[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I fucked up big time. I was doing my final essay, the one I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 11

File: libre-office4.png (159KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
libre-office4.png
159KB, 640x360px
I fucked up big time.

I was doing my final essay, the one I've been working on for the past week. So I saved it under "Untitled" but fucked up and somehow ended up overwriting it with something else and saved it.

It was the only copy.

Is it possible to go back BEFORE I overwrote it and saved it or am I fucked?

Please, please, please tell me I'm not fucked. Please. Please. Fucking please, my life depends on it.
>>
Install Gentoo, the file will be on it when you install.
>>
>>51530473
Anon pls, I'm freaking out ;-;
>>
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/6652/how-to-recover-former-version-of-document
>>
There's not much you can do. Take this as a life lesson to use git when it matters.
>>
>>51530435

Sorry, you're probably fucked. The best you might be able to do is pray a cache of it is saved in windows/%temp% or in your program files/program data
>>
Don't ask /g/. Search google for "libreoffice recover file" or something similar. I know there's a recovery for broken files, so with some luck it keeps a cache and you can retrieve it. Good luck dude, and from now on use a backup and save multiple versions with clear names.
>>
>>51530503
I'll see if it works.

>>51530515
>>51530526
Oh god no, please no. My fucking stay at uni depends on this, I'll have to work in a fucking factory if I don't hand it in, I can't do it all over again, please no.

>>51530544
I've been googling frantically since I fucked up and nothing has helped so far, bro.
>>
>>51530526
>The best you might be able to do is pray a cache of it is saved in windows/%temp% or in your program files/program data
How can I access these files?
>>
>>51530565
Bumping, please
>>
>>51530630
iirc, it is view hidden files somewhere inside the folder options.
>>
>>51530687
Found out how, but there's no copy on the temp files.

Anything else I can do?

Jesus Christ lord please help me Jesus
>>
>>51530701
Re-write it.
>>
What OS are you using and what kind of filesystem was the document stored on?
>>
>writing a very important essay
>not keeping at the very least five quadrillion backups

I'm sorry anon but you were kinda asking for it.
>>
>>51530556
the time you're wasting trying to recover what is likely gone for good, could be spent rewriting it, you should have a general idea of what you said and how you said it, just go with that idea and polish id a bit
>>
>>51530729
Windows 8 and I don't know about the filesystem
Pls

>>51530742
I know, I fucked up big time, please help me

>>51530767
I don't have the time, I've been working on material for this since the start of the semester and putting it down since last week, it's impossible to re-do it for Monday
>>
>>51530797
>for Monday
No, it's definitely possible. Suck it up and start writing.
>>
>>51530797
NTFS is what Windows uses.

http://lifehacker.com/5237503/five-best-free-data-recovery-tools
>>
>>51530801
this, and handing in nothing cause you think you can't finish is a shit excuse and you'll deserve to be tossed out
>>
>>51530797
>for Monday

It's entirely possible, you probably have a draft or at least have the general ideas still in your head, right?

How long was the document and how long had you been working on it before you deleted it?
>>
>>51530843
You have no idea how much time I spent on this, I had on class of two hours each day. I only went to the classes and the rest of the day I worked on this, I wrote 321 pages during that time, it's impossible to re-write them all. The work was finished, I finished everything, the citations, the alignment, the fucky thing, everything, everything.

I saved 3-4 times before saving for the final time and then I overwrote it with some fucking nonsense because it was saved under "Untitled".
>>
>>51530894
Okay. I have some wisdom I can give you.

Start writing again, and write as much as you can, as well as you can.

On Monday, bring what you have, and say what happened. It does not matter if they believe you, or what grade you will be given.

Because bringing in something is ALWAYS better than bringing in nothing.
>>
>>51530894
It's not impossible. You said you started writing last week, e.g. you wrote those 321 pages in a week and a half max. You have 4 days. Just work harder.
>>
>>51530894

Well anon you should at least try to hand something in. Tell the teacher or whatever that you had technical issues and had to start from scratch but you did your best.

It will be better than nothing
>>
>>51530894
>kept an important document in a random place with the filename 'Untitled'
Dear fucking lord you actually asked for this. Like, 100% you fucked up with no one else to blame.

You pulled a stunt that has convinced me, and will convince everyone you tell it to, that you are not competent enough to work anywhere but a factory.

