[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be an academic >complete phd in CS >think i'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 6

File: facebook-graffiti-1.jpg (951KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
facebook-graffiti-1.jpg
951KB, 2500x1667px
>be an academic
>complete phd in CS
>think i'm good at software development/programming
>go into real world
>don't know what git is
>don't know anything about server deployment
>finding it hard to contribute to large projects because knowledge of whole stack is required

>meanwhile highschool drop outs of same age already at a better position than me

formal education, even at highest level, is useless for practical purposes
>>
>>51561776
>not doing any internships
>>
I think you just went to a shit university. My university teaches git during the second year.
>>
>>51561796

OP here

mine taught SVN and Synergy in first year too, when i stopped to think about it, but only about the software itself, i.e. theory, which is really pointless, you only really learn once you use it.
>>
>Don't know how to pronounce gif.
>>
>>51561776
I know the feel bro. The only good reason to go that further in CS is if you wanna be a researcher or professor for the rest of your life, which is cool, except of course for the shitty salary (in most cases).
>>
>>51561776
It's your fault for not supplementing with actual experience.
>>
is she working on computer science? tell me.
>>
>>51561889

Of course I did, a few programs running on my own computer (which was enough at the time) is not even close to working in a company. For example, I was doing some security research, and thought I could keep a server secure if I really wanted to, but without knowledge of the latest technologies it was all useless.
>>
>>51561923

she is probably an account manager or other form of paper pusher
>>
>>51561776
>MY DEGREE IS SHIT AT LANDING ME A JOB
>COLLEGE IS A SCAM EVERYONE!

Geophysics major here. I don't have that problem, at all. Getting 70K offers and I'm still half a year away from graduating. Anyone can pick up code-monkey skills in their free time, not so much when it comes to oil and mineral prospection using seismic, gravimetric, magnetic, electrotelluric and various other methods.

I was going to get into CS or CE, but after thinking it over, I realized it was a shit choice. Glad I picked what I did, the work material is lovely, jobs are easy to come by, pay is good and travel opportunities are so good that I accepted one offer that'll get me out of my hellhole of a third world country and into the good ol' first world.
>>
>>51562008
Smarter than a rock anyway.
>>
>>51562008
>Getting 70K offers and I'm still half a year away from graduating

Everyone with a CS degree earns at least that much, it's not landing the job that's hard, it's actually doing it.

You're not even working kid. Reading comprehension = 0.
>>
>>51561795
This, your story is the same as mine OP, I have a BS tho. I got an internship towards the beginning of my senior year. That changed my life.
>>
>>51561776
>he fell for the universitiy meme
>he thinks spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree which will be meaningless in under half a decade was a good idea

you truely are the dumbest of dumb people OP.
>>
>>51561776
youtube teaches git in about 20 minutes
>>
>>51561776
>>complete phd in CS
>think i'm good at software development/programming

You get PhDs to avoid working real jobs or doing actual research work.

Why would go work for some generic code company of course you'll be shit, your knowledge is highly specialized.
>>
File: thatfeel1356927052561.jpg (55KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
thatfeel1356927052561.jpg
55KB, 300x360px
>tfw MIS degree
>>
>>51562177
>▶
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9XZQO1n_7c
>>
>>51561795
Pretty sure there's no college that would give a PHD without any internships. Either OP is dumb as a rock, or it's made up.
>>
>>51561776
> not being able to pick up git within a couple of days by reading stuff on the web.

Kids these days.
>>
>>51561776
>phd in CS
>never used git
you deserve it.
>>
>>51561840
> SVN and something-else-not-git

Tell your Uni their course should be scrapped/replaced.
>>
>>51562258
This
>>
>>51562142
What did your internship consist of? How was it life changing?
>>
College and programming don't mix considering how easy it is to learn programming. If you go to school for that, you're just doing it because "le degree prestige"
>>
Is IT a dead end career?
>>
>>51561776
OP, you must have done a fucking shitty PhD then.

PhD student reporting in. Working alongside a real company and have 3+ years experience from the industry before I started my PhD.
>>
if you're smart enough to get a CS PhD, you should be able to pick up software engineering skills on your own pretty quickly.
>>
>>51562326
Well I went to school for game development, and I was probably one of the worst programmers in my class. I just said fuck it and got an internship during school. I was using Unity doing c# development. They had me working on a prototype project, which eventually rolled into a multimillion dollar deal with another company. So you could say I got thrown into the fire. I only worked part time during school, about 20-25 hours a week. But if you think about that, that's like 20 hours of studying a week. On top of all the homework and school work I did. Quickly I became one of the best programmers in the class. Now I just graduated and have another internship at a triple A game company. Life's pretty gud
>>
>>51562456
From what I hear teach support is shit
>>
File: 1445229388085.jpg (47KB, 345x383px) Image search: [Google]
1445229388085.jpg
47KB, 345x383px
>>51562508

