[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you hate about "modern" website the most? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

File: Navigator_1-22.png (31KB, 640x529px) Image search: [Google]
Navigator_1-22.png
31KB, 640x529px
Why do you hate about "modern" website the most?
I hate that when you right-click on picture you can't "save picture as" because they make it as some sort of background image.
"Open link in new tab" often don't work on those fancy javascript/ajax-heavy website.
Even back button don't work sometimes properly.
And all of that for no practical purpose - they make it just because. They could make all of it to work properly. In 90% of cases there is no need of javascript or ajax at all on those sites.
>>
>>51414461

As somebody who works in the industry I can tell you that pretty much any agency or in-house team cant and wont consider problems like this.

At the end of the day you get a pretty picture from the design department and you make it work how the client asked for it regardless of how much you have to bastardize the implementation in the process.

Javascript was a mistake. As was CSS, HTML should be completely semantic.
>>
>>51414461
Content is not visible without Javascript.
Search forms uses XHR instead of POST requests.
Site relies heavily on CSS, but the stylesheet is injected with Javascript.
Sites hotlink to google.com and gstatic.com for downloading jQuery instead of hosting it themselves.
Sites overload scrolling, history and anchors and substitute them for their own implementations that almost always break if you're using any sort of add-on.
Everything is centralized, nothing is persistent.
>>
>>51414555
Also: Webfonts are inherently insecure, but sites assume you have them enabled so that they can serve you their cute little Windings-font with Github icons.
>>
File: noscript.png (39KB, 296x1002px) Image search: [Google]
noscript.png
39KB, 296x1002px
This part
>>
>>51414534
There's nothing wrong with CSS. You need it in HTML5 to style content. That doesn't mean it won't look like a raw HTML page.
>>
>>51414589
Ads are about to end very soon. We'll have to start paying for access.
>>
>>51414629
It's not even the ads, it's that isn't even very interactive past links to other pages can pull in so much javascript that the site is unusable on anything short of a high-end desktop.
>>
>>51414615

You don't need styling, as soon as you involve it the UX wankers crop up and semantic markup goes straight out of the window as long as the page "looks right"

The web should have remained for exchanging documents, not for hosting applications or experiences or whatever the hell they want to bend it into.
>>
>>51414534
get with the times gramps
>>
>>51414674
You misunderstand me. CSS is required for styling anything, even for basic things like centering text.

Like I said, you don't have to change how it looks but HTML is no longer used for this stuff.
>>
>>51414534
I work in the industry myself. And I know what you are talking about, but I'm autistic about such things.
I even still try to make sites work properly when javascript is disabled by using graceful degradation. Like for example I would never make javascript link to point on some "#" with onclick event attached. I would make it point to actual url with onclick, if onclick won't work it would go to that actual url. Same with forms.
It's not always possible to preserve all of functionality, but most vital one.
>>
>>51414555
>Search forms uses XHR instead of POST requests.
Search forms actually should use GET requests. It's one of very few types of forms which should use them.
>>
>>51414714

Why aren't you building all your forms with angular and AJAX? ;^)
>>
>>51414749
but i am desu senpai
>>
>>51414699
IMHO you should use proper tags for proper things. Like H1 for headers, P for paragraphs, etc. Instead of making everything DIVs.
That way even if you have css disabled page would be usable - looking like from 1995, but usable.
>>
>>51414771
Yes, that's how it's still done. But centering text, for example, now requires CSS since the HTML center tag was dropped.
>>
>>51414461
>I hate that when you right-click on picture you can't "save picture as"
>>51414555
>Content is not visible without Javascript.
>>51414589
these
>>
>>51414789
Centering text should be left to the user, not to the web designer. All websites should look identical by default, but be overridable with a custom stylesheet by the user.
>>
Everything is bootstrap.
>>
Vertical website design.
>>
>>51414771
<div class="shitpost">
<div class="container block danger" style="text-align: left;">
<div><div><div>
fuck u faget
</div></div></div>
</div>
</div>
>>
>>51414855
Are you saying websites shouldn't be allowed to center titles of things?
>>
>>51414461
>try to scroll
>website hijacks your scroll and does stupid laggy visual FX, or has specific points on the page you can scroll to
STOP THIS SHIT
>>
>>51414855

I agree with this, the webpages should essentially be semantic data structures, fuck the branding and user experience, I'll format your crap how I chose.
>>
>>51414899
Why are you twisting things? No one is talking about branding and UX.
>>
I hate how most websites advertising products don't have clear information on how to purchase them or when they are coming out

ie.
The one plus x site and the occulus rift site
>>
File: l8tvQxd.jpg (75KB, 464x447px) Image search: [Google]
l8tvQxd.jpg
75KB, 464x447px
>go to website
>bootstrap jumbotron
>>
>>51414892
Yes.
>>
>>51414855

>all websites should look boring as shit because everyone knows how to CSS
>imagine the shitstorm that brews when a 14 y/o justin bieber fan incites a riot because her bae's website looks like something from the 90's
>>
>>51414935
That's absurd.
>>
>>51414944
Why? It's how Gopher worked.

