[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OS X vs GNU/Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 12

File: Logo.jpg (30KB, 400x277px) Image search: [Google]
Logo.jpg
30KB, 400x277px
Just how much better is OS X compared to Linux?

What makes it better or worse?
>>
>>51458492
the only think I can think of is 3rd party software like Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop.

If they didn't have that, well loonix would win.
>>
>>51458492
Neither is better or worse. It's essentially just bells and whites vs freedom.
>>
>>51458553
>whistles
>>
>>51458492
Linux is better in every way. It can look identical with OS X and it's better under the hood. OS X would be dropped if Macs lost their quality branding among ignorant people.
>>
>>51458571
Nah, bells and whites. Lets go fuck up the Middle East and Africa so all this shit will calm down for 10 years.
>>
you can't install a tiling window manager on osx
>>
>>51458536
What about the supposedly better UI, polish and user-friendliness?
>>
>>51458669
I thought OS X was basically Linux but with certain restrictions imposed to improve usability? What with things like Homebrew, isn't it just a better, premium alternative with a few negligible shortcomings.

I've never used OS X so please fill me in.
>>
>>51459010
>you can't install a tiling window manager on osx
>>
>>51459130
homebrew sucks dick, and a lot of popular linux programs aren't available on mac os
and mac os is so far away from a "premium" os.
and anyone who unironically uses the word premium should be shot
>>
OS X's advantage comes from the fact that it runs really nicely on the hardware it ships with. Especially stuff like the touchpad, which is godly. It's also UNIX so you can run your loonix software and developer tools next to Office 2016 and LigaLegends. It's got a nice desktop environment and window manager, as well as a HiDPI implementation that works really nicely.

I still use Linux on my home server though.
>>
>one is a proprietary operating system that only runs on a limited set of expensive hardware, effectively locking you to only one manufacturer (you can't switch to a different brand if Apple fucks up as easily once you invest into the ecosystem), with absolutely no regards to backwards compatibility or customization possibilities (don't like "flat design"? You have no choice. With OS X, one size fits all)
>the other is a free as in freedom operating system, developed by the community for the community, that runs on any computer, with no lock-in, that you can modify as you wish
Choose wisely.
>>
>>51458669
>It can look identical with OS X
Yeah it can look like OS X designed by an autistic 10 year old.
>>
OS X = best desktop OS
Linux = best server OS
>>
File: macintosh.gif (840KB, 618x558px) Image search: [Google]
macintosh.gif
840KB, 618x558px
>>51458536
This is really the only reason why I like OS X. It's *nix with Photoshop. The desktop environment is also nice to use, although it's different to both GNU/Linux and Windows so it takes some getting used to.

It also has much better font rendering out of the box (although compared to Windows and Ubuntu or another GNU/Linux distro with infinality it's just personal preference) and installing programs is generally more idiot proof. I prefer a package manager though, as there are tons of programs that use an installer on OS X that are hard to uninstall (unlike Windows).

The main downfall of OS X is that everything costs money. In order to use the forward/back buttons on my G400 in OS X, the best option is a utility called SteerMouse. It costs $20 USD, and believe me I tried pirating it to no avail. If you want the best GUI IRC program, that's another $10 or so every time they release a "new version" (i.e. they bump the version number), despite the fact that the program is open source. The upside to this is that indie devs can make a living selling a small utility like a mouse driver or a dock replacement, so more exist. The downside of course is that you end up being nickel and dimed every time you want to really use your OS.

I never had to pay for anything on GNU/Linux besides optional donations, and don't think I have ever paid for applications on Windows.
>>
>>51459247
Thats basically it, OS X is less powerful but its always a good out of the box experience that designed with your hardware in mind.

Linux just does fucking everything, and does it really well and you have the ability to change anything.
>>
It is fundamentally ease of use vs freedom of customisation. Linux can be difficult if you're a novice mainly due to the fact people generally start off using windows or OS X. But Linux is very rewarding if you put the time into it. Although both operating systems are free, the entry price of hardware to use OS X is astronomical compared to putting Linux on a PC.
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-11-21_16-55-14.png (311KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-11-21_16-55-14.png
311KB, 1920x1200px
>>51459328
>linux with photoshop

oh.. wait, that's any distro.
>>
File: out.webm (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
out.webm
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>
File: macintosh-new.webmhd.webm (267KB, 852x718px) Image search: [Google]
macintosh-new.webmhd.webm
267KB, 852x718px
>>51459328
>>
>>51459446
i like your bar senpai
>>
Monaco is a disgusting font. That makes it inferior by default.
>>
>>51459482
you can have the config if you want senpai, it's tint2 in case you didn't know
>>
>>51459328

>The main downfall of OS X is that everything costs money.

