[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have an emacs thread? I'm an intermediate vim user

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

File: Emacs-icon.sh-600x600.png (82KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Emacs-icon.sh-600x600.png
82KB, 600x600px
Can we have an emacs thread?

I'm an intermediate vim user who wants to get into emacs. Mostly because of better scala support.

What do you use emacs for?

Can you share some tips?

How can a newbie get started? How did you get started?

What are some good extensions?

Which distribution of emacs do you use on Linux and on OS X?
>>
Use evil mode. Emacs is shit for editing text.
>>
>>51595472
I thought evil mode was just sort of a joke extension?
>>
>>51595439
bump - no emacs user around?

really want some opinions from emacs experts here
>>
>>51595439
I assume that emacs/vim are mostly for any kind of programming EXCEPT web development. They are really shit for web dev.
>>
>>51596021
They are shit for everything.
Why do you need a 4 button macro to just edit text.
>>
>>51595848
hey m8, i've used emacs for some time and stopped after i formatted my mac and wiped out my config directory.

>>51595472
>>51595499
i used vim but switching between normal, visual and insert mode got really boring after some time, even with lots of scripting trying to give vim some more usual behaviour.

i used emacs mostly because org mode which is really handy. editing code with it can be cumbersome sometimes and the keyboard shortcuts are downright mental. it is nice however how customizable this shit is, it's insane what you can do with it, and if you're on a mac and skin ith with the xemacs theme it will look classy and please your nostalgia.
>>
>>51596021
why?
>>
>>51595848
wrong board

u might want to try >>>/lgbt/
>>
>>51596055
mixed php + html syntax highlight doesn't work properly.

also web devs are lazy and can't take their time to learn the editor itself
>>
>>51596054
why did you leave emacs? what did you start using instead?
>>
>>51596050
>Why do you need a 4 button macro to just edit text.
and you clearly don't know what the fuck you're talking about
>>
>>51596213
3 buttons to exit and save
You not need to memorize 20+ keymacros just to edit text.You gain no performance,you gain nothing but epeen,hence why it was created in the first place
>>
>>51596193
i left it because i don't want to go through the hassle of setting it up again since i can't remember most of the configuration. i'm using textmate on mac and sublime on windows
>>
>i'm a dumbass that refuses to memorize 10 of the most commonly used shortcuts and that's why emacs sucks!
>>
>>51595439
I'm an Emacs user since 2005. I use it for all my editing. I even have a Firefox extension that opens text fields as an Emacs buffer.

>Can you share some tips?
Start the emacs daemon in your init file to have an always-running instance of Emacs, which makes opening files and new windows instantaneous (use `emacsclient' wherever you'd use `emacs').

>How did you get started?
I started by learning the Readline subset of commands (C-a, C-e, M-b, M-f, C-d) and some commands for killing and yanking (C-k, C-w, M-w, C-y, C-y M-y ...) and undo (C-_). And of course the commands for saving and opening files (C-x C-f, C-x C-s). This is all you'll really need to get by.

After that I started extending my .emacs, which gave me lots of new commands, some of which I use frequently, others which I forgot over the years (turns out I didn't need them after all).

Then I learned about macros (C-x (, C-x ), C-x e e e e e ...), which are pure magic and solve problems where I'd previously had had to resort to regexes and sed. Though lately, they have been superseded by Multiple-cursors mode for some simpler editing tasks.

>What are some good extensions?
Multiple cursors, ido, vertical-ido-mode, smex, magit, Auctex, to name a few.

>Which distribution of emacs do you use on Linux and on OS X?
The whole Emacs vs Xemacs controversy has been over and done with for over a decade. Just use the latest Emacs version (24.5).
>>
>>51596089
>>51596213
>>51596735

I learned emacs. I left it because I dont see why anyone would need so much keybindings as if programmers write programs so fucking fast they need their hands on keyboard all the time. Most of the time its thinking rather than ultra non-stop typing.That is the real world , dont know about you Neos in imaginary world.
>>
>>51596795
>Most of the time its thinking rather than ultra non-stop typing
That's why keyboard shortcuts exist. You want to get your ideas down while they're still fresh in memory and then get back to thinking instead of shifting focus to navigating the window menu trying to find the right commands.
>>
>>51596795
Exactly, if you can spend less time doing tedious shit like editing text, you can spend more time doing the important stuff like thinking.
>>
>>51596880
Dude what the fuck are you talking about? I want to get my ides down while they are fresh? You must be joking that you write your projects like that , on the fly as you imagine them in your head.
I don't know , maybe for smaller programs but for projects? Lol its more like 90% writing and drawing on a fucking paper (both metaphorically and literally) and 10% actually transforming those ideas and algorithms into code.
>>
>>51596942
Why are you doing that sort of thinking in front of a computer screen? You should be done with that before you even open your editor.
>>
If anyone feels pressing control for everything is too much of a stretch, I highly recommend swapping control and alt via something like xmodmap. This is helpful outside of emacs as well, since control is far more used than alt. You can also map caps lock to alt, so you never have to stretch that far.
>>
>>51596735
Friendly reminder that C-/ is an easier alternative to C-_ for undo.
>>
>>51597182
I never understood why anyone would remap Alt. My thumb rests on the space key, so pressing Alt is as easy as moving it half a centimeter to the left.
>>
>>51595439

>What do you use emacs for?
Python3 and Clojure development

>How can a newbie get started? How did you get started?
Official Emacs Tutorial

>What are some good extensions?
elpy, web-mode, nyan-mode, elfeed

>Which distribution of emacs do you use on Linux and on OS X?
Aquamacs on OS X, and standard Emacs on Linux
>>
>>51597238
Yes, alt is in a very convenient location, but in emacs and most other programs I use, control is used far more often. I'd rather have control in that location than alt.
>>
>>51597222
Depends on your keyboard. On Swedish ones it doesn't matter, because it's Ctrl + Shift + another key regardless.
>>
>>51597263
>where to get those extensions , is there an official website ?
>>
>>51597317
M-x package-list-packages

You have to configure your editor to use the MELPA repository to find some of them, though.
>>
>>51597313
Sorry, I'm American and forgot other countries exist again.
>>
>>51597317
>>where to get those extensions , is there an official website ?