>>51414942
>boring as shit
>something from the 90's
Hopefully today's browser designers would be a bit more competent than those from 20 years ago and actually hire a designer to do the default stylesheet.
>>
>>51414980
Gopher wasn't HTML.
>>
>>51415000
No shit.
>>
>>51415008
Then what you ask for is ridiculous. We don't use Gopher.
>>
File: knode.png (309KB, 1059x751px) Image search: [Google]
knode.png
309KB, 1059x751px
>>51414980
I wonder why everyone is preferring web forums to NNTP-like protocol or mailing lists. With NNTP they could use whatever client they like, store messages offline(and even reply to them to be sent later).
>>
>>51414980

It's settled. Lets change the internet to satisfy your autistic needs.
>>
File: 1447870225195.jpg (139KB, 759x754px) Image search: [Google]
1447870225195.jpg
139KB, 759x754px
just use page info
>>
>>51415033
>what do you hate about the modern web?
>hurr durr, can't change that, progress is impossible

>>51415017
No, but that has nothing to do with the protocol itself, only with the data served. HTTP can give you any sort of file, not just HTML. For a concrete example of a better format, see: https://gonmf.github.io/fwd/
>>
http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
>>
>>51415097
This looks good, but it still uses HTML/CSS.
>>
>>51414461
When they use some bullshit framework like Angular, where the page renders absolutely nothing at all without scripts. And they require like 15 different libraries from different domains, and if any one of them goes down, the site is completely unusable.

Why? So they can spend 5 minutes less time programming their shitty template.
>>
>>51415109
>http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/
Oh, sorry. I thought you linked to http://bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com
>>
File: 1447461740551.gif (259KB, 104x152px) Image search: [Google]
1447461740551.gif
259KB, 104x152px
>>51415122

>those fucking longass lines of code
>>
>>51415150
That's because the code itself is a mess. It's not long.
>>
>>51415032
that shit is ugly as fuck nigga
>>
>>51414461
>I hate that when you right-click on picture you can't "save picture as" because they make it as some sort of background image.

this is because the img tag has serous limitations, and it is usually just a hell of a lot easier to do what you need with background-image properties.

>"Open link in new tab" often don't work on those fancy javascript/ajax-heavy website.
sometimes its for good reason. For example, you wouldn't want a "submit form" button to open in a new tab, because it would leave the old form still accessible, making it easy for the user to submit the same shit twice accidentally.
However, you're right, its not handled properly ever, and 99% of the time its unnecessary.

>Even back button don't work sometimes properly.
this is always bullshit and should be illegal. Fuck redirect jailing.

tl;dr: most webdevs are incompetent buffoons. It's not a problem with the modern web, its a problem with way too many fucking standards, legacy cruft, the complete retardation of the html and css spec, and nobody giving a shit as long as it werkz
>>
>>51414918
I just went to the one plus x site.
Within 4 seconds, i saw:
"Available November 5th"
and a button that says
"Buy with an invite"

It's not their fault you can't read.

same with the oculus page. Right at the bottom, in huge letters it says "Q1 2016"
>>
>>51415206

That's just KDE, it would look fine in literally any other WM.
>>
>>51415122

m-m-my e-eyes

...they burn

a little bootstrap, perhaps some tabbed navigation and gradients would make this look 10/10
>>
>>51415206

enjoy your 9-meg page loads then, faggot
>>
>>51415219
Here is an example from the site I was trying to save picture from few minutes ago.
It does use IMG tag, but draw some DIVs over it, so right click don't work.
> sometimes its for good reason.
Even if it's fully ajax website they could make link look like /page#dosomething and process hashtag on pageload so it would work when opened in new tab
>>
>>51415254
Webdev detected.
>>
>>51415122
>This site doesn't care if you're on an iMac or a motherfucking Tamagotchi.
>"Good design is as little design as possible."
>- some German motherfucker
my fucking sides
>>
>>51415261
link to the site?
I wanna see if it was even necessary for them to overlay that invisible div like that.
>>
>>51415261

>>51415261
>Even if it's fully ajax website they could make link look like /page#dosomething and process hashtag on pageload so it would work when opened in new tab
>they could make link look like /page#dosomething and process hashtag on pageload
>and process hashtag on pageload
>process hashtag

>hashtag

get out.
>>
>>51415361
http://crazytoilet.com/en
>>
>>51414461
http://www.lingscars.com/
>>
I hate websites that either require cookies or require Javascript.
If that's your website your website is shit.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.