[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: beep.jpg (175KB, 1738x1151px) Image search: [Google]
beep.jpg
175KB, 1738x1151px
I'm studying computer engineering and my current laptop is about the kick the bucket and I could use a replacement.
Can anyone help a brother out?

Some specifications:
Would prefer it to be unix based rather than windows for obvious reasons.
Good build quality and portable. ( wont break if put in a backpack and thrown around )
Size isn't the most important thing. Can work with either big or small.
Won't necessarily be used for gaming but it has to be able to take any program I throw at it with no hiccups.
Longer battery life is a plus as I'll be using it all throughout the day, but I should be close by to outlets a lot.
Lightweight is nice but not required.
SSD would be great, but HDD is okay.
>>
you want your laptop to be unix based?

you know you can change the operating system it comes with right?
>>
>>51543873
Yeah, but if it comes bundled with windows it's going to cost more for a software that's not going to be used much/at all.
>>
>>51543917
Any laptop you buy new will come with windows unless you pay out the ass for a boutique linux model or a macbook.

Just buy a used thinkpad and install whatever linux you like.
I'm using an X200 that cost me only $60 shipped, came with a working battery and I installed debian on it.
Works great.
>>
Buy my loaded t420. I want to get an x230.
>>
Macbook Pro:
Superior battery
Superior screen
Superior build
Superior portablility
Superior performance
Superior custimization
Superior UNIX
Botnet free
and out of the box support for VM and dualboot

Why even bother for anything else?
>>
>>51544038
Yeah I guess you're right.

Recommend any good OS? I've played around a bit ubuntu a few years ago so I'm not entirely new with linux, but I'm not the most experienced either. Willing to put some time into it to learn though.
>>
>>51545124
I would be open to getting a macbook pro, but it is a bit expensive.

If there is a laptop with somewhat equivalent build quality to a macbook pro that's cheaper I'd probably prefer the economical choice.

I do admit that the macbook pro specs look nice though.
>>
>>51545176
Install gentoo
>>
>>51543841
>I'm studying computer engineering
1) Talk to the computer engineering department at your university. See what they recommend.

2) If the department doesn't have any specific recommendations then talk to the college of engineering and see what they recommend.

3) Check with your campus bookstore. And see how their deals/offerings compare to retailers. You should be able to get some good deals as a student from the bookstore.Companies want students to get accustomed using their hardware, so they will offer it to you pretty cheap.

If you are really a computer engineering student then you don't need anything specialized or fancy. Especially as an undergrad. You are already paying lab fees which give you access to hardware needed for CPU intensive tasks. Again, you don't need anything special. You won't be doing anything special as an undergrad.
>Would prefer it to be unix based rather than windows for obvious reasons.
>for obvious reasons.
What planet are you from? =)

>it has to be able to take any program I throw at it with no hiccups.
You aren't going to write any program anytime soon that will cause an average laptop to 'hiccup'.
>>
>>51545124

This OP.
>>
>>51545408
Well yeah editing code and executing the code isn't very intensive, but I like to multitask and don't want the laptop to be slow if I'm running multiple programs or multiple instances of the same program. The most CPU intensive thing that it would be used for on a regular basis would at most be IDE's I'd guess.

Not asking for special fancy laptop, just a solid/decent one.
>>
>>51544082
What does loaded mean?
>>
>>51545408
>buying whatever the university is paid to shill
That sounds like a totally great idea!
>>
>>51543841
Nice copy pasta brah
>>>/google&research/
>>
>>51543841
https://system76.com/laptops/lemur
>>
>>51545176
Try xubuntu. Its easy and comfy as your first distro. If you want, you can always branch out to other distros later!
>>
if you got the money, i use a thinkpad carbon x1 for school and I fucking LOVE it
>>
x230 has been working out really well for me so far. Got it used for $200. Might buy an ssd to toss in it tomorrow, but i've never had any issues with performance or multitasking
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.