[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming Job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Hi /g/, I want to get into programming as a career, I have a few questions:

>What do you enjoy most about programming?
>Are there any other fields of Computer Science you wish you had gotten into instead of programming?
>Do you need to go to college to get a job as a programmer or can you enter the field being self-taught?
>If you can enter by being self-taught, at about which point in your learning will you know you're ready to start freelancing or applying to jobs?
>For someone who has absolutely no experience with programming, about how long will it take from beginning to learn for you to get a job?
>>
>>51614301

Sad bump :'(
>>
Not hard I started in highschool and went from pre AP junior year then went to AP for my senior and it given kinda of an advantage in college.
>>
>>51614021
What is she drinking?
>>
>>51614657

Hot cocoa
>>
>>51614021
just build a clock
>>
>>51614838

Dude thanks Ahmed LMAO

FIFTEEN
>>
don't do programming as a career, you will regret it especially being self taught. Freelancing is also a really bad way to make money
>>
>>51614021
i started programming when i was 15, didnt land a job till i was 19.

dat startup lyf since

you know you can start looking for job when you only google a problem once in your day.
>>
>>51614021
No time to give a long answer.

But i think you can start freelancing applying very soon. I had basic java knowledge and scored a job to manage and expand an android application. Was in the first year of my college as CS. 2nd year i got kicked out and since then I've been just working on different shit (mainly sites) as freelance. Got a 20 hour contract now for the android app job, a separate IOS and android project with a few others in full gear, and another website which I will sell and said buyer will also rent serverspace from me.

So IMO its still a field where a college degree isn't necesarry, or I just got lucky. Still you will have to keep learning in the field, you just decide what to learn or discard.
>>
>>51614968
Any reasons/evidence?
>>
>>51614021
solving problems and seeing my shitty code actually work
>Are there any other fields of Computer Science you wish you had gotten into instead of programming?
not really, although I like physics
>Do you need to go to college to get a job as a programmer or can you enter the field being self-taught?
You don't need one and there's a ton of self-taught devs, but YMMV. Having a degree definitely makes it easier to get your first job, and studying is a good time to do networking. After that, more often than not experience is way more important than education.
>If you can enter by being self-taught, at about which point in your learning will you know you're ready to start freelancing or applying to jobs?
Applying for jobs? When you have a non-trivial project that you brought all the way from the first line of code to release. Frankly though, aside from skills, you're gonna need to be able to make a good impression.
Freelancing is different because, well, you have to look for offers and customers yourself, have to negociate, and all that fuss. For some this works wonders (the whole "I am my own boss" thing), for me having to actively look out for customers and doing business talks would be an insuferrable pain in the ass.
>For someone who has absolutely no experience with programming, about how long will it take from beginning to learn for you to get a job?
in my case, 10 years
although that's largely because I started at 12, lol
Seriously though, if you learn quick and know how to market yourself, I say you should be ready for a junior position after a year, maybe even half of that.
>>
File: turingMachine.gif (13KB, 400x274px) Image search: [Google]
turingMachine.gif
13KB, 400x274px
>>51614021
as a job: lots of money for little work (if you choose the job in a smart way)
as a hobby: the possibilities are endless
Machine Learning
I don't have a degree, and looks like its not necessary anyway
When you have a couple of projects of github and you can look at piece of software and see how you can implement it yourself
Also you should work on typical interview problems, find the online
six months if you choose HTML5/CSS3/JS (I advise you to choose this specialization, it is easy and pays well).

Also read news.ycombinator.com
>>
>>51615168
>HTML5/CSS3/JS
I'm tempted to choose this in order to land my first regular job, but god how I hate styling pages and all that UI stuff...
Do you have any advice or project ideas on how to make it more interesting? I've made a couple of JS/JQuery versions various board/card games (including drawing graphics) while trying to avoid actual webpage design.
>>
File: struts032.webm (2MB, 752x832px) Image search: [Google]
struts032.webm
2MB, 752x832px
>>51615279
>Do you have any advice or project ideas on how to make it more interesting?

Javascript is a very versatile high performance language, you can build games and whatever you want with it.

I have built a small neural network library and a physical simulator (picrelated) in HTML5/JS, for example.

Choose JS and you will have your job and money, look for yourself in statistics http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2015

>I've made a couple of JS/JQuery versions various board/card games (including drawing graphics) while trying to avoid actual webpage design.
Put them to github

Also don't be scared of design, 95% of design is just ripping off and remixing widgets from builtwithbootstrap.com, also there is usually a dedicated designer on the job. It's too easy to learn to deny yourself the salary it provides for you.
>>
>>51615975
>small neural network library and a physical simulator (picrelated)
That's awesome! Now you've actually interested me more in Javascript. I usually think about it in terms of unnecessary and flashy effects on web pages and I forget you can do all kinds of stuff in it.

>Put them to github
I did. I know Javascript basics, so I did it to learn jQuery and how to use git at the same time. They're nothing special, but at least a potential employer will see I'm doing something in my spare time.
>>
>>51614021
Cool pic OP, but please kill yourself.
>>
>>51614657

liquefied shit
>>
>>51615168
>>51615118
Great answers
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.