Sorry dude.
>>
Op you are so dumb if you can't even name a file jesus the laziness
>>
>>51530894
>321 pages
>not using LaTex
I'm honestly not memeing you or anything, but you really should have been using LaTex.
>>
>write 320 pages in a few weeks
>save it as "untitled"
lol, what
>>
>>51530942
>>51530960
>>51530974
That's not helpful.

>>51530926
>>51530930
>>51530934
I honestly can't redo it, it's imperative that I recover the file before it was overwritten. I'm dead fucking meat if I don't.
>>
>>51530974
OP is a supercomputer masquerading as a human. [spoiler]In other words, OP is a bot.[/spoiler]
>>
>>51531002
If you happen to have a system restore point at a convenient time, it would be worth trying that.
>>
>>51530966
While I agree with you, nothing about his core problem would have been solved simply by using LaTeX. If you're arguing that he should have used proper file names and saved multiple versions, you can do that with any other format you want. If you're saying he should have used git or some other version control, you might be surprised to learn that github allows you to commit doc(x) files and whatnot. There's obviously no way to meaningfully diff shit, but in practice a total idiot could "version control" their word documents and ensure that they could revert. They'd just be reverting binaries.

Giving people technical advice that's irrelevant to their actual problem is pretty much the worst kind of bike-shedding. Nobody likes bike-shedders.
>>
>>51531002
stop posting on 4chan and get to it.
if it's that important
>>
File: laughing men.png (655KB, 1048x696px) Image search: [Google]
laughing men.png
655KB, 1048x696px
>>51531002
Then you're dead fucking meat. Please send yourself to me so I can roast and eat you.
>>
Trollest of troll posts
>>
>>51531015
>If you happen to have a system restore point at a convenient time, it would be worth trying that.
those don't change files, do they?
>>
>>51531002
fine then, don't rewrite the paper, you're still not gonna recover the file, so you'll end up with nothing and be tossed out like the idiot you are, oh and don't worry about working in the factory since you're obviously too stupid for even that job
>>
>>51531027
I think you're right. I feel dumb for believing it for a while.
>>
>>51531022
>none of your advice is helping!
>here's my advice on your advice
This is advanced shitposting.
>>
>>51531022
>github allows you to commit doc(x) files
For real? Wow, I didn't know that.
>>
>>51531039
No one writes a 300 page paper in weeks. A graduate dissertation is ~100.
>>
>>51531027
>>51531039
Are you fucking kidding me?
>>
>>51531033
I thought they did.
>>
>>51531086
no, that's it's selling point, that you can go back to a previous state without effecting your files
>>
File: 0153 - WlHOCzS.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
0153 - WlHOCzS.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>not using ms word
>not syncing your documents every 10 minutes to onedrive and saving a backup copy to a flash drive
>>
>>51531110
MS SHILL PLS GO
>>
try this
www.howtogeek.com/56891/use-windows-7s-previous-versions-to-go-back-in-time-and-save-your-files/
>>
>>51531053
I'm taking you aside to tell you that you're a shitty poster. There's no other venue to help you except in this thread. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted - or would have let you know some other way.

>>51531065
you can commit whatever you want with git. It's just a bad idea since you end up with enormous git histories because git saves deltas, meaning that a ten million line file with a few lines removed and a few lines added only shows up as that initial 10 million line commit and then a commit essentially saying "remove these lines, add these lines".
>>
>>51530435
>one (1) fucking copy of le important essay face
>name it fucking Untitled to top it off
Yeah, I hope you have to drop out. Dumb fucks like you shouldn't be in charge of anything important.
>>
>>51530435
Windows? Can't you look in the file properties to see if Windows Restore saved a previous copy? One of the tabs. Im not in front of a com now cant tell you what the exact tab is.
>>
How on earth do you only have one copy. I'm in the middle of my capstone. i have 1 copy on my RAID setup. One one local internal backup. 1 on cold storage backup. And 1 on a fucking usb stick. I spent time and effort on this project and associated paper and made damned aure I had at LEAST 2 backups.

Youve only yourself to blame. Approach your professor, get on your knees and veg for an extension. Dont be surprised that you may have to perform other services while on your knees to get the time extended though.

Also expect to be looked at/treated like a child because of this careless mistake. This is all on your head.

