[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Perfect Setups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4

File: image-20150902-6714-163lw5t.png (22KB, 1183x1183px) Image search: [Google]
image-20150902-6714-163lw5t.png
22KB, 1183x1183px
Apple: iMac or MacBook + iPhone + iPad + Apple Watch + Apple TV
Windows: PC + Windows Phone + Surface + Microsoft Watch + Xbox One

Google: Chromebook + some shit android phone + some shit android tablet + shit watch + chromecast

So clearly going all google is like being a homeless person in the 1990s. So how do you guys mix and match in a way that you can be as connected as a full apple or full microsoft setup? Do you guys just do everything in your browsers?
>>
>>51467621
My setup:
MSI Ghost pro 4k
MS surface pro 3
Samsung S6 edge
Pebble watch
>>
>Custom built desktop PC
>Macbook 2010 white
>Moto X Pure
>jailbroken iPhone 5
>>
Ubuntu (ThinkCentre M58) + Nokia 515 (Black) + Swatch (Black) + Yandex
>>
Ubuntu + ProtonMail + Blackphone = <3
>>
>>51468160
>>51468224
>>51468249
can you give a little insight as to what software you run and how you get everything talking to each other. My sister has an iPhone and an iPad, but she will never switch from windows i don't think. I'm thinking her setup could be more efficient if she gradually moved towards android or even windows phone/surface
>>
>>51468266
Well, I usually just have itunes on both my laptop and desktop, then for Android, I have the chrome remote desktop, and Bluetooth
>>
>>51468266
Well, my Nokia phone is a "dumbphone" so talking to my other electronic products is something in which i do not concern myself. I use this mobile telephone for calling other mobile telephones and sending SMS messages in the "old-fashioned" manner.

As for Ubuntu and Yandex, I use the Yandex SaaS programs within the Yandex browser (Beta for Linux) because FireFox is becoming ridiculous with its new updates (why pocket, in browser instant messenger nobody uses, and an easy viewer when I have uBlock Origin?).

I don't need my copy of Ubuntu ( loaded on a desktop tower: ThinkCentre M58, Core2Duo, 2GB RAM) to communicate with Yandex at the moment. I'll probably install Yandex Disk's client for Linux (GNU/Linux), or whatever they have that is of benefit.

I do not own other electronic products from Ubuntu's line.
>>
>>51468338
yeah she needs office and stuff so linux is not an option even if it didn't suck dick in general
>>
>>51468447
The system only seems inferior because Windows had been the standard in computing for a time, hence the software availability. People tend to be accustomed to aspects of certain software as well.

LibreOffice has come a long way. It can still be improved; though, it's impressive and quite capable now.

There needs to be more development in certain areas but for the most part needs have been satisfied quite throughly.

One needs only to search the repository.

Windows and OS X are ugly in terms of design and performance.

GNU/Linux, given resources, could be the dominant choice for everyday users of computers.

It only seems as if it greatly "sucks" merely because of of perceived deficiencies by the masses. This sentiment is then channeled through mutual agreement until it's no longer based on reality.

This is not to say it does not lack in of itself. I only highlight the common fallacies given unto us, users of GNU/Linux, derived from popular opinion.

T-tah, tah.
>>
>>51469087
she doesn't want to switch from windows, or she would get a mac. Linux is shit. go away
>>
>>51469096
Who is the slut you keep whining about? You did not mention her in your gay thread post.
>>
>>51467621
lol the watches.yea u aint got a perfekt setup til u get these SCHWEET watches! gay, gay, gay. also implying having a windows phone is better than having an android aaAAAAHHAHHAHAA
>>
>>51469096
This place is not your blog, faggot. Back to Reddit.
>>
Gentoo + m9 + 32gb touchpad with CM12+ Xbox running Gentoo with every console game that came out before Xbox and all Xbox titles + steamOS rig

Because all of it runs either Linux or Android, the integration is seamless.
>>
Linux: PC + Ubuntu Touch/ android Aosp + Ubuntu Touch + Raspberry pi / orange arm
Everything run on my own private cloud with streaming, vnc and access from everywhere in the world.
>>
>>51468447
I just use the online versions of office.
>>
>>51469224
web apps are shit
>>
No laptop, but I use pushbullet and Gapps to make devices communicate with each other.
>>
Windows 10 Desktop, rMBP 2015, Huawei Honor 6 Plus, No tablet as no need for one, Motorola Moto G Smartwatch that I don't even use now.

