter sword--stepped forth to oppose all the evil that had been wrought upon the land.

Though the trials were many, and the ordeals great, the Noble Warrior and his band did finally overcome all the evil blight which had come upon the land and it's inhabitants, and did throw down the great tower of the Dark One in it's fiery ruin.

Thus did a new age of enlightenment and peace dawn upon all the lands until the great evils that had been wrought became mere old wives tales taught to incredulous striplings.
>>
>>52327850
Torvalds says anything lennart makes is shit, and for good reason.
>>
>>52327699
>I dont really know what SystemD is but i hate it because a lot of guys here on /g/ hate it, so it must be something bad

This is what 99% of the systemd haters do. it is difficult to point out a proper flaw except the main "against the unix philosophy" argument because it MIGHT potentially be more unsafe than if they just did one thing. But only potentially, nobody have found any real security flaw and that CAN happen with systems only designed to do one thing as well.
>>
>>52327521
Because it's a meme. They don't have actual arguments against it they just spam copypasta from some blog
>>
>>52327588
Linux Is Not UniX
>>
File: us-quarter.gif (89KB, 402x401px) Image search: [Google]
us-quarter.gif
89KB, 402x401px
>>52327940
>>52327946
>you're pay gud friend
>>
>>52327850
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/tso-and-linus-and-the-impotent-rage-against-systemd/
>>
File: 1379199467526.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1379199467526.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>52327940
Actual systemD flaws have been discussed to death years ago, anon. Nobody serious uses systemD, yet some group keeps making these shill threads and pretending that using it is the most normal thing in the world. Nobody will discuss this with you because all the arguments are one Google search away and there's nothing more to debate.
>>
>>52327983
wait what? That article seems to be implying that Linux is basically developed by the US military

Is this some kind of tinfoilhat blog, or are there any truths to this claim?
>>
>>52327521
Monolith vs. Modular philosophy, this debate also exists in hardware as well.
>>
>>52328043
>nobody serious
>redhat + all of enterprise

ok kid
>>
>>52328057
yes, maybe
>>
>use a monolithic kernel in your os
>get butthurt when a monolithic init/service system is added

Wot
>>
>>52328075
Not to mention the entire Debian ecosystem now basically, 'serious' or not.
>>
>>52328043
>nobody uses systemD
>Almost every big distro is using it now
>>
>>52328043
Ubuntu the most popular and widely used distro uses SystemD. Ubuntu is the face of Linux, so....
>>
>>52327970
no, GNU is "Not Unix"
>>
>>52326976
what did you expect, canonical abandoned upstart (from what i remember) ,and ubuntu 16.04 will use systemd too ,and mate is based on ubuntu LTS with a change of DE/tools
>>
>>52328109
They are both not UNIX.
>>
File: Your-desktop-is-so-cute.png (149KB, 608x428px) Image search: [Google]
Your-desktop-is-so-cute.png
149KB, 608x428px
>>52328043
> Actual systemD flaws have been discussed to death years ago, anon.

And in all those years nobody have come up with any real problems except potential problems by breaking the unix philosophy.

>Nobody serious uses systemD, yet some group keeps making these shill threads and pretending that using it is the most normal thing in the world.

Nearly everyone who use linux (Arch, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Mageia, OpenSUSE, Red hat +++) uses systemd. Nobody seriously uses anything else... The only real distros that does not come with systemd as default is gentoo, slackware and void linux. (which only a tiny minority uses and even if they do they might still get systemd)

>Nobody will discuss this with you because all the arguments are one Google search away and there's nothing more to debate.