To summarize, no. There is nothing that can be done to retrieve your paper untitled.doc pripr tp your over writing it. Start typing again.
>>
Literally worst b8 ever. I thought stupid rp threads were only on /x/

>321 page paper written in all the time not spent in class
So 3 pages a day, and not once did you think to make a backup of some kind? I call bullshit. If you're writing something that long, it's a doctoral thesis or dissertation, and not only would you not be stupid enough to risk your college and post collegiate career on a single untitled file, but you'd also be smart enough to look into other options, such as seeking help from an advisor to figure out the requirements for an academic intervention. These things exist for extenuating circumstances such as hardware failure resulting in the loss of all copies of a paper, or theft of personal property such as a laptop bag with your laptop, external hard disk and USB drive with the original copy and all backups.

Stop being a faggot. If you're not some idiot child acting like a retard for trolling, then use your university's resources and get a significant enough extension to rewrite at least half of the paper. Though I fail to see how you could possibly write a paper that long without notes and things that would make it possible to bang out 10 pages an hour for 8 hours each day between now and Monday with all of the footwork already done except actually writing the damn thing.
>>
>feels good not being OP
>>
>>51531556

You would be surprised at the stupidity of people. That being said, I do feel sorry for OP though.
>>
File: huh_haaaaa.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
huh_haaaaa.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>51531560
how will OP ever finish this 50 word essay by Monday
>>
File: 2015-11-25 (2).png (35KB, 377x515px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-25 (2).png
35KB, 377x515px
ACTUALLY, this should be an easy solve if you have Windows and shadow copies enabled (which is default).

Find the file that you overwrote, right click to Properties and click Previous Versions and it should be there. Pic for example.
>>
>>51531721
Luckily for OP Microsoft realized their userbase is a bunch of retards and turned the previous versions feature on by default. But it is only useful if the computer was on long enough for the scheduled copy to run.

He might not get the most recent copy but at least it is something...
>>
>>51531721
I don't have this?
>>
This is why you write your essays in LaTeX and use source control.
>>
>>51531915
Yes you do.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/previous-versions-files-faq#1TC=windows-7

If you don't see any copies listed however you are fucked.
>>
>>51531915
>>51531955
Actually on windows 8 I forgot they replaced this feature with file history instead.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/how-use-file-history
>>
>>51531978
That only works for lost files. This was overwritten.
>>
>OP saves his document as "untitled"
>autistic people think that by adding git to the equation, OP will suddenly check in more often and commit and push his work regularly

nope. i've worked with people like OP. you introduce them to git and their projects will have two commits every time:
1) init, 2 lines and maybe a readme file
2) finished, 100000000 lines added across dozens of files

technology doesn't override practices. OP has bad practices.
>>
>>51532020
>File History regularly backs up versions of your files in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC. Over time, you'll have a complete history of your files. If the originals are lost, damaged, or deleted, you can restore them. You can also browse and restore different versions of your files. For example, if you want to restore an older version of a file (even if it wasn't deleted or lost), you can browse through a timeline, select the version you want, and restore it.
You are retarded.
>>
>>51532020
No, it's the same implementation but according to Wikipedia they removed the graphical front end in 8 (?!?!?!) so the Previous Versions tab is gone. But you can use a 3rd party tool to access individual files from snapshots : http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

There's also the File History thing but I don't know if it's enabled by default.
>>
>>51532070
>http://www.shadowexplorer.com/
Do this OP
>>
>>51532070
File history is not enabled by default but previous versions used to be. Couldn't hurt to check
>>
>>51532039
just setup an autocommit every x minutes ;^)
>>
>>51532122
It wasn't enabled. I just checked.

So basically the file history thing is useless.
>>
>>51530556
Dude, if you can't even save a fucking file properly, I doubt you can make it very far in life.
>>
Just installed LaTex blindly because a lot of people in this thread suggested it.

Should I use Letter or A4?

What's the difference?

What can I do with this program compared to MS word 2014... LOL?
>>
>>51532070
>>51532106
Is Shadow Explorer safe though?
>>
>>51532143
>Should I use Letter or A4?
Depends on what you're doing. Copy and paste a template that fits your needs.
>>
>>51532143
depends

size

make it look good
>>
>>51532138
>useless

Only useless if you don't set it up :^)
>>
File: 1438561695027.png (721KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1438561695027.png
721KB, 1280x720px
>>51532151
Well, there's no source code available, but when you're in OP's situation what fucking choice do you have? A virus is the least of their worries right now
>>
>>51532169
>>51532183
Cool, going with Letter since i live in the USA.