Have mightytext installed on phone and macbook to allow me to manage my messages from macbook, will probably install PC Client too at some stage.
I feel like iOS and OS X probably work well together but I fucking detest iOS.
Windows phone does not have some apps I would need either.
>>
>>51469362
i use pushover, but only to see what my NAS is up to. All my apple devices talk to each other by default. Is Gapps google apps? on your desktop do you just use the websites, or do you link it with outlook or thunderbird or something?
>>
>>51469388
do you use any stock OSX Apps?
>>
Thinks x220 with Linux mint.
Built PC mint and windows. 2500k, 970 build
S5
Chromecast
>>
>>51469468
what do you use the 970 for in linux? In linux do you mainly do everything in your web browser?
>>
>>51469417
I use iTunes (because they gave me 3 months free apple music and that means 3 months I don't have to pay for spotify), Safari, Notes, Mail, Built in photo viewer, Photobooth to take pictures using webcam and Final Cut Pro X.

Outside of that my other apps really are just a few games, some chat client, VLC and chrome in case Safari doesn't do something for some reason (Had a weird instance where I couldn't download a picture from fotor with safari for some reason).
>>
>>51469403
Gapps = Google apps. I just use chromium. Syncs everything nicely.
>>
This excited new/namefag is really getting on my nerves now
>>
>>51469513
do you like apple music? It's a bit rough around the edges. I never know what it's going to show me when i right click something. Curated playlists need to take centre stage too but they are tucked away a bit at the moment
>>
>>51469540
It needs some polish yeah. When i was making a playlist if i clicked the context menu for one song too soon after the other it wouldn't show me my playlists. It also has a tendency to just jump to pages that don't really make sense all the time.
Audio quality is noticeably (even to my untrained ears) better than spotify. AAC Codec does a much nicer job of separating left and right audio and has a great level of clarity than the OGG Vorbis codec that spotify uses.
It was actually the very first thing I noticed when I started listening to it and I'm not really an audiophile by any means of the word.
>>
>>51469611
apple music is awesome on the iPhone though. I wish the made a new seperate app for it on OSX And Windows
>>
PC: Windows 10
Laptop 2-1: Windows 10
Tablet: Android L + Pushbullet + Active dig. and stylus for notes
Phone: Rooted Android L (CM 12.1) + Pushbullet
>>
>>51469653
There's one for Android and it works Ok but is definately lacking in features vs spotify for mobile.

Also one big gripe I have overall is the lack of lyric plugin support for iTunes.

I love the lyrics on spotify and miss it terribly with Apple Music
>>
>>51469518
This, Chrom* + Pushbullet syncs everything just fine
>>
>>51469707
music match on iPhone will do lyrics. all the mac apps that used to do lyrics pulled the feature due to legal threats or something. Now you have to manually find the lyrics and enter them into each song. useless
>>
Custom built desktop PC running both Windows 7 and Arch Linux

Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga running W10 (I'd be on openSUSE if touch wasn't so fucking terrible on linux)

old Dell Latitude I'm using as a server, running Windows Server 2016

Some Kyocera memephone running android 4.4.2, rooted and heavily riced.

I do everything worth doing on my desktop PC (I switch kinda back and forth between W7 and Arch). My laptop is for gaming on the go and reading and other such things when I'm away from my PC. Latitude is for file storage. Phone is for web browsing when I'm waiting in line at the grocery store or playing music while commuting (don't really do much else with it).
>>
>>51469736
Yeup. This is my main gripe. if Musicmatch can go onto the iPhone then why not into iTunes on OS X and Windows.
Other gripe is that iTunes is total shite on windows. Hung for a minute solid several times for me yesterday.
>>
File: DSC_0032.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0032.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
3 year old Hp laptop that I got for free(Windows 7 and chakra OS) + chuwi hi8(dual boot chinky tablet) +nice looking dumbwatch + Sexperia z1 soon to be blackberry priv.
>>
>>51469779
what do you do in linux that you can't do in Windows? at a certain point, any small benefit isn't worth it if you have to restart your computer all the time into compartmentalised OSes
>>
>>51469863
I use linux as my main webbrowsing OS as it's WAY faster than Windows, so it's actually the opposite for me - every time I want to do something in Windows I have to ask if it's worth the reboot. Usually it isn't, because there's very few things outside of gaming that you can't do in Linux.

