[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>has surpassed Ubuntu in popularity >therefore more users,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 17

File: linuxmint.png (316KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
linuxmint.png
316KB, 1920x1200px
>has surpassed Ubuntu in popularity
>therefore more users, better support
>developed with Cinnamon, the best DE, in mind
>has a settings manager, update manager, and software center GUI that isn't utter shit
>comes with everything you need OOTB
>a new batch of comfy photography for wallpapers with each release
>stable as fuck
>just works

So, why aren't you using the all-around best, most comfiest distro of all time, /g/? With 17.3 just around the corner, it's about to get even better.
>>
I have a job
>>
>>51587423
To be honest, OP, I finally am using it!
I checked in with Mint every-other release or so, and finally came away impressed with whatever version packaged Cinnamon 2.6 by default. I have finally given up "muh minimalism, muh lightweight" comfy life in Openbox for Cinnamon. I still feel a little dirty, but less and less each day.
>>
because ubuntu looks better in screenfetch. also because I don't want to rice again.
>>
>>51587439
fixing X when it breaks in arch linux isn't a very fun job to have

>>51587482
you don't need to rice mint
>>
>>51587523
>you don't need to rice mint
I've used it before for like a day. I didn't like the likes. I'd have to rice it. Ubuntu was easy to rice and I don't want to rice again.
>>
>>51587423
Used it on my T500, switched to Xubuntu since I needed something more lightweight to run a windows VM comfortably with 4GB of ram. I guess I could have also installed XFCE on mint, but whatever.
>>
>>51587423
I don't want to go through Nvidia driver hell again.
>>
>>51587423
Cinnamon's DE is nice I agree but Linux Mint sucks because it includes an unreal amount of bloat, over 2000 packages mostly useless bullcrap you have to meticulously uninstall. I think the best setup is Arch / Debian or Ubuntu minimal with Cinnamon.
>>
File: RAGE tears.png (26KB, 300x309px) Image search: [Google]
RAGE tears.png
26KB, 300x309px

FUCKING HELL.

That means it will go to shit in no time.
Everything gets shit when normies discover it and some people behind the scenes find ways to use that to their advantage.
It has always been like this. There's no exception.
>>
Well, the difficult to remove invasive addons to firefox are a huge downside. or at least, they were a few years back when I last used the distro.
>>
I use it. It's nice, runs very well in modern laptops.
>>
>>51587726
>difficult to remove invasive addons to firefox
wut
>>
>>51587726
thats still a thing

>>51587659
>normies
its mint - the one of the most normie friendly distros out there. what are you smoking?
>>
I never use Mint but I use Porteus whenever I need it and it just werks. Less bloated and it can play mp3 files right away without installing codec first.
>>
>>51587650
what the fuck

Pray tell, what the hell do you consider bloat in mint?
>>
It's ugly as sin and became broken when I tried to rice it.

Elementary OS is great on the other hand
>b-but it has shitty midori browser and doesn't have [program of choice] installed
So install what you want on it
>>
>>51587423
>>a new batch of comfy photography for wallpapers with each release

If that's even on your list of selling points for an OS, then said OS is shit.
>>
In what way has it surpassed Ubuntu in popularity? Distrowatch charts don't count, faggot
>>
I do use it, it is pretty comfy. Plus extensions can be written in JS for Cinnamon.
>>
>>51587423
Popularity eh? Because distrowatch ratings are all so relevant in measuring the actual spread.
>>
>>51587423
Stop lying on the internet.
>>
>>51587423
>promoting cinnimon mint
not kde mint
>>51587597
You can get xfce mint
>>51587621
Switching to nvdia drivers is as simple as going to the system settings
>>51588382
>elementry
no
>>51588491
they show public intrest
>>
Yeah, source or GTFO. Last time I checked Ubuntu was still dominating.
>>
>>51587423
Sure thing
>>
>>51587423
Because I'm still waiting for all my damn Windows updates to install first. I have a live CD to install it from just sitting on my desk, waiting for me to use.
>>
>>51588422
>buying Linux
>>
File: 1315331762829.jpg (22KB, 445x456px) Image search: [Google]
1315331762829.jpg
22KB, 445x456px
>>51588799
>kde mint

