[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Went for a job today. Position was IT Helpdesk Analyst. Description

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 1446657673715.jpg (338KB, 614x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1446657673715.jpg
338KB, 614x1024px
Went for a job today. Position was IT Helpdesk Analyst.
Description said 'No ITC experience required'.
They grilled me for 40 minutes, mostly typical interview questions, but they asked at one point 'what is an OU' and I said I had no idea.
Did I fuck up?
>>
>>51609099
Yes.

If they actually come back and offer you anything after that, your job will be to read off a card.
>>
What the fuck is an OU
>>
>>51609099

They're probably talking about an Organisational Unit in Active Directory.
>>
They asked you about Pokemon?
>>
>>51609183
They are. He even told me it was in reference to Active Directory. I still had no clue.
Does this really affect my chances if the job description said experience wasn't necessary?
>>
>>51609238
Not for the job you are applying for. If you could have answered it well they may have considered you for a second line position
>>
>>51609099
Eh, probably not.

I work at Amazon in Support Engineering and I got the job without knowing plenty of stuff like that.

I hope you didn't literally say "I have no idea" though. In my interview I would say "I'm not sure exactly, could you explain the concept or walk me through the process?" and took notes as the interviewer went through it.

Now, send an email to the interviewer (or if you don't have their email, the recruiter asking them to pass it on the interviewer) thanking them for their time and expertise, and that you are eager to strengthen your knowledge on the concepts discussed in the interview.

Don't like doing shit like that, but sometimes you gotta suck it up and do what you can to stand out and following up is a huge part of standing out.
>>
>>51609320
I did literally say 'I have no idea'. I wish I hadn't, but I was caught off guard and wanted to be honest.
I don't have the guys email, just his phone number, but as he told me they are making a decision in the next two days, I feel like it'll seem a little desperate if I call.
How the fuck do people get started in this industry? Everyone wants minimum 2 years experience. Is it only fresh degree graduates who get hired with no work history?
>>
>>51609238

Honestly, when we're hiring 1st level service desk consultants, we're looking for someone who can talk to people. Who empathises with clients and work as part of a team.

The basic technical stuff can be taught easily, teaching interpersonal skills is much harder.

That said, knowing about common enterprise technologies like Active Directory, TCP/IP networking (routing, switching), MS Exchange/Office etc, will set you apart from other applicants.
>>
>>51609403
Just chill. Don't listen to that nigga from Amazon. Be urself, why would you want to work in a company if you can't even be urself there?
>>
>>51609403
Dude do you even have any experience with Active Directory or domains in general? Go to uni man
>>
>>51609403
>wanted to be honest

You did the right thing by admitting you didn't know (rather than guessing), but showing a desire to learn by asking them to explain it wouldn't be a good thing to do in future interviews.

>I feel like it'll seem a little desperate if I call
The thing is, that may feel like desperation to us as job seekers but the interviewer/recruiter will see it as a positive thing.

>Is it only fresh degree graduates who get hired with no work history?

I was a fresh grad but I had work history (retail, internship in Software Testing, contract work in IT administration). Just shoot for entry-level/grad roles.

Good luck.
>>
>>51609429
>>51609320
Thanks for the help guys, making me feel a lot more confident.
I feel like I sold myself as a communicator pretty well, just not the most experienced in network software.
>>
>>51609521
would* be a good thing to do
>>
Went-through-uni here, can't find any decent job either. Managed to get C dev position but the pay is shit and everything about the company is shit, I guess they were desperate to hire someone with no experience. At least I can shitpost and browse job search sites on my phone there.
>>
>>51609469
Nope. Highest level of study in IT is a Cert 3 that I did years ago. I don't want to study IT again because I'm not interested in a progressing career, I just want to give basic help for a basic payrate, hence the level 1 position.
>>51609521
Thanks again for the tips
>>51609461
Yeah I definitely find it important to be myself in a workplace. Its already a little tricky because the job is connected to a religious organisation.
>>
>>51609599
Well working help desk would usually require at least a cert 4; a cert 3 will only qualify you to work in basic PC repairs.
>>
>>51609612
That's fair. I'd consider studying another certificate, but again I'm not really looking for more than a level 1 position.
>>
>>51609320
>I hope you didn't literally say "I have no idea" though. In my interview I would say "I'm not sure exactly, could you explain the concept or walk me through the process?" and took notes as the interviewer went through it.
Pretty much this. Or at least say that you're willing to learn it as soon as possible if it's relevant to the job. The worst thing you can do is lie about knowing it though.
>>
>>51609835
While I didnt respond to the question in that way, I was asked later on what I would improve for the role, and told them the software/UI side of things.
They certainly know I'm eager to learn.
>>
File: O8AHUt3.jpg (53KB, 640x551px) Image search: [Google]
O8AHUt3.jpg
53KB, 640x551px
I have a help desk interview tomorrow, I know the feels.
>>
>>51610023
Good luck!
>>
>>51610038
Thanks senpai, I lied a little about my previous experience with dealing with people, but I hope I do well.
>>
>>51609099
sysadmin here

seems kinda stupid that they'd say no experience required then ask you a question that would require basic knowledge, sounds like they want someone who's dabbled with AD but has no qualifications (aka they're poor), have you checked to see if this company is even in a good financial position?

either way i'm sure there's a basic intro to AD video on youtube that'll tell you the basics you need to know to get through an interview, have you never used AD before?
>>
Son, what you have to do is walk in there and shake they man's hand firmly. Look him in the eye and tell him all you want is a fair wage for a fair day of work and you'll get that job.
>>
>>51610842
>do not do this
...he's not applying for a manual labour job
>>
>>51609552
>At least I can shitpost and browse job search sites on my phone there.

Every programmer and developer everywhere.
>>
File: 4a7.jpg (24KB, 390x285px) Image search: [Google]
4a7.jpg
24KB, 390x285px
>>51610842
This is how NOT to make it in this field. You're applying for a job infront of a computer, not for one building damn cabinets.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.