[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Slackware still the best Linux distribution? >Simple,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: bluepiSW.jpg (48KB, 232x227px) Image search: [Google]
bluepiSW.jpg
48KB, 232x227px
Is Slackware still the best Linux distribution?

>Simple, easy to edit init scripts
>Supports Unix development out of the box: GCC included in the default install
>Both stable releases and a rolling -current branch
>All upstream software with little to no changes
>Dedicated community providing build scripts for third party software similar to AUR
>>
Void Linux is a nice distro as well.
>>
agreed

>oldest and is the original linux distribution
>no systemd bloat NSA backdoor like the rest
>coolest sounding name and used by 1337 hackers in the 90's to hack the gibson
>>
I don't really want a fucking dvd of some guy with everything he's personally using to start my desktop with.
>>
>>51524849
>What is not selecting something to be installed?
You don't have to select everything anon. KDE or XFCE could be removed in favor of the other. And Xapps is almost always safe to remove
>>
>>51524757
yup. just replace the kernel with a libre kernel and replace the program xv to enjoy maximum freedom.
>>
Yes

>>51524849
Just deselect fat stuff like KDE or emacs categories if you don't need them.
>>
>>51524801
Slack and void are two of my favourites also.

Though void is missing a few packages I use quite frequently, rinit is really nice. And the fast boot is pleasant.

Not quite as solid as slack though.
>>
It's pretty awesome. I do feel too lazy to go find slackbuilds sometimes, but it's the only distro that I trust to not break.

>>51524849
pretty sure Pat doesn't use emacs, XFCE or most of the stuff that comes on the DVD
>>
I have always wondered why the big distros doesn't include gcc per default.
They include a ton of other stuff that is not used either so why not something most people need to build software?
A package manager makes life a lot more easier and slack doesn't include that
>>
>>51524988
He said that he uses XFCE on some of his old machines. I think be still uses Elvis of all things
>>
>>51524999
pretty sure slackpkg is included nowadays
>>
File: 1447981601683.png (31KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
1447981601683.png
31KB, 500x250px
Smokeware is the best distro
>>
>>51525588
slackware blazed it at 4:19, before it was 4:20
>>
It has by far the best installer, other distros like Arch should borrow it.
It was the distro that made me fall in love with linux, used it for years until I tried debian and after discovering apt never looked back.
Compiling libs was a pain in the ass in slack
>>
File: vim.png (8KB, 556x318px) Image search: [Google]
vim.png
8KB, 556x318px
>>51525027
>I think be still uses Elvis of all things
Well vim is nogware. What else to use as vi?
>>
>1993 + 22
>using slackware

TOP KEK!
>>
>>51526126
>vim is nogware
Fair enough. I actually use elvis for simple edits, and the built in binary editor is handy. I figured that vim would be a better rounded editor if its the only one you use. I use emacs mostly.
>>
What will the future of Slackware be? Will it manage sustain its identity in the long run in a systemd-ridden Linux world? Vote in the poll below.

http://strawpoll.me/6101272
>>
File: 1447536233201.gif (546KB, 266x198px) Image search: [Google]
1447536233201.gif
546KB, 266x198px
>>51524816
>>51526323
>systemd
>>
Slackbook 3.0 when finally? Slackbook 2.0 is a decade old by now.
ftp://ftp.slackbook.org/slackbook/slackbook-2.0.pdf
>>
>>51526368
whats wrong with systemd?
>>
File: systemd_monster_small.gif (3MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
systemd_monster_small.gif
3MB, 480x320px
>>51526670
Everything.