>PhD in CS
>Doesnt know git

Holy shit I didnt know you could get PhDs by mail order
>>
>>51562592
Not op
>>
>>51562592

meant to reply to >>51561776
>>
>Go to a school that doesn't have internships as a mandatory part of even the undergrad curriculum
>Do what is essentially an applied maths degree when taught correctly
>Then being surprised by how much you don't know when you try to get a job in software development and saying that higher education is a scam because you went to a shitty school
Jesus wept... What you're doing is like buying an AMC Pacer, Reliant Robin or other really shitty car and declaring that cars are a scam and you should just walk.
>>
>entry level position
>2-3 years experience required

do I just kill myself or what
>>
>He fell for the PhD meme.
>>
>>51562798
Just apply to them, I've gotten jobs that I didnt even come close to there requirements
>>
Google intern here.

You are all scrubs.
>>
>>51561776
Daily reminder that CS is not a course in programming. You did the wrong thing if wanted to study CS to become a programmer.
>>
>>51562798
Apply anyway. Make sure your resume is as sexy as you can make it (without lying obviously) and you have some decent references.
>>
>>51562855
>not making games and enjoying life, with a happy, fun loving and easy going job.
>being a botnet
>>
>>51562886
>Implying my team isn't happy, fun loving, and easy going.
lel
I don't even have set hours. As long as I get my work done, I'm cool. I'm working about 30 hrs a week on average.
>>
>>51562798
Just for work for free and get that experience, goy. You might get even get paid one day! :^)
>>
>>51561776

>phd in CS

Of course, you need a degree for write Gotos
>>
>>51561776
>math phd 300k starting doesn't know how to do the job of a plumber
Wow, who would've thought.
Cool starry bra.
>>
>>51562908
Same here dude, but I get to make games and get paid
>>
>>51562008
>Not making 80k/year equivalent as an intern halfway through college.
>>
>>51562253
You must be 18 or older to post here.
>>
>>51562958
Game development is not strictly superior to software engineering in terms of personal enjoyment. :^)
Plus the free food is nice.
>>
>>51563004
Actually it is.
>>
>>51563004
>game development
>personal enjoyment
You may only choose one.
>>
>>51562958
What part of the country are you in?
>>
>>51563048
Said the /g/ NEET whose has never worked in games
>>
>>51562958
East Coast
>>
>>51563100
>East Coast
>>
>>51563148
You need to be 18 or older to post on 4chan.
>>
>>51563048

I enjoy making games. It sometimes feels like suicide is the best solution to some problems when making games, but overall it's fun. Also want to go into game development if possible, but I'm fine with doing other shit with programming. I just find it fun and would rather get a job in what I feel is the most fun programming.
>>
>>51562870
so what should i study to become a programmer
>>
I say its your own damn fault
>dont know what X is
>school never taught you what X is
>therefore school is useless for practical purposes
>and you somehow wasted your time or money by going to school and not learning what X is

instead of just nutting up and learning what X is, you are choosing to whine about it to a bunch of strangers
>>
>>51561776
Not the uni's fault you're too autistic to network. Uni is the best thing that could have happened to me because I got to meet like minded people and shape my ideas and skills while learning my craft. Autists and weebs need not apply.
>>
>>51563260
The worst part is that he got a degree in Y instead of a degree in X in the first place, and then decided to go beyond that and get a PhD even though he supposedly must know what X is when he graduates in X.
>>
>>51563256

Study programming. Internet is the place to go or used programming books. You can still go into cs but you'd have to learn programming on the side.
>>
>>51561776
>getting anything higher than undergrad in CS
The point of the degree is to prove you're worth at least half a shit without needing an extensive portfolio. After that it's all practical application of skills that you should get as experience. Learning how a CPU works isn't going to help you with shit.

Enjoy those 2 extra degrees.
>>
>>51563333
>>51563333
nice fucking quads

i have been learning programming on the side, and was thinking of doing the cs just cause hurr i got a degree.

how hard is it to land a programming job without a degree vs with one.
>>
>>51563333
The quads will set you free.
>>
>>51562008
>Anyone can pick up code-monkey skills
You'd be surprised how wrong you are.
>>
You'd think that by the time you were looking into getting your PHD in CS you would have figured out that CS is neither programming nor software development

>meanwhile dude who entered workforce right after high school, instead of holding off another 8 years for a PHD, has a head start on you

as if you didnt see this coming while sitting on your ass studying for that PHD
>>
>>51563401

If you look at job requirements they ask for a degree or equivalent experience. That just means if you are a decent programmer you can get the job. Making some games helps or joining some open source projects works too. Op even said it, there are highschool drop outs in higher positions than him. The current world mostly revolves around actions rather than what you say you can do. If you can create some decent AI or make a game in unity or unreal that shows you can learn and apply those skills.
>>
>>51562855
>working your first job at a soul crushing fortune 500 when there are smaller companies that will pay you nearly as well ( of course not as high but still competitive) without 80 hour work weeks.

