[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to build a CPU?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

File: 80486dx2-large.jpg (803KB, 1341x1002px) Image search: [Google]
80486dx2-large.jpg
803KB, 1341x1002px
Hello,
First off not sure if this should go here. But currently how do we build CPUs and "program" them. Also if some nuclear war was to happen (think fallout 4) how would we rebuild computers? My understanding is basically every part of modern day computers is built essentially by another computer because the tolerances are so small.
So if technology took a poop worldwide how would be get back to where we were?
>>
>>51406220
logical gates
>>
The CLOUD would save humanity. Its out in space so it should be there when needed.
>>
>>51406220
>So if technology took a poop worldwide how would be get back to where we were?
Google says "slowly".

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-an-8-Bit-Computer/
http://3.14.by/en/read/homemade-cpus
http://neazoi.com/transistorizedcpu/index.htm
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/
>>
>>51406220
restart from scratch
it will still be easier than the first time if the knowledge of how to do this shit isn't lost
>>
Ask Ahmed
>>
>>51406220
If you want a learning experience, OP, I suggest getting a good FPGA board and programming your CPU ontop of it, it will teach you computing on all its possible levels, and you will come out enlightened.
>>
A nuclear holocaust isn't going to cause every computer ever made to go kaput.
There are datacenters designed to withstand every contingency. There's no reason why there wouldn't be a datacenter 60ft underground filled with tape drives that could be used to restart photolithography machines and pump out current era desktop machines.
>>
>>51406220
Solder.
>>
>>51406861
>tape drives
Kekd.
>>
Using logic gates.

Honestly, in a fallout scenario there's no need to "rebuild". Just because EMP, doesn't mean every single piece of silicon has become unusable. It'd be more like salvaging trash and building a new machine from salvaged parts. There's no need to start producing new things until you have a stable economy, and by that time there will be plenty of machines operating.

You could probably build a modern gaymen machine in a post apocalyptic scenerio. After all, its so modular all you would need is one working CPU, motherboard, GPU, RAM, storage and PSU
>>
>>51407871
What are you keking about you mongoloid?

>>51406861
What about solar flares?
>>
>>51407871
Tape drives are quite literally one of the most reliable data storage mediums, you really know your shit don't you.
>>
>>51408264
>1960 technology
>reliable
Yeah right we should all just stop using new tech and switch to 60s everything
>>
>>51406220
They are partially designed by computers too.

The process is too long to explain here, but the basic idea is taking pictures and developing them, but with metal amd silicon

http://blogs.intel.com/jobs/2012/02/28/from-sand-to-silicon-the-making-of-a-chip/

The technology that goes into making chips is phenomenal, you need pretty high technology to make chips. Doing this in a postapocalyptic wasteland would be difficult. Just imagine dealing with suppliers, oh no our shipment of photresist got attacked by raiders...
>>
http://www.homebrewcpu.com/
>>
>>51408515
is this b8
i hope it is
please tell me you're not that stupid
oh god
>>
>>51408515
Are you really this retarded? Probably unemployed
>>
File: komputer.jpg (250KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
komputer.jpg
250KB, 1024x768px
Terminals in FO4 work fine, don't be so worried OP!
>>
>>51406844
he wont know how..
>>
>>51408629
Yeah, well no, I'm going to uni and everything get's paid by my parents. So yeah I am pretty much unemployed. But I don't need a full-time job yet. I get enough money from my parents to support my life and to set aside ~€100 a month. I sometimes work during weekends for like €10 an hour, 6 hours a day. So I can easily get like another €400 a month. Life's gud if you're a student sponsored by your parents.
>>
>>51408844
congrats man haha
>>
>>51408844
where do you study
>>
File: tumblr_n2fnh83gGR1qksk74o1_500.gif (182KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2fnh83gGR1qksk74o1_500.gif
182KB, 450x338px
>>51408844
you're the worst
>>
>>51408914

