[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows can run .exes and Linux can't checkmate, I think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

Windows can run .exes and Linux can't checkmate, I think we all know who won
>>
File: Bait.jpg (16KB, 308x308px) Image search: [Google]
Bait.jpg
16KB, 308x308px
>>51589227
kk op
>>
Wine can run many native windows executables
mono and coreclr can run many .NET executables

Windows cannot run a .ELF file, however. Attempts at emulating a POSIX environment within Windows are actually harder than the other way around, due to the nature of how CreateProcess (Windows) and fork() and exec() (POSIX) work. Implementing CreateProcess using fork() and exec() is trivial. Implementing even just fork() using CreateProcess is... difficult and inefficient.
>>
>>51589350
Right so Windows is gooder because you emulate it better because its developed better
Checkmate linux fag
>>
>>51589350
>actually falling for this bait
>>
File: 1401310195002.png (22KB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
1401310195002.png
22KB, 180x200px
>>51589375
>gooder
now you got me
>>
>>51589375

>gooder
Not a word

>easier to emulate means its developed better
Not really. Windows system calls are complex, whereas Unix system calls are simple. It's easy to produce something complex from combining simple system calls. Going the other way around is hard, and therefore decreases the functionality of the operating system. Consider this: because Unix considers more things than Windows to be files, it can use the select() system call to wait on a pipe, a terminal, and a socket descriptor at the same time. Windows cannot do the same thing, as socket descriptors are "not files".
>>
>>51589508
Socket descripters arent file bc theyre called socket descripters not files dumbass LOL
Windows 1
Linux 0
>>
>>51589508
>>51589437
more good, then.
>>
>>51589578
the word is "better", you fucking retarded indian.
>>
>>51589597
Sorry, I was not aware that "bett" is a synonym for "good".
>>
>>51589597
no shit you fucking autistic 16 year old. holy shit some punch this fucking geek in the face.
>>
>>51589610
it may be confusing for someone who doesn't speak english, but "good" is an irregular adjective, like "bad", "far", and "old".

I really hope you learn this before you get started working at a call center, or you're going to give away that you're a street-shitting indian right off the bat.
>>
Windows did win, op is still a faggot.

Checkmate /end thread with my withnpost.
>>
>>51589350
>big words

autismo/10
>>
>>51589508
Reply tripfag, you got owned
>>
>>51589350
You're the guy who writes that 5,000 line accepted answer (by the mods) at SO just for everyone else to scroll to the second answer where someone gives the solution in 1 line of code
>>
>>51590198
the 5k line answers give the principle behind the answer. the 1-line answer is almost invariably the "this is homework and i shouldn't give you the answer but what do i care?" response.
>>
File: 1429177114622.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1429177114622.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>51589350
>muh POSIX
>muh gnu trash
>muh open sores
>>
>>51589350
>Windows cannot run a .ELF file, however. Attempts at emulating a POSIX environment within Windows are actually harder than the other way around, due to the nature of how CreateProcess (Windows) and fork() and exec() (POSIX) work. Implementing CreateProcess using fork() and exec() is trivial. Implementing even just fork() using CreateProcess is... difficult and inefficient.

What you fail mention here is that none of that really matters.
Windows users don't care about GNU/Shitware and all useful things I can think of can be cross-compiled to native Windows binary.

Meanwhile it's a big plus for GNU/Linux because your software is shit and you'd rather run Windows software with varying degrees of usability than actually fix your own stuff.

Also
>muh POSIX
Linux and GNU never will or will be fully POSIX.
At least MS had Xeinix certified Unix unlike the wannabe hack-job linkeks have managed to shit out of their chubby fingertips.
Compare any GNU code to that have BSD's (This includes Xeinix) and it's an absolute fucking abomination.
>>
File: 1438115087612.jpg (4MB, 6192x3416px) Image search: [Google]
1438115087612.jpg
4MB, 6192x3416px
>OP shits on DESIGNATED
>thinks he's allowed to have an opinion
Just because world hasn't bombed your shit country yet doesn't imply you should have the ability to live and express opinions, OP.
>>
>>51590326
Had
Past Tense
Microsoft in its current state is shit with botnet 10
>>
>>51590326
Not being able to easily port or run Unix and Posix software is one of Windows biggest problems.

Unix and Posix isn't just "muh Ganooh Loonix", its basically the rest of the world. Most servers, many embedded devices, almost all smart phones run some sort of Posix-compatible Unix-like OS, which makes it the most important target platform for creating cross-platform libraries and software.

Microsoft development tool chains are less and less important, cause nobody can afford to make software just for Windows anymore. iOS is important, Android is important, OSX is important, nobody will write Win32 code that only compiles with MSVC anymore. Microsoft is literally struggling to adapt to those changes by trying to provide cross-platform toolkits that work properly on Windows too (they open-sourced .NET, they try to integrate Clang / LLDB into their compiler toolchain), in the long run they'll have to be compatible with the rest of the world.

>muh certifications
Nobody cares, you pay for it and get a certificate thats how it works.
>>
>>51589227
$ echo -e "#include <stdio.h> \n int main(void){ \n printf (\"In your face.\");\n}" > winfag.c
$ gcc winfag.c -o win.exe
$ ./win.exe
>>
>>51591648
this tbhfam
>>
>>51591648
kek
>>
>>51589227
lintards on suicide watch
>>
File: 2038.jpg (10KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
2038.jpg
10KB, 250x242px
>>51591648
you forget to chmod
>linux
>running its own binaries without problems
>>
>>51594189
gcc does that on its own, bruh

$ gcc -w -x c -o pepe.exe - <<<'main(){printf("muh games\n");}'
$ ls -l pepe.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 anon anon 8584 Nov 29 11:50 pepe.exe
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.