Know your audience. OS X brogrammers know that their customers are cücks who will gladly overpay.
>>
>>51459566
i would love to have it friend
>>
>>51459446
Wine?
Windows VM?
>>
Some interesting replies so far.

Hypothetically, if Apple became a "software" company and started releasing OS X for all hardware, would you guys consider making the switch?
>>
>>51459621
https://a.uguu.se/eemgby_tint2rc
here it is
>>51459644
It's wine, but i keep a windows XP vm just in case of some exe that refuses to run under wine. so far i haven't used it.

Wine 1.5.11 for photoshop
wine 1.5.1 for illustrator

don't try the normal instalers, use special ones that don't connect to the internet to verify shit, then proceed to crack de program with the usual mtlib.dll method

use playonlinux to manage wine versions
>>
>>51459874
thanks senpai
>>
>>51459289
Windows = best gaming OS
>>
>>51459010
Ever heard of amethyst you retard?
>>
>>51460105
more like
Only like, Windows = OS with a large amount of games.
>>
>>51459130
Their both posix os', and apple reverse engineered a lot of tools so there is no oss under the hood, but it's as mich linux as Solaris would be
>>
I like OS X better, but Linux is also fun to play with.
>>
Do I get a Mac or a Hackintosh?
>>
>>51460717
>apple reverse engineered a lot of tools so there is no oss under the hood
<citation required>
... and "that's what I choose to believe" is not good enough.
>>
you're pretty much paying a fuckton for the os with apple products, but to reach a similar speed a decent pc build with xubuntu or something can cut down mad $$
>>
>>51460849
If you want to try out OS X, sure get a Hackintosh. That way you can see if you want to even get a Mac in the first place.
>>
>>51461460
>If you want to try out OS X, sure get a Hackintosh.
You can buy a second-hand Mac cheaper.
And it'll work without all those intermittents.
>>
>>51460748
What programs are you using to make OS X look like that?
>>
>>51462393
not him but heres some things i think he's using, keyword is think so dont hold me to it, seems like he's using urxvt for his terminal emulator, ncmpcpp ( probably with mpd ) for his music, ranger(?) for the cmd filebrowser maybe

for the window manager, i have no clue desu
>>
>>51458492
Nethack doesn't work on el-capitan, because Apple locked non-apple software (by and large) out of all standard system directories. Reasonable from a security point of view, and the fact that third party traditional unix software should be in /opt, not /usr or /usr/local, but still.

Nethack doesn't work on el-capitan, so it's just not a viable platform for me.
>>
>>51462641
What you just told me is a horror that rises above you simply not using a game, it's Apple making it even more difficult to support Apple operating systems.

OSX is a bad system, you shouldn't have to be a developer to "get" that. It's the IE of OS', hard to support, slow, does weird unintuitive things but it's "pretty" and is.... Pretty.
>>
>>51458492
OSX is basically like a Linux US made by a professional company. All Linux distros, rice, themes and icons are made by amateurs in comparison. Every Linux requires and allows the user days of tinkering until the wanted/needed behaviour and capabilities of the OS are reached. Apple delivers this all from one hand, if anything is missing just install an additional app. Easy, fast, secure.

That's it basically.
>>
>>51462981
Its a good decision though. The game is what's wrong.
>>
>>51463020
It's not a good decision to go against common conventions for what's only a sprinkle of security. It's Apple, as always, making it as difficult as possible to support it.
>>
>>51463006
>Linux OS
>>
>>51458492
>>
>>51463041
I guess we just philosophically disagree. Its not hard to patch around this for the vast majority of things. And its not necessarily convention. Many distros have different places they put binaries these days. Its gotten fractured.
>>
>>51463006
>Not knowing that Linux gets a fuckton of development from different companies and paid employees
Apple is in no way more professional, they have failed in the most basic task which is non-corrupting filesystem for your files. It's also not faster, more secure or audited by more eyes.