LibreOffice, your favorite web browser and your favorite text editor will let you do about 85% of the things you'd normally do in Windows. Everything else almost certainly has some form of alternative.

As for what I can do in Linux that I CAN'T do in Windows, the answer is, for me, efficient programming. C++ programming is a bitch on Windows because you either have to use Visual Shitudio's fucked up compiler or MinGW, which doesn't have a command line form to my knowledge and thus requires using a shitty IDE like Qt, which is bloated as fuck. On Linux I can just have a terminal open on one screen and Emacs on another and run into absolutely no issues.
>>
>>51469905
>your
>your
>you
No they are actually completely useless to me. I'm sure they work great for some people though.
>>
>>51469930
So you don't use web browsers, text editors, or office software?

What the fuck do you do with your computer then!?
>>
>>51470006
no i'm saying libraoffice and anything else on linux for that matter is completely useless to me
>>
>>51470023
How is Libreoffice useless? There's nothing it can't do that MS Office can, with the notable exception of OneNote which is actually better online then it is on the desktop. And in fact it's actually better because you don't have to pay for it.
>>
>>51470031
at the vary minimum it's going to make me worse when i jump on random work computers and use office. Plus nothing on linux can work directly with iCloud drive. I need perfect powerpoint compatibility. spss. the reasons are endless. Sure if i had no apple stuff and didn't use other computers i'm sure it would be great. IT's completely useless to me though
>>
Perfect Setup: PC + MacBook Pro + God Tier Android Phone + iPad + Gaming Console (optional, if you don't play on PC)
>>
>>51470141
This is acceptable but only if the MBP is running Gentoo, the iPad is running FFOS, and the Console is an Ouya.
>>
>>51470141
each device might be great, but you're going to have a tough time getting all that to talk to each other as well as if you went full apple or microsoft
>>
>>51470172
Why do you need your devices to talk to eachother I cant think of a reason why I wouldnt just use a USB or micro SD if I want to transfer files. Is there somthing im missing?
>>
>>51470206
continuity
>>
Custom built PC w/ Winblows 8.1
2012 13" MBA
IPhone 6S
Apple TV which just replaced my Chromecast.
>>
>>51470241
that PC will make a nice download/media server when you grow out of games
>>
>>51470237
Ok other than a buzz word I meant.
>>
>>51470255
continuity is not a buzzword. it is a word. with a definition
>>
>>51470172
Your first problem was needing that to happen.

Instead of using iCloud or OneDrive or some other shitty proprietary server space program just set up your own server somewhere and do routine backups.

I've experimented a little with this and I used to have some success running a FreeBSD server in my house on a Samba share so I can access it from Windows. Nowadays I just use the Windows Server 2016 system I mentioned earlier in this thread, as it can be accessed by pretty much anything with a network connection and a file browser.
>>
>>51467621
The remarks concerning Google electronic goods are not real criticisms, but only retorts condemning their purchase price and the fact that you believe only impoverished people (who you feel should be judged by their monetary significance) utilize. It's a very middle class mentality to be so consciously aware of your status. I suggest reading Paul Fussel's book, Class.

>>51470172
>tough time getting all that to talk to each other

How about using a computer like someone with a brain before all this gimmicky shit came out? Use a fucking telephone rather than your mind numbing toy smartphone. Use fucking OS X or Windows. Forget about GNU/Linux, you like your toys too much...

You delude yourself if you waste time with integrated so tightly you forget that you're a part of the advertising and they have you thinking you need this or that.

Northing's really changed except the introduction of storing your private life on some corporation's computer.