Honestly I don't want to go anywhere near a publicly traded company until I've got a decade of experience and I can lord my way into upper management where I can pretend to work while earning too much money.
>>
>>51563256
Do a coding boot camp. These exist for the very purpose of teaching people to become programmers so that they can get jobs as a programmer. Or you can do a formal software engineering degree.
>>
>>51563393
>getting anything less than a MSc in an academic field
Don't make me laugh, I don't want to wake up the neighbors.
>>
>>51563287
This right here. Uni is decent for learning. I only learned the basics of programming while in school. But what I did get was a huge network of other CS majors that are now all working careers similar to me in tons of other companies. If anything ever goes wrong with my current job, I just hit up one of my buddies and get a good word in with the hiring staff before I even send my resume in. Code Academy can't help you make professional networks.
>>
>>51563601

Vocational schools also help. Currently going to one. 2 years with longer school years. 5 campuses worldwide and Microsoft hiring grads instantly for hololens and Sony starting to work with our school.
>>
>>51563401
Virtually impossible without a degree (unless you have connections or are the lead developer on a major (10k+ users) project), trivial with a degree (90%+ placement rate in the US on average).
>>
>>51563502
really at the moment the only things i have worked with are python, html5, and c++. other than a couple brute force programs and some applied knowledge games I havent really written much
>>51563601
any recommendations on a boot camp?
>>
>>51563697

Code academy isn't bad. C++ no matter who tells you its shit, is one of the most used languages and I think the most used. Java is also a very popular language so learning that would be good.
>>
>>51563633
/thread
go talk to people instead of spending time on /g/ you meganerd
>>
File: watervapor.gif (32KB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
watervapor.gif
32KB, 300x290px
>>51562156
more people need to realize this.
>>
OP is that faggot from Denmark who dropped out. Reading the shit he wrote, there is no way he's got a PhD in Computer Science.

Upload a screenshot of your diploma with a timestamp, you can blurr out your name.
>>
>>51563393
>Learning how a CPU works isn't going to help you with shit.
are you for real or just retarded?
>>
You will never be a good coder without proper knowledge in math and theoretical computer science. You as a doctorate should know that and you should know why but obviously you're a dropout and trying to get approval from fellow dropouts and sugarcoat your shitty decision of dropping out. Be honest with yourself and stop trying to talk down academic degrees because at the end, you failed.
>>
>>51564087
>this mad
Are you trying to compensate for something, buddy?
The only thing theoretical math and computer science is good for is theoretical math and computer science.
In the extremely rare instances where this is not true, it wouldn't be OP's dumb self making any money on it.
>>
>>51564216
>Are you trying to compensate for something, buddy?
I think compensating is the wrong term. I'm just looking down on you, just like a doctor looks down on a nurse because the couldn't cut it for med school.
>>
>>51564282
Doctors might look down on nurses, but not for any legitimate logical reason. Doctors have no social skills, are generally incapable of kindness due to whatever form of autism allows them to study without stop for 12 years, and will be stuck with crippling debt until they're about to retire.

And to top it off, the vast majority of MDs have absolutely no business sense and always crowd into rich cities and neighborhoods such that supply severely outstripes demand
>>
>>51564356
>Doctors have no social skills, are generally incapable of kindness due to whatever form of autism allows them to study without stop for 12 years, and will be stuck with crippling debt until they're about to retire.
Even though I'm not studying medicine, I have friends who do and they're just as lazy and social as any other student. You should go out for a change..

Besides, I'm not living in a shit country where I have to pay money for university, in fact I even got payed for it. I only had benefits from studying. I only had benefits from studying.
>>
>>51562508
>Got one internship then graduated and have another internship

These are at least paid internships, right? Why the fuck would you work for free?
>>
>>51564216
Are you seriously stating that math and computer science has no value for a programmer? Why don't you try making some software that actually does anything other than interacting with some database and providing GUI.