If all the software would be made for Linux there would be no reason to use any inferior design. I'm not talking about the GUI, that can be altered anyway. In fact everything can be altered since nothing is locked down for "we know better, shut up"-reasons.

Apple offers nothing that's better than Linux. That's it, basically.
>>
>>51463142
>Apple offers nothing that's better than Linux

Hahaha, people believing this actually exist :3
>>
>>51463186
>I can't come up with anything so maybe a nervous laugh will distract them
>>
>>51462393
Bspwm, urxvt, MPD+ncmpcpp, OSXey, some colorscripts, ranger, feh, cli-clock.
>>
>>51459757
>Hypothetically, if Apple became a "software" company and started releasing OS X for all hardware, would you guys consider making the switch?

Nope. having consumers install OS X would lose the out of box experience, and the fact that there is virtually no troubleshooting buying a Mac. Especially with vendors installing third party software, and inconsistent with OEM hardware.

Apple's management of Customer Service, Hardware, Software is why OS X is the most popular Unix OS for Desktop, right now.
>>
>>51458492
I think Linux is the better OS.

From a technical viewpoint, it would not be difficult to "fix" OS X... The file system could be swapped out for something better, things that are locked down could be given options for customization, etc.

But Apple stands for the opposite of that. Apple are all about vendor lock-in, walled gardens and limited choices.

Maybe even for /most/ people, that's fine with them. It's not for me. But then again, most people's computer usage doesn't extend further than web browsing, multimedia playback and extremely basic content creation... eg. typing up their resume, or slapping a caption over an image.

Most people probably aren't interested in the how or why of computers, they just want to use them for a specific task, like most people don't care about cars enough to really learn a lot about them, they just want to be able to drive to and from places.

Linux is my main OS, I spend upwards of 99% of my time on it. That said, I do dual-boot as a hackintosh for those rare occassions when I have a need to... Like transferring music to and from an iPod.

I also have Windows VM's so I can run Office, although I find that LibreOffice is fine for my personal usage...

I do tech support for Windows and OS X users mostly, so it's my job to know more about them than the average user, and that's why I have Windows VM's for running MS Office... So I can replicate any issue or create tutorials, etc.

I have less issues with Linux than Windows or OS X. I'm certain that people who claim Windows or OS X "just werk" are trolling, because often, they don't, and issues with them often require much more drastic action to rectify. (Like reinstalling the entire OS)

My advice though is to use all 3. Linux, OS X and Windows. You can figure out for yourself what you prefer, and what the strengths and weaknesses are of each.
>>
File: 1447996833371.jpg (196KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1447996833371.jpg
196KB, 900x675px
>>51458492
OSX: For people who use both hands to eat shit

Linux: For people who like sodomizing themselves with dragon dildos

That leaves Windows, the sane and responsible people who work hard everyday to maintain the society so that these degenerates can have essential services.
>>
>>51459388
How?
>>
>>51463643
The only sensible, non-biased person on here. I like you.
>>
Anyone who has actually used both OSes a d has half a brain will have to admit OSX is more sophisticated.

Freetards will be freetards if you've never used it I'd suggest you install it in a VM and form your own opinion before eating up their autismal propaganda.
>>
>>51464779
I've used both, and Linux is still better at doing many things over OS X and vice versa.
>>
Loonix is a server os.
OSX is a desktop os.
>>
>>51465473
Linux is for everything and anything, including desktops. I know this since I've used it on laptops for several years. Only macfags think that Linux is only for servers. Shows what they know.
>>
It is guaranteed to work and perform well on the hardware it is shipped with.
>>
>>51458492
Neither is better than the other; they're both great operating systems for people with different preferences
>>
>>51465461
like...?
>>
>>51458492
Just got my very first mac, ever. Been on Windows since 98.

Any tips or tricks?
>>
>>51466656
Wipe it out and install a proper OS.
>>
>>51460105
This >>51460248

Just a lot of games.
>>
This is not even a discussion that needs to happen yet. It's like saying how much better is Australia to New Zealand
>>
>>51458669
this
>>
>>51458669
>It can look identical with OS X
No one cares about looks, faglord

>>51458669
>and it's better under the hood.
Disputable. Linux is clearly superior in portability and running efficiently on a vast variety of different architectures, but for the exact hardware configuration that is known as a Mac, OS X is pretty based.

