[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: 81wwgSmpFsL._SL1500_.jpg (76KB, 1500x1181px) Image search: [Google]
81wwgSmpFsL._SL1500_.jpg
76KB, 1500x1181px
What are some good resources for helping me decide on a laptop to buy?

If someone on here feels up to recommending one to me I'd be happy to post details about what I'm looking for.
>>
/g/ isn't very good. You'll end up buying a used thinkpad or a rMBP if you listen here.
>>
>>51582589
If not /g/, where?

Just now discovered that Logical Increments has a new section about Laptops.

Been pretty happy with Logical Increments's recommendations in the past, so that's awesome.
>>
>>51582589
Used ThinkPads are great on a budget, and rMBP is great without much of a budget. They certainly aren't the only options, but stop pretending that it's just a meme. They are recommended for valid reasons.
>>
I just bought an HP Spectre x360 and the botnet 10 drivers crashed twice ALREADY. should I just go return this thing? what is the best laptop at best buy? I work there and get super cheap geek squad in case I drop it. alternatively, should I get the asus zenbook instead? looking for something for csgo and photoshop, touchscreen and 13.3 inch.
>>
>>51582564
Rec places:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-110.html
http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/what-notebook-should-i-buy.16/

Note sure how updated this is, but they have some interesting benchmarks:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Benchmarks-Tech.123.0.html
>>
>>51582564

the most important question for what laptop to choose:

>How much are you doing to move it
-stays at your desk, almost never moves
-carry it to work/class and then back home
-carry it to multiple classes/offices, often in your backpack

>what is your budget
-$300-$500
-$500-$700
-$700-1000
-$1000-$1250
-$1250+

>what kind of programs will you handle
-just simple web browsing, word, excel
-image or video editing, photoshop/premiere, photography postprocessing
-constant video or 3D rendering, working with very large images with multiple layers on Photoshop

>do you plan to play games on it
-no, only the occasional facebook browser game
-yes, I would occasionally play the games I like
-Yes, I will mainly use it for gaming, or I want to max out the settings of my games while playing

with these questions I can help you choose a correct one
>>
>>51584664

>How much are you moving it?

Constantly. I'll be carrying it in my backpack all day, almost every day.

>Budget?

300-800

>What kind of programs?

Mostly simple stuff. I'm a computer science major so any coding environments or software associated with programming. As of now, I don't know what these might be, but I'm led to believe that they're not demanding.

No photoshop or 3d modeling or anything of that sort.

>Games?

It'd be nice to be able to play some games, but for the most part my desktop takes care of my gaming needs. I would not expect to play any graphically intense game on my laptop.

One note, it would be nice to be able to stream (as in uploading a video stream to twitch.tv, not like streaming netflix or something) from my laptop. My understanding is that this is mainly a CPU consideration. I would not be streaming anything graphically demanding, and, while this would be a nice luxury, is absolutely not mandatory.
>>
>>51585084

id say the ASUS UX305

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX305LA-13-3-Inch-Titanium-Windows/dp/B013KKANTE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448767659&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+ux305

currently going for $700
>>
>>51584664
how about for
-carry it to multiple classes/offices, often in your backpack
-$300-$500
-just simple web browsing, word, excel
-no, only the occasional facebook browser game

i like the idea of the ones that flip into a tablet, but idk if its a gimmick or what. or if that feature just makes it needlessly overpriced.
>>
>>51585575
forgot to mention it will be used as kind of a "living room pc" as well, to do thing like cast to chromecast and what not. i also have a 5g router so idk if wireless card in it is something i should look at or if it is pretty standard across the board.
>>
>>51585398

no this is better and has skylake and 256gb ssd:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-ZenBook-UX305CA-UHM1-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.328071300

btfo the new macbook and only $600
>>
File: 1420443097823.png (308KB, 546x522px) Image search: [Google]
1420443097823.png
308KB, 546x522px
>>51585646
>core M
>>
>>51585646
It has a fucking core m, skylake doesn't mean shit you autist
>>
>>51585084
If you're going to stream, I'd stick with a quad core part
>>
>>51584456
Spectre x360 has been amazing so far for me. But zenbook 300 series has good alternates.
>>
>>51585799
i mean it's possible i haven't updated the drivers yet, and they're just old. desu i'm trying to find reasons to bring it back mostly because i'm still trying to justify spending 1k on a laptop lol. How long have you had it? does the touchpad get in the way sometimes for you too? shit is huge
>>
>>51582564
Look for what you want OP, such as performance, battery life, an SSD, etc. then you can go from there and search away on tech sites such as best buy or newegg to find something you might want
>>
>>51585646

I have one of those in the office

I recommended the i5 version because it's $100 more, and even though CPU performance is just 20-30% more, the integrated GPU performance is about twice and even higher
>>
thoughts? is there something better for>>51585575
>>
>>5158628shit http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-232-761
>>
>>51585398
this is one i'd had my eye on, and it's what's pictured in the OP.

anyone have any other suggestions? or any feedback about the zenbook?
>>
you should be buying a thinkpad or an apple.
there are a few exceptions but you're not smart enough to figure them out or even listen when they're pointed out to you. plus, you probably have a budget for your computer and/or play video games on it which means your opinion is worthless and your situation is completely uninteresting.
>>
YOOOOOOOOOO

am i missing something here? or is this a fuckin phenomenal deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P03JA6606&cm_re=x360_spectre-_-9SIA4P03JA6606-_-Product
>>
>>51586678
>refurbished
>>
>>51586678
it is refurbished, but that's still a fucking good deal. If i had seen it before i bought it new, i DEFINITELY would have done that.

desu i think i'm gonna keep mine anyways, it gets a little hot but it's small compact and has a good battery, which is enough for me.
>>
a friend of mine recommended this:

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,242,0)ec

anyone have experience with this company, or thoughts on that build? seems cost effective and more powerful than the one i already bought, which is this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P03JA6606&cm_re=x360_spectre-_-9SIA4P03JA6606-_-Product

wouldn't be too late to cancel the order.
>>
File: corem.png (917KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
corem.png
917KB, 1920x1080px
>>51586410

Typing on a UX305FA right now.

Would recommend for what you seem to want it for. I can run sublime text and a couple of pretty ssh clients like its nothing.

Also, I can get mine to run tf2 with a decent framerate at not shit settings. Heres a screen cap I used for a previous thread.

I will say that the second this thing hits 10% battery, it slows to a crawl. You'll be able to save your documents and close the lid, but thats about it. You can barely watch youtube.
>>
File: corem2.png (1022KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
corem2.png
1022KB, 1920x1080px
>>51588156

Here's one with a framerate counter.
>>
>>51585575
Asus x205ta.
It's $200, co es with office 365 for a year, and has a good screen and keyboard/trackpad. Fucking 11 hour battery too (I get 10 on mine now, but its got a bunch of cycles on it now).

It's plastic, so it does creak in some spots, and unless your able to find the white or gold one, its a fingerprint magnet. No flipping or anything, its just a simple, everyday laptop.
>>
>>51584664
I am finally looking to upgrade my old laptop, any recs?

-carry it to work/class and then back home
-$300-1000
>what kind of programs will you handle
-CAD/CAM (Catia and Solidworks)
-prob wont play games with it
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.