> Deep learning
> Genetic Algorithms
> Dynamic Programming
> Linear Algebra
> Discrete Mathematics
> Computer Architecture

y all those things are irrelevant lmaoooo
>>
>>51564666
Genetic programming has not seen even remote use for the past 40 years. It's garbage. It is LITERALLY irrelevant. I honestly believe it's impossible to find something less relevant in CS than genetic programming if you tried.
>>
>>51564666
I'm just asking myself how desperate one has to be to make up a story to be a doctorate in CS and try to convince people that studying CS/CE or whatever is useless to make himself feel better.
>>
Are you guys retarded? The more "prestigious" the university, the less likely they are to teach you immediately useful real world skills. Harvard CS students will be doing complexity theory, 6 semesters of math, obscure data structures etc. Party state university students during that time will be learning to use git, IDEs, real world stuff.
>>
>>51564666
While I understand your point,
>interacting with some database and providing a GUI
Is like 95% of all programming jobs.
Theory is useful for a very small part of the actual world of software development. I say this as someone who worked in a graduate computer science lab and assisted in publishing several papers.
>>
>>51564775
>waah math is too hard for me!
>>
>>51564719
You are full of shit. It's used in:

> Optimizing weights for neural networks
> Approximation of NP-hard problems
> Generating behaviour of robots (such as walking)

just to name a few
>>
You know actually there is nothing wrong about not being an academic or being a dropout as long as the person gives an honest reason. I mean if someone doesn't want to give up his free time for sitting in front of books, that's a plausible and above all honest reason. There's nothing wrong about that. But if some faggot shows up and claims shit like the stuff you learn at university is useless or doesn't raise your chances of a well paid job it starts getting ridiculous because it's obvious that all the person tries is to justify his/her failure. Mostly it's dropouts who talk like that and not people who did decide not to study in the first place because they were honest with themselves.
>>
>>51564806
95% is just some number you pull out of your ass. Give me your top 5 used applications and make an argument that neither makes use of some underlying theory (eg Spotify, Adobe Reader, Photoshop, Google Chrome, or whatever you like).
>>
>>51562008
Made it through one year of college before I got picked up as a developer. Starting at 90k with lots of room to grow. For talented programmers work is easy to come by.
>>
>>51564977
Really? Even with all of India, you try to call 95% a hyperbole?

Just shut up, retard.
>>
>>51564818
>I have so little idea of what I'm talking about that a chimpanzee would be more right than me
>>
Any advice towards getting a great internship? What should the Uni roadmap be, and how much should I negotiate? (in 2nd year currently)
>>
>>51563649
> hurr fucking durr
Tones of non-degrees have goddamn programming jobs. There's fucking tier 3 site-reliability engineers at Google making 300k that didn't step foot on a college campus before.
>>
>>51565564
How do you get to this point?
>>
>>51565578
Good paying programming jobs are much more about the ability to solve problems and intuitively understanding how to solve those problems with actual code implementation. A lot of shit you learn in getting a degree is just that; some people don't need that. I was coding since I downloaded my first AOL punter and was like 9, and so grew up with coding ingrained. Some people can learn as adults too, but it is harder, which is why you might need to get the degree if you didn't start young.
>>
>>51565665
What I meant was I downloaded a punter and had to make my own (Havoc shit rocked though, fucking Master of Puppets in the splash screen at one point). Getting a cracked version of VB in the 90's was not fucking easy though, lol.
>>
>>51565665
I did start young, I'm just in the position (at least, now) where I didn't even know these positions or industries existed. I always programmed for fun when I was young so a lot of the probably solving comes intuitively, I just am having trouble finding my place in the 'real world' so to speak
>>
>>51565564
All of which were 200/10 connected, but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night, I'm sure you'll find a job too someday Timmy.
>>
>>51565733
I'm a professional developer, dip-wad. Seriously, if you **actually** work in this industry, you'll know at least a few really skilled programmers who haven't been to college, or did but didn't get a degree related to programming at all.

>>51565693
It is hard without connection; honestly, do your best to get an internship, or start by offering to do work pro-bono for local charities and 501(c)'s. Then the best way is to brush up your resume with that work, and let the recruiters do some work for you. Family member makes trinkets? Make them a website to sell those trinkets. Shit like that.
>>
>>51565803
You must be 18 or older to post on 4chan.
>>
>>51565803
okay so I cant say that I started young but I am 21 almost 22 in 19 days. I wrote my first program at 16 in c++ with the help of visual studios, took all the IT classes my high school
can do basic java html and python, and some program called Alice taught me a bunch of code which i assume was pointless
>basically asking what I should do from here?
>>
>>51565879
You're a nuclear-level retard and I won't be responding to you again; I was just trying to give someone some advice. Have a NEET life.

>>51565947
Focus, dude. You have to be proficient in a few technologies to get jobs. And if you're looking at being a software dev and not a webdev, still make yourself a website, and start making some freeware. Make simple games, tools you wish you had in your environment that no one seems to distribute. Also add all those project to a github account.
>>
>>51565998
okay that makes sense would it be worth while to go get some sort of cs degree or should i just bang this shit out my self and hope for the best?
>>
>complete phd in CS
>I must be super good at everything computer
at my Uni programming is just a small part of CS
>>
>>51565998
and as in make myself a website do you mean just code one out or make one and keep it live and running? because i have scripted out multiple website in high school
>>
>>51564421
Internships in most fields are paid you idiot
>>
>>51566061
It's the hardest call in this day and age. The debt can be crippling if you don't get the grants and scholarships, but you do have a much better shot at jobs with the degree. You can make it without one but you really have to be good to get in the door. I've met degreed developers who just aren't built to write code, but I've also met ones that fucking smoke me in skill.

