[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

django vs rails, /g/? Or anything better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: 1372169831320.jpg (59KB, 530x379px) Image search: [Google]
1372169831320.jpg
59KB, 530x379px
django vs rails, /g/? Or anything better?
>>
NodeJS, by a landslide
>>
>>51437565
Why?
>>
>>51437865
It scales better than the other two, can allow for isomorphic sites, and has more developers on it currently, so you have access to more (in quality and quantity) modern packages and better support from the crowd.
>>
>>51437888
Is it batteries included like Django? With add-ons?
>>
>>51438373
no, look up expressjs
>>
Scala + Play framework
>>
>>51437550
ASP.NET MVC + EF. The latest version can run on Linux, google DNX
>>
>all these different options
I can't decide man
>>
Java EE
>>
Grails
>>
File: 1447770145910.png (1MB, 880x759px) Image search: [Google]
1447770145910.png
1MB, 880x759px
>>51439918
>>51439806
>>51439935
>Java
Don't you have a street to be shitting on rajeesh?
>>
>>51437565
>>
>>51437565
This, but use typescript.
>>
>>51437550
c-script
>>
guys pls
>>
>>51440803
what do you want? post requirements.
>>
>>51439966
something something about you being hungry
>>
>>51439918
This

Spring Boot desu
>>
>>51437550
Laravel
>>
>>51437550
node.js
>>
File: 858456435897.png (33KB, 820x780px) Image search: [Google]
858456435897.png
33KB, 820x780px
>>51440980
>>51437565
>>51440170
Node.js is literal shit. Can't even set up OData endpoint or use any ORM without writing a bunch of spaghetti code.
>JavaScript
Enough said. Pic related.
>>
>>51441032
There's jaydata, but why do you want odata anyway? Dark side much? What is your application?
>>
>>51437550
Flask.
>>
File: 562348769345.png (45KB, 578x524px) Image search: [Google]
562348769345.png
45KB, 578x524px
>>51441103
>JayData
Kek'd hard. Now compare pic related to any reasonable ORM framework

public class Blog 
{
public int BlogId { get; set; }
public string Name { get; set; }

public virtual List<Post> Posts { get; set; }
}

public class Post
{
public int PostId { get; set; }
public string Title { get; set; }
public string Content { get; set; }

public int BlogId { get; set; }
public virtual Blog Blog { get; set; }
}
>>
>>51437888
Is it webscale though?
>>
>>51441103
>why do you want odata anyway
Any application that uses API can benefit from having OData endpoint, so you don't need to write a bunch of custom coded spaghetti typical for Node.js that can not naively integrate with any other application.
>>
>>51440938
I need a backend for a taxi dispatch system. It's a project I have that might get pretty big later on.
>>
>>51441157
What class Blog and class Post?
Aren't you going to extend something in them to make them entities? Show me how you make one of them a key, or better, many to many relationship between them, without coupling your data model with a cryptic "fluent" line somewhere in the depth of your EF configuration.

>>51441188
OData is strictly CRUD.
>>
>>51441210
If you expect it to get bigger later on, use a type safe language, otherwise you'll have a lot of headache unit testing it.
>>
>>51441235
Or even that example with max length, show OP how fucking retarded it looks in your platform-bound language when you put that attribute in your class. Is that supposed to be OOP?
>>
rails, fuck django
>>
File: hipster_technology.png (305KB, 1432x652px) Image search: [Google]
hipster_technology.png
305KB, 1432x652px
>>51441288
This, desu. You wanna fit in, you use ruby.
>>
File: 96784568570394.png (36KB, 473x328px) Image search: [Google]
96784568570394.png
36KB, 473x328px
>>51441255
>>51441255
>how fucking retarded it looks
There's nothing more retarded than using duck typing for large scale projects. Regarding your maxlength question, it'll be an attribute on top of the variable, which can be abstracted into class with advanced functionality - something that will look like a horrible unmaintainable mess in JS
>>
>>51441302
I mostly just hate python tho

Also, ruby is fun
>>
>>51441235
>OData is strictly CRUD
Only from "user perspective". Liek make a view, nigger.
>>
>>51441310
Yes, and eventually you will be pidgeonholed into having a layer of models just so they can be considered entities and slowly queried from the context, and another layer for when you use them with OData, and you will be happy, because it's so simple, give it models and it makes a WebAPI resource for you! If nothing goes wrong and you don't have to dig through layers of un-intellisensible fluent API calls.

