[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solar Panels are technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

I'm preparing to leave me mum's basement so I can finally bring some sluts over and get poonanni. I'm planning on cutting way down on bills, especially electric bills. How far can I get with solar panel chargers that I can have inside on my new apartment's floor that I can buy off of amazon?

I know I can recharge an ipad / iphone, but what about a microwave, foreman grill, desktop pc, minifridge?
>>
File: 1442585570762.png (88KB, 489x423px) Image search: [Google]
1442585570762.png
88KB, 489x423px
any help /g/
>>
File: 1446362733812.jpg (175KB, 1600x1065px) Image search: [Google]
1446362733812.jpg
175KB, 1600x1065px
/g/ please
>>
File: 1434550675692.jpg (70KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1434550675692.jpg
70KB, 640x640px
final bump
>>
>>51561811
You'll never move out senpai desu
>>
>>51561811
Eat canned food, pbjs, and ritz with sprayon cheese. These don't need refrigeration or heat. Buy an Atom NUC.
>>
>>51562379
I'm 2skinny as it is, I can't afford to lose weight
>>
>>51562413
>pbj
>190kcal/2tbsp
Are you a faggot?
>>
Go to www.mlsolar.com and buy some solar cells and build a panel. Just like your PC, prebuilt is more expensive.

It's a good way to learn basic electronics.
>>
Just do like him
http://robrhinehart.com/?p=1331
>>
File: pork-and-beans.jpg (31KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
pork-and-beans.jpg
31KB, 300x300px
>>51562413
eat it cold
>>
Once you factor in buying solar panels, battery's, and maintaining the system throughout the winter it's going to likely be cheaper and less hassle just paying your electric bill.
>>
>>51564599
dude sounds like a huge douchebag
>>
>>51564599
>http://robrhinehart.com/?p=1331
His whole soylent 2.0 thing is 2extreme
>>
You'll be able to recharge small electronics but running a fridge or a grill off of solar? Now thats a laugh. Small scale solar can't handle that load move next to a stream and built a hydroelectric dam.
>>
not sure why you would want to cook with solar when you can cook with fire.

ya know, with a real grill and shit.

the soylent is overpriced hipster shit and their ad promotes race mixing. fuck that shit.
>>
>>51565226
>not sure why you would want to cook with solar when you can cook with fire.
mate i got nearly no money plus its cold as fuck here
>>
It's fucking expensive to use solar right now especially since you would have to buy battery reserves to store your electricity for use during the night or cloudy days.

A single durable 300 watt solar panel will cost you $300-400. You're going to need 4 of these if you want a significant power source for something other than charging your cellphone.

Being optimistic let's say these panels generate on average ~250 watts of energy for 8 hours per day. Then let's say you get a cheap okay DC to AC inverter with 75% efficiency. At the end of the day you get ~750 watts of 120V of AC electricity every hour and a total of 6 kW of energy to use during the whole day.

Cellphone chargers use very little electricity, around 6 watts/hour at best. Laptops use 40-60 watts/hour charging and Desktops around 300-400 watts/hour under load. However even running a single cheap microwave will consume 700 watts/hour and a fridge can occasionally use up to 800 watts depending on size but will average around ~100-200 watts/hour.

A typical day would consist of 0.5 kW for running a mini fridge, maybe 0.5 kW for running a toaster and a microwave for less than 30 minutes/day. Charging a laptop might use 0.1kW and charging a phone isn't even worth mentioning. This is all assuming you don't run A/C or heating units which can use over 8kW of electricity running all day long

So at the end of the day solar would provide the electricity you need for light use but you would be required to have at least a 1 kW battery array to store energy for when the panels don't generate electricity.

>conclusion
Even though you would essentially not pay for electricity if you had a 1kW solar panel + 1kW battery reserve setup, you would have to spend well over $1,000 for everything and this is all assuming you connect and install everything yourself.

Simply put it's cheaper to pay the electric jews for electricity (~$5 to use 31kW of electricity per month @ 16¢/kWh).
>>
>>51561811
>but what about a microwave, foreman grill, desktop pc, minifridge?
None.