You need it live in the wild; don't know if you have any moneys/resources, but register a domain (www.yourname.com or something) and put a blog on it, recording your experience learning on your own and coding your own software. Use it to distribute your softeware. It's seriously one big weird part about the industry; having some publicly displayable works that manifest as a portfolio will get you in to interviews.
>>
File: laughingduck.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
laughingduck.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>51566118
>>51564421
>unpaid internships
Must be eurotrash
>>
>>51563148
Doesn't every 12 year want to make games? Stop dick measuring to nearest millimeter.
>>
>>51566167
>already 32k in dept for school
i was just thinking about going and finishing up a 2 year degree in CS and trying to land a job then go back and finish that bitch up if anything.

Yeah id have to get some more cash flow going to get a site up and keep it live for any extended period of time.
>>
It is not possible for universities to teach you all of the things you will need to know in software development. They can teach some practical knowledge, but specific technologies (i.e. a LAMP stack, or Rails, or what have you) are a waste of time, because it is entirely possible that your knowledge will be useless by the time you get the degree. It is best to focus on theory, architecture, and general knowledge that will be necessary to learn more. In other words, you should have a lot of knowledge right now to give you better context behind all of the server technologies you're using right now when you read the documentation.

By the way, if you have a PhD, you should be doing research, not simply doing web programming.

Also, git can be learned in a day or so. Git gud.
>>
>>51566167
any benefit in downloading lunix and learning to run it?
>>
>>51566261
Ermm, that question seems kinda like bait. Unless you plan on very OS specific products (like you want to make stuff for Windows only), you should get familiar with the big three. I use all three at work; I have a windows box with two screens, sitting next to my iMac; both machines have terminals SSH'ed into my application and development servers at all times, which run a variety of Linux flavors. If you're doing webdev, linux administration basics and server deployment is almost always a must.
>>
>>51566328
Wasn't bait I've just been looking for a reason to learn Linux, should I start out on Ubuntu?
Yeah I guess that makes the most sense. Although I'm going to stay away from hackintosh for as long as possible
>>
>>51566439
Ubuntu is fine, ignore the sperglords here on /g/. You don't need to be a master of installing Linux, just be comfortable using the CLI with tools like git and grep and so on, and things like how to restart your web serving agents, search code and understand basic bash scripts.

And unless you are going to be looking at a non-tech based company job (companies with 100+ employees usually need at least one programmer/administrator to handle their internal applications, even if they just sell desks or clean houses), you should get comfortable with OS X. I don't care for Apple myself, but it's becoming an industry standard tool for a lot of developers. My current job offered to buy me a mac to use with my windows boxes or just use the windows boxes; I knew what answer they wanted (get the mac).
>>
>>51566544
not op or linux masterlord. what do people use grep for? i usually just use it with help commands to search or with documents.
>>
>>51566616
any time you need to filter through a large amount of lines of output for something specific
>>
>>51566544
Can you just install OS X like you would with Linux or do i got to go out and splurge on a Crapple desktop?
>>
>PhD student in CS
>never used git
the fuck? m8 I'm doing one in an engineering field and that was one of the first things I learned.

you did this to yourself
>>
>>51566616
I use 'grep -nr . -e "variable name to search for"' all the time when I'm detectiving a code path with a bug in it. Basically lets me search recursively into a project path for all text lines that contain a variable name. In linux you can pipe outputs together, for example, "ls" lists files in your current path. You could do something like 'ls | grep "my_directory"' and it would only show one line, the one that contains "my_directory" in that line. I'm actually a super Linux retard, but you still need to know some of this stuff for many developer jobs.

>>51566653
Last I checked, you can download (albeit illegally) VMWare images of really recent OS X releases. That's one way to avoid splurging on an Apple box.

Honestly, if you get used to Linux, you already know most of the 'developer' knowledge you'll need for OS X, 'cause it's based on unix, and has very similar CLI tools to any Linux distributions.
>>
File: Hedy-Lamarr-4.jpg (111KB, 751x674px) Image search: [Google]
Hedy-Lamarr-4.jpg
111KB, 751x674px
>>51562378
I have never heard of a degree in programming
>le degree prestige
enjoy forever being below middle management
>>51564666
someone gets it
>>51564719
>>51565371
>what is AI/ML?
>>51566244
/thread
>>
>>51565947
Learn swift, get relation in this field, post some well designed code in github, get a job
>>
>>51562855
This was thread was interview 12 James. I regret to inform you that you were not among the best candidates. Please return your intern scooter and parking pass before Friday.
>>
>>51566822
what the fuck does the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication have to do with anything?
>>
>>51566747
roger that become Linux edgelord and stay away from crapple
>>
>>51566086
Being an expert programmer in CS is like being a master calculator user in math.
>>
>>51566785
>genetic programming
>used anytime in the past 40 years in AI
>ML
>using anything even remotely related to genetic programming even when it started almost 60 years ago
Only on /g/ can such ridiculously ignorant statements be uttered with pride and confidence.
>>
>>51567048
Not necessarily stay away from crapple, because as a developer you will work with designers, who unilaterally design on a crapple. So you will have to be used to them using it, and sometimes not knowing how to interact with your own tooling in the development path.