And all arguments hinges on "philosophical disagreements" and why having a integrated system that does lots of things is worse than having a different thing for every thing.
>>
>>52327521

Because systemd is a malware.
>>
>>52327521
Redhat a shit
>print so much information the system crashes when debugging linux
>refuse to fix it because "no single developer get dibs on generic commands"
>>
Tbh I've been underwhelmed with Mint for a while, but this changes my desire to stick with it.
>>
File: 34832948932.jpg (27KB, 948x711px) Image search: [Google]
34832948932.jpg
27KB, 948x711px
I think systemd hating is just a way for people to distract themselves from the fact that most software on linux is a pile of bullshit.
>>
>>52326976
what do you expect from a distro thats just stealing from debian or ubuntu(which is just stolen from debian testing) .. do you really expect those joke distros to actually do any development other than some minor patching and ricing ?
>>
>>52327940
is ugly, and anoying to work with.
sys-v init ways way nicer to config, just plain shell scripts.
and since i switched to systemd i have a hard time dealing with shitty services that wont listen to systmectl stop, kill, restart, reload, etc
the shit just isn't working
>>
>>52327685
What are these benefits you are loosing, and how are you loosing them
>>
What are the actual caveats of using Slackware once you set everything up?
>>
>>52327685
you have no idea what you are talking about, right?
fuck, i hate systemd, but you comment is just retarded
>>
>>52328043
>Nobody serious uses systemD
my sides
Go back to Devuan, faggot
>>
Install Ubuntu 14.04
>>
Why use linux?
>>
>>52328778
Tru dat
>>
>>52328499
Just make something better and people will change to it.
>>
hello
>>
bhjbhjhbj
>>
>>52328120
"Unix" "is" not Unix
>>
>>52328444
You can say the same of most software

Also nice trips
>>
>>52328444
Meh. If that's bullshit, then we could do with a lot more BS around here friend.
>>
File: he s right you know.jpg (33KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
he s right you know.jpg
33KB, 500x373px
>>52328444
It's probably why they spend so much time whining about things. The trips of truth.
>>
File: 1301243858357.jpg (78KB, 797x602px) Image search: [Google]
1301243858357.jpg
78KB, 797x602px
>>52329687
if I get dubs Linux is better than any OS that exists currently

check 'em
>>
As soon as more higher level software depends on it, it'll become the next xorg.
>>
It's over. The cancer has spread to the majority of distros. Instead of having a simple modular init system were stuck with a tumor that continues to mysteriously swallow core OS functionality.

/gee/, I wonder why spaghetti code from a US corporation continues to swallow vital components of a free OS... What could that possibly mean?
>>
>>52334019
forgot to mention the even more cancerous dev communities that support systemd because of the "new is automatically better" meme
>>
>>52326976
Honestly, I've been using systemd for a year now, and I barely even noticed it was there. All it did for me was give me a slightly easier command to enable and disable services.
Sure I dislike pottering, but what's all the autism about? It's functionally the same thing, and even better in some ways.
>>
>>52334094
you sound like you just jumped off the Windows bandwagon
>>
>>52326976
Never heard of "SystemD"
>hates a piece of software
>doesn't even know enough about it to know how it's spelled
>>
>>52334267
I've been using Arch and Debian as my main OSs for about 6 years now
>>
Hey sorry to ask but if I wanted to try Mint in a virtual box which is the one to get? One comes with Cinamon and the other comes with MATE. Anyone wanna explain the benefits/disadvantages of each ?
>>
>>52334296
>It's functionally the same thing, and even better in some ways
Yeah, at the surface level commands you run on your riced out terminal, I'm sure. Why should you care about anything else? You're obviously a retard ricer that runs Linux for the special snowflake feel, exactly the userbase that is destroying the community. If you don't care how parts of the system are written and can't see why systemd is destructive to the whole GNU/Linux userland you're the worst form of cancer. This could have been prevented if there were less retards adopting things blindly without even bothering to understand them at the core.
Systemd is a nightmare, insecure, high velocity corporate spaghetti code that continues to absorb more and more in an operating system that was once free and made of modular parts.
>>
>>52326976
Will it also be present in lmde or only in the main release?
>>
>>52334506
Fucking Linus uses it. Get over yourself
>>
>>52326976
somebody post lennart potterings myths about systemD
>>
>>52335222
you expect him to say anything against RH?
>>
>>52334463
Basically the same thing, cinnamon is prettier and MATE uses less RAM
>>
>>52335396
He says whatever fuck he wants against anyone. He is finnish,
>>
>>52328558
>loosing
stop
>>
>>52335396
Yes. He's done so many times. He's even BTFO pottering on many occasions.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.