[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why BSD and Linux communities dont get along?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 4

File: freebsd2icon.jpg (78KB, 387x397px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd2icon.jpg
78KB, 387x397px
Why BSD and Linux communities dont get along?
>>
People with differing opinions don't like to work together and open source encourages forking. FreeBSD and Linux devs collaborate on OpenZFS along with Illumos and OSX devs.
>>
Windows/mac people always say Linux users are angry virgins. Well, BSD lusers are in that same ration, they are seen as losers by Linux.

-BSD distro leaders are generally turbo fedora cape wearers
-BSDrones bleat for *days* about how the GPL is a virus and evil yet sony and apple have stolen BSD numerous times without giving dick back
-All BSDlord "art" is the same edgefag pic of the daemon fucking tux
-BSD spent the first 20% of its life in courts during the most critical time in the 90s arguing about dumb unix related laws which is what allowed linux to take off
-BSD is red, and linux is black and white, and those two colors go with everything. BSD doesn't match a lot of stuff and is therefore shit.
>>
>>51528216
Because the GPL is a virus.
>>
>>51529392
you'll have to try harder than that
>>
>>51528216
Because BSDrones irrationally sperg out over the GPL.
>>
>>51529392
turkish jihad
not using both gnu/linux and bsd
>into the trash
>>
The BSD projects view copyleft licenses as no different from proprietary licenses. The BSDs don't really have any specific problem with Linux but they will not use code from GNU or Linux because the GPL license would jeopardize the ownership of their projects.
>>
>>51528216
The Linux community as a whole hates everyone. Even themselves.
>>
>>51529880
No, fuck you.
>>
GNU zealots care more about politics than technology.
BSD developers care more about technology than politics.
>>
>>51530159
>BSD developers care more about technology than politics.
That's why they spend all day crying about the GPL right?
>>
>>51530171
You're thinking of GPL "developers" that whine about people not using copyleft licenses for everything.
>>
>>51530269
Except that GNU/Linux distros ship with free software under a variety of license both copyleft and not copyleft. It's the BSD guys that throw fits over licensing and actively try to nuke as much GPL stuff as they can.
>>
BSDfags, a.k.a., "never heard of the concept of Negative Liberty". They're just edgy libertarians who want everyone to be so "free" that everyone lives under shackles.
>>
>>51530300
Because, if you weren't aware, they can't use GPL'd code in BSD, because copyleft a shit.

Go back to licking dingleberries off Stallman's hairy asshole, gnufag.
>>
>>51530340
They can, but they just refuse to agree with GPL because muh politics.
>>
>>51530340
>Hurr freedom is so important i want to make sure others can remove it!!111
Why do BSDfags always cry about this? It's almost like they don't actually want freedom, and all they really care about is being able to give proprietary software injections of Free code at no cost of money or effort... after all, it is the only *material* difference, libertarianfag rhetoric aside.

Go back to licking Apple's boots.
>>
Theo de Raadt is the reason BSD is hated.
>>
>>51530418
BSDs are funded by companies that make use of their code specifically because of the permissive license. They don't want to change their license(s) and chase everyone off just to appease a homeless wacko.
>>
>>51528216
Years of sexual violence
>>
>>51529899
Kek
>>
Because linux fags whining about everything. It's not that all linux users are whiners, just that the majority are whiners. That's why long ago the actual devs gained stfu and rtfm attitudes from dealing with so many entitled whining bitches that think they know everything.
>>
>>51530423
Theo only manages OpenBSD. There's at least 3 other significant BSDs. 4 if you count PC-BSD although it's basically a distro of FreeBSD
>>
>>51530502
Even Linus himself is a whiner.
>>
BSD wants to create a free unix operating system. I don't know what the major Linux distros want any more.
>>
>>51530423
s/hate/love/
>>
>>51530648
BSD only seems to care about ensuring that Apple can save money.
>>
>>51530722
>b-but muh evul corporations!!!
Who really gives a fuck, and why?

