[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heaters are tech right, What's a good bang for buck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

Heaters are tech right, What's a good bang for buck room heater anon
>>
A used GTX 480 would heat up your room. Although not recommended if your room is small, unless you have some unbaked dough lying around.
>>
GTX 480.
>>
I use a 2kw convection heater with two switches, one for a fan and a second just for a convection heating element, not sure how much power either switch uses individually but it gets the job done

wanted something immediate so I didn't opt for an oil heater

>>51554393

make sure to remove anything flammable from the room, however
>>
>>51554378
Whatever's cheapest per watt. Literally all they do is turn electricity into heat. The power they use is directly proportional to the heat they put out.
>>
>>51554418
So a GTX 480 then senpai.
>>
>>51554610
>room heater
Probably can't find one as cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/OceanAire-HFQ15A-Warmwave-Electric-Portable/dp/B006NVV5AY/ref=sr_1_172?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1448629983&sr=1-172&refinements=p_36%3A1253523011
>>
buy any AMD gpu I hear they heat up the room pretty gud
>>
>>51554401
I've been thinking about this
how do the physics work with computers?
Aren't computers literally efficient electricity -> heat converters. What else do they turn the enegry to?
Wouldn't it be cheapest option to heat your house with ton of old computers that do bitcoin mining if you're going to heat with electricity anyway?
>>
>>51554717
Nah computers just dont put out that much heat compared to an actual heating element.
>>
>>51554931
You can definitely put together a computer (or rack of them) that'll pop a breaker. The issue is that, if you're redoing your heating system, it would almost certainly be better to put in heat pumps than change out to a slightly more useful resistive element like a computer.
>>
>>51554717
>What else do they turn the enegry to?
Nothing. Conservation of energy. Energy in, heat out.

Any electric device that takes X energy gives off X heat. Yes, including air conditioners.
>>
>>51554378
they're pretty much all the same, just make sure it has a tip-over shut off function.

1500 watts is 1500 watts when it comes to making heat.
>>
>>51556384

Pretty much this OP. All electric heaters/space heaters use 1500w. For quick heating a space heater works good but not as good for long periods a radiator type heater works best for permanente electric heater but they can tip over so make sure to secure it.

If we are talking bang for the buck, propane and propane accessories are your friend, get a portable Mr Heater, get a conversion hose and a propane tank, don't forget the carbon monoxide alarm and fire alarm. Whole setup might run $200 but its cheaper to run than electric and heats up better.
>>
>>51554378
HD 6990
>>
Radiant heaters work best if you actually need heat.
>>
>>51555165
Well, I wouldn't say ALL the energy goes to heat. Changing bits takes energy as well.
>>
>>51556384
yup this right here. I just picked up a 1500w for like $50 on amazon last week. It does the oscillate thing which is nice I guess.

1500w is as powerful as they get for regular consumer use.
>>
>>51557173
I've had this discussion before and the amount of energy that actually goes to changing bits is unmeasurably small, and only there theoretically.
>>
>>51557228
>1500w is as powerful as they get for regular consumer use.
is 1500w too hot, will i burn in my sleep, can you link to the heater you bought
>>
>>51554378

2 things matter:

1. Type of heating: (free convection, forced convection, radiation)

2. Total emitted power

I'd get the most powerful free convection one for the buck. Having an optional fan is nice.
Remember that these things are a big fire hazard.
Once I dropped one of these and 2 sec later there was a shitload of smoke already.

Check if it has any safety features.
Always place them steady on solid ground.
>>
>>51557523
>1. Type of heating: (free convection, forced convection, radiation)
what kind of safety features am i looking for anon i don't want to die in my sleep
>>
File: 61TEv6Zet6L._SL1500_.jpg (58KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
61TEv6Zet6L._SL1500_.jpg
58KB, 1500x1500px
>>51554378
I use a De'Longhi Vento V550715 and it works great, oil is so much better than those fan driven heaters when you live in an actual cold climate.
>>
>>51557618
A thermal cut off for a start. Place it in a ventilated place away from flammable items. Don't leave it on unattended.

Oil filled heaters are generally safer than those which rely on a fan to prevent overheating.
>>
>>51558096

this is correct.
Also make sure any extension cabling/adaptop is rated for the power and is away for anything flammable (including piles of clothes, curtains etc)

In general you'll be ok if you don't do something stupid.
>>
Rumor has it that the Planck temperature is achievable by running a 9590 on nothing but air.
>>
>>51558192
>make sure any extension cabling/adaptop is rated for the power

If you live in a country with unfused plugs then you should ideally avoid extension cords for heavy loads like heaters, especially in 120v land where current draw can be quite high for even moderate loads.
>>
>>51558287
>tfw 220V
>tfw heavy duty Schuko sockets and cable