It's practically a BSD.
>>
>>51462641

Never heard about rootless=0 ?
>>
>>51462641
>I can't use El Capitan because a third-party game is installed in /opt instead of /usr/local
What the fuck? Are you being ironic or are you actually this autistic?

Why not just install it in /usr/local then?

Also
>alternate installation scheme = locked down system
wtf?
>>
>>51463770

you must be GNU here
>>
OS X baterry life 14 hours
Linux 2 hours tops
>>
OS X works. It's practical, does what you want, it's easy, customizable, configurable and doesn't bug.

Linux requires you to use the command line all the time, and it's hard to install. Also, isn't supported by any brand. Unix is just shit.
>>
>>51470383
>Unix is just shit.
But OS X is UNIX, which is why it simply just works.
>>
>>51470393
Source?
>>
>>51470403
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/apple.htm
>>
OS X is the best consumer OS if you don't play games. I don't think hobby os is even worthy of comparison.
>>
>>51459220
>and a lot of popular linux programs aren't available on mac os
Name one. I DOUBLE DARE YOU NAME ONE, NIGGER.
>>
>>51470403
How can a macfag be so retarded
>>
>>51470477
>How can a macfag be so retarded
He's not a macfag. He's a anti-Linux MS shill that forgot to stop namefagging.

(Just look up his other replies in other threads)
>>
>>51463255
why dont you just use linux lmao
>>
>>51470531

better font rendering on osx bruh
>>
>>51470531
Not him, but Linux drains my battery life.

Aesthetics isn't everything, you also need the proper stuff under the hood.
>>
>>51470383
>shamefur dispray

t. osx user
>>
>>51458492
OS X GUI > Linux GUI
Linux GNU Repos > OS X GNU Repos
OS X commercial software > Linux commercial software
OS X Games > Linux Games

That's basically it.
>>
>>51470580
What does 't.' mean?
>>
>>51470581
>Linux GNU Repos
has nothing with decent UI design
>>
>>51470548
that debatable - depends on your fontconfig. out of the box, yes.

>>51470551
dont act like you use your laptop outside you neet fuck
>>
File: images (24).jpg (14KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images (24).jpg
14KB, 443x332px
Still looks better than most Loonix distros
>>
>>51470581
>Linux GNU Repos > OS X GNU Repos
Well, fucking duh...

There is no "OS X GNU Repos"

>OS X commercial software > Linux commercial software
I seriously oppose this, as you are obviously unaware that most FOSS software is in fact "commercial software".

>OS X Games > Linux Games
They are the same, if you're talking about steam.
If you're talking about the ones included in OS X (like chess) and Linux (GNOME Chess), then I agree.
>>
>>51470581
OSX virtualization of Windows games > Linux virtualization of Windows games
>>
>>51470593
>dont act like you use your laptop outside you neet fuck
I'm not NEET, I have a job. My employer bought me my rMBP.
>>
>>51470623
can you tell him to hire me - i need a new laptop

i wont work or stay too long
>>
>>51458492

Much much better. A few advantages I can think of off the top of my head:

> Commercial support - buy hardware from a store, it will probably have an OS X driver on the bundled CD or downloadable from the manufacturer's website. With Linux you've gotta roll your own, or get a community made driver, which usually lack features.

>Industry standard software, you can use OS X for your job, if you work in design, you'll need Photoshop and InDesign for example. Despite what /g/ autists tell you, if you turn up to a design studio armed with a copy of GIMP, you will literally get laughed of the room. If you work in the creative sector, OS X is usually the default choice thanks to Adobe suite, Final Cut, Logic etc. There are no comparable programs on Linux.

>Professional software, kinda follows on from the last point. But OS X has recognised software packages, designed by professional teams and support. Most stuff on Linux is homebrew, developed by part-time coders in their bedroom, and sadly - it often shows.

>OS X is certified Unix.
>>
>>51470644
>can you tell him to hire me - i need a new laptop
I don't get to keep it after I quit, it's company property.
>>
>>51470661
>if you work in design, you'll need Photoshop and InDesign for example
I work in design and use Inkscape on a regular basis. It's a /g/ meme that only Adobe programs are used exclusively in creative jobs.
>>
>>51470666
well lets see if they want it back after i fucked it up and the smell of semen fills the room.
>>
>>51463770

WINE

But half the features don't work.
>>
>>51470682
so do i and it's mostly adobe products. if you are a freelancer or some semi professional shit, it won't matter.

since most stuff i do happens in collaboration or similar, they expect .psd files etc.
>>
>>51461460

Hackintosh is not a comparable experience to an actual Mac. I've tried Hackintosh a few times over the years, you spend more time blocking apps from auto-updating, then trying to repair your system when something does auto-update and bricks your install. Too many limitations, it's a time-sink.
>>
>>51458492
OS X is shit compared to Linux. It's just as buggy except that you often cannot fix the bugs in OS X. In Linux, you can at least replace the buggy software with other software which has different bugs that aren't as bad.

