[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just recently got offered to do a masters or phd in computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: apply_now.jpg (17KB, 340x200px) Image search: [Google]
apply_now.jpg
17KB, 340x200px
I just recently got offered to do a masters or phd in computer science completely paid for by the company I work at provided I continue to work for them two years after graduation.

I didn't want to do grad school but it's two years and paid for me so I'm going to do it. Now my question is choosing an area. I went to look at some options and I can't fucking choose.

Here are the options for one particular program:
Artificial Intelligence and Databases
Programming Languages and Software Engineering
Systems and Networks
Theoretical Computer Science
Visual Computing

I ruled out theoretical computer science and visual computing. Everything else to me looks amazing I want to do all of them. I can't so I don't know which one I like more. I LIKE ALL OF THEM.
>>
Nice blog
>>
AI sounds like fun
>>
There are a handful of reasons to say no and I'll cover them really briefly. If one point is more interesting than another, I can elaborate if I have time:

- "Professional PhD" programs are something I only hear about from Europeans. European PhD programs are seen with a *deep* negative connotation compared to American PhD programs. Without getting into it (unless you're curious), European doctoral programs are much shorter (and undergrad curricula are shorter than the corresponding undergrad curricula as well). I've talked to professors and heads of research groups in industry in the Bay Area (I'm a grad student in the bay) and at their most generous they've expressed reluctance over whether they could trust a graduate of a European PhD program to (completely independently) run a research project (let alone a whole program). That concern is just absent among graduates of American programs.

The second issue, which should deflate all the excitement you've got wound up, is that CS PhD programs should never cost a student money. Your advisor should be well-funded, and/or you should have no trouble securing funding from any number of organizations that are looking to fund high-impact work. That someone is willing to pay for your PhD shouldn't faze you.
>>
>>51405191
I'm not sure if it was the image I posted that gave you the impression I was studying in Europe. I am currently an undergrad in the United States and I would actually have to remain here to do the PhD because I am required to work alongside my degree. I am on the east coast.

Second issue knocked my confidence down a few pegs.
>>
the only reason and I mean the ONLY raisin to get a PHD is if you're a becoming a medical doctor
>>
>>51404982
>Artificial Intelligence and Databases
>Visual Computing
More interesting.

>Programming Languages and Software Engineering
>Systems and Networks
Less interesting, but more useful, better for your job.

>Theoretical Computer Science
ISHYGDDT, it IS the current year!
>>
>>51405612
Sorry about the assumption of a European program. I've never heard of an American PhD program that was entirely funded by a company. Usually American PhD programs are ~5-6 years, and that's just too long an investment to risk, especially given that CS students are *very* liable to drop out as tech companies poach them.
>>
>>51406391/>>51405191 here again

>>51406287
I think you're confusing PhD with MD. PhDs do research (typically going into academia or doing "industrial" research (basically more applied research, for a company)), and they typically occupy a different career track than regular devs and whatnot.

You shouldn't get a CS PhD if you plan on climbing the ladder up through PM and shit. You'll come out of a PhD program in CS with too little industry experience to be given a management job, and too many qualifications to be given an "entry level" job. You should really really only go for it if you want to do research in some vertical or another.
>>
>>51406391
I just checked the details of the program and no. They fund a 2 year masters program. So then my question becomes do I do the two years and get my masters?
>>
>>51406752
Sure. A masters is less risky (spending 4 years to earn a PhD and dropping out is a bit of a gamble in a lot of ways), and masters programs are less often funded (in fact, even in engineering fields it's not that common). If someone's willing to pay for yours, go ahead and get it.
>>
>>51406752
Enter the PhD program and leave after two years with a Masters if you don't like it. Shoot for the stars OP. You should definitely do this.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.