[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I'm going to buy this bad boy. A whole 6 TB! They

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: sGJ0w1vAIfOZ.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg (42KB, 878x549px) Image search: [Google]
sGJ0w1vAIfOZ.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
42KB, 878x549px
I think I'm going to buy this bad boy. A whole 6 TB! They also advertise 1 million hours of MTBF whatever that is.

Should I? Are large HDDs at this size significantly more unreliable?

Of course western digital is the only choice as seagate HDDs are the worst hdds I've ever had the displeasure of using, while my 2 TB WD black is wonderful when it comes to performance.

Also I heard that 3 TB HDDs for some reason generally have a higher failure rate than 2 TB or less or 4 TB or higher. Is this true?

That price doe for the 6 tb... well, it's expensive that's for sure
>>
>>51464882
>Should I? Are large HDDs at this size significantly more unreliable?
Anything bigdata should be done with some sort of redundancy imo
>>
File: 1447841145037.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1447841145037.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>51464882
>MTBF whatever that is
>Not using google to search basic acronyms
>>
less platters = more reliable
>>
>>51464882
Fucking wd blacks are super loud, and the more platters the louder. Same with any 7200 RPM really.
>>
>>51465410
you cant fucking hear your hard drive unless its a fucking raptor, and even my 500gb is quiet.

my 3tb black is just as quiet as anything else.
>>
>>51465381

I'll save you the trouble: it means mean time between failure. It indicates how long you're guaranteed that you can be mean to your drive before it fails.

So rest easy, OP, you can abuse the drive relentlessly for one million hours.
>>
>>51465423
Maybe your ears are damaged from listening to loud hard drives.
>>
>>51465431
Not sure why you responded to me with that, I was just calling OP out on a minor bout of laziness. Of course I know what MTBF means
>>
>>51465439
No you dumb shit, any sound made by your hard drive is going to be cancelled out by the fans even if you could hear it in the first place. Maybe you are talking about the noise made when accessing the drive, in which case it is barely audible.

If you give a flying fuck about how loud your hard drive is when reading/writing you are a fucking moron. Modern drives don't make shit for noise when spinning.

Idiot
>>
>>51465463
this. AAM is no longer featured in most modern HDDs.
>>
>>51465463
Yeah, your ears must be damaged.

WD rates the 6TB Black at 31dBA idle/34dBA seek. That's for a brand new drive with brand new bearings.

Compare that to a cheap antec fan - it only hits 30dBA on it's very highest speed setting.

links:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771434.pdf
http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/TriCool.pdf
>>
I own a WD Black 1002FEAX and it sounds like it's cooking popcorn when I'm accessing it.

It's loud, but the fans do block out some of the noise. if I put my PC into silent mode, the drive definitely is audible
>>
>>51464882
I would not trust my data on anything larger than 2TB. Just get 3 of those, and if one fails you only lost 1/3 of your data.
>>
>>51465516
>not enjoying the sound of a hard drive spinning up
>>
>>51464882
never seen Bait so hard.
>>
I've been meqning to replace my HDD for a few months now.
Which one should i buy?
Size is not an issue, i'll buy a 6Tb if it's not only the best but also has the lowest failure rate.

Can anyone be a real camp here and elaborately tell which HDD should one buy in each size category?

i'm googling meanwhile. i'll post whatever i find (or decipher)
>>
>>51466885
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q3-2015/
is this reliable?
>>
>>51466899
memeblaze non-scientific research.
>>
>>51465777
this. getting multiple smaller drives is a safer bet. in case a drive fails you don't lose all your data at once. you can even disconnect the drives you not use to prolong their lifespan.
large drives are a bad idea.
>>
>>51466906
ok. if you say so.
(i vaguely remember backblaze getting a lot hatred for being biased and/or unscientific before as well.)
so, where should i look?
>>
File: Gneisennau.jpg (155KB, 740x993px) Image search: [Google]
Gneisennau.jpg
155KB, 740x993px
Bought an external 2x3.5 HDD RAID chassis, would WD red discs be the best choice, or does it really matter if just regular HDD's are used?
>>
>>51464882
Buy two and RAID0 them
>>
Anybody suggest a 6TB purely for backup?
>>
>>51465777
>>51466927
kek I've been hearing the same retarded argument since forever.

>don't buy a 100GB drive man, what if it fails! get two 50GB it's safer
>>
>>51467327
maybe a 6TB external one, but not in the computer.
If you want the most reliablilty go with 4, 1TB HDD with only 1 platter
>>
>>51467330
>don't buy a 40 GB. get a couple of 20 GB ones
>>
File: cnt.gif (706KB, 245x212px) Image search: [Google]
cnt.gif
706KB, 245x212px
>>51465463
>Hurr my drive is quiet so all drives are quiet!

Fuck off, you autistic faggot. I just replaced a 7200RPM 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar drive because it was unbearably noisy and vibrated so much that you could literally hear it through the floor when downstairs. Drives have wildly different noise profiles even just spinning, and 7200RPM drives are always louder.

Maybe you're the kind of moron that runs his case fans at 2000RPM and has a CLC pump whirring away so he can't hear anything else.
>>
>>51464882
If you can spare another power outlet, buy a 5TB Toshiba Canvio. More than half the cost, and I hear they accept the warranty on the bare drive even if you take it out of the case.

>>51465410
They really aren't that bad. They have limitations with recording 1080p 60fps, though, so an SSD is still necessary.

>>51466899
>>51466930
Take their research with a grain of salt, keep an eye out if the sample size is low. Otherwise, what they show is a pretty accurate picture of enterprise cold storage at work.

>>51467384
>My drive model is loud
>all 7200rpm drives are this loud
>>
>>51467384
> it was unbearably noisy and vibrated so much that you could literally hear it through the floor when downstairs.

America the post:
>poor quality buildings
>so spoiled that a loud drive is something that's a deal breaker
>he probably just connected his mom's industrial dildo thinking it's a hard drive
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.