[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Domain Names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 500px-Touhou_-_Keine_&_Suika.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
500px-Touhou_-_Keine_&_Suika.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
Are all website names monopolized by companies?

Why can't I just cut out the middle man and just pay once? Why do I have to pay a monthly fee?

I'm really confused...
>>
File: Zvfun.jpg (111KB, 800x1143px) Image search: [Google]
Zvfun.jpg
111KB, 800x1143px
>>51510447
another thing.

Every time I try to read about it, I'm always directed to some hosting site instructing me on how to use their website. I just want bias free information.

pics unrelated obv
>>
Because of ICANN and every internet infrastructure has agreed to let them control the shit.

But no one is forcing you to use their DNS system. There are free P2P alternatives, like namecoin. But no one uses them.
>>
>>51510497
>has agreed to let them control the shit.
why does nobody challenge this? Maybe i'm just a naive faggot.
>>
https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/

https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/services/domains
>>
>>51510447
>monopolized by companies
huh?

it isn't like godaddy is the only domain registrar there is.
>>
>>51510543
You don't have to use ICANN's DNS root. It's just what most of the internet has decided on. There are others[1] available and you're free to use them if you like. Hell, you could start your own if you think you could convince people to use it.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_DNS_root
>>
>>51510497
It's not really free, but you have to pay once.
There are free options like GNS, though.
>>
>>51510724
But unless someone registered with the ICANN root decides to parent your root, nobody but your users will be able to see the names you register - and you get stuck in a catch-22 unless you're loaded.
>>
So what is 4chan hosted on? Does moot/hiro pay a yearly fee to renew the domain 4chan.org?
>>
>>51510816
yes
>>
>>51510806
Anyone that uses a DNS server that relies on your root will be able to see the names you register. For example, if you use one of the OpenNIC TLDs (like .fur, you faggot) then anyone that is using one of their servers will be able to resolve it. It just so happens that most people on the internet aren't using those DNS servers. There's a bunch of reasons for that, but it mostly boils down to ignorance or laziness. Most people use one of the following: A DNS server provided by their ISP, Google, Level 3, or OpenDNS. And all of those use ICANN's roots.
>>
>>51510938
That's not true, though. Your record can't get queried if nobody knows you're a DNS server, and nobody knows you're a DNS server if you don't tell anyone.
>>
>>51510816
what's a moot?
>>
>>51510816
https://who.is/whois/4chan.org
>>
>>51511051
No shit. I really don't even get what you're not understanding about this.

Anyone can run an authoritative DNS server. That includes authority over TLDs. You could make a DNS server that gives you ownership over the entire .com TLD if you wanted to. But you'd need to convince people to use it. Some people already run their own root DNS servers, like OpenNIC. Usually the only way to convince anyone to use your servers is to also include ICANN's zone information, which means these alternative roots just add other TLDs for people to use. However, you still need people to actually point their configuration towards your DNS servers to resolve any of those. And since most people flat out don't give a fuck, very few people bother.
>>
>>51511269
Hence >>51510806
>>
>>51510614
Is this good?
>>
Is there a guide on how to setup my own DNS server and set up my own topleveldomain?
>>
>>51511376
Install unbound, and then sudo service unbound start. Modify /etc/unbound/unbound.conf and add local-data entries, adding A or AAAA records to resolve to whatever IP you want (A is ipv4, AAAA is ipv6).
>>
>>51511204
>cloudflare
Are they any good?
>>
>>51511376
Start reading up on how to run an authoritative DNS server with BIND. It's not difficult, but there's a learning curve because some of the configuration is arcane.
>>
>>51511441
>being this new
>>
https://freedns.afraid.org/
>>
>>51511542
someone's college blacklisted my parent domain for cheese pizza, kek

So they couldn't use the site
>>
i always thought that domains were free and that you only had to pay for one if you wanted it hosted on another server.
>>
>>51511145
well meme'd friend.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.