[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a CS major. What are interesting jobs (not webdev, not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: PowerSetLatticeAjoinC.jpg (10KB, 380x320px) Image search: [Google]
PowerSetLatticeAjoinC.jpg
10KB, 380x320px
I'm a CS major. What are interesting jobs (not webdev, not codemonkeying) you can get?
>>
>>51469546
Why would you take career advice from 4chan?

I work as an embedded software engineer. I would rather be a web developer.
>>
>>51469571
Are you the anon that works with car automation or something like that in SF?
>>
>>51469643
No, I work for a horrible company that makes network probes and real-time video-content analysing for digital TV providers.

But in my understanding and talking to embedded devs at other companies, pretty much the entire embedded industry is similar to the horrors I have to endure every day, at least in my part of the world (northern Europe).
>>
>>51469571
Trust me, you wouldn't.
>>
>>51469671
Yes, I would. I've worked as a web dev in the past, and not only was the pay and benefits way higher, my options were also far less limited.
>>
>>51469546
maybe IT-consulting
>>
>>51469546
75% of software jobs out there are webdev or have some web component. doesn't matter if you work for small/mid sized shops or huge megacorps.

better get used to it, that's just how things are going to be in mainstream development until webdev is deprecated by <insert shiny new tech paradigm here>.

it's always been like this btw. in the 90s it was shitty ass fat clients written in c++, but most of it was mindless drone-work, too.

if you want something different, be prepared to fight over what's left on the job market. for every 10 webdev jobs, there's maybe one in embedded systems.

if you're thinking of making money of linux/kernel development, be prepared to be literally 10x better than your peers.
>>
>>51469670
Well if you can do that, then being a webdev is hardly a stretch. To put things in perspective, I started learning Javascript and Node last year, and I've already found good employment at a startup.

My work schedule is comforting most of the time, I get paid a very decent wage and it leaves me enough time to learn and work on my own projects. I'm shooting for a network security career down the line! But I've still a ways to go.

It's the kind of job that you don't want to spend the rest of your life doing, but it makes for a good bridge to other paths since it has such a low entry requirement.
>>
>>51469747
>It's the kind of job that you don't want to spend the rest of your life doing, but it makes for a good bridge to other paths since it has such a low entry requirement.

software engineering can be very fulfilling if you get to do all parts involved. the pay can be very good, too after some years of proven experience. it's just that most shops see developers as replaceable cogs in their big machine and treat them like morons.

if all you get to do is decipher and implement retarded scrum user stories, then you're going to be mentally dead after some years. my advice is: stay the fuck away from corporate environments unless they pay you significant money and only then do it for a limited amount of time.
>>
>>51469747
See >>51469684

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a "comfortable" job. I want to do challenging and hard things, but I don't want to work for a crap company with colleagues who can't write code for shit as is now.

Also, the reason I quit and got into embedded was because I was getting more and more labelled as a "web developer" and I thought I wanted to do something else, more related to what I did for my master's... But the shit I have to endure in this industry is definitively not worth it.

The entire field of embedded programming is filled with retards who can't write code for shit (for example, have no idea about 64-bit integer division being painfully slow on ARM because fucking 64 bit), have no clue about best practices for software engineering (for example using source version systems as an backward way of doing backups), but these companies can pay you shit pay and abuse the fuck out of you because the competition over the few available jobs are insanely high and for some reason embedded development is hyped as fuck.
>>
>>51469833
>The entire field of embedded programming is filled with retards who can't write code for shit

it's not just embedded systems. these people are everywhere and it won't do you any good to be so judgemental. it's just a fact you have to learn to deal with. unless you can run your own company with your own product, you will be exposed to people who are just doing this for the pay check.
>>
>>51469890
>it's not just embedded systems. these people are everywhere and it won't do you any good to be so judgemental. it's just a fact you have to learn to deal with. unless you can run your own company with your own product, you will be exposed to people who are just doing this for the pay check.
None of the other two companies I worked in before this were like this.

In normal development jobs, people get fired for being incompetent. In embedded however, people can be utterly incompetent throughout the entire company and the company will still make money because they make some sort of niche device that another company (or multiple other companies) have come to rely on, despite it being utterly crap.

If your web dev application company does web dev shitty, then your client will find another company that makes a similar application.

If your niche embedded company makes a shitty device, then nothing happens because they are most likely the only ones to make this device with a specific set of half-functioning features that you need (which is why you bought their products and services in the first place).
>>
>>51469939
>>51469890
Also, the entire field of embedded development is filled with people with EE background who can't program for shit and never had to learn proper software engineering.

Quite ironic, because they seem to make pretty decent hardware actually.
>>
>>51469546
Software development or Information Security type jobs
>>
Big Data
>>
>>51472135
Most AI jobs require a degree in maths
>>
>>51469546
Switch to engineering. Problem solved.
>>
>>51472578

Drawing UML diagrams is even less relevant than algorithms and data structures.
>>
>>51469546
Playing cs is not a real degree you kek
>>
>>51474699
What an original joke

Kek'd hard m8
>>
>>51469546
you can become a leet haxor like you always wanted
>>
>>51472578

>working for 60 hours a week counting beans with job prospects of becoming a project manager to count beans and manage more bean counters

Software is much better m8. No overhead, no stupid paperwork or regulations, no crazy working hours. You get to sit down for 35-40 hours a week, write code, and get overpaid compared to actual engineers

try working a real engineering job for a week and see how bad software is then
>>
>>51469694

t. Rajit Kumar
>>
>>51475558
Sarcasm is strong with this one senpai
>>
>>51472578
Cocksucking isn't an interesting job
>>
Electronic medical records.

Example: a doctor's anamnesis (the process of collecting medical history) is a recursive procedure.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.