[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steam Machines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: steam-machine.jpg (28KB, 800x408px) Image search: [Google]
steam-machine.jpg
28KB, 800x408px
My thread on /v/ failed, but I never had much hope for those backwards-thinking fucks anyway.

How can I help Valve make Steam Machines popular?
Since current selection of Steam Machines has awful price/performance ratio, would it be good idea to get crowdfounding going for new model of Steam Machine?
If Valvedrones got together, there would probably be enough tech skill to design and build good Steam Machine.

Everywhere when there is a mention of SteamOS / Steam Machines / Steam Link all I see is whining how badly the whole idea of Linux-as-gaming-platform is executed, but nowhere any suggestions or ideas about how to improve current situation.
>>
it needs exclusive titles.
>>
>>51545382
I would not agree, since exclusives are anti-consumer cancer
Yes, some hyped exclusives would boost sales, but platform itself would not be any better because of this, and once hype would fall, consumer backlash would do more harm than good
>>
>>51545511

but it would draw more attention to it. More attention -> more developers -> more improvements.
>>
>>51545322
Give it some direction. Right now it feels like a half PC half console bastard child that has no real reason to exist. PC gamers don't want it because they already have real PCs, and console gamers want something simpler and cheaper. One solution I can think of would be to have just 1 or 2 models instead of over a dozen, and target their marketing efforts towards current console gamers.
>>
>>51545322
You can't as I think it was a good idea to try to boost the pc gaming market moat console owners haven't even heard of steam boxes and the steam os by default right now is pretty shit, not because of linux but because of the shitty layout and poor multitasking in the default non desktop mode.
>>
>>51545322
>How can I help Valve make Steam Machines popular?
you can't. Steam doesn't makes the machines and just create the OS which isn't good yet.
>Since current selection of Steam Machines has awful price/performance ratio, would it be good idea to get crowdfounding going for new model of Steam Machine?
no. Check the Materiel.net machine. It's not that bad in price/performance ratio. But anything that is crowdfounding is retarded.
>but nowhere any suggestions or ideas about how to improve current situation.
here's one suggestion :
nvidia, amd, make good driver.
Devs, can you port your games in openGL instead of using a shitty wrapper ?
>>
>>51545322
>How can I help Valve make Steam Machines popular?
Buy and play games on Linux.

Showing publishers that there's money in porting their Steam titles to Linux is the #1 thing you can do.
>>
>>51545802
doing that already
Still, I don't think that will be enough in long term if Steam Machines don't take off, because % of Linux users on Steam reflects % of global Linux marketshare, which is ~1%
>>
>>51545904
It's a chicken and egg problem and you're the egg
>>
>>51545322
SteamOS is riddled with bugs and shitty drivers. Steam needs to fix them first.
>>
>>51546208
And it will stay that way if someone doesn't kickstart the whole adoption process.
I was hoping that Valve would be doing actively by now, but it seems they lost all interest.
>>
>>51545322
It needs games.

Then Linux has games and there is no reason to ever wangblows.
>>
>>51546563
>implying there are not 1674 games on Linux
>implying thats not more than ps4 and xb1 have together
But yes, I agree that there is not enough of those games that media considers relevant and that have marketing budget behind them
>>
>>51545322

Release HL3 (for free) exclusive to it. All of you will be bitching, but you all know you'll buy one anyway.
>>
>>51546563
Unless your in a dumbass college that doesn't support Linux in the fucking it degree courses....only decent option near me i have though
>>
they can do so by having games actually work instead of constantly crashing (relative to consoles, at least)

i believe that they should've kept this project very closed and unspoken of so that they wouldn't fuck themselves up with valvetime by delivering a terrible product after all that waiting
>>
>>51546795
Nigga seriously there is no reason to keep so many games off Linux
>>
>>51545511
>since exclusives are anti-consumer cancer
Except they aren't you fucking retard. Games used to be 'exclusive' in cartridge and early cd-rom days because they were the only ways to play. They popularized gaming and created the industry that you see today. Whether you like it or not, gaming is a business, and exclusives sell consoles. If it wasn't for Bloodborne, I wouldn't have bought a PS4. It's how the market works, and it is anything but anti-consumer.

The steam box is in purgatory between consoles and PC, which is why it is failing. It's doesn't have the exclusives to garner attention from the console crowd, and PC people will laugh at paying that much when they could build a much more competent entertainment system for the same amount.

It's a stupidly designed pc in console form factor, and misses the mark on so many levels that I'm astounded it got the greenlight from Valve execs. It would have been more profitable to make L4D3.
>>
>>51545322
a stupid concept
Dudebros don't want it because no madden/cod with friends on Xbox live
Supernerds already have a PC
Kids are too stupid to use it right now
The family needs something with Netflix for mom
People interested in steam will quickly find windows is the better option
People interested in console gaming will quickly find the PS4 is a better option
Selling a steam machine is like selling an over priced shitty sports car neither the guy looking for a Honda or the guy looking for the Porsche want it.
>>
>>51545322
a pre-built form factor pc's gpu will be outmoded eventually and then you'll be stuck with it.
And speaking as a former console gamer, the steam machine would have most likely scared me initially and then, after figuring out that its just a pc running Linux, confounded me as to why someone wouldn't just buy or build their own for a better price with better specs.
So basically, no one market can be more than marginally interested in this product.
>>
>>51545322
steam link seems much better than the steam machines for doing pretty much the same thing, they should have just gone with that instead
>>
Literally the only thing stopping steam machines from destroying consoles is the fact that they can't play windows games and therefore can't play the majority of PC games that a gaming PC is meant for.

You want to make steam machines popular? Assist in creating an efficient and reliable hypervisor to play at least 90% of windows games.
>>
>>51545322
>crowd funding for a fucking 3 billion dollar company

you must be kidding.

get fucked
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.