An operating system is a tool, not a toy to live out your '90s Hollywood cyberpunk political fantasies.
>>
>>51530722
Everyone takes from everyone. Apple spent a lot of money on LLVM and now the BSDs are using it, even Linux is moving to it partly. Darwin is permissively licensed and a lot of components from it can be taken and reincorporated. Grand central dispatch is used in FreeBSD 8.1+. Launchd/launchctl and the mach IPC sections of the kernel are being worked into a development fork of FreeBSD called NextBSD
>>
Human nature, everyone wants to feel better than the other in attempt to patch up their low self-esteem, and people fear the other group always
>>
>>51528216
https://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01
>>
Be careful when you mock the BSDs for their permissive license, the TCP/IP stack in your OS was probably built on top of their code and used because of that license.
>>
>>51530340
>Because, if you weren't aware, they can't use GPL'd code in BSD, because copyleft a shit.
then why does openbsd ship with GNU GCC?
>>
>>51531134
>GNU GNU C Compiler

I bet you go around saying LCD display too, right?
>>
>>51531206
no. I have a habit of including GNU before GCC. let me rephrase the question. if *BSD can't include GPL code, why does openbsd include the GNU C compiler or GCC?
>>
>>51531251
*GNU compiler collection

this is not a good night for me
>>
I don't know why this is so fascinating to me. Reading through these threads about Linux, gnu, bsd, and programming is so entertaining... Even though I don't understand anything that is being said.
>>
>>51530869
why would i bother using BSD if not to live out my cyberpunk fantasies
>>
Well, what is the problem in asking for the credit for something you created, as it is done in GPL?
Like, you're not asking money, just credit.
>>
File: 1437853256234.png (316KB, 683x623px) Image search: [Google]
1437853256234.png
316KB, 683x623px
>>51530869
>he doesn't know we already live in a cyberpunk world that is ruled by shadow government controlled by our alien overlords
>>
They do. People only get pissed of when the other site tries to lecture them.
Otherwiese they don' give a fuck.
>>
>>51531251
I think GCC is the only exception and they don't link it with anything. Their version of GCC has a lot of mitigations written into it from over the years so it's probably hard to get rid of it but Theo mentioned that he wanted to a few years ago.
>>
>>51529392
Counterpoint: systemd
>>
>>51530418
It's more like, these faggots want to steal... I mean "use" BSD code.
>>
>>51531134
gcc doesn't inject gpl'd code into bsd software, you fucking moron. jesus
>>
>>51530664
s/s/hate/love//s/hate/loved//
>>
BSD = True Freedom
GPL = "Freedom" under Stallman's tyranny
>>
File: 1388675712379.png (812KB, 1069x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1388675712379.png
812KB, 1069x1081px
>>51532084
>BSDfags really believe this
>>
>>51532099
With BSD you don't have to worry about being sued by some arbitrary thirdparty for using a line of their code. With BSD you can have the peace of mind that you can do absolutely anything you want with your computer.
>>
>>51532155
don't develop proprietary software and you won't ever have this problem
>>
BSD can be summed up as the difference between Windows and Mac.
Windows being Linux.
And Mac being BSD.
Windows/Linux vs Mac/BSD
One for successful people and one for hipster faggots.
>>
>>51532263
It isn't just about proprietary software development. You also can't sell the computer with such software as a case can be made that you are also selling such software, which would require you to purchase such licenses.
>>51532283
Your analogy fails in that Mac is easier to get into then Windows, whereas the same comparison fails with BSD/Linux.

This coming from someone with relatively little experience in BSD, tried using FreeBSD as a desktop OS, and PFSense on another computer. While I do endorse and believe in its use, I don't have the time to make it functional enough for practical use. Main reason why I use Win7 and occasionally log onto Debian when I need to do something unusual.
>>
>>51532354
>purchase such licenses
What the fuck? We are still talking about the GPL right? It doesn't forbid you from selling software or anything at all.
>>
>>51532395
Unfortunately you can't rest your mind knowing that everything on a linux system was developed with GPL in mind, as certain algorithms can be trademarked after fact and cause legal issues.
>>
>>51532504
Please tell me what in the world you are talking about. You were whining about GPL software earlier, and now you are complaining about patent trolling? Stay focused.
>>
>>51532520
he's grasping at straws
>>
>>51532084
>bsdfags literally complain about people using the freedom they themselves whine when they don't have
>>
>>51532520
Sorry, I missed my mark, was whining about linux initially rather than GPL.
>>51532542
Was being retarded more than grasping at straws.
>>
windows user here, enjoy being the kiss less virgin for the rest of your life while I fuck the prom queen.