It can suck at times, but being the sociable developer who works well with the most people is a great way to get noticed and promoted. Only the super-super auties who are coding and problem solving wrecking balls get easy promotions; you gotta be able to work with people and be liked to move up, in general. Being a breddy good developer but a crappy office mate will often hold you back.
>>
>>51567197
Copy that.

Thanks for all the advice anon
>>
>>51561776
that's because a PhD is above codemonkey bullshit. you're in the wrong position
>>
>>51567257
NP anons.

P.S. : I don't have a college degree, but I'm a pretty damn successful programmer. Everyone's path is different, but I'm relaying info from my experience combined with the experience of many friends who are also professionals; but a mixed bag of CS/IT degreed people and non-degree people. If you know any friends or family members in the business, make some sacrifices to buddy up with them. I actually did it on my own and only later found it it would've have been way easier to chum-up to some friends who already have developer jobs.
>>
bumping before death
>>
>>51561776
>PhD in anything
>not going into R&D
butthurt gradschool dropout or troll

you should not be doing a doctorate in anything unless you want to do RESEARCH nigger
>>
>>51561776
Your problem isn't a wasted education, OP.
You're just a fucking moron.

A formal CS education is all about theory and the intersection of theory and practice. The first two years of a Bach or even self-learning is enough to achieve something as a pleb code-monkey, but it's a far jump from bending over for APIs to actually advancing the capacities of the field.

No doubt your PhD program sucks, but you clearly failed to supplement it. You're not living in some walled garden you stupid fuck. Go online and learn the practical stuff if you're really that butthurt about it.

I'd also say grow up, but clearly it's too late.
>>
sucks to suck N E R D
>>
>>51565564
Google Intern from earlier here, I was actually on an SRE team.
My boss literally had a degree in economics but did all of this CS shit on the side, and that's how he got hired.
So yeah, college is pretty pointless.
>>51565733
I wasn't at all connected. I literally volunteered to do pro bono work, ended up making a system that gets used by hundreds. That's what got me my internship.
>>
>>51562508
graduate and get an internship you goofed
i have a job offer for when i graduate because of my previous internship
>>
>>51561776
>>>don't know what git is

If you don't know what anything is
>>Because you didn't learn it in your fancy school
then just go the fuck ahead and teach it yourself.
The internet is full of resources, whether you watch shitty YouTube videos or just read up on the topic, you can always teach it yourself.
>>
>>51562156
>Not going to college under a burner identity for fun and profit

He may be dumb, but you manage to be even dumber sucker.
>>
>25
>started coding in HS
>drop out of uni
>work in casino for 3 years
>quit job, decide to go back to school to finish degree

how fucked am I /g/?

better question: what kind of part time coding work should I look for while doing school full time?
>>
>>51561776
>do CS
>get SE job
gg no re
>>
>>51563542
Wasn't my first job. Worked at a few small web dev places.
Even if I don't end up working full time here, I can still easily interview at smaller companies.
>>
Instead of a circle jerk can we get some self-guiding advice? What to learn besides Discrete, Data Structors, and Algos? Suggested projects or languages to emphasize in? Actively going to Uni but we could all use a little bit of structure to our side learning.
>>
I find it weird that some universities does not enforce practical assignments.
I do group work all the time at my university and git is absolutely necessary for us to collaborate.
I have seen people with a bachelor in electronics come over to our lab and have no clue on how to operate an oscilloscope. What is the point of studying if you don't actively seek out how things are done in your field?
You don't need a course in everything that is useful. Did you have a course on how to write a thesis? How to turn the computer on? How to write C?
This stuff should be so obvious to you that a course on it is unnecessary.
>>
The problem is,
you applied for a job that requires a Bachelors Degree, with your PhD.
There are a shit-ton of applications for all the advanced shit you learn during your masters/your doctorate,
but you chose a field where it is meaningless, since the complicated shit you use has been written by someone else already.
And even then your "stack" is probably sub-optimal at best, since your company chose baby-tier software so that Idiots can understand what is happening.
>>
If I'm not at all talented, and only average intelligence, but really really stubborn and willing to nolife my studies , do you think I can make it in CS/E, /g/?
>>
>>51570089
Actually, I would say you were made for CS.
>>
>>51570089
If you have grit and tenacity you will succeed at whatever you do, just be aware that it won't come immediately and will take constant work. Don't aim for mediocrity, try to be the best at whatever you can (even if you aren't, let it be your goal). Finally, as the saying goes, "If you're the best one in the room, you're in the wrong room"
>>
>>51563393
>Learning how a CPU works isn't going to help you with shit.
Self-taught detected.
>>
>>51570089
btw, check out the books and advice on the /sci/ resource site https://sites.google.com/site/scienceandmathguide/subjects/computer-science
>>
>>51569991
Languages are irrelevant mostly ( I would recommend Haskell though, because it takes you the furthest ).
As for projects, just do something you think you could either need, or something you think would be fun.
Recommending specific projects is difficult since I don't know your skill level.
But maybe try making Conways Game of Life with a GUI where you can draw cells and set up the field size (maybe even make it 3d),
or basic neural net applications can be quite simple too: https://karpathy.github.io/neuralnets/,
Write some web-app/service for something you would like to use remotely,
build some robots.
Seriously, if you don't know what to do, just use your imagination!
Just learn as you go along.