You sound like the usual normie that got everything handed and easy but somehow thinks hes a warrior and rages from people that is maintained by their parents

Guess what, you arent any better retard
>>
>>51408862
I've got it all figured out to be honest. When I'm done with uni. I'm going to look for an easy job with decent pay, doesn't need to be like €10000 a month, €5000 a month is pretty common here in the IT sector. I'm also going to become my family's sysadmin, kind of as a side job. My family is basically a goldmine as they are mostly 'dumb' in science and maths and such, but have a great history in running medium-sized businesses. I could probably get everyone in my family to pay me €100 (or maybe even more) a month to run websites for them, and I'll even put in some ads here and there. It's basically a solid second income from hosting websites as a hobby. It's nice being the only one in the family to have any interest in tech.
>>
>>51409104
>IT sector

NEVER call yourself IT if you are a Comp Sci major, man. It's a completely different thing and one you don't want to be associated with.

other than that nice plan man. The only downside is that your family will basically own you, be very careful about that...
>>
>>51408878
KU leuven, in Belgium.
>>
>>51409140
How you mean? Own me? I'm still going to have another job to secure my pension and such.
>>
>>51409245

I thought you were american with that salary, so 5000€ would not be much for what they usually get.

In that case its a nice call desu, a good salary + a couple thousands a month for doing that on the side.

Are you sure you will get 5000€ a month in belgium though? You usually get 2000-3000 in netherlands
>>
>>51408941
I live in my car, work 40 hours per week, attend university full time, I get no government aid, I get nothing from my single mother

I have nothing against paternal finance-keks but secretly I wouldnt mind if they all got dicked desu senpai
>>
>>51406836

Beat me to it
>>
>>51408844
>uni
>get's

Lol, right.
>>
>>51409287
Well I've done a good amount of research and asking around. And I could easily find a job to pay around €5000 a month (no company mentions if it's net though, so I guess that €5000 will more likely get reduced to ~€3000 until it reaches me every month. But that's plenty enough as I'll probably live in one of my grandparents apartments (until I'm married and I have kids and a wife who doesn't want to live in an apartment) which will probably mean, no rent. And if my untaxed 'side job' pays off too, which I know it'll do, I'll be rich enough until then.
>>
>>51409411
>work 40 hours per week, attend university full time

there's literally no time in the day for that. you can skip classes for work and still get a good gpa, but attending both?

at least you sound different than the usual normie i was talking about, apologies m8. but if you are in a decent country, going to a nice university and raised by a mentally healthy mother I would be more positive

>I have nothing against paternal finance-keks but secretly I wouldnt mind if they all got dicked desu senpai

so do i
>>
>>51406220
>>51406836
Samefag
>>
>>51409467
Ok, well yeah, I did make a mistake, but as this isn't jewtube I can't edit my mistakes. Unless Hiroshima is going to implement that too.
>>
File: nandlayout.png (117KB, 916x739px) Image search: [Google]
nandlayout.png
117KB, 916x739px
Before you try to build a CPU, you should understand what goes into the design of one.

Pic is just a simple NAND gate with some wide transistors. Now imagine laying out and connecting thousands or billions of these.
>>
>>51409477
So basically you're upper-middle class faggot planning to mooch off your family even after graduating.
>protip: it's not your money when you're living on different forms of allowances from your family
I agree with the other anon, you are the worst.
>>
>>51409571
copy and paste faggot
>>
>>51409584

it makes sense logically speaking so fuck you. i see no problem if he actually doesnt depend on them.

if you had actually had a hard life you wouldnt care about this shit, and if you havent i dont see why you think you are any better than him
>>
File: code.jpg (84KB, 1298x1884px) Image search: [Google]
code.jpg
84KB, 1298x1884px
>>51406220
Purchase this book.
Read this book.
>>
>>51409622
>it makes sense logically speaking so fuck you.
So does prostitution, but you still don't do it.
>i see no problem if he actually doesnt depend on them.
You either need the money or you don't. If you need it, you depend on it, and if you don't, you wouldn't be taking it in the first place.

