[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of water cooling? Wouldn't cooling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: Water-bottle.jpg (53KB, 537x402px) Image search: [Google]
Water-bottle.jpg
53KB, 537x402px
What's the point of water cooling? Wouldn't cooling the inside of my laptop with water just make the water hot since my laptop gets hot?

What the fuck can you freaking cool with hot water, plus water ruins the hardware.. I really don't get the appeal of people trying to get stuff because they sound trendy.
>>
i don't know much about liquid cooling except the superficial stuff, but it seems to be more than you know, so i'll try and help you out

liquid cooling involves some cycling of water and a cooling apparatus outside the machine to cool the liquid once it's been heated.

it also uses oil usually, since water has a pretty high specific heat.
>>
>>51431692
>Liquid cooling
>Laptop
No, nobody does that. Liquid cooling requires large radiators to be effective at all, and laptops just don't have the space for that.
In general, (custom) water cooling is more effective than air cooling.
>>
>>51431730
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltiMT1JOObU
>>
>>51431712
Wouldn't you want a high specific heat?
Then the water could hold more heat, and presumably you would have to cycle the liquid less often.
>>
How to get down syndrome: read this post
>>
this is a troll thread, it must be
right /g/
>>
You need a large radiator to exchange the heat to air. The point of liquid cooling is to allow you to move the heat and radiator to a better place with more room/airflow to allow for better exchange with the air.
>>
Water cooling is such a hassle, you have take it apart clean it and add water.
Fuck that noise, just buy a nice fan and call it a day.
>>
>>51431740
That is fucking stupid.
That removes all semblance of portability from a laptop.
>>
>>51431730
actually the new surface and nokia phones do.
>>
>>51432022
>clean it
You just need to put some additives in the water which prevents bacterial/fungal buildup or be lazy and buy pre-made coolant. You don't need to replace the water regularly.
>>
You want to cool the water after it goes through the turbine so you can use it again.
>>
>have fan
>75 degrees while playing fallout 4
>get a NZXT Kraken X61 280mm All-in-One Liquid Cooling System RL-KRX61-01
>ONLY DROP 4 DEGREES
returned it first day
>>
>>51432108
Closed loop coolers are about only as good as high-end air coolers. Custom loops are where it's at, but even then, don't expect anything ridiculous.
>>
>>51431742
It would absorb more energy, but it would also take longer to lose the absorbed energy. Using an oil is more efficient.
>>
Water cooling is a meme, just buy a good fan. Water cooling doesn't cause that much difference and it's overpriced as shit.
>>
>>51432129
Ah, I see.
>>
Have you guys heard of kinetic cooling? It's the next new thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0hCN1Y0KHM
>>
Liquids used in liquid cooling have a better heat transfer than air. The loop pumps the heated liquid to a radiator which cools it off faster than a fan could cool the component by air alone.

It's just a more efficient for taking heat away from components.
>>
>>51431692
"Water has the highest specific heat capacity of any liquid. Specific heat is defined as the amount of heat one gram of a substance must absorb or lose to change its temperature by one degree Celsius. For water, this amount is one calorie, or 4.184 Joules." - From google search 'water thermal capacity'

The water holds the heat, rather than the struggling hardware inside the laptop.
>>
File: 13.png (65KB, 346x327px) Image search: [Google]
13.png
65KB, 346x327px
>>51431692
>Wouldn't cooling the inside of my laptop with water just make the water hot since my laptop gets hot?
>>
>>51431692
not sure if troll or not.

water gets pumped through a cold radiator and onto the pc components. the water cools by absorbing the heat and taking it back to the radiator where its cooled down again.

idk what the fuck kind of laptop you are on about because you need big fuck off radiators to make it work
>>
>>51433672
This is misleading, though. If you use a heavier liquid (let's go with quicksilver, even though that's a pretty fucking bad idea), which weights 13g per ml, you can remove MUCH more heat with the same amount of flow.
However, there are other factors too. For example, how well a liquid removes/absorbs heat from the metal surface of the water block. If it forms a thick layer of non flowing liquid on the metal surface of the water block, it's no good either.
The reason we use water is because it's reasonably effective, easy to clean, perfectly save, always available, and cheap.
>>
>>51432038
>unplug the laptop from watercooling station for portability
>plug it in for heavier tasks when at home
You dont think much do you
>>
>What's the point of water cooling? Wouldn't cooling the inside of my car's engine with water just make the water hot since my engine gets hot?
How stupid can you be?
>>
>>51431712
Is there a fluid which has higher specific heat when cool and lower specific heat when hot? That way, it absorbs a lot of energy that it can lose efficiently.

Is this even physically possible
>>
>>51437304
Yes and no.
Most fluids increase in volume and thus have lower density when they heat up. However, that effect is usually too small and thus negligible.

Other than that, you can use a liquid that vaporises at, say, 40 degrees Celsius, and thus will absorb huge amounts of heat. However, the existence of gas and thus pressure in the loop will make the system much more complicated.

I can imagine it's possible to create a molecule that will change states when heated above a certain threshold, absorbing heat in the process, and change back when cooled sufficiently, giving off the heat, similar to changes between solid, liquid and gaseous water, but with both phases being liquid.

There are already tons of ways how we could make CPU cooling way more efficient, but none of them are economical, and they all have huge downsides. Energy consumption, noise, space requirements, price, etc.
>>
>>51431692
I won't bore you with the science but it has to do with sucking up heat, moving it into the liquid, and cooling said liquid more quickly then a fan can. It's 'the next level' from doing somewhat of the same thing by sticking copper or aluminium to the hot bits to spread the heat out.

And it's usually not water, as putting water inside a case full of electronics would be kind of retarded.
>>
>>51437304
Wouldn't that violate the first law of thermodynamics?
>>
>>51438807
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/specific-heat-capacity-and-temperature.533136/

Nope. Quantum physics and shit.
>>
>not using a compressor to refrigerate your computer
>water cooling
>i shuggy doggy
>>
>>51432129
Its not better tatd. Oil is used because its not el. conductive. When you use water in loop itll absorb more heat then you end up rotate it slower and youll habe time to cool it. the benefit is lower sound levels from pump. Learn sum physics before shitposting
>>
>>51438807
You tell me. My knowledge of physics is high school tier plus hobby learning.

>>51438449
I suppose if we have gas in the system we might as well have an air cooled setup.

I live somewhere near a siderurgical plant and the atmosphere can get quite dusty. It's a huge problem for my computers, it's somehow destroyed some of the parts of my old computer mobos and GPUs. I was looking into water cooling as an alternative to air so that I could somehow seal the computer and prevent dust from getting in altogether. Filtering is not practical; I have to clean filters so frequently it's annoying. However, I still gotta do something because the dust is killing my systems.

Do you know of a solution to this problem? I'd very much like a system where the dust just can't get in at all.
>>
>>51431692
The same way it works in your car, dumbass
>>
What's the point of air cooling? Wouldn't cooling the inside of my laptop with air just make the air hot since my laptop gets hot?

What the fuck can you freaking cool with hot air, plus air ruins the hardware.. I really don't get the appeal of people trying to get stuff because they sound trendy.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.