Botnet my life is fine because well "I fucked the prom queen" and want others to feel jealous.
>>
>>51531348
some people are so ignorant, right anon?
>>
>>51530923
Amazing how some of this still applies.

>captcha pic: street called "chown"
>>
"The GPL is a virus" is a virus.
>>
>>51532756
>"The GPL is a virus" is a virus.
See >>5152588
>>
>>51529899
Dubs confirmed
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwbO4eTieQY

Longer video(more in depth) by the same guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdWw86cjL7E
>>
Is the assumption that BSD stands for Butt Sex Devil correct?
>>
>>51529646
Typical response for someone who doesn't know how to reply.
>>
>>51532898
No this is Unix it has to be a redundant acronym thingy.

BSD Sex Devil
>>
>>51530890
>darwin
>hey guise, I'm done taking a shit! you can use it now if you want.
>>
>>51530914
Ironic, this post is from a tripfag.

Do you feel better than everyone else, you special snowflake faggot?
>>
>>51532099
>he's still unironically posting that image that's actually making fun of the GPL
>>
>>51528216
>mfw someone is actually autistic enough to draw this
>>
>>51530722
>FreeBSD = all of the BSDs
Stop that
>>
>>51531134
then why does openbsd ship with GNU GCC?
Because it's GCC 4.2.1, a non-copyleft licensed version
>>
BSD >= MIT >= ISC > LGPL > shit >>>>> GPL >>>>> proprietary
>>
>>51531997
It doesn't work like that you have escape the things you want to replace I am mad.
>>
I remimd you that Darwin os X kwrnel is opensource and BSD brothera use so partaa of it
>>
>>51535415
BSD and MIT == proprietary
i.e. only reason to use them is because you want to be able to feed proprietary

a world of free software cannot be build as long as proprietary software enablers persist

>hurr muh freedom
not all freedoms make people more free, see: slave-ownership rights
>>
File: GPL, not even once.jpg (194KB, 1000x898px) Image search: [Google]
GPL, not even once.jpg
194KB, 1000x898px
>This thread
Stallmanites need to go back to their cave.
>>
>>51535552
Permissive licenses are for software developed to share. Yes you can use it. Oh you don't want to contribute back? That's cool. Oh you're donating because you used some of our code? Thank you. Oh you're releasing your modifications? Thank you.
>>
>>51535552
>muh corporate slavery

let's be real here, you're a slave no matter what software platform you use to mindlessly consume media and write homestuck fan fiction
>>
>>51535747
>projecting
>>
>>51535713
That's called the LGPL.

Literally, give me a single reason to use BSD over LGPL if you develop software "intended to be shared", by which I assume you mean "able to be used by companies" making a product out of a nonfree codebase by bashing together Free parts, which you obviously do.
>>
>>51529392
>black and white go with everything
winfag here
that's a retarded argument
learn a fucking thing about fashion before you try to go to b/w exclusivity because you apparently have the same taste as a deviantart user
b/w is the easiest option ever, don't act like you're superior for taking the easiest fucking way out
>>
>>51528216
MASTURBATING MONKEYS
>>
It's not exclusive to any kernel, it's not exclusive to any license, and no group is exempt. This is what any OS does to the others. The sooner the brain disease of "brand loyalty" is put to an end, the sooner we can fix them all.
>>
>>51529392
>All BSDlord "art" is the same edgefag pic of the daemon fucking tux
just wondering if you've seen the diaperfur arch linux art yet
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.