>>51570089
Yes, definitely.
You may get frustrated a little by those of us who have it in their blood/brain though.
>>
>>51570193
What would you (or someone else, since late reply) recommend is great about haskell? Just started learning it a little while ago-- I think it's a beautiful language but what is actually practical about it?
>>
>>51561776

Hey OP can you help me with my CS homework then if your an academic?

I have to either write a regex to match anything in the infinite string:

Or prove that it's not a reg language, I can't get anywhere writing a regex that would allow you to start on any digit and end on any digit, only something like (345)* sort of works anything other than that is so loose that it can allow the same character back to back. So am I to believe this is not a reg lang and just use the pumping lemma on it?
>>
>>51570802
>what is actually practical about it?
The great Type-System:
Most errors will be caught by it when compiling, meaning the time you spend debugging and fixing errors is much less than in most languages.
Plus it's a superpowerful way of abstracting concepts, in a manner where just reading the type of a function can tell you a ton about it.
A seriously underrated concept.

Parallel Computing:
Through immutability and other Concepts in FP, handling and understanding massively parallel systems becomes much easier, and less error prone.
Where you may have to fight with locks and mutexes in nonFunctional Languages, different abstractions like STM or channels provide a better programming experience,
reduce complexity, and heighten performance. Together with the "green Threads" Haskell employs, this results in top notch performance.

Libraries:
For a lot of things Haskell has pretty good Libraries nowadays.

GHC:
GHC is a really good compiler and results in really fast native code.

But not everything is good:
It's hard to learn (still worth it I think),
reading a large amount of Data can become problematic (at least if you don't really understand what is happening)

These are just a few examples.
>>
>>51570938
(345)+, though (345)* also works
>>
>>51571011
Thank you for the well thought out and descriptive reply. And recommended books or resources for getting deep into Haskell and/or Functional Programing? Currently doing the LearnYouAHaskell.com to get the basics of the language down. Are there any basic projects you'd recommend for getting the hang of Haskell/FP in general?
>>
>>51571042

(345)* or + wouldn't allow for 53453 though which is part of the infinite string, that's the problem I'm having with the question.
>>
>>51562156
>Tens of thousands of dollars
Europe here, laughing at you problems.
t. Law student
>>
>>51571049
Work through Real World Haskell.
You can find it for free on the internet.
Otherwise just program whatever you want to.
Anything should be doable, even embedded Systems nowadays.
>>
>>51571011
>>51571088
Thanks! ^Sweet double dubs btw
>>
>>51561776
nigger I'm studying in fucking Spain and they taught us what git was in second year, you have no excuse
>>
Finance graduate here. We don't have this problem. Can work in any field or industry, our work is universal in nature.
>>
>>51570938
[34] | 34 | 4?5(345)*(3 | 34)?

pretty sure this covers everything, I'm sure it's not very elegant though
>>
>>51571349
3?4? | 4?5(345)*(3 | 34)? is slightly smaller
>>
>>51571316
CS grads can work in any Field too.
OP is just too dumb to read Documentation apparently.
>>
>>51565301
> Making up statistics
> Completely avoids answering the question

>>51565371
I meant Evolutionary Algorithms, not GAs. I tend to mix the two together. Sorry about that. Everything I said applies to EAs though.
>>
i'm a phd student in CS at one of the top 5 universities in the world. this OP sounds like a retard to me even though i'm drunk right now.

I've never met a CS PhD student who thought that the PhD program would qualify them to do software development or engineering. if anything, I'm pretty sure the running joke here is that people that do PhD programs put themselves in this uncanny valley where they're not good at management despite the 5+ years they've done as post-grads, but they're overqualified to take entry level dev jobs.

