[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of switching to Linux, but first I want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 06f0d8ac71b510233cb6ba0adf38a1ab.jpg (136KB, 1024x614px) Image search: [Google]
06f0d8ac71b510233cb6ba0adf38a1ab.jpg
136KB, 1024x614px
I'm thinking of switching to Linux, but first I want to know objectively what are the drawbacks of switching to Linux?

I'm sure there are many, for example lack of proper CAD and MS Office (no, LO is not as good)...

inb4
>Increased security
>less crashes
>etc
>>
>>51528508

Hope you like command lines and manually editing system files. Oh and also endless googling to try and figure out why your wifi/trackpad/whatever doesn't work with the particular flavor of linux you're using on that particular combination of hardware.

If thats your thing, well knock yourself out!
>>
>>51530337
What year are you from?

>>51528508
You should be fine OP, I tried out Ubuntu on my laptop recently and the installation experience was nicer than Windows, all the drivers installed right from the gate.

As for objective differences that's going to depend on what you intended to use on your computer; do you make use of office to any further level than a text editor? If not LO should work well for you, otherwise the high level features really won't compare, MS office takes the cake there.

If you only ever use the computer for browsing you'll not see much of a difference between the two.
>>
>>51530415
>What year are you from?

Dude, really? Read /g/ for a while this place is full of threads asking why X doesnt work with linux distribution Y on hardware Z.
>>
>>51530415
>What year are you from?

This guy. Linux just isn't ready for regular desktop use, despite the fantastic advancements in the past decade or so. Everything works beautifully on the initial install, but eventually something randomly breaks with no discernible reason; you'd better hope it's not network-related because it will require searching online for something incredibly obscure.
>>
>>51528508
Hey faggot, you're 13, I highly doubt you use CAD, never mind seriously (to make money). Also all you Windows plebs need to realize Office365 exists for a fucking reason. The fact you can't pirate it doesn't make it unavailable on Linux, you keks.
>>
>>51530525
Also full of 10 year olds, what's your point?
>>
>>51528508
No videogames.
>>
File: mythbusters.jpg (104KB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
mythbusters.jpg
104KB, 356x200px
>>51530745
I've been using it for regular desktop use for 11 years, pal.
>>
File: busted.jpg (13KB, 500x243px) Image search: [Google]
busted.jpg
13KB, 500x243px
>>51531049
>emulators
>wine
>steam
>battle for weskek
>>
>>51531012

My point? I already said, here >>51530337
>>
>>51531049
>emulators
>wine
>native GNU/Linux games
>steam
you have no excuses.
>>
>>51528508
>increased security
No OS or kernel is safe from the NSA :^)
>>
>>51530337
GNU/Linux is not that goddamn hard. stop this FUD. hardware support is much better these days for GNU/Linux
>>
>>51531389
yes he does
>>
>>51531353
>reading comprehension
You said /g/ is littered with GNU/Linux support requests, and I told you those people are 10 year olds. What a shitwit.
>>
>>51531463

Its better, but you still better be ready to pop that command line. You are just lying if you say that aint so.
>>
>>51531529

Ok so they're 10 year olds, they are still going to face the issues I outlined.
>>
>>51528508
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51530337
blegh, if your wifi doesnt work you should know before you even installs. It's a rare case that the hardware isnt supported, same goes for trackpads.

Command lines and manually editing files ya, but doing most of everything through CLI is generally a lot faster than a GUI like explorer if you can type ~60wpm and you know what you're doing
>>
>>51530745
>Linux just isn't ready for regular desktop use
Huh? I switched 8 months ago to arch full time from w7 and all my troubles have only ever been my own fuck ups.
>>
File: 1446494478836.png (53KB, 441x424px) Image search: [Google]
1446494478836.png
53KB, 441x424px
>>51528508

This tbqh.>>51531568

Honestly, if you're just switching or thinking about it, be prepared for shit not to work and having to go into CLI to fix it. Fortunately, there are forums online to help you. In addition, since you're new to Linux or at least want o try it, I would advise you against completely wiping your Windows partition, just in case some thing goes wrong with whatever distro you're using and you need to look up a quick fix. Just dual boot.

Also, if you what to go into more advanced distros like Arch or Gentoo, be prepared to use the CLI a lot. That being said, just stick with the beginner distros like *buntu (minus Unity) or openSUSE, just cause of their relatively beginner-friendly status and the relatively good suport. Just because i
>>
File: wailord of bait.jpg (45KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wailord of bait.jpg
45KB, 1000x1000px
>>51530745
>>Linux just isn't ready for regular desktop use

Brah, it ain't 2001 anymore. Linux has been usable on most desktops since at least '05 (when I started using it), probably way before that even. Even if something breaks, usually you caused it in some manner. And usually it's just a quick fix that can be looked up pretty easily
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.