[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw always fascinated by the concept of Linux >tfw let

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: 24 KB.jpg (24KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
24 KB.jpg
24KB, 449x401px
>tfw always fascinated by the concept of Linux
>tfw let down time and time again by the reality
>>
>>51530774
instead of being sad, learn to code and make linux your bitch
>>
You are the only separation between concept and reality.
>>
>>51530803
You shouldn't have to be a programmer to use Linux.
>>
>>51530774
>concept of Linux

Dude, that "concept" is unix, linux is just some dodgy norwegians clone of it. Check out a proper unix like OS X, you will be amazed. Unix *is* beautiful.
>>
>>51530860
I don't mean for op to be a programmer to use it, but to become a programmer to fix the things about linux that dissapoint him
>>
>>51530863
I have been studying hackintosh tutorials for my hardware, I'll be trying OS X out for real soon. (already installed to a VM)
>>
>>51530860

Well you dont have to have ascended to the level of programmer, you can scrape by if you're just a sys admin type.
>>
>>51530774
just download any live distro, it's literally free and will take you just a few minutes
>>
>>51530863
>implying OSX is a proper Unix
Tell me that joke about HFS+
>>
>>51530863
This

I would also like to add BSD's to the list, for the more technically minded. They are proper UNIXes, through and through, not some clumsy, systemd riddled, Norwegian imitation.
>>
File: le smug anime face.png (306KB, 593x540px) Image search: [Google]
le smug anime face.png
306KB, 593x540px
>>51530907
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification#OS_X

Stay salty anon-kun :^)
>>
>>51530907
>implying its not.

Dude, it literally says BSD at the top of the man pages. It doesnt get more unix than that.
>>
>>51530891
You shouldn't even have to be that. People who are heavy into tech but have nothing to do with programming should be allowed to benefit from it. I'm very heavy into AV science but my lack of ability to compile my own software and fix errors has always held back my ability to use Linux.
>>
File: 1445046365468.jpg (51KB, 615x247px) Image search: [Google]
1445046365468.jpg
51KB, 615x247px
>>51530863
>macshit hobby OS
>proper unix

topkek
>>
>>51531041

I completely agree. Its the issue linux has had from the start. Beleive it or not, its got better, but at some point you still have to get your hands dirty.
>>
File: 1447060811284.png (45KB, 476x294px) Image search: [Google]
1447060811284.png
45KB, 476x294px
>>51530929
>paying a truckload of money for certification even though every posix command is simply emulated at 1/1000 the speed rather than native
>gets the cert anyway since posix is an irrelevant meme and they'll take any money they get
ayylmao
>>
>>51531176
You really are retarded anon. Aren't you?

The whole purpose behind wordexp is to do a shell expansion with variables. Or would you rather reimplement bash in libc?
>>
>>51531257
>eats shit from his hands
>calls someone else retarded
>>
>>51531281
No credible reply. Okay then :^)
>>
>>51531292
autists tend to repeat the same patterns obsessively (the whole "eats shit from hands" thing is a dead giveaway).
>>
File: 1447837897779.jpg (103KB, 525x808px) Image search: [Google]
1447837897779.jpg
103KB, 525x808px
>>51530863
>>
>>51531281
nice meme faggot
>>
>>51531292
>has no credible reply
>has to eat shit from his hands
You only hurt yourself.

>>51531209
this desu senpai
>>
>>51531354
>repeating the "eats shit from hands" phrase almost exactly
see what i mean? autism is seriously debilitating.
>>
>>51531372
That's good, that's very good, you're making progress. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
>>
>>51531323

So you're not denying that linux is just a dodgy norwegian unix clone then?
>>
isn't osx just a freebsd frontend?
>>
>>51531407
Bits and pieces of BSD sloppily bandaided onto applel's spaghetti code.
>>
>>51530863
>Check out a proper unix like BSD, you will be amazed.

Sorry, made a typo.
>>
>>51530774
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51530838
dammmmmmmmmmmn real talk here tonight on /g/
>>
>>51532602
kudos to the intelligent heads on /g/
>>
>>51531257
>Calls someone else retarded
>too stupid to realize what the code is doing

This is a standard library function implemented as a perl call. This is so retarded I have no words to describe it. It's like calling your car mechanic whenever you need to turn your steering wheel.
>>
>>51530863
I thought it was a work by some random Estonians.
>>
>>51530909
Try void if you want something systemd-less

rinit is great
>>
>>51535753
>systemd-less

No, don't go systemd-less. Systemd is good and adheres to the socalled UNIX bullshit philosophy.
>>
>>51535765
why would i use a meme init, anon?
>>
>>51535770
It's nice, fast, easy to diagnose, werks. Very good init.
>>
>>51535770
First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.
>>
>>51535782
>Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.
You can use systemd as just an init with your own shit to handle ntp or whatever if you prefer, so actually, this is not even the choice presented.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.