[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

R9 390 or FirePro for XEN Virtualization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: AMD_FirePro_logo_2014.svg.png (108KB, 1213x1024px) Image search: [Google]
AMD_FirePro_logo_2014.svg.png
108KB, 1213x1024px
I'm trying to decide on a graphics card for my new build which will have a 6700k and 32gb of RAM.

I know that the W7100 is double the price, but I think I want the 8gb of DDR5 over the lower priced W5100.

I will use the rig for equal amounts of CAD, gaming, and video/photo editing. The computer will always be running 4 1080p monitors. I run both windows and linux and hope to experiment with Xen Virtualization to run both OS at once.
>>
inb4 /v/idyakids come to suggest an nvidia gaming card to you
>>
pretty sure you need 2 gpus and a mobo+cpu that support pci pass through for this to work, 2x 390 would be a good choice. firepro is needlessly expensive unless you have money to burn
>>
File: frogxd.png (34KB, 250x237px) Image search: [Google]
frogxd.png
34KB, 250x237px
>seriously considering AMD
>>
>>51455128
NVidia puts code in their graphics driver that specifically blocks you from using Xen, whereas AMD does not. Go back to /v/.
>>
>>51455314
>NVidia puts code in their graphics driver that specifically blocks you from using Xen
[citation needed]
>>
>>51455324
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough_Tested_Adapters
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2twq7q/nvidia_apparently_pulls_some_shady_shit_to_do/
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/can-some-one-explain-xen-and-kvm.736251/

I'm sure you're capable of researching further, but I know from personal experience that all GeForce cards and some Quadros are blocked when trying to use VGA pass through.
>>
>>51455324
>>51455486
fucking destroyed
>>
File: goodgoy.jpg (3MB, 900x5916px) Image search: [Google]
goodgoy.jpg
3MB, 900x5916px
>>51455128
>>
>>51455324
This is a pretty well known fact, and mentioned in EVERY SINGLE TUTORIAL for pass through around the internet.

Lesser known details: nvidia gpus are capable of 4-6 display heads per card (since 6xx) but windows is only capable of 3, thus nvidia blocks it on Linux unless you buy quadro. AMD does no such thing, my apu can drive 6 displays if I could find enough ports for it.

Nvidia cards are capable of quadro performance like for instance async shaders, but they disable it in software to upsell quadro. Further, they make hardware tweaks to keep you from flashing quadro firmware to enable it.
>>
>>51456275
Wow that's bullshit, how dare they try to make money.
>>
>>51456304

>I'm okay with a company fucking me over for no benefit to myself
>>
>>51456304
fuck off pajeet, go shill on tomshardware
>>
>>51456348
I'm okay with companies making their own business decisions. I'll evaluate those decisions as a consumer and if I don't like it I simply won't buy it.

Go kill yourself you fucking faggot.
>>
>>51456304
good goy
>>
>>51456427
That's fine, and its their prerogative. It's also my prerogative to inform every person I can about their anti-consumer tactics.
>>
>>51456486
How many heated Italian pastries do you get per hour?
>>
File: 1441740255078.gif (1MB, 392x400px) Image search: [Google]
1441740255078.gif
1MB, 392x400px
>>51456530
how many dicks do you suck per hour
>>
>>51456530

>hot canoli
>>
>>51456530
None, I'm not really a sweets guy.
I do like the "hot Tamale's" candy though
>>
>>51456546
rekt
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.