[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some help /g/. I work as the computer tech at a small

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: Dell_XPS_One_CIT_GRUP_2.jpg (20KB, 600x385px) Image search: [Google]
Dell_XPS_One_CIT_GRUP_2.jpg
20KB, 600x385px
I need some help /g/. I work as the computer tech at a small tech shop and I'm out of solutions for this Dell XPS One A2420. This guy already spent a bunch of money on it and I am not planning on giving him a refund.

Problem is the computer will not boot when left off over night or left on for a long period of time.
>When the computer is left on for a while, computer screen turns off and fans rev up really high (indicating heat issue.)
>Cannot turn computer back on unless I unplug the machine.. remove CMOS battery. Hold power button for 10 seconds to remove any voltage still in the system. Reseat CMOS battery. plug back in.
>It turns on every time I do this.
>Regular shut downs and turning it back on work normally.
>only doesn't work when it's off for several hours.

Like I said. I'm out of solutions. I also did try using a different CMOS battery. Same issue.
Anyone got anything?
>>
Also just to note: I did update the BIOS. I'm prepared to use an older version of the BIOS. I have not tried that yet. But I'm hoping maybe there is a better solution instead of me just grasping at straws.
>>
>>51489319
>>51489339
have you read through the service manual?

How old of a machine?

Could need replacement of the CPU fan, or thermal paste / grease on the CPU.

Could also be a faulty heat sensor.

Fuck these all in ones... I hate working on them.
>>
>>51489431
whoops, sorry anon, forgot to spoon feed you with the link

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-one-24_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf
>>
>>51489441
>needs pc help
>is an asshole when others try to offer it
Good luck buddy.
>>
>>51489507
okay, either something changed here, or you're new.

Nobody just gets answers... everything comes with a spoonful of vitriol.
>>
>>51489507
Oh, also anon, that was me replying to my own post... I forgot to put the link in there too...
>>
OP here. Thanks guys I will go ahead and read through the manual on the off chance this is a common occurrence. Other suggestions highly appreciated and I don't mind posting OC.
>>
>>51489761
the manual should be read through so you can team-down the computer and see if there's any physical or obvious issues.

There's also this

http://www.dell.com/Support/Article/us/en/04/SLN265689

But that's mostly entry level IT support shit.

Have you even full reinstalled windows yet?
>>
>>51489825
I did + a new hard drive. Computer's HDD was very hot running at about 60 C and also had some bad sectors. So it was on its way out for hard drives. Installed the new hard drive plus OS hoping it would fix the issue. Temperature is down for the HDD but still exhibiting the same problem.
>>
>>51489891
It's a 4+ year old machine?

Very possible whatever material they used for CPU -> Cooler heat transfer has dried up / gone bad / ded.
>>
Might be a faulty motherboard, then.
>>
>>51489931
>>51489932

Yes the computer came installed with windows vista. But parts run fine. What's frustrating is all it takes is a removal of the cmos and replace and the computer boots fine. Runs for hours. So I'm so frustrated in thinking it's a serious hardware issue if it's just needing to reseat the cmos battery to fix the issue. Jesus I'm tearing my hair out over this crap.
>>
OP here. Something I noticed was that S.M.A.R.T. capability was disabled on this windows 7 machine as well as a built in intel speedstep tech (tm) - which is cpu speed controller by OS. I don't know... hoping maybe one of those will fix this very very weird issue.
>>
>>51490412
S.M.A.R.T. is only for shitty classroom projectors.
>>
>>51489431
You're so right to hate on all-in-one PCs. Too many of them have given us so many issues with the performance and hardware problems that are often close to impossible to diagnose. To tell you the truth our computer shop is considering denying all all-in-one pcs because often times we end up losing money because of how often people return to have the same issue persist, involving warranty work.
>>
>>51490513
Most modern computers are using S.M.A.R.T. technology for current hard drives. I am just trying to rule out that perhaps because this is a really strange all-in-one pc, that maybe it would cause an issue with it booting properly.
>>
>>51490516
same goes for printer/scanner/fax... fuck those.

Spend 400-500 bucks, get a laser color printer, and be happy.

