[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The new Raspberry Pi Zero

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: Capture.png (87KB, 217x153px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
87KB, 217x153px
This new Pi is freakin' amazing!
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/
>>
>Linux
>ever
They could give it away for free and it wouldn't make a difference
>>
>>51536670
>One more thing: because the only thing better than a $5 computer is a free computer, we are giving away afree Raspberry Pi Zeroon the front of each copy of the December issue of The MagPi,
>>
Is it in direct competition with the $9 computer?
>>
Can someone explain to me why they always say the Pi is a good choice for learning programming? Cant i learn the same shit with a regular pc, or are they saying its good for people who cant afford a pc.
>>
>>51536859
its a cheap separate device that can also manipulate leds and interact with buttons n shit
>>
>>51536780
>giving it away for free
>people still using windows
>PLEASE USE MY OPERATING SYSTEM
Holy shit Linuxfags BTFO
>>
maybe rasberry pi can finally catch up to intel, hmm?

the pi2 could barely hit 300 in google octane bench while intel was hitting 6,000+.
>>
>>51536660
>1 core
can it even amd?
>>
>>>>51536889
>manipulate LEDs
>open and close my bluray disk drive, LEDs flash
>interact with buttons
>a fucking keyboard
Literally useless
>>
Can it actually play Minecraft? That's pretty impressive for such a cheap board.
>>
>>51536780
MagPi is sold out. Fuck.
>>
>>51536970
Running a JVM with enough RAM assigned to make Minecraft look & work well is impossible with only 512MB RAM.
>>
>>51536970
The special pocket version made for the original Pi should work.
>>
>>51536905
>$35 device against $100+ device
>more expensive = faster
Well, yeah.
>>
>>51536660
Fuck this. Tired of buying these fucking things and paying a hundred bucks after it is all over. After cords, shipping, duties (sometimes), case.
>>
How's the power consumption of that board? Less than the first raspi, right?
Also is there any news regarding the OpenGL driver that was supposedly developed for the videocore?
>>
>>51536660
>priced at just $5
>go to store linked in the same article
>13€
>>
>>51537014
A friend and I played together on a Raspberry Pi 1 B and it worked as long as we stayed in the same two chunks that where loaded. Everytime someone changed a chunk it lagged a bit, but still worked great.
Minecraft 1.6.4 and bukkit. We couldn't update because this was the only version that worked without permanent laggs.
>>
>>51536905
Whoah, a $115 device can outperform a $35 device!
Who would've thought?
>>
Is this powerful enough to run rtorrent + apache + rutorrent?
>>
>>51536892
Please stop baiting.
Impressionable 13-year-olds will see your post and follow your opinion.
>>
>>51536660
>tfw when you realize that's a microSD card.
Holy shit that thing is tiny.
>>
File: 1373121843685.jpg (30KB, 340x191px) Image search: [Google]
1373121843685.jpg
30KB, 340x191px
>>51536905
>Intel
>making something worth buying the in the SoC market
>actually selling anything in the SoC market
>ever
The ONE market Intel has to actually compete in and they've been BTFO so hard they aren't even relevant anymore.
>>
>>51536970
Pocket version anon. Some dev boards can do the full on Minecraft (Tegra K1, maybe some high end odroids) but by then you're 2/3 of the cost a full fledged PC anyway.
>>
Can a usb hub or splitter be used if i need more usb ports? Does it have enough juice?
>>
>>51537714
After you've bought the micro USB to USB and USB to ethernet adaptor. You'll also need another micro USB to USB adaptor and mini HDMI to HDMI cable if you want to hook it up to a monitor and keyboard.
>>
>>51537957
Yes, a usb hub can be used. Sometimes you may need power for it.
>>
Just ordered one of these to replace my original RPi model B

I'll have this behind the TV running OSMC, and the old one can be relegated to a fileserver/torrent box.

Can't wait!
>>
>>51536859
It offers basically the same functionality as a normal computer.

Schools are buying dozens of these machines for classes to use, when they are really just slower than the current Windows machines they have (which could virtualize Linux and still have better performance).

They would actually be good for a kid to have in their room as a precursor to a full desktop/laptop. But another problem with the whole 'learn to code' mission is that they function perfectly well as a web browsing machine. There is no imperative for kids to learn to program like there was with the Commodore/BBC Micro back in the 80s. The entire internet is there to draw content from as well as a plethora of quality games.

They are no better at learning to code than any other average computer, they're just cheap and accessible for kids who would otherwise have no computer.
>>
>>51536892
a pi is an operating system?

>>>/v/
>>
>>51536660
Sweet, a 5$ paperweight instead of a 25$ paperweight
>>
>>51537962
>>51537714
Or just buy one of the better models, $35 are still not much for a seedbox
>>
>>51538217
Most schools are using Arduinos though.
>>
>>51537714
rtorrent shouldn't be a problem.
Apache might bog it down though. If it does, you could also try nginx
>>
Anybody tried this yet? OpenGL (not ES) driver) for the rpi GPU
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/VC4/
>>
More crap that will sit in a draw for the next 20 years.
>>
>>51537035
>>51537117
>add case
>add sd card
>add wifi card
>add hdmi cable

Suddenly $60 for a bulky shitty processor.

oooOOweee, rasberry fanboys in full damage control!
>>
>>51538749
And it's still less than half the price.
>>
>>51538749
if you think that the raspberry pi was intended as a desktop replacement, you're a special kind of retarded
>>
File: downie hugs 2 boys.png (696KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
downie hugs 2 boys.png
696KB, 800x600px
>>51538770
But for 20% of the performance and 300% more size

hellllo retard
>>
>>51538964
It also does not support various things that the rpi does
Are you retarded
>>
>>51536660
You sound like a shill op
>>
>>51536660
holy fuck I'm actually exited.

At first I thought it was a joke.
>>
>no Ethernet
kek
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.