[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux distros

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: linux-distro-logos.jpg (83KB, 540x491px) Image search: [Google]
linux-distro-logos.jpg
83KB, 540x491px
So I switched from Win 7 to Linux Mint KDE about half a year ago, so far I enjoy it tremendously. But what if I don't wanna move on to more serious distros, like...ever?

I mean, people are always harping on about Debian, Arch, Fedora and Gentoo and how eventually all Linux users must install them, making fun of *buntus and Mint as "babby's first distro" but I personally find these advanced distros boring and way too much work for very little reward.
>>
>>51504591
>But what if I don't wanna move on to more serious distros, like...ever?

Then don't.

However, I would recommend you at least install Arch from scratch once.

The install isn't too complicated, but you will learn a whole bunch about how things work, and how it's all put together.

You don't have to actively use it after, but it's a nice project to learn more.

I'm still on Mint Cinnamon, and very happy. It's stable, fast, and fills my needs. I don't see a reason to move on.
>>
>>51504613
>learn a whole bunch about how things work
>partition, filesystem, chroot, and arch-specific things
>>
>>51504639
I was thinking more in terms of WMs and DMs, but yes also partitioning and filesystems.

In the "complete" distros of Linux you don't really touch on these subjects at all.
>>
>>51504613
The install part is easy,
The most I learned from installing arch is partition managing.

Otherwise, its getting arch to work well is the hard part. For me, multiple drivers, DEs, and WMs were tested. DEs and WMs were sort of easy. It's the freaking drivers for my laptop. Anyways, if you have a different pc, you may have better luck.
>>
>>51504613
I installed Arch once. The only thing I learned was how to install Arch.

Then I got a job and needed a fully functional non-timesink OS with professional software available, so I wiped that SSD and installed OSX instead.

You people running Linux daily, what do you do for a living and what do you use your computer for?
>>
>>51504654
OP here
uh, well, not quite. I did extensive research on filesystems and partitioning before installing my Mint because I was installing it alongside my windows at first. So now I do have a vague idea about how to properly partition, what kind of filesystems there are etc. I really went in deep in this topic. Once I started questioning the Windows' way of doing things, it was like a whole new world opened up before me. I didn't even need a magic carpet! lol
>>
>>51504688
>You people running Linux daily, what do you do for a living and what do you use your computer for?

I work in IT.
I don't use my personal computer for work. My work laptop has Windows on it, set up through the company, with their domain etc.

On my spare time I usually use my computer for Skype, IRC, Internet and Battle.net games, all of which runs flawlessly through Wine. I also use my computer for basic accounting in my personal budget.

Linux just gives me better workflow in my daily tasks. It's easier to automate and customize. And by customize I don't mean ricing, I'm thinking more in the sense of binding my own keys the exact way I want, without much hassle.
>>
>>51504688
>what do you do for a living
I'm a NEET, sort of. I just have to hand in my thesis, then I can graduate from College. But I have ADHD so it's taking...well, years. I think I wrote like almost 10 pages last year and this one- only 30 more and i'm finally free!
>what do you use your computer for?
Downloading music, films, tv shows. Enjoying those things later. Chatting with friends. Watching youtube. Shitposting on 4chan. Fapping. Shamelessly reading fanfiction. Occasionally trying to learn Italian. That's about it really.
>>
>>51504769
Oh, also another thing I use Linux for regularly at home is the fact that Linux is a lot better at communicating with each other than Windows or OSX is.

For example, I have a computer connected to my TV and surround sound system. My desktop can then use Pulseaudio to send sound through the network to my mediaPC, and play my music through the better speakers without having to mess too much with the mediaPC. With Clementine and the mobile app for my tablet, this is a great way to play music when my friends are over.

I also use this for when I want to watch a video or movie with an online friend over Skype, but I want to watch it on the TV/Couch, which is far away from my desktop. I just tell my mediaPC to play the file, and send the sound to my desktop, which will go to my headset where I can also hear my friend talking. This way I won't have to hang up the call and connect my headset to the mediaPC.

I also find that NFS works better than Windows Shared Folders. On Windows, I often had troubles authenticating and creating permanent network storages. On Linux this just werks.

These are of course problems that are very specific to me personally, but Linux has a solution for all of these little things.
>>
>>51504591
The *buntus are a great start after switching from Windows.

Arch is just manually configuring the details of your OS, you build it from scratch.

No need to try the other OS if you really don't find the need to tinker with Linux.
>>
>>51504613
Don't trust this dude.

>>51504591
OP, install Gentoo, I'm not even memeing, but the Gentoo installation, where you build up your system from a stage 3 image, taught me more about Linux than ANY other Distro did, and I used most of them out there.

If you're into learning, use Gentoo or LFS, if you're into productivity, go for LMDE or Fedora
>>
>>51504591
It's not necessary to switch at all. It's just that a lot of people come to Linux to get away from the Windows-like experience of being handheld through everything and being shielded from what's going on under the hood, which happens a lot on Ubuntu and friends.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.