[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, I'm getting a new laptop and have all but settled

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

File: 61OeWW+yU8L._SL1500_.jpg (66KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
61OeWW+yU8L._SL1500_.jpg
66KB, 1500x1000px
Hey /g/,
I'm getting a new laptop and have all but settled on the Lenovo Thinkpad t420.

>i5
>8gigs
>Thinkpad
>Thinkpad
>$320 Refurbished

The only issue I've been able to think of is the lack of USB 3.
While not a complete showstopper this CAN be potentially annoying. I was wonder what you /g/uy had in mind. Work around or ignore. Or, going forward is USB 3 going to be so important that my machine is all but useless?
>>
You sound like an idiot, tbqh.
I recommend you get a mac.
You're gonna come back here in a week complaining about thinkpads because they're not as nice as macbooks.
>>
>>51482314
>>>/b/
>Go away
>>
>>51482275
If I were in the market for a thinkpad refurb, I would definitely go with an FSF-certified libreboot model, unless I intended to install libre/coreboot myself.
Basically since you know you want an old Thinkpad you have an opportunity to secure your freedom that you shouldn't pass up.
>>
I have a t420. It works excellently. Just gets a bit hot on graphics related tasks.
>>
>>51482434
The most I really am gonna do with this thing(beyond regular pleb crap) is dualboot or VM some linux because im familiar with the shell but the libreboot stuff sound interesting. Whats the tldr? Pros cons?
>>
>>51482467
thast not the much of an issue. I'm just wondering how much im going to regret not getting a laptop with USB3.
>>
>>51482541
Just get the express card to usb 3.0 adapter.
>>
keep saving your allowance and buy something newer.

not having usb 3 will fucking blow. i am pissed i bought an x220 without usb 3 every day
>>
>>51482275
I'm a Thinkpad man myself, but you can get Elitebook 8460p laptops for DIRT cheap right now, and they have the same specs as the x20 series Thinkpads but have USB 3.0.

Just bought a ton of them at work, they're definitely solid machines.
>>
>$320 Refurbished

Fuck that, that's like $150 too much. I can buy a Dell Latitude E6420 off eBay with better specs and more RAM for ~$200 and it's vastly more capable and expandable then T420 is.

Hell, I own one right now that I bought for $100 a year ago, it still has 13 months left on the Dell CompleteCare warranty and it was an eBay purchase. Transferred the warranty to my name after I got it - I could throw it off my balcony into traffic and watch it get run over into a bazillion fucking pieces, call Dell as it's happening and they'd have a replacement machine at my door (not to my apartment building but to my fucking door itself) by Tuesday 5PM local time if not sooner.

ThinkPads are nice, sure, especially the older ones but they just can't touch Dell Latitudes.

I've owned over 40 ThinkPads since the day they were first introduced and I still own two 701c models (the Butterfly keyboard one) in near mint condition but Latitudes just fucking tear them new ones anymore.
>>
>>51482275
>no USB 3.0
>what is an express card

