[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why should I use C++ or C as opposed to Java? No memes, just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: index.jpg (5KB, 288x154px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 288x154px
Why should I use C++ or C as opposed to Java? No memes, just want to know what I am getting into here.
>>
Learn C or you will forever be doomed as as shitty programmer
>>
>>51495343
C for drivers, kernels, libraries, low hardware access

C++ for large complex programs that make use of templates and OOP in a positive way. Can be desktop apps or server backend shit.

Java for Android, some embedded stuff, servers backend, middleware, can be used for desktop apps but not exactly super friendly although can be alright for a shitty gui app that runs on many platforms.
>>
>>51495343
You should not use C instead of java, however you can replace java with c++
>>
Just spent a year doing java and it helped me understand c++ an python is also nice and easy. Learn one and your going to pick up another with ease if your a hard worker and/or intelegnent.
>>
>>51495343
with c you get a feel for how the computer works
with c++ but especially java everything is abstracted, it has nothing really to do with the computer its all just airy fairy mystical magical data structures and classes that lets you make some pretty complicated stuff without necessarily understanding how anything actually works.
>>
What do you want to programming?
>>
>>51495435
sums it all up nicely
>>
Aside from lower level hardware or embedded stuff where C/C++ is a natural fit:

You shouldn't, unless you're doing something that requires every little bit of performance and you can take the time to optimize your C / C++.

Outside of working directly with hardware or embedded systems, C++ offers little advantages, and comes with serious baggage.

The trade-offs generally aren't worth it.

If you have a serious case of autism / special-snowflake-syndrome and decide that you really must use C++, use QT.
>>
>>51495435
this.
>>
>>51495343
If you have to ask that question, then you shouldn't be using C/C++.
>>
>>51495994

It might be a douchebag statement, but there's a kernel of truth to this.
>>
>>51496067
>facts hurt my feelings

You are what is wrong with the modern world.
>>
>>51496196
First of all, he didn't say anything factual, he offered an opinion.

Secondly, it's called "not being an asshole", and you should probably try it sometime; you'll get further in life.
>>
>>51495464
c++ CAN abstract things away. It can still do what C can do.
>>
>>51495435
seconding
>>
>>51495343
neither, use go
>>
>>51496257
I already beat your shitty life game. It's easy when you're not a little bitch that cries over facts.
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>51495464
Java is runs on a virtual machine - truely everything is abstracted. This is not the case for C++ where you still can translate most of the features in one sentence speaking C-language... If you don't understand C++ then yes it might appear as magic. But it's really just C on steroids.
>>
>>51495435

This x2
>>
>>51495343
>>51496303
Maybe Lua is the answer?
>>
>>51495343
Embrace the Zen of Scheme, anon.
>>
>>51495435
why use java for backend?
>>
>>51497764
it runs everywhere so it mostly doesnt matter what OS the server is running you can usually deploy your java program without issue. with some jvm voodoo you can get an application running at like 99% of similar c++ or c code for most things. for the most part execution speed in java isnt the biggest issue but i/o

a god tier jvm admin (devops, sysadmin, senior dev) can earn upwards of £300k in London for banks and medical companies.

people like to hate on java but in reality like 90% of all code is very similar in what it does (ie. it is boring create/read/update/delete kind of jobs). you get data from A do some magic/combine it with B and output C. it is all the same thing really doesnt matter what language you use it gets pretty boring. some people have exciting jobs as programmers but easily 90% of programmers (even all the rockstars on /g/) write the same shit every day. java just pays the most generally.
>>
>>51498152
just to add to the "it runs anywhere" thing. this is really cool if you sell something. back in the 2000s everyone wanted to sell you something you run internally, now it is more about selling the service (ie the cloud) but java made it fucking awesome to sell your product to *everyone* as it didnt matter what platform they worked on. did it run the jvm? fuck yeah sell sell sell!

java still has a place in modern cloud setup those as we still have lots of different OS in the cloud world. MS finally realised this why is why they are trying to make Azure and .NET more open to non-MS stuff.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.