you are my nigga
>>
I am using mint.
>>
>>51587423
Ricing it at the moment. Mc punjabi on repeat in the background. Fun! Yay!
>>
I don't like Cinnamon or MATE because I hate GTK+ and I'm considering a move to Manjaro instead.
>>
>>51589272
Nice , Rajeev (:
Show us result when you done
>>
>>51589272
>Ricing mint
Pajeet my son
>>
>Anti Semitic
/pol/ approves.
>>
Using it too. But it lags like shit. Also cant change windows themes and have 0 customization.
Atlest its better than vista and ubuntu so far
>>
ubuntu mate is better
>>
>>51587659
>normies
>mint
kill yourself
>>
Isn't ubuntu 'owned' by Amazon? If that's the case it's no better than windows.
No wonder people move to mint
>>
>>51591522

no
>>
but can it vidya
>>
>>51591555
yes
>>
personally I don't like it, it looks ugly, boring and crashes too often. Basically a cheap Windows clone.

Good for Windows users who want to give linux a try.
>>
Cinnamon itself is my favorite DE, but I prefer using Fedora.
>>
>>51587423
Because I can't update it. I would need to install it all over again.
>>
I use Debian GNU/Linux, the most stable and comfy distro. There's no point in using Debian-derivatives when you can use the real original thing.

Probably Mint is a better choice if you like Cinnamon though, but if you don't, meh.
>>
>>51587423
>stable as fuck
>just works

>few months ago
>install mint, dual boot as windows.
>neglect windows for about 3 weeks, using mint exclusively
>need to work on something in Autocad
>go back to windows
>use it for about a week
>go back to mint
>it shits itself
>x won't start
>after a few reboots, x finally works again
>apt-get update and upgrade
>mint crashes again

fuck this shit.

I nuked the HDD when I upgraded to windows 10.

fuck it.
>>
Do the installers still force you to install absolutely fucking everything? I gave it a try a few years back and it was installing LibreOffice, media players and a ton of other unnecessary shit I didn't want during the setup. It didn't even offer any choice or customization in the matter. That kind of shit might fly for some random idiot who can't do anything besides point and click, or perhaps someone who isn't really computer literate who has been coerced into trying a Linux distro for some reason. It can't even be described as hand-holding, more like being pushed around in a buggy.
>>
File: 1445700408567.jpg (66KB, 600x874px) Image search: [Google]
1445700408567.jpg
66KB, 600x874px
>>51587423
>using outdated bloated slow shit instead of arch/gentoo

based winkids
>>
Tried it, liked it, couldn't get a sound driver anywhere for my G500 so I switched back to 8.1
>dat comfy dolby equalizer
>>
>>51592287
>using useless NEET shit like Arch/Gentoo
Based retard
>>
>>51592365
nice memes
>>
>>51591264
It's shit
>>
>>51592287
>>51592365
Where LFS in this?
>>
>>51587423
But I am.
Mint 17 was what convinced me to switch to GNU/Linux as my main OS.
I've since updated it to 17.1 and 17.2 with no issues.
>>
Because slower than win xp on my old test laptop, freezes up randomly for no reason after clean install, no easy way to find/ install proprietary amd drivers and I don't have enough time to find a way in the clusterfuck of different ways and tutorials to do it.. Looks good I give it that, but damn I thought it would work faster in simple desktop/ window navigation..
Tried lubuntu after that.. Faster in desktop work, but open a Firefox with more than 3 tabs and the whole thing goes to shit.. Forget about YouTube..
There, I tried, didn't have a good time, back to win it is.. At least I know how to use it a bit better and it wekrs decent..
>>
>>51592461
Do you miss gayman?
>>
>>51592832
Yes. I dual boot for the games I can't run natively or in wine.
>>
>>51587659
first of all, use normalfag rather than normie. second, mint is the most normalfag friendly distro there is. it was designed so any windows idiot can have everything out of the box and absolutely no linux experience was required.
>>
>>51587423

