[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech for tech-illiterate family and friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Nexus 7 (2012).jpg (179KB, 2000x1286px) Image search: [Google]
Nexus 7 (2012).jpg
179KB, 2000x1286px
So my mom's 2012 Nexus recently stopped charging due to a loose micro USB port. Her previous tablet was a Kindle Fire that stopped charging, for what I'm sure was also a loose charging port.
I don't know whether I should order the part and tools I'd need to try to fix it, tell her to get a new tablet, or get a laptop. She'd prefer to have a tablet, since she likes to listen to audiobooks and standup comedy while playing solitaire or something similar in bed.
>>
File: 1278953908158.png (10KB, 203x222px) Image search: [Google]
1278953908158.png
10KB, 203x222px
>>51606305
your mom's got a problem with loose ports
>>
>>51606427
I can fix that with my hot iron.
>>
>>51606305

Tell her to get an ipad. The hardware is excellent.
>>
>>51607515
I honestly would, but my mom doesn't make much money, and I don't have the cash for it either.
>>
>>51608123

maybe try getting the nexus repaired then. not necessarily by you. get a quote see how much it costs.
>>
>>51606427
noice
>>
>>51606305
Get the 2013 version, its pretty damn cheap right now on Amazon.
>>
File: kektus.jpg (31KB, 428x287px) Image search: [Google]
kektus.jpg
31KB, 428x287px
>>51606427
>>
>>51606305
Introduce her to qi charging.
A $5 qi lad is much cheaper than a $300 tablet.
Australian prices, but you get my point.
>>
>>51608323
I've looked at teardown guides for this model and it looks pretty fucking easy, especially for a mobile device. I'm pretty sure I could handle the repaire, but I'm concerned about the port getting loose again.

>>51608910
It's something I'm considering, but I'm still worried about build quality since this is the second tablet she's had that's had its charging port go to shit.

>>51609388
The 2012 model of the Nexus 7 isn't compatible with Qi charging. It has 4 pogo pins on the side for a charging/audio out dock but uses micro USB for power as well so I'm worried that it could also wind up with a loose port.
>>
Fucking snsv piece of shit gooks cheaped out to save a bit of money.If you want a new tablet that our mum can kind of readjust to, I'd say get an iPad or a nexus 9.
>>
>>51606305
the amazon fire7 is literally going for £35 right now
>>
>>51610375
>charging port go to shit.
Get her a tablet with a pogo charging cable then.
Something like the Sony Z2 on sale?
>>
>>51610755
That's a really appealing price. Do the Amazon devices still have their own app store that's missing apps that are present on the Google Play store because of Amazon policies or whatever? That was a big deciding factor having her move to a normal android device since she wanted to use the TV station streaming apps and they weren't available on the Amazon store.

>>51610932
>Get her a tablet with a pogo charging cable then.
That would seem to be the ideal solution, but I don't really know what brands and models I should be looking at.
>Something like the Sony Z2 on sale?
I'm only finding it for $400 and up, which is more than me or my mom is willing to spend on getting her a new tablet. We're looking at the sub-$200 range.
>>
>>51611213
its a no brainer price, even if she hates it you can have it afterwards and find something else

you can load the google play store onto it but desu its probably fine how it is for your mother

go see some reviews but i'd just buy it now while its cheap, going back up to £50 tomorrow
>>
>>51611592
It's already $50 again, which I'd still be fine with. I managed to find a kit that includes the replacement part and tools for about $12 so I'm going to try that first, but if that doesn't pan out I'll go for the Kindle Fire 7 then.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.