:^)
>>
>>51558374
>tfw mains voltage is 250v
>iron cored transformers growl and get hot no load
>power company say its under 253v so its within spec
>SMPS love it though
>>
>doesn't have central air
Move out of the ghetto, jesus
>>
>>51558480
Air conditioning is redundant here, its never really warm enough to warrant its use.
>>
>>51558511
The unit in my house has both heat, and AC.
tfw live in a desert climate, so it's both cold and hot
>>
do those heat-dish radiant heaters give off more heat than the ones with the fans blowing the air out or the one like in the OP image?
>>
>>51558526
do they feel like they give off more heat per-watt, I mean
>>
>>51558525
How cold does it get outside for you? Here we are talking about below freezing for weeks at a time and summer highs are only around 20c most of the time.
>>
>>51558656
It'll tap freezing, but it'll get up to almost 50C in the summer. Again, desert climate.
>>
>>51558555
The ones with reflectors like OPs image? If so they give an instantaneous feeling of warmth when pointed in your direction but once its turned off its back to being cold.

Oil filled heaters take warmer to heat up but they are better for heating the whole room and will actually hold onto some of the heat when turned off so its more of a gradual let down rather than instantaneous.
>>
>>51558695
Those oil filled radiator heaters
>>
>>51558689
Goodness I'd die in that heat. What are deserts like? Do they suddenly go cold once the sun sets?
>>
>>51558706
>unintentional quote
>>
>>51558695
dosen't that mean they also take longer to heat up compared to the fan kind since it has to heat up all that oil, how long does it take to heat up a medium sized room
>>
>>51558725
Not really. This year, the nights were still hovering around 30C, give or take a few degrees, even though the sun had set.
>>
>>51558759
>Not really. This year, the nights were still hovering around 30C, give or take a few degrees, even though the sun had set.
that's hot, you don't even need a heater
>>
>>51557878
I second this for Pittsburgh. Doesn't matter which model you buy. They all put out the same amount of heat. Just pick up the cheapest one from Home Depot or Lowes.
>>
>>51558786
does this look good anon

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cuori-1500-Watt-Electric-Oil-Filled-Radiant-Portable-Heater-Grey-HD904-A7Q/205210318
>>
>>51558706
>>51558729
I've got both types and prefer the oil filled heater to the fan type if used inside.

It takes mine about 20 minutes to heat my small bedroom on the lowest power setting (700w) but it continues to release heat well after its been unplugged.

Fan heaters are more personal whilst oil are for keeping a steady room temperature.
>>
>>51557878

Same. Oil gives off bonus radiant heat and good air quality.
Convectors burn up dust particles and have a mildly irritating smell.
>>
>>51558776
You must've not seen my prior post, but it'll dip to around, or at freezing. You bet your ass I need a heater.
>>
File: oscillating heater.png (184KB, 472x683px) Image search: [Google]
oscillating heater.png
184KB, 472x683px
>>51558695
nah, I mean the parabolic dish heaters like this

it says they are "energy saving" in the title, but I wonder if they do that at the expense of actually providing adequate heat
>>
>>51558838
>Convectors burn up dust particles and have a mildly irritating smell.
I forgot all about this aspect, and I agree 100%. Our fan heater always has a dusty smell when its running.
>>
>>51558852
I had one of those. No idea where it want
It was pretty nice since it added a warm light to the room
>>
File: 61Hq9XUZ6wL._SL1500_.jpg (54KB, 679x1500px) Image search: [Google]
61Hq9XUZ6wL._SL1500_.jpg
54KB, 679x1500px
>>51558852
Oh those types, I've never used one sorry. A relative had a similar gas based one for warming the patio and it was pretty good at radiating heat IIRC.
>>
>>51558843
How cold does your house get during winter nights?
>>
>>51558969
Indoors, around 10-15C without a heater on. The insulation isn't that great, or my windows leak.
>>
a gtx 480 was hot for it's time, but a 290x/390x and fury air, and 780ti put out more heat iirc.
>>
>>51558986
That's the average temp in my house for 5 months during winter. You really need a heater for that?
>>
>>51558986
But once the sun comes up doesn't it start naturally warming up again? Here houses can easily drop to near freezing if left unheated for a day or two.
>>
File: HD_346_M.jpg (38KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
HD_346_M.jpg
38KB, 250x250px
I bought this little one to warm my feet up. It's just strong enough for that, and its max power is only 750w so it won't blow out your sockets like those 1500w behemoths.
>>
>not just running two or four 390X in quadfire
>>
>>51554378
Just put on some extra clothes and quite running your parents/legal guardians (even more so a legal guardian since you ain't their real child) electric/gas bill up. Just because they've raised you incorrectly doesn't mean that they should have to be out anymore money on your high maintenance leeching. Kids/manchildren/invalids today have no goddamn respect or responsibility, I swear.
>>
>>51558852
Could I use one to light a joint or cig?
>>
>>51559062
When you're used to much higher temperatures, yes.
>>51559127
It takes some time for it to warm up naturally, at least indoors.
>>
Two GTX 480's paired with a Core i7 930 do the trick for me.
>>
>>51559305
But I already changed all of the light bulbs in the house to LED with my own money, the least they can do is keep me warm.

I even set my computer to sleep after a few hours so plenty of power cost savings.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.