[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System upgrade advice/suggestions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 51rRMnzcyUL.jpg (43KB, 469x500px) Image search: [Google]
51rRMnzcyUL.jpg
43KB, 469x500px
Hi I'm looking to improve my system
Current system specs
Motherboard: asus M5A78L-M/USB3
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970
CPU: AMD FX -4170
RAM: Patriot 8 Gig

I'm currently thinking of upgrading the processor to a FX 8320 or 8350 and adding another 8 gig of Ram.

Or should I upgrade my motherboard and get a different processor or even switch to intel.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated appreciated
>>
>>51404533
If you play video games you are going to be bottlenecked as fuck by anything FX series related with that video card. So yeah, new CPU/mobo and add an SSD. You don't need more RAM until you do those other things.
>>
8370e if you dont feel like spending 400+ to get a decent swap to the next generation. (or you could look second hand for an LGA 1150 combo).
Honestly, that's a pretty poor motherboard to be slapping in an AM3+ 8-core.

If you can afford it go LGA 1151 + 6600k/6700k or grab a Xeon 1231 + LGA 1150. (Down side is you'll need another mobo swap for next gen but it is cheaper.
>>
>>51404533
An 8350 and more RAM is a pretty sensible upgrade. Depending on what you're doing with your machine, or what games you're playing you should get a decent bump in the speed.

I wouldn't spend the money on a new motherboard until socket AM4 is out or until Intel's latest socket has dropped in price a bit.
>>
>>51404603
Yeah I though as much about the Ram
>>51404615
Thats a bit pricey for me right now but I can wait a month or two. Hopefully I can get them on sale
>>
>>51404648
Once it comes out wont it be really expensive
>>
>>51404603
Are you sure the FX series will bottleneck my gpu?
>>
>>51404748
Only on shitty games you shouldn't be playing anyway.
>>
>>51404812
Shitty games like.....?
>>
File: 2015-11-17 19-41-50-945.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-17 19-41-50-945.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>51404704

Don't bother with the RAM unless you notice you're actually going past (or around 7GBs) your limit.
If you're going LGA 1151 and just happen to be playing FO4, aim for the faster ram. It's being shown that it'll help you eek out those frames you want that you can seem to get else where.
>>
>>51404533
Get an i5 skylake or wait for zen, upgrading to another fx isn't really a good decision since bottlenecking and dead socket
>>
>>51404833
Don't listen to him. There are very few games that can make use of multithreading to the extent that the high end FX series support. And yes, I'm sure the FX series will bottleneck a 970. I say this as someone that hates the 970. That's how bad your CPU is for playing games.
>>
>>51404748
The individual FX cores have like 60% of Intel core performance in many tasks. If an application isn't hopelessly limited by GPU or I/O performance it will probably run worse on AMD. Unless it was designed for extensive multithreading from the start, of course.

Because the current consoles both have very weak AMD 8-core chips this shouldn't really be a problem with new games, but their PC ports may be worse in this regard because of API differences and lazy devs.
>>
Thanks for all the advice so far.
It looks like it's in my best interest to get a new mobo and switch to intel rather than upgrade to a fx 8350.
Guess I'll start saving up more money for newer parts
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.