>if you had actually had a hard life you wouldnt care about this shit
Based on what logic?

>and if you havent i dont see why you think you are any better than him
Burger flippers are above moochers like that. He's just a college-educated version of a guy living in his mother's basement.
>>
>>51409692
>you still don't do it

How do you know he doesn't?
>>
>>51409584
>Not using your family to get rich
I might be the worst, but I'll be the one who laughs last. I don't mind leeching of off my family, /g/ is right sometimes. Like when some anon once said, Tech illiterates will see you as some kind of wizard if you can get their contacts to synchronize between their ipad and iphone.
>>
>>51409736
kek

>>51409692

Because we all depend on our parents for around 15 years at least, and those are the years when you have the least power over yourself. For some their parents they are a burden and for some they are a blessing, there's no middle ground since as a kid you have 0 control over your life, so they either break you or make you.

This guy sounds like the latter, which is insane luck already. So, how does leeching a bit more even make a difference? And how can anyone raised in a sane family blame him when they also owe everything they have to their parents?
>>
>>51409749
>I might be the worst, but I'll be the one who laughs last.
Not likely.
>protip: there's a difference between being rich and being wealthy

>>51409776
>So, how does leeching a bit more even make a difference? And how can anyone raised in a sane family blame him when they also owe everything they have to their parents?
Oh yeah. So the way to repay their kindness is to abuse it and become a burden on the family that raised them. You're knee-deep in pointless rationalization. I call samefag.
>>
>>51409509
night shift senpai

2.86 gpa
>>
>>514>>51409776
This, right here. Even though I leech off of my family. I at least do it in a way they agree upon. My parents wouldn't give me money to flip burgers, but they do want to make sure I get an education and a solid job with a decent pay. And as I said almost no one in my family works full time in a company, but they prefer being the boss of their own companie, which means they already have to pay employees and such, €100 a month for a website would be pretty cheap for them.
>>
>>51409931
Have fun amounting to nothing in life.
>>
Funny how the thread derailed from processor architecture to a discussion on leeching off parents kek

I went to comp sci school and learned how computers work inside out bit by bit through the years, and also how processors physically work, and to be honest its pretty awesome. It legitimately enlighents you as someone else said in this thread, you get to understand how logic works as well.

>>51409901

No samefag, notice that I didn't even say it's the right thing, just that it's solid as a plan. And that most of those complaining about that behavior are kinda the same no offense. He sounds like their parents WANT to help him so no abuse.

>>51409922

honestly man i have to say that you deserve the succeess you will get, sorry about my previous comment
>>
>>51407871
seriously you shouldn't talk about tech if you don't know how reliable a tape drive is.
>>
>>51409980
> And that most of those complaining about that behavior are kinda the same no offense.
>making things up
Thanks for playing.
>>
>>51408515
Some one murder this guy.
>>
>>51409997
it's true though

the first guy i responded to ended up being different but trust me most of those raging at people like this guy are fucking spoiled kids and a lot worse
>>
>>51409901
What makes you think I won't live like a king by the time I'm 50. I'll even do the same thing for my son and make sure he get's a good job in IT (or whatever is going to be blooming in 20-30 years) and leech of off his family as long as it's by actually doing something for them, and not by living in my fucking basement.
>>
>>51409972
Define 'amounting to nothing'
>>
>>51410060
I never got mine for dependence, so don't hold your breath.

>>51410038
>What makes you think I won't live like a king by the time I'm 50
Because of that attitude. You have trustfund kidyitis.
>>
File: lgn.gif (448KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
lgn.gif
448KB, 400x400px
>>51406763
Kek
>>
>>51410096
Okay, well I am going to fund my kids. But I'm going to fund them in a good way. Not by giving him a car as soon as he's 16. I'm going to get him into tech and teach him that the game of life is about pulling yourself up by holding onto everyone else in reach.
>>
>>51410151
I meant 18 btw.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.