Do you guys use TexStudio? Or is there a better alternative as I hear you can use more than just that one...
>>
>>51532143
You should learn to use it after you're done with your essay, because you're double fucked if you try to figure it out while writing something that's due on Monday.
>>
File: fruity.jpg (96KB, 320x360px) Image search: [Google]
fruity.jpg
96KB, 320x360px
>>51532257
Sorry did not mean to give off the impression that I was OP.

I am just a random anon with time to kill that became interested in LaTex.
>>
>>51532244
What you use is up to you, but I normally just use vim. I only use Latex to type up my scientific-style papers, so I have my template and shit all setup already.
>>
>>51532289
Just watched this guy's tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-kXtWdjtmw

I was thinking about how powerful this program can be, but then would I be fucked if I needed to edit my file on the go?

So, once I set up a file and say I'm at my university which doesn't have LaTex installed... would I be unable to edit it? Or would it be cool since it exports to pdf? Can it export to a windows office file too?
>>
wow ill turn automatic backups in open office because of this
thanks op and good luck
>>
>>51532328
It's just a bunch of tex files and possibly some images for your figures or whatever. So you can edit them in whatever text editor you like. But to recompile it, you would indeed need LaTex and all the appropriate packages installed. There's a bunch of formats you can export your stuff to, but the generally all you need is pdf. I think there is some workaround way to go from LaTex to doc, but it's not desirable.
>>
Is no one questioning what the fuck requires 321 pages of an essay?
>>
>>51532379
It's my final work here at the university. It's for publication purposes.
>>
>>51532379
No. Papers can get bretty big. Not that I would know.
>>
>>51532379
nah, it's inconsequential to my life what class op is going to fail.
>>
File: ayy lmao.png (150KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.png
150KB, 1920x1080px
now I am learnin'
>>
>>51532379
people either assumed that he was exaggerating or inferred that he was talking about compiling a substantive thesis or something.

that detail's not really that important because the issue is that he didn't back shit up.
>>
>>51532404
>>51532405
A paper, sure. An evaluation or systemic review or whatever, I get it.

But a 321 ESSAY? That's bollocks and frankly, troll or not, I'm going to sleep knowing full well OP deserved this and I shall sleep like a baby.
>>
>>51532440
Edgy
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 640x642px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 640x642px
>>51532436
I refuse to believe you can get to the stage where you're writing a substantial thesis (not an essay) and not know about basic backups.

Are you going to believe that he wrote his full thesis, all 321 pages of it, and saved it as Untitled.odf?
>>
>>51532334
>Open Office
But this, thanks for reminding me OP
>>
>>51532431
A+ work, anon. I hope you're doing that poop in a loo.
>>
File: veg 4 extension.png (423KB, 1080x926px) Image search: [Google]
veg 4 extension.png
423KB, 1080x926px
>>51531345
>veg for an extension
Kek
>>
Why didn't use save a copy on google drive or one drive a few days into your essay?

I switched to writing my essay on cloud word processors like google docs or office online so I wouldn't have to deal with bullshit like this anymore.
>>
>>51532469
you're focusing on the wrong part still:
>that detail's not really that important because the issue is that he didn't back shit up.
it doesn't matter how long the document is, or how long he spent on it. the fact is that the OP has shitty practices.

literally every person i've ever met who has good version control/git practices has had a sob story about losing a lot of work. This thread is OP's story. The details don't matter.
>>
File: Oh you!.jpg (86KB, 451x339px) Image search: [Google]
Oh you!.jpg
86KB, 451x339px
>>51532499
>>
>>51532469
You'd be surprised. I'm aware of at least one situation where a tech botched a profile transfer and the end-user hadn't backed anything up for six years. She broke down crying when she found out how much she lost.
>>
>>51532839
How much money did she get?
>>
>>51531109
I though so too, but last week i fucked up like op, tried a restore point and it worked.
>>
Use LaTeX
>>
>>51530435
Use a database backend extension to remove the corrupt file from the file system, then use access point entry to regain the cache and get back the file.
>>
This is like running a full marathon and getting to the end, then finding out the end was actually the starting line and you have half the time to get there or else you will work in a factory for the rest of your life.
Furthermore, instead of running, op goes to a Croatian puppet forum asking how to time travel
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.