[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Last week I had the opportunity to work Fossetcon in Orlando.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: Stallman.png (160KB, 528x676px) Image search: [Google]
Stallman.png
160KB, 528x676px
Last week I had the opportunity to work Fossetcon in Orlando. This was my first time doing anything of the sort, and my job was to assist the various speakers - Lodgings, travel arrangements, scheduling, you name it, hell even some janitorial duties.

Our main speaker was Richard Stallman, and he was handling the keynote. We had some problems with the PA system so there was some delay. On account of Richard being the first speaker I was instructed to notify him. I’ve been a huge RMS fan - so this was big for me. I’d hoped for a chance to speak with him at length, but that notion quickly ended once I met the man himself.

Stallman was wearing a plaid shirt looking perturbed, to say the least. I had heard from another organizer that he’d taken offense to a small banner near the podium that belonged to the OSI and they had to move it lest he pull his speaking engagement. This in mind I approached him a bit cautiously.

>“Mr. Stallman, I’m so sorry, we’re running about 15 minutes behind schedule.”
>”When you need to tell me about a problem in a plan, please do not start with a long apology.”
>“Oh. Well, it’s just that, I know your time is very important and I-i’m…Sorry.”
>“That is unbearably boring, and unnecessary — conveying useful information is helpful and good, and why apologize for that?
>“…I see. Well at any rate we're thinking of getting a group of people for dinner after the conference, like eight or so of us, and head to that Italian place down the street. We would love to have you.”
>”Listen, if you are thinking of setting up a dinner for me with more than four people, that's clearly a ‘meeting’, not a ‘dinner’, and you should have discussed that with me in advance.”
>“Well, I'm sorry...was just wondering if you wanted to join us for dinner,”
>”It's not dinner, it's a meeting. And those draw on my strength, just like speeches and interviews.”
>“…”
>”They are not relaxation, they are work.”

He then -mid conversation- turned his back to me and walked away.
>>
He's a scumbag.
>>
>>51515366
So?
>>
>>51515366
based stallman
>>
He's just frustrated.

No one says GNU plus Linux or GNU slash Linux or even know what GNU is at all.
>>
What would he look like without his beard I wonder
>>
>huge RMS fan
Literally why.
>>
>sitting his fatass down to gobble up some fancy Italian food is a "draw on his strength"
Okay, Stallman.
>>
>>51515366
He has to deal with you chuckle fucks for a living. I'll bet he's had bad experiences with those "dinners" he's been invited to in the past.
>>
The real reason he said no is because he would rather eat shit from his foot instead
>>
>>51515366
Today on /g/: anon meets a man not keen on wasting his time.
>>
>>51515366

Well, yeah, he's an autist, what did you expect

As for the dinner, he probably gets that same exact shit in every city. Eight people staring at him and snapping photos for internet points when he'd rather be jerkin it and relaxing.

I'd give you the exact same response
>>
>>51515366
He could've phrased his responses a bit better to not come across as an asshole but, honestly, I didn't really expect him to be super cool with it. He's clearly an introvert (likely even on the autism spectrum) and unexpected dinners out with multiple strangers would drain him (I know it would for me). Don't take it too personally, man.
>>
File: 1437966872001.png (232KB, 640x510px) Image search: [Google]
1437966872001.png
232KB, 640x510px
>>51517313
the face of GNU
>>
>>51517313
Not a homeless person I assure you
>>
File: reddit_gnu.png (111KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
reddit_gnu.png
111KB, 1920x1080px
Thank you based stallman
>>
>>51518417
>As for the dinner, he probably gets that same exact shit in every city. Eight people staring at him and snapping photos for internet points

More like 8 socially awkward faggots staring in silence at their plates, looking up occasionally to give him a nervous smile as they try to come up with a question to ask that sounds insightful. The best that he'd likely get is to be the singular focal point of the group and peppered with FSF questions he's answered a thousand times before.
OP, this is why he called it a "meeting." You weren't taking him out as a buddy, you were looking to corral him for an audience. You were probably under the impression that the group's worship would have been sufficient incentive, but it isn't. All that does is place one under a group's expectations to perform.
"Mr. Stallman, we'd like you to be our monkey for tonight." Playing the monkey is not relaxation, it's work. As an autist he would have been annoyed that you were too much of a self-absorbed cis white male norm to even begin to understand the scope of what you were asking.
>>
>>51519831
>he would have been annoyed that they were too much of a self-absorbed prick to even begin to understand the scope of what they were asking.

Him saying that to their faces would be a great victory for mankind. Communication skills can work wonders.
>>
>>51519917
Sorta hard to communicate to cis white males without them getting offended.
"muh gaymergate"
>>
Based Richard
>>
Paranoid fucker that destroy all linux potetnial for desktop like hdcp, codecs, binary blobls, hardware support,
>>
>>51519831
this
"Ms. Birtney/Emma, sadly we are 15 minutes wrong"
Just change the begining to any other actress or musican. F
>>
>>51515366
I must say I sympethize. Dinners are stressful things to do. I have eaten out, and with one, or two people that I know well it can be somewhat bearable, but with eight people? People that I do not know? I might accept out of courtesy, but from my experience, I can say confidently that I would be like the bullfighter in For Whom the Bell Tolls, miserable and terrified.

Then I would leave and shortly die. . .
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.