Emacs comes with an package manager called package.el, there's a default repo(elpa) but you can add others e.g. melpa or marmalade

https://marmalade-repo.org/
http://melpa.org/
>>
>>51597393
>>51597342
is there extension for sidebar file browser and is it possible to be on the right side? Sublime Text doesnt have option for right side but it has sidebar by default.
>>
emacs is completely a modal editor, vim only has 2 modes, command mode and text entry mode. emacs can only be in one major mode and can have many different minor modes active at one time. These modes completely change how emacs reacts and behaves to key-input. Its not like vim where the keymapping is the same all the time and can only be changed with the .vimrc file or plugins. so when you learn emacs its not enough to learn the keybindings, you have to understand the modes you are in and what the functionality of those modes are. so its impossible to use emacs just by learning the main hotkey bindings like vim, you have to learn how the whole system works which requires a lot of reading. only an experienced programmer is going to take the time to read the docs to learn all this functionality, there is no quick short cut route to learning emacs
>>
>>51597456
why would there be more than 2 modes (insert and command). Fuck ,I was wondering why is there any modes for text editors? Any experienced programmer/typer will do everything in normal mode ultra fast .
>>
>>51597453
Well, you could open dired in a buffer window on the right side.
>>
>>51597456
>vim only has 2 modes, command mode and text entry mode.

What about visual mode? And I think there was at least two different command modes if I remember correctly.
>>
>>51597456
Vim also has visual and replace.

Emacs only has one mode, though. This is what makes it not shit.
>>
>>51597572
I guess you could call visual mode a mode, the other mode I think youre referring to is ex mode which makes it work like a line editor, recall vi is based on the line editor ed
>>
>>51597456
There are different modes for different programming languages. You don't really need to read documentation to use them. All of the standard editing commands have the same semantics, but might be tweaked slightly to do the right thing (e.g. indentation in python vs. C-based languages). The modes add new commands for doing useful things in a specific language, and you can either read the documentation to learn about these or just look at a drop down menu.
>>
>>51597690
>There are different modes for different programming languages
those programming language modes are major modes, most of the special functionality of emacs is in minor modes and wont become active till you enter that minor mode
>>
>>51597453
Neotree
>>
File: cover.png (123KB, 361x458px) Image search: [Google]
cover.png
123KB, 361x458px
I cant believe no one knows about this book, this is the only book that will teach you emacs
>>
>>51599782
mickey pls go
>>
File: emacs.png (450KB, 1918x1078px) Image search: [Google]
emacs.png
450KB, 1918x1078px
avid emacs user here. I have done a crazy amount of customization, but the comfy-ness of having so much power at your finger tips in one environment across operating systems is amazing.

pic related. My emacs with awesome wm. Writing my philosophy essay with LaTeX
>>
>>51600121
>those long org-mode headers
Use - lists instead. They can be folded just like headers, but you can also M-q them.
>>
File: neovim.png (924KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
neovim.png
924KB, 1920x1080px
Personally, I use neovim. It's rather fast, and has an integrated terminal emulator (much like emacs). It all comes down to personal preference. :\
>>
>>51600270
Thanks. I'm just getting into org-mode so I appreciate the pointer.
>>
>>51600352
So neovim is usable already? That's pretty cool. I'm really liking the TUI editor renaissance over the past couple of years.
>>
>>51600466
I've had to fiddle around with my old vim config a bit, but other than that, it's proven to be more efficient (especially with the terminal emulator, really loving that feature!).

When the 000webhost leak happened, I also had the chance to load a huge textfile (over 15 million lines long) containing the users' info with neovim; took a couple of seconds to load, but after that, it was just as fast as with any other file. I was quite impressed.
>>
>>51600121
>My emacs with awesome wm
You can also try stumpwm, the emacs of window managers
>>
>>51595439
Evil & just werks emacs distro

https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs
>>
>>51600352
>>51600466
>>51600532
what are the benefits of neovim over regular vim?
>>
>>51596089
>mixed php + html
that sounds horrible
>>
>>51600583
Quoting the github page:

“Neovim is a project that seeks to aggressively refactor Vim in order to:
>Simplify maintenance and encourage contributions
>Split the work between multiple developers
>Enable the implementation of new/modern user interfaces without any modifications to the core source
>Improve extensibility with a new plugin architecture”
>>
>>51600583
>>51600677
Forgot to mention the source has been shortened quite a bit.
>>
>>51600543
Emacs is the emacs of window managers:

https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm
>>
I use emacs --nw for quick editing if I don't have GUI access. Ctrl-C+0 is cool for multi windows.
>>
>>51600121
>begginning
spot the vim/emacs user
>>
>>51600562
This nigga knows whats up.

If you start, just use spacemacs or prelude.
>>
>>51600907
the end times are near
>>
>>51596089
web-mode exists exactly for that dipshit. Emacs supports multiple major modes for buffers.
>>
>>51601016
Emacs only. Vim corrects you.
>>
>>51601322
Emacs does as well.
>>
>>51597238
>>51597279
I map caps lock to alt and alt to control.
Master race.

Probably would have been better just to map caps lock to control but I'm too used to this now.
>>
>>51600677
>>51600704
if i only intend to use it and not be a developer, the only difference i'll notice is a better plugin system?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.