I used it happily for about 2 years OP. But I've since switched to xubuntu. Mint's repos were just too old.
>>
Because there is no reason to use any meme spin-off over Debian.
>>
>>51592043
>upgraded
>>
>>51592461
>chrome
you disgust me.
>>
File: field_goal.gif (2MB, 396x264px) Image search: [Google]
field_goal.gif
2MB, 396x264px
>>51587423
>51587423
Linux is free, so long as you don't value your time.
>>
>>51594288

Maybe he uses it for netflix.
>>
>>51594325
this desu senpai
>>
>>51594325
Now that I've invested the time in myself to learn it, I get things done just fine. Do you think you just woke up and 'knew' how to use Winbot anon? Took time then too.
>>
>>51594288
Opera is being an ass with the codecs and not everything works even though newer versions should support chromium-codecs, so I use Chrome for youtube.
I want to replace it with Vivaldi since it's becoming more and more like the old (real) Opera, but it still has it's issues that stop me from using it full time.
Firefox is just sitting there in case someone else wants to use the computer to check something.
>>
>>51592948
People actually use wine?
>>
>>51595194
rekt
>>
>>51596300
Why not?
>>
>>51587423
I already am
>>
>>51587565
>Unity easy to rice

wat? It's the same shit as GNOME3. Fuck, even windows 10 is easier to rice than unity.
>>
>GTK is too outdated to support newer themes
>Can't update it
There's always something
>>
>>51596579
>Can't update it
Will Cinnamon break if you update libgtk?
>>
>>51596625
I don't actally know, I'm not fluent in Linux and everyone I've asked just says you can't update GTK
>>
>>51587423
But I do use Mint. I remember when you used to get nothing but shit for running Mint. "Hurr just another Ubuntu clone with different DE why bother"

Plain ubuntu unity was slow as fuck for my laptop. Wifi drivers were iffy and after arguing with people on the forum about what ro do, it came down to them saying "well your wifi controller just isnt compatible then. Sorry". Gave Mint a go and everything worked out of the box with zero issues. How if the 2 OSs are so similar? No clue. But Mint just werked when I needed a stable OS in the short term and ended up liking it so much I used it in the long term. Been using since Mint 15.
>>
>>51587423
wow that looks awful
>>
1.0 Ada
2.0 Barbara
2.1 Bea
2.2 Bianca
3.0 Cassandra
3.1 Celena
15 Olivia
16 Petra
17 Qiana
17.1 Rebecca
17.2 Rafaela
17.3 Rosa

>17 Qiana
>17.1 Rebecca

cunts
>>
Will it work on 2.4 GHz and 2 gb ram?
>>
>>51596828
I installed it on an okd laptop for a co-worker. C
C2D and 1.5gb of ddr2, 5400rpm drive. Fresh install after zero-ing the drive, it booted in 35 seconds and ran smooth for everything except 1080p youtube streams or video playback. But that is more a fault on the hardware than it is the OS.
>>
>>51596915
oh ok
>>
No thanks, Mint does not have a policy against including nonfree software, it includes nonfree binary blobs in drivers packaged with the kernel, and it includes nonfree programs in its repositories. It even includes proprietary codecs.
>>
>>51587423
>Cinnamon, the best DE, in mind
Sorry but no.
>>
Ehh I prefer Unity over Cinnamon.
>>
>>51587423
>doesn't use trinity
>isn't gentoo
DROPPED
>>
>>51596828
Look for something more lightweight to be honest, you just won't get the best experience with that machine.
Lubuntu, Peppermint OS etc.

>>51597016
What do you like more in Unity?
>>
File: frankuu.png (1MB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
frankuu.png
1MB, 3840x1080px
>>51597063
Launcher is separate from panel, no need for fucking around with applets and shit to get a desired look, the menu in the panel in gtk apps (hidden until searched for), log in and shutdown/logout/etc prompt look gorgeous compared, GTK theming is hell of a lot more consistent, Dash looks better to me than Cinnamon's default and custom launchers.
>>
File: Screenfetch.png (342KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Screenfetch.png
342KB, 1680x1050px
>>51592461
Desktop brother!
>>
File: Cinnamon.png (2MB, 2246x1628px) Image search: [Google]
Cinnamon.png
2MB, 2246x1628px
>>51597463
>Launcher is separate from panel, no need for fucking around with applets and shit to get a desired look
You can have multiple panels in Cinnamon.
I don't see how lack of applets is a plus, especially when Cinnamon has an integrated applets and themes manager so you can just download them from there.