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

But let's not derailt the thread, it's about Slackware rather than about why systemd is an abomination.
>>
>>51526781
>derailt
*derail
>>
>>51526323
Slackware will adopt systemd and it won't even be noticeable
>>
>>51526816
How so? Slackware users arguably are rather used to its BSD-style init scripts, how could replacing them (and a heap of other things) with systemd "not be noticable"?
>>
>>51526323
>>51526816

The below discussion (a rather lengthy read) is relevant to these matters and might be more or less interesting to read or skim over.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/the-mass-exodus-if-slackware-uses-systemd-4175523380/
>>
File: 0002.gif (18KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
0002.gif
18KB, 128x128px
Slackware, yay! I have it on my computer right now. Feelsgoodman.
>>
>>51524999
Slackware is a package based distribution, of course it incorporates a package manager.
>>
>>51526644
>http://strawpoll.me/6101272

Yeah well it still guides you through the setup process just fine.
>>
>>51527048
But does that package manager resolve dependencies?
>>
>>51527068
Nope.
>>
>>51527068
Dependency management is left up to the sysadmin, and that's the way we like it.
>>
>>51527098
Yea, which probably was his point.
>>
>>51527113
Ok, given that, do you believe adopting systemd could "go largely unnoticed" how >>51526816 suggested?
>>
>Simple, easy to edit init scripts
Unit files for systemd are much easier. If you want script based FreeBSD are much nicer and cleaner.

GCC is complete crap, FreeBSD comes with clang+llvm developed in to the base system. Slackware has no base system like real UNIX, the BSD's do, Slackware like all other linux use a whole bunch of random shit rather than a nice cohesive base.

>Both stable releases and a rolling -current branch
So do a lot of other distros and operating systems.

>All upstream software with little to no changes
Other than Debian it's no different from many other big distros.

>Dedicated community providing build scripts for third party software similar to AUR
AUR is better, FreeBSD ports is the best and biggest community offering third party software (24k different packages) and is maintained by competent people with proper experience and review taken.
>>
>>51527114
That's true, I was just pointing out that it definitely uses packages and has a package manager. Building packages with dependencies is pretty simple using slackbuilds.
>>
>>51524757

Started off with the *buntus, then Debian vanilla. Now running Slackware at home and at work. It's the only distro thus far where I feel like I have a handle on what's going on with my system. Running it is a real learning experience, I honestly feel like I'm getting better at Linux. Fewer distro wrapper scripts and other magic to separate you from the fundamental system.

On the other hand...installed Inkscape last night. Manually downloading and running 15 different Slackbuild dependencies had me questioning my sanity for a bit there. But it all happened on my watch, and if something else got broken, I have a much better chance of figuring it out.
>>
>>51527260
Look into sbopkg. It lets you sync to slackbuilds.org, sort a queue of packages and build them all in order. You can also check for updates and such.
>>
>>51526913
I'll work through this.

Pat has said that he would adopt systemd if there was no alternative. He maintains slackware by compiling external software from source. if the entire unix world moved over to systemd, he would as well; he is not big enough to maintain all the software by himself.

But a few days ago, uedev got integrated which is the udev that has been stripped out of systemd. So certainly no move within the next year plus(plus) for sure.

I watched a video from some bsd guys saying that systemd was not all bad. The argument was that in this world of wireless connections and cellphones, having an active agent managing all sorts of dynamic system events is an ok idea.

Shit, I even agree with that, as long as it is not a default or a hard dependency. I just want to be able to strip it out if necessary; and on my workstation and laptop, I certainly have no need for that massive extra software stack.
>>
>>51527303

oh yeah. I would probably move over to a bsd if slackware adopted systemd. I've been running slackware since the mid 90's.

Eventually, the bsd people will actually engineer a good systemd like system. I don't even dismiss the idea that the systemd crowd will re-engineer their stuff to be more modular.

Given they pulled kdbus from going into the kernel, even they know their engineering sucks. But this is OSS, and I'm sure they will fix things up over the next several years.
>>
>>51524757
C compiler is actually a part of POSIX, so every POSIX compatible system should have one
>>

Please vote.
>>
>>51527161

>Unit files are much easier
Subjective. I don't like all the extra cruft that systemd brings to the table.

>GCC is complete crap
Again, subjective. GCC is pretty much the standard C compiler. Clang is pretty nice though.

>Linux uses a bunch of random shit rather than a nice clean base
I'm sorry, what? FreeBSD pulls just as much from other places. Bash, OpenSSH, and Clang are all external projects. Not to mention most of the programs you will be running are obviously not developed by FreeBSD.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.