[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jolla - Sailfish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: sailfish.jpg (107KB, 1080x584px) Image search: [Google]
sailfish.jpg
107KB, 1080x584px
http://news.softpedia.com/news/jolla-laying-off-at-least-half-the-staff-due-to-financial-difficulties-496436.shtml

>It looks like Jolla's adventure in the smartphone business is about to end as the Finnish company is reportedly in deep financial difficulties.

RIP
>>
>>51437512
Never gonna get my US version, cry everytim
>>
File: Jolla.jpg (419KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jolla.jpg
419KB, 1920x1080px
>>51437677
It is sad that the Sailfish 2.0 is finally a 5/5 OS.
>>
>>51437512
Why did they have to build a fucking tablet in this day and age?
>>
>>51437512

I'm fine with this, maybe Nokia will take them all back and finally go back to making decent phones.
>>
Doed anyone really care about this vaporware?
>>
>>51438132
I do. I might be the only on though.
>>
>Name your company 'Ship'
>It sinks
epic
>>
You didn't need a crystal ball to see this coming.
>>
You could guess there could never be a market for a decent phone OS.
>>
I just want to get my tablet.. I hope they can at least hold on until then.
>>
Official - https://jolla.com/wp-content/uploads/bsk-pdf-manager/Jolla_press_release_20112015_FINAL_61.pdf
>>
I hope that won't happen with ubuntu touch.
UT and sailfish OS are the two good OS for smartphone that exist. That's sad.
>>
They just didn't get their commercial apps in in time. Also The Other Half was pretty disappointing, reminds me too much of those pointless New 3DS covers that you can buy.

I have my Jolla Smartphone and I'm very happy with it, finally a mobile OS that isn't fucking awful.
Let's hope they can find some investors who can hammer some business sense into those people.
>>
>>51438271
truly epic :^)
>>
>>51439936
Microsoft, a company with 1000s of times the resources as canonical or jolla, can't get a decent amount of smartphone marketshare.

It will be a fucking miracle for anything else to succeed. I guess we just don't need more than 2 operating systems.
>>
>>51441628
Market share and expansion isn't everything. Both just need enough money to keep the company in a good long-term financial standing and continue to develop their OS.
>>
I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this
>>
>>51439936
Don't forget BB10. Which is also dying.
>>
>>51441687
>Market share and expansion isn't everything.
They are if they want to attract more devs, which might bring more users and devices sold...
>>
>>51441774
Devs don't create sales, app availability does. And there's already android app compatibility for the majority of apps that don't require GPS payment or Android-specific stuff.
>>
>>51437512
>tfw my Jolla tablet is never going to be delivered
>>
>>51437512
Nice clickbait.
They've been in deep trouble a few times before. And they still exist. Their financial trouble comes from having to actually pay the production cost of the tablets in advance which could not be fully covered by preorders. Additionally, there are multiple reports stating that the layoffs are only temporary (which is common in fucking Finland). I am not sure why the same word is being used for both in the english language.
>>
File: 1402561763241.jpg (213KB, 1024x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1402561763241.jpg
213KB, 1024x1500px
>systemd

And nothing of value was lost

Slackware / Gentoo based phones when?
>>
The differentiating factor is that the APIs used in Sailfish were more or less the same APIs I use on desktop linux. No useless Java layer, no ObjC layer.

So actual desktop linux programs have an higher "integration" with the rest of the phone.

REAL 100% NATIVE LINUX
>>
File: eight_col_01_Header_vest.jpg (131KB, 620x389px) Image search: [Google]
eight_col_01_Header_vest.jpg
131KB, 620x389px
>>
>>51441628
but nobody wants to use microsoft if they can avoid it. Have you heard once in your life that a microsoft product is good ? no. Or the guy was just retarded and never used something else.
Seriously, ubuntu touch is awesome. And it opens the door for the other distributions.
>>
File: 8448611516_aaf12dfe50_o.jpg (305KB, 1600x901px) Image search: [Google]
8448611516_aaf12dfe50_o.jpg
305KB, 1600x901px
Well they hinted at irc that they might open source the UI as the result of this.
The engineers want to, but it's upto the share holders basically.

Personally I lost faith when they backed down from the initial promise of open source Sailfish OS, leaving a lot of the UI and other components closed.

Pic related.
>>
>>51443780
>Well they hinted at irc that they might open source the UI as the result of this.
Great if they do. But I have much more hopes on ubuntu touch. Actually you use unity 8, but the KDE team is preparing plasma for smartphones, and will allow you to choose the DE of your choice.
>>
>>51441809
kek
What's the point of using it over android then?
>>
>>51445173
If you don't want OS built by NSA-buttplugged corporation which business-model is based on snooping people.
>>
File: 2014-04-29-image-8.jpg (64KB, 800x529px) Image search: [Google]
2014-04-29-image-8.jpg
64KB, 800x529px
>>51443857
>I have much more hopes on ubuntu touch.

LOL. Sailfish is years ahead of Ubuntu touch. I think they'll be getting funding from B.R.I.C.S. governments to develop the OS for their countries to be free from American operating systems.

Either that or Nokia buys them for their new devices.
>>
>>51447777
I hope tha Nokia will give some money to its bastard child in order to keep it going.
>>
>>51437772
Oh yes please. Nokia with sailfish OS.
>>
>>51443780
I fell off the Sailfish bandwagon when they said they wouldn't be accepting contributions to the music player. More than two years after release, and they still haven't updated tracker/grilo or patched Music to fix its shitty album art handling for free formats.

In contrast, Ubuntu Touch's music player is on launchpad, and I can see exactly what stage the 'use local album art files' bugfix is at - handed over to the thumbnailer project, picked up by a developer, being tested in a branch I can go build for myself, and on track for the Q12016 OTA.
>>
>>51437708
I hope they will release the complete source code before death.
>>
Welp, time to buy dat Jolla before they go out of production
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.