[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why does windows need to restart after installing drivers when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: awow.jpg (48KB, 680x616px) Image search: [Google]
awow.jpg
48KB, 680x616px
why does windows need to restart after installing drivers when linux and OSX don't?
>>
>>51578139
Son linux restarts pretty often after major updates. It's just a meme spread by butthurt nix users.

I use dualboot when the urge arises to play a game, well all my graphics updates never required a restart on windows 7. Could it be that you enver touched windows since XP?
>>
>>51578203
>major updates
Yeah, there's like two a year, whereas Windows requires you to restart at least a couple times a week. It's not a meme, it's true.
>>51578139
Because Windows sucks. Is that what you wanted to hear? Now fuck off.
>>
>>51578203
Times had to reboot from updates in Windows: too many to count

Times had to reboot from updates in Linux: 0

Takes you unsubstantiated claims elsewhere Microshill
>>
>>51578203
>Son linux restarts pretty often after major updates

Really? I haven't restarted my Linux box for an installation or update in months. And that's with a pretty convoluted vga passthrough setup and a hobbyist distro.

>>51578139
Awoo!
>>
>>51578139
awoo~
>>
>>51578203
>>51578237
but what is the actual reason windows needs to restart so often compared to linux
>>
>>51580490
It's poorly designed.
>>
>>51580525
if its poorly designed then why is windows the most used operating system in the world by far
>>
>>51580540
Beats me.
>>
>>51580490
To be able to play all those games man.
>>
>>51580540
Because of deals with hardware manufacturers.
>>
>>51580613
this and deals with schools
>>
>>51580540
it's only the most used for DESKTOPS/LAPTOPS, anything else is dominated by GNU/Linux
>>
>>51578203
>Son linux restarts pretty often after major updates
The only time I ever have to reboot is because of a kernel update or systemd. And even then I don't actually have to, because ksplice is a thing.
>>
>>51580540
>what is a bandwagon
>>
>>51578139
Nice meme. Can I copypasta?
>>
Have fun having to type commands to get things like wireless, Bluetooth, touchpad and every other peripheral on Linux you repugnant neckbeards.
>>
>>51580721
Wireless internet, touchpad, and bluetooth work OOTB on 99% of hardware.

Hell touchpad support for linux is fucking amazing compared to windows.
>>
>>51578203
>>51580655
> because of a kernel update
kexec solve that, no need to hard restart, soft will do just fine.
>>
>>51578203
Linux will never reboot or force you to reboot. You can use ksplice to update the kernel without rebooting. Every GPU driver update in Windows 7 will kick on the automatic restart timer.
>>
>>51580746
Just go to any forum page on the Ubuntu forums for hardware released after mid 2014. Almost no machine just has everything working out of the box without updating the kernel and/or installing drivers manually(because Linux distributors have to be so conceited that they do not have automatic driver installs for new hardware if its proprietary). It's just an annoyance to face when setting up Linux OSes and just fades the value of it in comparison to pre installed Windows, which works with no additional effort.
I wouldn't install and use Linux unless I had to for a crucial reason(had to for university purposes because of which i used a vm).
Basically, there's no compelling reason to fix something that's not broken.
>>
>>51580877
I bet that requires typing out commands into terminal also.
>>
>>51580948
OH NO, ANYTHING BUT THAT
>>
>>51578139
awoo
>>
>>51580972
Yes, that's right. But no, to that intensity.
If I went to any business and offered two alternatives: cli commands and managing dependencies or a convenient automatic update, you know they'd laugh the former idea away.
>>
>>51580972
Good point dude. I'm now going to start using Linux because terminal commands for any updates is not much worse than a one click solution.
>>
>>51580877
>Every GPU driver update in Windows 7 will kick on the automatic restart timer.
You are retarded, my 980Ti never has restarts. Then again I update them manually by loading the drivers off the geforce page and don't let windows do it.
>>
>>51580916
>Almost no machine just has everything working out of the box without updating the kernel and/or installing drivers manually(because Linux distributors have to be so conceited that they do not have automatic driver installs for new hardware if its proprietary
Yeah it sucks that you have to update your drivers on Linux to get hardware support. Thank god that literally never, ever happens on Windows.

And also how is it Linux's fault that hardware manufacturers do not release drivers with linux support. And don't give me that chicken and egg bullshit about how no one uses Linux.
>>
>>51581038
>than a one click solution.
There is no one click solution for windows because windows doesn't have an option for that.
>>
a-
a-
AWOO!
>>
>>51578139
Here's the funny thing both Windows and Linux distros need to restart pretty much for the same reasons.

Linux distros simply don't output this message because the maintainers assume the users are smart enough to know when a reboot is needed or not
>>
>>51578139
>>51581190
Forgot to add.

MS approach on the other end is to tell the user a reboot is necessary (even when it isn't) because they assume the users are too stupid to know if it is actually needed or not, rebooting also "cleans" the system which is usually good so that the performance doesn't decrease too much over time
>>
>>51578203
Only time I restarted after update was when upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04(If you can't understand Maths,its after 2 years.).Sorry man but this is just butthurt Windows user created meme.
>>
>>51581156
You're right. Nvidia control panel, along with windows updates has a 0 click solution. I retract my argument.
>>
>>51581429
Not as butthurt as the users who try out Linux and then realize how much of a time sink it is to use it as a regular desktop.
>>
>>51581121
You must be a product of an American education. My point rests in the fact that updates are very streamlined (automatic in win 10) in Windows compared to Linux OSes, not that Windows needs no updates. You're selective memory like your cherry picked quotes serve your already limited intellect no favors.
>>
But don't forget the most anoying thing, windows installs the patches when you try to turn off the computer!

>I'm going to sleep, turn off
>1/32 updates remaining
>After 30 minutes waiting in front of the screen I just can't stant it anymore and turn the power off
> Next morning, windows doesn't boot.
> Secure mode -> Restore point
> Still doesn't work
> Reinstall graphic drivers (becouse the glich while trying to boot)
> Now it works.

So, total time to reboot: 20h aprox.
The fucking shit didn't even tell me that it was a GPU update.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.