saging for OP is retarded
>>
>>51482527
tldr you could have access to all the code that makes your computer work, ie you could have the option of knowing what your computer is doing.
What that means practically is up to you, but it's cool in principle, and maybe even more ethical. You can read up on that at fsf.org.
99.99% of computer users don't even come close to that proposition, which in reality is kind of like buying a car with full knowledge that there are weird gadgets and machines in it that you can never look at or access but that are definitely burning extra gas and might track you, slow your car down over time, cause it to break, open the locks for a stranger, etc.
You should look into it if you find this interesting, I think it is.
>>
>>51482810
I did not know that was a thing...but now i do
Thak you so much. Between that and an SSD I'll all good
>>
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=USB+3+Express+Card
>>
>>51482827
Other than that? Build quality. long term longevity?
>>
>>51482434
Can't tell if this is bait or not desu
>>
>>51482848
>>51482929
And youre sure that they can match or raise Thinkpads in long term longevity? My Father has been in IT for 20 years. He's seen company issue laptops come and go but nothing stuck across all the places he consulted like the think pads. Quite literally legendary....The latitudes compare?
>>
>>51482983
refer to
>>51482380
>>
>>51483143
On a BIOS level tho? I mean I can understand that If security is one of your utmost concerns(lets be honest they ARE watching) but even for a SU it seems a little overt. I'll still look into it tho. Thanks. Didnt know this was a thing
>>
>>51483295
Been on 4chin for years now....stil dont know who/what desu is
>>
>>51482275
what's the big deal with usb 3? does it really make that much of a difference? I have usb 2 and 3 ports on my computer and there's literally no difference between them
>>
>>51483586
same and the only time I notice is when a hideous bloatware dialogue pops up to warn me that "my device could be faster" because I plugged into the wrong port because it doesn't matter
>>
>>51483205
yes SSD and express card makes them solid for another 4-5 years. then you can see how things go in 2020's.
>>
Have any of you actually used one of these ExpressCard->USB 3.0 adapters? They are fucking shit. The card can easily unlock and pop out when you push the cable in, because the whole mechanism to unlock the card is to push it in. Also, the card can sometimes just come out when you are removing the cable. Really, it's more trouble than it's worth, unless you have the computer somewhere where you don't move it much, and keep the USB 3.0 device constantly connected.
>>
>>51485667

You're supposed to connect the cable to the card BEFORE YOU PLUG IT IN, STUPID.
>>
>>51483893
>>51483586
You must be using some crap-ware version. its not usb 3 unless the port has 5 contacts (instead of the 4 in 2.0). And It makes a biiiiiig difference.
>>
The fuck you want USB 3.0 for? Just transfer over wifi or wait a little.

Sure is nice to quickly move a huge file but if the machine doesn't have it then just adapt.
>>
Semi-related: Why do companies force shit GPUs that aren't any better than the integrated GPU in laptops?
>>
>>51488158
beacause
>i5
>8gig memory
>Nvidia whatever teh fuck
>1200 "gaming" laptop
and
>i5
>8gig memory
>iGPU
>699 Business laptop
>>
>>51488158
It's just that integrated CPUs have gotten extremely better with each update, and money
>>
UPDATE
>Its a 1366 * 768 display........
>shit.jpg
>>
>>51489310
found another one
>smaller HDD but replacing with SSD anyway
>Less RAM but its way cheaper so a RAM upgarde is A-OK
>has a 1600*900 display which mean I wont kill myself
>>
>>51489310
>buy X220T with 1366x768 screen
>assume it'll be okay since the screen is only 12.5" anyway
Boy was I wrong. That resolution is simply unusable.
>>
>>51489641
Get a t430 or a t430s if you really want usb3
>>
>>51489728
I'm digging the express card. Plus I DO get eSATA. So between those 2 things i think ill be fine.
>>
>how about abuse?
What kind of beating can these things take. I rarely but almost definitely spill things on my stuff. and what about the chasis it self?
>>
>>51492666
really? one self bump and im back to page one?
>>
grabbed one fairly recently with a 1600x900 screen, it's fucking excellent. Don't really use external storage all that much though, so the USB thing isn't a huge issue for me. Plus if you're looking to get more space out of the thing you can fairly easily get one of those ultrabay hard drive cages.
>>
>actually buying a memepad

Tip top fucking cück
>>
>>51490600

what kind of filthy ogre are you? take better care of your stuff jeez
>>
>>51493410
I will.....b-but unforeseen cluster fucks
>>
>>51493361
>shit posting
i would tell you to fuck fuck off but youre probably getting fucked in ur arse whole rite nao
>>
>>51482275
>Lenovo
Have you not fucking kept up with the news? LITERAL BIOS ROOTKITS.
>>
>>51494650
>libreboot
just get your own bios
>>
>>51494650
You mean Lenovo Service Engine? It was never on any Thinkpad. Nor was Superfish. They know better than to fuck with their business customers. It's the cheapass little-to-no-profit-margin Walmart laptops they put it on.

>have T440p
>no Superfish
>no LSE
>all prepackaged Lenovo software is unobtrusive and really easy to remove
>fresh Windows install doesn't include any of it
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.