[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So here's my story: >Build rig outside of chassis >Works

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: OP.jpg (81KB, 700x341px) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
81KB, 700x341px
So here's my story:

>Build rig outside of chassis
>Works all well, boot up Ubuntu because I'm cheap
>Put everything into the chassis
>Forget to plug 8-pin power lead into graphics card
>No signal on monitor
>Take out graphics card, boots up just fine again
>Reset CMOS as suggested by Googling my balls off
>Put in graphics card, no signal again

It still boots up fine with no graphics card.

Please, please, pleaaaaaaaaaaase tell what the fuck to do, I have no clue.
>>
I should also say that I've tried moving the GPU into a different PCI slot with no luck
>>
>>51413907
Install Gentoo
>>
>>51413907

Plug the 8-pin power lead into graphics card.
>>
>>51413907
This is usually from static damage
RMA it
>>
Try connecting the 8-pin power lead into the graphics card?
>>
is there a setting on your BIOS to switch between onboard graphics and a separate card?

any chance your power supply isn't rated what it needs to be for this graphics card?
>>
>>51413907

I almost feel silly asking, but your monitor is plugged in to the video card itself and not your motherboard right?
>>
>>51413981
I can't even access BIOS with the card in.

The power supply is fine, it booted up before with no dramas.

>>51413980
>>51413973
If only I'd done that before...
>>
>>51413999

Also, as a side note - forgetting to plug in the 8 pin connector should not have damaged the card if that's what you're thinking.
>>
>>51414003

Any beeping noises?
>>
>>51413907
Graphics cards are known to do this from time to time.

Reseat the card.
>>
>>51413999
Nope, I've only got a VGA cable and no VGA outlet on the card. Though this didn't matter when I first put it together properly.

>>51414028
None whatsoever, just fans and hard drive noises.
>>
Boot with integrated , go to bios and change the GPU order, boot again and plug monitor cord to GPU. My friend had that same problem.
>>
>>51414055

It does matter. Your motherboard's port is no longer going to work with the graphics card plugged in. Mystery solved, all your shit is probably fine. Go get a cable.
>>
>>51414055
Take a pencil eraser and rub the contacts. That's what I did on a RAM module I thought was failing. It was actually oil from my fingers and it's been working normally for a year
>>
>>51414055
Yes it does matter, if you want to get your graphics card to output the image then you must plug your monitor into it. Get a compatible cable. If your monitor is VGA/DVI only and your GPU only has HDMI, and you have a DVI-DVI cable lying around get a DVI to HDMI converter, they work well enough. Don't try to buy a VGA to HDMI converter because they don't really exist, since VGA is an analog signal and HDMI is digital.
>>
Holy fuck op, if you're this retarded you shouldn't be anywhere near a computer
>>
>>51414071

To expand on that a little, if it was working before with the graphics card plugged in it's because the graphics card either wasn't working or your computer was set to use integrated graphics for some reason. The port on your motherboard is using a totally different graphics 'card.' When the video card is functioning correctly, the integrated graphics on the motherboard is turned off completely and your video card handles all of it.
>>
>>51414071
>>51414154
It may well have been set to use integrated since it was the first time booting it up. I've gone hunting for my HDMI lead to my TV, thanks anon.
>>
>>51414191
Or just change the gpu order in bios with your integrated
>>
Verify that the video card has been fully inserted into its slot.

I ran into a similar problem when I first built my computer years ago.
>>
>>51414191
Huh, for some reason it starts on the HDMI with the VGA blank, then the opposite occurs. Welp, at least I know I haven't broken anything.

Thanks /g/, once again you've helped me through my horrible, horrible stupidity.
>>
>>51413907
BTW you can use specific graphics for things by installing bumblebee shit. I know for nvidia they have this optimus shit that chooses graphics for you. otherwise, have fun OP
>>
is the card connected? You should get an output even if you didn't install the drivers yet (dual monitors might not work though)
>>
>>51414287

Either one or the other is active; it's expected that one works and one doesn't. I hope anyone telling you to just set your motherboard to check for integrated first without mentioning this is trolling.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.