>the menu in the panel in gtk apps (hidden until searched for),
In Cinnamon it depends on the program, some have the option to hide it. Personally I prefer it to the client side decorations and hamburger menu in newer Gnome, but that's a personal preference.
It's one of those things that are supposed to make it look more simple, but end up making it more frustrating to use.
See how Nemo has the option to move files to bookmarked locations, open folders as root etc. Also right click options to move windows to other desktops or monitors.
I can also switch audio outputs with one click which is very useful since I use both a desktop monitor and TV, and cinnamon is great for dual monitors too.

>log in and shutdown/logout/etc prompt look gorgeous compared,
Come on now that's a weak one. Cinnamon on the other hand has a log in screen manager and you can easily download themes for it.

>GTK theming is hell of a lot more consistent,
You just can't use the latest GTK themes since it's on libgtk 3.10

>Dash looks better to me than Cinnamon's default and custom launchers.
Maybe you like it more, but it's absolutely unusable with a mouse. It's also extremely laggy if you're not on an SSD.
For those reasons imho it's worse than a regular start menu or the launcher in something like Elementary OS.
>>
>>51587423
do you still have to reinstall every release or is upgradable now?
>>
Intrigued about Mint, but sceptical about the Ubuntu base.

How's the Mint Debian Edition running on older hardware?
>>
>>51597934
17.x have been upgradable, don't know when 18 comes out if you can upgrade to it.
Mint uses the LTS releases now so it should be good for at least 2 years.

>>51597973
I don't think Cinnamon is a good choice for old hardware to be honest, just pick a lightweight distro and DE.
>>
I am using it, and I even donated some money to them.

I'll probably make another donation, too.
>>
>>51598039
>sending money to people who support ISIS openly
>>
>>51598124
>implying ISIS isn't Israel's ally
>>
>>51592461
that screenfetch looks disgusting. it's a dealbraker for me.
>>
>>51587423
i used it as a first distro, if it weren't for LMDE i wouldn't have stayed with GNU/Linux. now i'm using debian testing and i absolutely love it.
>>
>>51599311
Install Gentoo
>>
>>51599355
tried it, it's pretty cool but i like debian better. also i didn't ask a question, why do you want me to install gentoo?
>>
>>51599396
Install Gentoo
>>
It can't surpass Ubuntu because it IS ubuntu.
>>
>>51596518
Ubuntu =/= Unity
You can install another DE/WM
and purge Unity
>>
Cinnamon is very nice, I use it now and it's awesome.
>>
>>51599612
Alternatively you can just install Ubuntu Server without the service shit and just build your own chair from a block of wood.
>>
>>51599612
Yeah, yeah... I know. I can install linux from scratch and be free.
>>
>>51596828
Works on me old ass Lenovo r61i, alas a bit slow.
>>
>>51587423
Cinnamon's heavy dependence on javascript makes it lag on my c50 processor netbook. I reject the notion that opening the start menu in less than .5 second should require a high-end CPU.
>>
How can I make Mint look more clean, basically, how do I rice it?
>>
>>51587423
Cinnamon is depreciated.

XFCE, KDE or bust desu
>>
>>51601058
>mate, trinity or bust desu
FTFY
>>
>>51594440
Fuck you, Jack. I remember you making that thread about "ALL MUH PRODUCTS MUST TALK TO EACH OTHER"

FUCK YOU
>>
>>51587423
Ubuntu is easier to configure for a server.

Free/Open BSD are easier to configure for a media center.

