[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Considering to switch to Arch. How manyhours or so would it take

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1443104927072.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1443104927072.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Considering to switch to Arch. How manyhours or so would it take to get it to be like a normal functioning linux desktop? to watch shit, etc. I heard it can be pretty long.
>>
~30 minutes to install your first time
After that just install wm/de of choice and startx
>>
>>51514836

thanks for the reply, so following the beginners guide and installing xfce would take less than an hour?
>>
>>51514815
it only takes time if you do it manually, use architect/antergos/manjaro
>cue the arch purists to tell us that antergos and manjaro suck and there's no point to arch if you don't install manually
>>
If you can read numbered steps on a wiki you can install arch. It's a matter of following instructions and not a test of skills.
>>
>>51514815
you can use an install script to get it done faster than 30 mins if you want. The time all depends on your internet speed though.
>>
>>51514815
Architect Linux installs it for you
after that, it's actually one of the easiest distros to maintain
>>
File: 1344368440688.jpg (196KB, 590x443px) Image search: [Google]
1344368440688.jpg
196KB, 590x443px
Initial installation takes 30-60 minutes. Its just following steps off the wiki. If you install a de it will be working almost immediately after that. If you decide to be autistic like me and use just a wm it will take a lot longer to make the desktop fully functional.
>>
>>51514872
As long as you aren't retarded and can follow instructions, yes
>>
>>51514815
Best decision ever. Try in vm first. There are some gr8 youtube vids that will make it a breeze.
Protip: find Douglas Rumbaugh's video
Protip: Im not The guy mentioned above
>>
My first time took 8+ days because i didnt realize that i was supposed to create .xinitrc
I just thought it was supposed to show up with xorg-server. Dont be autistic. Create the file
>>
>>51514890
You're going to end up switching to Arch anyways, might as well jump right in. It'll be a bit easier if those distros partition the drive first, but it's still nowhere near as involved as people want to make it seem.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.