[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the Linux downloadable of the game the largest one?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_2015-11-25-10-57-19.png (65KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-25-10-57-19.png
65KB, 540x960px
Why is the Linux downloadable of the game the largest one?
>>
>>51518936
Java sux.
>>
>>
>>51518974
because people can't into shared libs
>>
>>51519015
or maybe to make people think they actually built a linux port
>>
No idea what that is, but proprietary software on Linux is typically bundled with every shared lib except for libc and used with LD_PRELOAD, so there's probably a lot of crap in there that's going to be a copy of what already comes with the OS. They do this because it's considered "too hard" to make one binary that works with every distro and too hard to just statically link everything. Either that or it's bundled with a full version of Wine or Mono.
>>
Because it was ported and not natively built there. Any system commands were probably translated instead of rewritten to be more efficient.
>>
>>51519042
>or maybe to make people think they actually built a linux port
>>51519178
>No idea what that is, but proprietary software on Linux is typically bundled with every shared lib except for libc and used with LD_PRELOAD, so there's probably a lot of crap in there that's going to be a copy of what already comes with the OS. They do this because it's considered "too hard" to make one binary that works with every distro and too hard to just statically link everything. Either that or it's bundled with a full version of Wine or Mono.
This in my experience.
>>
>>51519178
It would be just as big if everything was linked statically. And it can't just use system libs because small differences between libs on all kinds of distros ensure that it willnot work somewhere unless you ship everything including libc.
>>
>>51521212
>It would be just as big if everything was linked statically.
Nah man. Static linking can remove objects that aren't used.
>>
>>51521217
But the truth is there is so many interconnections between code that it's all required. Even, for example, if you never open TGA files in your program, support for them will not be removed from your statically linked executable.
>>
>>51521252
uh, forgot to mention, in the example I'm talking about statically linking to imagemagick.
>>
what fucking game?
>>
>>51521252
>>51521258
Eh, maybe. If the lib is designed right it should work though. I guess you could also use whole-program-optimisation.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.