Work -requires- Win10 Enterprise so that's on my actual workstation. Also has baked-in VM that actually allows you to hardware-assign cores and has full hardware graphics support for all VM's (yes I'm running dual E5 xeons as a "desktop" because my home computer is also my render farm)
>>
Because I'm a gaymer, windows 10 is the only acceptable OS for gaming.
>>
>>51601861
>Because I'm a gaymer, windows 10 is the only acceptable OS for gaming.
And it's people like you who keep us firmly mired in the '80s.
>>
i am about to drop windows 7 and switch to linux for the first time, and I am currently making a USB that can boot Mint, am I making a mistake? Should I just wait until 17.3 comes out or will the o.s. update when I have Mint installed and that update comes out?
>>
>>51587423

>therefore more users, better support

implying
>>
>>51601991
You are making a huge mistake.
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>51601954
Kek, how? You loonix fags have less drivers than amd cards.
>>
>>51593067

The biggest problem I had when going to linux as not being able to watch chaturbate streams.
>>
>>51601058
How can something depreciate when it was free to begin with?
>>
>>51597872

That looks beautiful.
>>
>>51601954
You fucking idiot. I can't believe you were lead by such shit bait.
>>
>>51601991
do it...or at least dual boot with windows 7 if you got enough space to spare on your system
>>
ayy
>>
>>51602405
great, now open menu-goto preferences-desktop and turn off those desktop icons...then goto menu internet and right click on chromium browser and add it to panel instead...now right click your terminal and show menu then click preference change terminal size, font, color....then type in terminal screenfetch -c6 (or any number between 1-15) to change screenfetch color...you're no longer a windows user, stop acting like one
>>
>>51602759
Or just... keep it how it is because different strokes for different folks...
>>
>>51602781
fine....i guess the the most important thing is you're using loonix
>>
>>51602759
looks like shit
>>
>>51602759
>DO EVERYTHING THE SAME AS MEEEEEEEE
Fuck off retard
>>
>>51587423
xbubuntu is the best *buntu flavor senpai
>>
>>51588382
Katie?
>>
File: freebsd3.jpg (376KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd3.jpg
376KB, 1680x1050px
I don't use Mint because Linux is a colossal cluster fuck. Touting duplication and dilution of developer efforts as a positive seems to be an ongoing theme among the users of nasty UNIX knock off OS's.
>>
File: brahmin.png (19KB, 383x321px) Image search: [Google]
brahmin.png
19KB, 383x321px
>>51587423
>wanting to use the same memeware as the peasantry
>needing other feeble minds to do your work for you
>supporting a DE that focuses on dulling the potential for intellectual expression in a desktop medium
>needing a dumbed-down GUI for basic tasks that the most robust of man-machine interfaces, the CLI, can easily accomplish
>actually desiring other people to force you to install software you aren't going to use
>relying upon other subpar minds to produce artwork for your consumption
>needing your software of choice to be audited by the peasantry in order to be considered "usable"
>actually wanting to just open your mouth and have garbage fed into it by the lower classes

You are barely even a kshatriya at this point, you might as well be a common laborer. Have some class, please. Arch Linux is the only Linux distribution that actually promotes intellectual progress and is fully compatible with societal brahmin such as myself.
>>
File: image.jpg (132KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 640x640px
>>51587523
You can't rice bloated ass mint

>>51587659
Mint is already le dogshite

>>51588382
Elementary OS is run by a mentally ill tranny

I don't trust such a "person" with my distro

>>51596958
Who gives a solitary fuck you autist

>>51601991
Dude get xubuntu instead
>>
>>51603118
And people wonder why arch users are called autistic
>>
Because Ubuntu has commercial software I use for it that is supported.
>>
>>51601337
screw you dude Im not using the botnet Ubuntu. Literally built in spying for 'stats' purposes. Its no wonder it ships installed on machines now, because if it was fucking GNU-linux as in free as in freedom of software, it wouldn't make it past the business man's thought process. Because a business man knows you need to spy on home tard users to get info because they aren't smart enough to contribute to the community, which is the flaw in Richard Stallman's thinking and linux in general. I would never put Ubuntu near my servers though, in all seriousness. Coming from a sysadmin here, too. Try Debian, no GUI, and work your way up from there to install things correctly. If you do it right, meaning your research and build, you'll be golden for years to come.(also document and backup the document to offsite).
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.