All the stuff you mentioned runs at 110V,(or 220) smartphones and tablets run at 5V.

The cost of installing solar panels and a battery big enough to power them is way more than just paying for electricity. So as suggested, change your lifestyle to do without them if you really need to save money.
>>
Bump, interesting thread.
>>
>>51565376
>All the stuff you mentioned runs at 110V,(or 220) smartphones and tablets run at 5V.
You only use a microwave for 1-2 minutes at a time. Foreman grill for 10 min.
>>
>>51566306
Indeed, that barely wastes more than 5 kW of electricity a month which is like $0.90 if you paid ¢18/ kWh.

Solar panels are too expensive right now. When 1,000 watt solar panels drop to ~$400 a piece then it would be cheaper to use solar panels. That day might not come in 2020 or maybe even in 2025.
>>
>>51566386
electric companies are notorious for inflating your costs and adding fees
>>
>>51566436
I don't know what 3rd world you live in pal but here in burger land I pay 80$ tops for electricity in my apartment each month. It usually hovers around $40-60 though.

Solar is promising but it's not even close to ready for replacing the grid for home use.
>>
>Pay 10 dollars for 100 kWh
>Buy a 10,000 dollar battery and 20,000 worth of solar panels.

Yeah nope.
>>
Live like this guy: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/op-ed-how-i-gave-up-alternating-current/

Basically drink shitloads of soylent and don't wear clothes more than once.
>>
>>51566799
>>Pay 10 dollars for 100 kWh
>>Buy a 10,000 dollar battery and 20,000 worth of solar panels.
>Yeah nope.
Man, stop exaggerating senpai. A 1,000 watt solar setup can cost you as low as $800 + $200 for 80% efficient inverter. You can use car batteries to store energy and just two 100 aH batteries give you 2kW of electrical storage.

You would spend less than 2k for everything. Yeah it's still not as cheap as paying for the grid but the prices will only keep dropping as solar tech improves.
>>
>>51566925
>80% efficient inverter
I would never touch those, I'd rather piggy up more for a 95% efficient inverter if I was going solar.
>>
>>51566799
>lasts an eternity
>compared to paying ~1k each year
if you plan on living for more than 30 years it starts to pay itself.
>>
>>51567013
Thats assuming there is zero maintenance and the panels stay efficient.

Its always cheaper to just buy the power at least in my state.
>>
>>51567013
It would only take around 2 years to pay off if you had a 1.2 kW solar setup with a cheap inverter (~$1,400+) $600 for 3 100 aH car batteries which could store 3 kW of electricity.

Don't listen to the electric jews, going solar is getting cheaper and anyone with a functioning brain will switch over to solar around 2020.
>>
>>51567053
True at least a tiny 1.2 kW solar setup can only net you around 150 kW a month or 1,500 kW a year taking into account cloudy days.

The grid is still cheaper but it won't remain that way for long. Also there are people that can live off 150-300 kW of electricity a month comfortably.
>>
>>51567053
>Thats assuming there is zero maintenance and the panels stay efficient.
Just buy lg solar panels like a normal human bean, they come with 10 year warranties. Also solar panels lose efficiency due to dirt on top of the glass, wiping them down with a cleaner/water can't be that fucking hard.

>Its always cheaper to just buy the power at least in my state.
For now.
>>
>>51567053
There are places like Germany where you pay like 28 cents or more per kilowatt hour of electricity. In those places going solar would be cheaper long term for sure even right now.
>>
>>51567523
In the US you get tax breaks for going solar, too.
>>
I use around 350kW of electricity per month, would solar panels be a viable option?
>>
>>51561811
Well, If you want. You can have no power instead just charge a good battery that would be a high cost and then a solar panel thinfilm. It will charge in any weather then.
>>
>>51568224
No a 2.4 kW solar system would cost you over 3K and it would actually generate less than 300 kW a month on average due to clouds/rain.
>>
>>51564599
>public transportation
>never fucking cooks
>doesn't set foot in a grocery store
>this fucking entire narcissistic blog
What the actual fuck is wrong with this faggot
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.