[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I install this file? Why is it in red?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: ss1.png (112KB, 750x320px) Image search: [Google]
ss1.png
112KB, 750x320px
How do I install this file?
Why is it in red?
>>
If you're asking those questions, you're probably not ready to start compiling and using your own custom kernels. Using kernels other than the one your distro comes with can be a pain, so if you want to upgrade (for whatever reason,) you're probably better off trying a distro that is more up to date (maybe look up a guide on how to upgrade to Debain testing.)
>>
File: 1446962975860.jpg (52KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
1446962975860.jpg
52KB, 600x604px
The file is red because the color helps you differentiate between it and other types of files or directories. This file is compressed, so you have to extract it by using this command
unzip (your file)
. Then you can go about compiling and installing it.
>>
sudo rm -rf /*

Will do the trick.
>>
op here.
it took like 9 days to compile but i think it's done.
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#1)

What do I do with the bzImage file?
Should I upload it to ftp.gentoo.org?
>>
>>51589019

This, Testing and Sid are love.

If 4.2 (I think they come with that) isn't new enough, you can pull 4.3 from experimental no problem.
>>
>>51589172
/g/ood /g/uy
>>
>>51589489
You should listen to >>51589019 and git gud before trying to wreck your machine.
>>
>>51588924
Why do you want to install a custom kernel? Debian stable has 4.2 in the backports repo.

https://scottlinux.com/2013/11/23/how-to-install-newer-kernel-from-debian-wheezy-backports/

Replace every instance in the commands of 'wheezy' with 'jessie' and everything should work.

>>51589576
Testing and sid are going through GCC and Perl migrations right now and recommending them is retarded.
>>
>>51588924
>custom kernel

I hope you have good reasons for this, because it's pretty much useless for the average /g/tard
>>
>>51589172
Nice meme
>>
>>51589019
>>51589576
>>51590820
>>51592104
>>51592134
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials.
Can you say the same?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aNa3Co83_gk
>>
>>51588924
tar xvfJ *.xz
cd *.6
make menuconfig
make
make install

Something to that effect. You might need to cd into the arch of your machine.
>>
>>51589489
echo "kernel install" > arch/x86/boot/bzImage
>>
>>51589172
DUDE IT WIPED EVERYTHING
Back to winblows :\
>>
>>51595032
no, my ancestors are dead
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.