Buy a 50 dollar bother fax machine.

Get a tray-fed scanner (idk which...)

Convergence and the inability to repair our own electronics is so fucking frustrating.
>>
bump any other suggestions? I mean I am applying a fix now but have no idea if it will work. If it doesnt I will definitely be applying any fix anyone can give me.
>>
holy shit you made this same dumb thread last week. fuck off, if you have to come here for stupid advice you dont deserve to have your job in the first place
>>
>>51490787
Honestly man I fix tons and tons of computers daily. Shit comes in, and it's out same day or next day. I have to say I probably handle server configurations, RAID setups and backups along with networking to the simple hardware soldering. I will go back and forth to fix someone's computer and generally do not have difficulty fixing computers. Just looking for suggestions at this point as I can't really find anything on google with this type of issue.
>>
New psu?
>>
>>51490865
I thought this at first. But I ruled it out simply because the computer works fine when you turn it on after the cmos battery reseat.
>>
>>51490880
Mobos fucked
>>
>>51490042
At this point I'd be looking at first replacing the thermal paste (if it looks like CPU temps are a problem).

If not, is it possible the mainboard is warped / cracking? Sounds like it's had temperature problems in the past, could be that the heating / cooling down over long periods could be fucking with the mobo.
>>
>>51490880
>>51490920
Another thought as well - few years back I was looking at a friend's XPS and was surprised to discover it used a proprietary PSU & the PSU I'd scoped out would likely have caused damage to the system. Any work been done on the PC before that this could be the culprit?
>>
>>51490920
I will do this just to rule it out. I have not yet done this to the CPU but I did do this to the onboard video card. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>51490965
Probably worth running it for a few hours and monitoring CPU temps first, good thermal paste is expensive, unless you've got it lying round the shop. Still might be worth doing just to rule it out like you say.
>>
>>51490989
Yeah I got it lying around. Will try it. I did also monitor CPU temperatures and the video card would get super hot because of the really shitty air flow on the system. Fans are working fine. I installed speedfan to rule out the issue and it still did the same thing. But I will try the thermal paste. could be that.
>>
File: tWhvQRD.gif (1018KB, 245x191px) Image search: [Google]
tWhvQRD.gif
1018KB, 245x191px
Bumping for interest
>>
>>51491025
if it's not the paste / CPU over heating, it's a fucked mobo, and given the manufacture, lack of warranty and age of the system, you're due for a replacement.
>>
>>51491025
>>51490961
A quick google of the PSU situation seems to imply that Dell use a proprietary PSU in the XPS One A2420. It's probably worth checking to see whether the stock PSU has been replaced at some point with an incompatible standard ATX PSU.
>>
>>51491068
the psu is shaped specially for this machine. No way it's a different PSU.
>>
Definitely crusted over. Holy hell. heres a pic. Maybe it will help. Maybe.
>>
>>51491383
worth a shot

I hope this fixes the problem, for no reason other than my ego (knowing that the last 15 years of working in IT didn't go to waste!)
>>
>>51491461
>>51491383
Please post results, I'm on the edge of my seat here anon
>>
>>51489319
I would be looking at the mobo. Check things like jumpers on the mobo are in the correct position. Definitely sounds faulty though, try booting the machine with minimal connected (hdd disconnected as well) and see if you can power it off and on again.
>>
File: 2015-11-23 13.52.44.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-23 13.52.44.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Now the computer boots just fine if I remove and reseat the cmos battery. But more issues are there when I can't get the computer to boot overnight. I'll be inspecting temperatures today. This is my thermal paste application you can see here.
>>
>>51491843
way too much thermal paste you dumb nigger.
>>
>>51491843
Sorry anon, you've done it wrong.

Reference point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk
>>
>>51491906
>>51491884
that video is so funny. I laugh at it every time.
>>
File: 1.png (48KB, 1035x722px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
48KB, 1035x722px
OP here. So just so you know this video card gets hot as shit because of there being the complete absence of a fan over it and just has the cpu fan and psu fan running with idle air just wafting slowly past the heatsync. I did change out that thermal paste as well and yes it turns out it is completely normal that it's that hot. anyway the CPU is much cooler.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.