Meanwhile a fucking hipster does same thing backwards and on high heels with elasticsearch in a single sitting in Starbucks, because xer decided to not expose a rigid enterprise-level CRUD to a fucking web front end.
>>
>>51441367
OData and WCF are mapping one to one, so all you have to do write like 5 lines of code it just werks TM. Meanwhile your starbucks retards will be sweating his ass writing custom wrappers for all types of queries, filters and nested relations and will fuck it up with his duck typing or forgetting to check something. I'll be done in 1 day and fucking my wife, while you'll be working for a month without salary.
>>
>>51441436
OP is talking about web here. WCF has no place there at all. Exposing OData is questionable. Existance of elasticsearch makes it a really shitty idea. How do you even envision the architecture of a modern web site?
>>
>>51441472
Majority od those 'hipster' JS frameworks are moving to cleanly structured APIs (e.g. ember.js), so I'm not sure why do you have your panties twisted in a bunch so much. Isn't it something your fashion police is shilling for so much anyway? You can also easily control what data is being exposed and to what extend and even modify it on the fly. Much more centralized and easier approach then writing custom wrappers for every request and then forgetting to update it, leaving security holes behind. Not to mention having to unit test duck typing.
>>
>>51441472
>OP is talking about web here. WCF has no place there at all
Lolwat. Literally
public class WcfDataService1 : DataService< AdventureWorksLTEntities > 
{
public static void InitializeService(DataServiceConfiguration config)
{
config.SetEntitySetAccessRule("*", EntitySetRights.AllRead);
config.SetEntitySetPageSize("*", 50);
config.DataServiceBehavior.MaxProtocolVersion =
DataServiceProtocolVersion.V2;
}
}

Done. Now go back and look at that 'JayData' again.
>>
>>51437550
>inb4 php is shit
I use codeigniter. It has the advantage that you just put it somewhere and code away, no need to fuck about in a CLI the entire time you make a change. It's also rather self explanatory, so you're not spending the entire time learning the framework as if you're learning a second programming language.
>>
>>51441860
this desu senpai
>>
File: Ruby_on_Rails.svg.png (107KB, 791x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ruby_on_Rails.svg.png
107KB, 791x1024px
>>51437550

Rails developer here and I can thoroughly recommend Rails, it is fucking awesome. And no I am not some weird hipster who is jumping on trendy bandwagons - Rails is well established by now with a massive community and a gigantic wealth of packages (gems), many of which are years old and thus incredibly mature and stable and well-documented. I used Rails in my last job for a year and a half and it really is fucking awesome to work with. It's so powerful and so incredibly fucking easy. I am now having to use PHP again and it's basically like this - I dined on sirloin steak and fine wine for 18 months, now I'm eating slop out of a bin. The difference is that stark.

I've never used Django but I'll say this: Python, eurgh.
>>
>>51441310

Javascript is a great language. I'd say it's one of the best languages I have ever learned.

Seriously don't understand why people are still complaining about the type conversions. They're not that hard and pitfalls are very easily avoided.
>>
>>51442263
>easily avoided
until you have more than 1 person working on the project
>>
>>51442060

Use Laravel if you have the choice.

Shits rails for php
>>
>>51442060

kek

Ex-Ruby dev here. You're right that Rails is *starting* to mature. Until relatively recently it had no support for database foreign keys; it managed referential integrity completely by itself.

>>51442297
Yeah, other people can be dumb as shit. I'm usually the one who fixes all these bugs anyway. I can spot them right away in other people's code.

Languages aren't perfect but we all must live with it. I just think that if some guy can't handle Javascript implicit conversion rules, then he isn't really that competent. Would you trust him to write some memory management code in a mission-critical long-running C application?

Hell you can just google the shit if you're ever in doubt.
>>
File: 7456345234897.jpg (39KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
7456345234897.jpg
39KB, 480x270px
>>51442410
>Languages aren't perfect but we all must live with it.
>if some guy can't handle Javascript implicit conversion rules
Dat feel. We're talking about web devs here mostly, old school C bros are unfortunately kinda rare in this environment...
>>
>>51442481
Yeah, at the end of the day I think that explains everything that's wrong with tech today.

I think C should be people's first language. This is so they're forced learn proper pointer work and resource management discipline. As a programmer we are never really free of these things.

In pretty much all high level languages, everything either is always or at least can be passed by reference, which is essentially a pointer you can't do arithmetic on. References, handles, IDs... It's all the same crap that will give you the exact same null reference errors when something goes wrong and what you wanted to point at just couldn't be found and the API gave you a null instead.

Resource management is also present in every language. It's not just memory; it's files, sockets, locks, threads, processes... It's essentially anything you have to ask the operating system for. After Lisp came up with the garbage collector and automated memory management, people seem to have lost their edge, their defensiveness. I frequently read code where people fuck up the simplest I/O resource management and just reply "GC will release it along with the object" as if that wasn't naive thinking. Some of these people actually think GCed languages can't leak memory.

Programmers need segmentation faults and memory leaks. They're the most effective pedagogical tool I have ever encountered.
>>
>>51437550
Spring Framework
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.