[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm sorry to ask this on /g/, but does the graphic cards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: how-gpu-acceleration-works.png (93KB, 518x292px) Image search: [Google]
how-gpu-acceleration-works.png
93KB, 518x292px
I'm sorry to ask this on /g/, but does the graphic cards series for nivida actually matter? like

gtx750ti > gtx 680m

they both have the same amount of vram, i just don't understand and please be nice
>>
>>51596531
Not sure if trolling.

Anyhow. First if you're comparing a movile laptop gpu to a dedicated desktop one. Secondly ram doesn't matter when comparing 2 completely different cards. A 3gb gtx 580 gets shit on by a 2gb gtx 960. It is all about the card's architecture.

Is the 750ti better than the 680m? Yes. But we're talking apples and oranges here. Again. Desktop gpu > laptop gpus 90% of the time.
>>
>>51596637
ok well what about like a gtx 970 vs a gtx 750ti then
>>
>>51596667
At least compare in the same range. 750ti is a low end card and the 970 is an upper mid range card.

A more fitting comparison would be like a gtx 660ti and the 960, and the 960 rapes because its newer arch and has better drivers support etc.
>>
There's loads of differences that you can't see from those specs sheets their marketing departments use to sell these things to people who THINK they're savvy, but really aren't. This group includes most "hardcore" PC gamers. What you should look at more are benchmarks that test the actual real world performance, not the pure specs. Then there's also drivers limiting older cards from supporting new API's or extensions to them.

The genuinely relevant specs includes stuff like:
>Number of compute units (CUDA or GCN cores)
>What kind of compute units (not all CUDA cores are the same, same goes for GCN cores)
>Memory speed (type, lane width and clock rate all matter)

The amount of memory is somewhat relevant, but you really shouldn't stare at clock rates that much, specially when comparing cross vendors as clock rates are then sort of incomparable when we're talking about two different architectures.

So simply put:
>Look at benchmarks first
>Then the amount of memory in regards to how games are going to develop in the near future
>Ignore most of the guff put out by marketing departments put out and fanboys like to regurgitate
>>
>>51596667
The 970 is at least twice as powerful.
>>
File: 1442194985132.jpg (76KB, 782x784px) Image search: [Google]
1442194985132.jpg
76KB, 782x784px
>>51596753
This. And if you're on the fence about nvidia vs AMD, I've been on both teams. Currently team red. Anyhow. Consider your price range first, then look at the cards in that range that each team offers. Then look at features.

When I had nvidia, I used shadowplay a lot. Almost zero impact on performance and it let me record gameplay perfectly. Nvidia also has stuff like g-sync, PhysX etc.

Amd has free-sync, TressFX, and overall their cards are good for performance on a budget.

Not trying to start a flame war here /g/ents. Just stating that there are some features that I wish my r9 390 had. Shadowplay being one of them. Fraps is just so damned cpu heavy.

Overall OP your best bet is to find 1 card from each team in your price range, go to Google, and type. "Card X vs Card y gaming benchmarks"

Check several websites to see if the results are consistent acorss them as some sites are more biased to one brand over another, then make your decision.
>>
>>51596770
i meant a gtx 960
>>
>>51596862
This is genuine advice...do you know where you are, anon?
>>
>>51596862
thanks bro
>>
>>51596911
Yea i know. Feeling generous. Dont worry. The feeling doesn't last long. Ill be back to shitposting and shikl posting before you know it. Doctor said to lay off it for a while
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.