>>51459084
It doesn't have a better UI. KDE is a better UI for power users and GNOME is a better UI for casual users. OSX has such a shitty and unintuitive UI. It's also quite buggy and has a lot of "features" that get in the way of it being usable.
>>
>>51470740
Atleast have the decency of removing my name when shitposting.
>>
>>51470728
not really. i've been using on osx on 2 machines so far - even updates from yosemite to el capitan and i let everything update without checking the forums. nothing broke in nearly 2 years.

it depends on the hardware.
i actually prefer my hp probook with el capitan rather than my macbook pro.
>>
>>51470749
Disregard this, Mac sucks
>>
>>51470587

Fuck off namefag
>>
>>51470728
nonsense
>>
>>51470749
Maybe you should take a break from sucking Steve Jobs' dead dick to get a tripcode, senpai
>>
>>51470740
>KDE is a better UI for power users and GNOME is a better UI fo

lol
>>
>>51470779
Okay, every other Jack is an imposter
>>
>>51470623

It sounds like you work for a "University" which is particularly hated on this site.
>>
>>51470682
>>51470715

>they expect .psd files etc.

This. Most industries have a set of standard tools that clients expect you to receive/deliver work in. The design sector expects .psd .indd files. If you can't open/save in them, you'll not be considered for work again.
>>
>>51470814
>>51470715
But Inkscape supports Illustrator files...
>>
>>51470806
Close, but not quite. I work for a publicly owned research company.

But I also collaborate with a fully privately owned company in a research project.

I don't know why this would be hated on this site?
>>
>>51470830

There's always incompatibilities or stuff that doesn't translate right. You need to be using Adobe suite, plus when you work at a design studio, unless you bring your own machine with Linux on, 99% of the time you'll find a Mac on your desk.

Source: worked in design for 15 years.
>>
>>51470861
>There's always incompatibilities or stuff that doesn't translate right.
That's wrong. The file format is open.

> You need to be using Adobe suite, plus when you work at a design studio, unless you bring your own machine with Linux on, 99% of the time you'll find a Mac on your desk.
But
1) I use the Adobe suite
2) I use a Mac
3) I as a graphic designer for a software company
>>
>>51470861
>99% of the time you'll find a Mac on your desk.
Yep, the last place I worked at, gave us regular PCs with Windows. One of the new designers started arguing and "demanded" an iMac.

Management just laughed and told him to get his shit together. We was let go weeks later.
>>
>>51470799
This guy is pretending to be me. I'm the real Jack.
>>
>>51470923
No
>>
>>51470947
maybe its me xD
>>
>>51470890

Sure, it's more than enough to use Photoshop on Windows, just the same.

But doesn't change the fact that 99% of design studios around the world use Macs. It's more of an historical thing, lecturers at Universities/colleges started using Macs when they were the only platform useable for design in the 80s/90s, and they teach their students to use Macs, the students learn exclusively on Macs etc, then they only feel comfortable with them when they start a job.
>>
>>51458669
You might be able to get them to look similar but it won't behave similarly. UX is way more than just UI.
>>
>>51470888

Well there you go, point proven. You are expected/have to use Adobe and Adobe CS suite to be taken seriously in the design world.
>>
>>51470961
Yeah, I agree with you. I was just pointing out that because of the 99% Mac thing, lots of designers insist on using a Mac even though there is a no real reason.
>>
>>51470961
I have recently gotten interested in graphic design and if I were to work as a graphic designer I wouldn't give two shits about using either OSX or Windows. I'm not there to argue as long as my opinion isn't needed, I'm there to do my job, and it's basically the same.
>>
>>51470977
>Well there you go, point proven. You are expected/have to use Adobe and Adobe CS suite to be taken seriously in the design world.
What point anon? Did you even read my original post at all? (>>51470682)
>it's a /g/ meme that only Adobe programs are used exclusively in creative jobs
The key words being "only" and "exclusively"

I think you are arguing against make-belief arguments.