YOUR THREAD IS FUCKING CANCER. HOW'S THE UK, JACKIE BOY?!
>>
>>51470237
The fuck is that even supposed to mean?
>>
>>51470275
my backups are done with time machine on my NAS. no freetard shit is capable of the integration that iCloud has
>>
>>51469133
Apple Watch is pretty practical and has lots of useability. If you own an iPhone, they combo together pretty nice.
>>
>>51470276
>How about using a computer like someone with a brain before all this gimmicky shit came out? Use a fucking telephone rather than your mind numbing toy smartphone. Use fucking OS X or Windows. Forget about GNU/Linux, you like your toys too much...
you could do that. you won't be as productive a me though
>>
>>51470304
>Not being as productive as a namefag with no solid arguments for anything he says
Yeah I'm alright.
>>
I run Linux on all my devices. I don't need some bullshit "ecosystem". What real benefits does an ecosystem serve anyway?
>>
>>51470292
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

Please don't ask questions if you don't want to receive an answer.
Furthermore, I'd advise against asking for suggestions if you don't plan on actually heeding any advice.
>>
>>51470325
nobody has said anything that requires me to put an argument forward.
>>
File: XJVu2c.jpg (536KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
XJVu2c.jpg
536KB, 1920x1080px
>>51467621
>>
>>51470355
rsync is nothing like iCloud. and doesn't integrate at all with the OS. it doesn't even work on iOS fullstop. or the apple tv
>>
I love eating shit out of my own hands.
>>
>>51470400
I knew it. I was just about to fucking say... Nice dood.
>>
>>51470420
Poorfag detected!
It's delicious, you can't even afford something as exclusive.
>>
>>51470396
>rsync is nothing like iCloud
You're right - one is an application for storing data on another location, and the other is an application for storing data on another location that Apple owns.

>and doesn't integrate at all with the OS.
What does this even mean? Do you know how operating systems work? If anything rsync is actually MORE integrated because you can turn it into a systemd timer job so it's running under PID1. Can't do that on an Apple or Windows machine.

>it doesn't even work on iOS full stop. or the apple tv
What content creation are you doing on iOS or the Apple TV? Rsync is a push program, not a pull program - you'd access the server like any other server.
>>
>>51470611
try using apple products some time to get some perspective if you wish to keep talking about them
>>
>>51467621
Oh look, is the poor Mac fag that spend all his money sucking Apple's dick b8in.

Sup senpai
>>
>>51470637
I don't use low-quality consumer electronics if I have the option.

And as I don't have the issues you seem to be complaining about in this thread, it seems as if I made the right decision.
>>
>>51470744
feel free to not talk about things you haven't used then
>>
>>51470794
So you can say the same for yourself?
>>
>>51471023
I never talk about anything i'm not a verified expert on
>>
pc no.1 = debian
pc no.2 = windows
thinkpad = ubuntu
phone = nokia lumia 520 windows 8.1
tablet = archos arnova 11 android
watch = terrorist watch
tv = my browser m8
console = xbx 360, xbx original, 3ds, saga mastersystem 2, gameboy advance sp

why the brand loyalty, pick what works for you.
>>
>>51471112
How do you even manage to achieve anything when your stuff is not sync'd?
>>
>>51471112
because sticking with one ecosystem now has radical benefits. hand off, i can get SMS and phone calls on my mac. I can buy an app once and have it on all my devices etc.
>>
Windows 7 PC + AOSP Nexus 5

I don't need anything more
>>
>>51471139
no chrome cast or anything?
>>
>>51471061
Then why did you dismiss his rsync because its not "integrated" with OSX/IOS when it is by definition?
>>
>>51471128
>>51471147

I guess he's not a dense faggot
>>
>>51467621
I miss that Google favicon.

New one is all sorts of gay.
>>
>>51471185
it's integrated with the unix foundation. Not with anything relating to anything Apple has added on top
>>
>>51471230
But if you can use it on an apple products (which it can) then how is it not integrated? Do you know what you're talking about or do you believe that if it isn't a default app its not integrated?
>>
ITT: some retard can't get his shit working together and blames it on the brand.
>>
>Asus zenbook ux305fa
>iPhone 6
All you'll ever need.
>>
>>51471275
It doesn't' work with anything in OSX or iOS, or Apple TV etc. it's there. it's built in. theres no need to use it because it's 2015 and we have time machine and icloud
>>
>>51471312
and time machine and iCloud might be based on rsync for all i know. the point is there zero need to use rsync directly. and it's not possible to use it for many things anyway
>>
/bread
>>
>>51470254
That's what is already happening. I rarely play games anymore. It's mostly just used as my Plex server. I just need to start automating things.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.