The fact is that a PhD program trains you to do research. That's fundamentally different from an undergrad program in the same field (whether it's CS or anything else). Everyone in their respective program learns that quickly, certainly before they earn their PhD, and probably before they finish their first or second year.

That being said, I don't understand how you don't know what git or any of this other stuff is. My undergrad was in anthropology and I knew about that stuff before starting my PhD program.
>>
>>51572709
Evolutionary algorithms are no more used for anything than GAs (which are a class thereof) because they've been altogether abandoned over 40 years ago. Holy fucking fuck, if you don't know how to breathe day-to-day, don't talk about proper running techniques. Fuck.
>>
>>51573096
20/10 if trolling, -500/10 if retarded.
>>
>>51566244
/thread
>>
>>51572850
>>51573150
I dont get why you are so mad. EA's is used in modern industry. PSOs is used in modern industry... deal with it
>>
>>51561776
Just do some projects on your own, holy shit, OP!

I wish I studied CS, but I studied something else and learned programming in my free time. That way I learned how to get shit done, but I often find myself researching basic things like data structures, algorithms and common programming practices, because I want to do things the right and more efficient way.
I see a lot of /g/entoomen are hating on their diplomas and I can see why they think they got scammed (especially when I see Murrica's scholarship costs and student loansharking business), but at least you gained the right theoretical foundation and you weren't learning in isolation until employment, so make use of it now.
>>
>>51573275
Are you a time traveler from 1950? If not, kill yourself for being clinically retarded.
>>
>>51562008
>not so much when it comes to oil and mineral prospection using seismic, gravimetric, magnetic, electrotelluric and various other methods.
Hate to break it to you, but we're going to replace you with expert systems in a few years. Written by code monkeys, as you put it.
>>
>>51573401
oh fuck you've figured out my ruse. yes i'm a time traveler from 1952. sorry, i'll return to my era.
>>
>>51573401
> Car-industry
> Logistics
> Bioinformatics
> Economics
> 2015
> etcetcetc
>>
>don't know what git is
>don't know anything about server deployment

Many people who studied CS are in the same situation. They can code, but don't know shit about computers or software.

It's because they don't like their job and don't care about being good at it. Most likely their mom asked them to go study CS.

Otherwise they would have picked up at least version control on their own.
>>
>>51562855
getting a Google internship is surprisingly easy once you get past that first resume screen

try to get an internship at Dropbox/Twitter/Jane Street and then we're talking, mate.
>>
>>51573595
None of which even remotely, by any stretch of the imagination, use anything even foreignly related to EA.
>>
>>51561776

>tinker with linux in highschool quite a bit
>do engineer degree in CS
>I learned a bit but meh
>start as windows helpdesk
>learn more and more about windows servers
>start managing our small server room
>do more and more automation
>start getting bored
>leave and become a solaris/oracle sysadmin
>never used unix, just linux
>"what the fuck is this shit?"
>learn at light speed because I have strong fundamentals
>leave, become a contractor for ETL projects
>oh god I'm horrible with databases
>learn more again
>do development for data validation software
>become good at it
>get scouted by a startup
>FINALLY a full flaged linux sysadmin
>responsible for whole stack
>SO FUN
>get bored after a year
>get scouted by amazon
>building of automations and sysadmining on large scale
>fun again

Yeah, I think CS degree gave me a strong base on which I could build my knowledge of pretty much any field.
>>
>>51574161
Not true. See wikipage List_of_genetic_algorithm_applications and sources listed. Volvo uses PSO for optimizing car breaking systems within trucks. Some software used in RNA structure prediction uses GAs (this I found on internet and doesn't know from real life experience). For different types of neural networks where backpropagation isnt suitable, GAs are used instead. I am honestly curious in understanding what you would gain from neglecting the usage of GAs (or EAs in general, and anything foreignly related such as PSOs or ACOs or even neural nets) in modern software?
>>
>>51574797
It will always be mind-blowing to me that people who seemingly aren't smart enough to breathe on their own manage to find 4chan, solve the captcha, and then post the most retarded possible posts conceivable that somehow still make sense semantically while believing they're expert in fields they have not even heard about.
>>
>>51575118
> being this mad
> doesn't reply to presented arguments

Are you trying to convince me or are you just being an edgy teenager? For sake of honesty I will reply if you have anything sensible to say.
>>
>>51575629
Why would anyone sane try to convince someone with a single-digit IQ of anything?
>>
>>51571079
>>51570938
(3(453)*(4 or 45 or ϵ)) or (4(534)*(5 or 53 or ϵ)) or (5(345)* (3 or 34 or ϵ))

That seems to work. Kinda ugly though.
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.