I don't know what kind of graphic designer you claim to be, if you have used solely Adobe products the last 15 years (and only Photoshop and InDesign by the looks of it)...
>>
>>51470977

It's the same in other creative sectors too. If you work in video production, you're expected to know Final Cut, and Avid, Fireworks etc.

If you work in audio production, studios expect you to know and work with Pro Tools and Logic, and Adobe Audition if it's radio/podcasting.

Sadly, Linux doesn't cut it for the creative sector.
>>
>>51471058
>If you work in audio production, studios expect you to know and work with Pro Tools and Logic
Uhm no. Logic Pro is a low-end tool, anon.

Cubase is what the professionals use.
>>
>>51471057

My point was more that you are expected to know and use Adobe CS. Therefore someone who was exclusively a Linux user would not be taken seriously, or hired by most design studios or clients.
>>
>>51471075
>Cubase is what the professionals use.

Also not available for Linux
>>
Since some of you seem to be graphic designers

How's it like to work for a company? What would you compare it to?
>>
>>51471099
And this is relevant how exactly?

Admit it, you're just here to point out that Linux sucks, aren't you?
>>
>>51470463
systemd
>>
>>51470701
not true, everything works just as expected.
>>
>>51471058
>Sadly, Linux doesn't cut it for the creative sector.

This is extremely true. I had hoped to see some cool developments with that new BitWig DAW created by some ex-Ableton employees, but sadly I only have a shitty 32-bit processor and can't run it.
>>
>>51458492
infinitely better
suck it mad poorfags
>>
>>51471393
He's saying that the tools needed to be taken seriously in the industry aren't available for the linux platform. He's not saying that it's a bad platform; he's saying that it "doesn't cut it for the creative sector."

Not a complicated argument to wrap your head around.
>>
>>51470661
>You can use OSX for your job

Engineer here, you will get laughed out of the room if you turn up with a macbook.
>>
>>51459247
>only runs on a limited set of expensive hardware, effectively locking you to only one manufacturer (you can't switch to a different brand if Apple fucks up as easily once you invest into the ecosystem)
As someone who's using a hackintosh right now which is working perfectly without a single piece of Apple hardware in sight... I do not agree.

>>51459328
>In order to use the forward/back buttons on my G400 in OS X, the best option is a utility called SteerMouse.
Have you tried BetterTouchTool? I have a technet mouse and I just used it to map buttons 3 and 4 to ⌘+[ and ⌘+].
>>
It has Adobe product support.
I would use Linux if it had support for creative suite/cloud and good drivers behind it.
>>
>>51470463
Emacs
>>
So OS X is a shitty version of Linux with Adobe and some DAW support?
At that point you might as well run Windows because OSX lacks a lot of software outside of you meme careers.
>>
>>51459446
>sh
>>
File: font.jpg (293KB, 1593x896px) Image search: [Google]
font.jpg
293KB, 1593x896px
>dat font rendering

Linux users wish they had this type of font rendering.
>>
>>51474356

aw yeah
>>
>>51474356
>>51474450
http://arunoda.me/blog/font-rendering-mac-vs-ubunut.html
> OSX BTFO one again.
>>
>>51458492
OS X is a real *NIX system while Linux isn't.
>>
>>51475109
Actually, OS X (Darwin) emulates POSIX while Linux and GNU are POSIX by design.
>>
File: 220px-Tux.png (43KB, 220x261px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Tux.png
43KB, 220x261px
>>51475109
"real UNIX" just means that Apple paid off the people who own the rights to the name "UNIX"

It means nothing for functionality.

GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix, but it is a Unix-like system.
>>
>>51475280
>Actually, OS X (Darwin) emulates POSIX
POSIX is a standard, you are either compliant or you're not. There's no such thing as "emulating POSIX".

OS X is fully POSIX, GNU/Linux is not (because they haven't paid the fee for getting it certified as such).

>>51475522
>"real UNIX" just means that Apple paid off the people who own the rights to the name "UNIX"
This

>It means nothing for functionality.
Wrong, it means that you are (among other things) fully POSIX compliant.
>>
>>51473437
It's just weird and misplaced, as I wasn't talking about Linux at all (nor was the guy I was responding to).
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.