[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Its 2015 and windows still doesnt support software raid (such

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1445485939937.jpg (63KB, 398x600px) Image search: [Google]
1445485939937.jpg
63KB, 398x600px
Its 2015 and windows still doesnt support software raid (such as raid10) and other filesystems such as ext

WHY IS THIS ALLOWED
>>
>>51401603
i know man, it grinds me gears down
Last month, a coworker borrowed my flash drive and formatted my 4 GB encrypted partition because windows couldn't recognize it as a valid filesystem and offered to format it to make it usable by windows
I just wish windows supported more filesystems...
>>
>>51401603
Lrn2ifs
>>
>>51401603
>doesnt support software raid
What are dynamic disks?
>>
My Windows is installed on a fakeraid raid0
>>
>>51401603
You're being stupid about it. It's all about the benjamins.

If they provide easy-to-use software RAID in their consumer products, then there won't be an aftermarket for expensive shitty RAID cards.
>>
>>51402239
>If they provide easy-to-use software RAID in their consumer products, then there won't be an aftermarket for expensive shitty RAID cards.
No, hardware RAID will continue to be preferred because it's higher performance. It offloads the RAID processing from the CPU.

Linux has software RAID, but people still use hardware RAID with it.

Windows has at least decent software RAID in the form of dynamic disks, though the boot disk can't be dynamic.
>>
oh christ the filesystems really get me

it's 2015. windows can't write to anything other than ntfs and fat which are both fucking atrociously designed pieces of garbage

if you own a mac, it can read nfts drives but it can't write to them. so if you need to fucking go cross-platform with macs, you gotta use FAT. you know FAT THAT THING FROM THE FUCKING SEVENTIES THAT NOBODY USES ANYMORE BECAUSE IT'S GARBAGE

who knew we'd still be fucking defraggling and having to split up our files into nice 4gb chunks in fucking 2015 anno dominai

if you have linux you can do fine with any filesystem, and you can read NTFS just fine and you can even read HFS+ with some fucking around

it's crazy. imagine if we were all still using HTTP1.0 or USB1.0 or something just because windows and osx refused to use something more up to date. wouldn't you be pissed? SO WHY IS THIS SHIT ACCEPTABLE
>>
>>51402298
>No, hardware RAID will continue to be preferred because it's higher performance. It offloads the RAID processing from the CPU.
Software RAID outperforms hardware RAID on modern server hardware under Linux, FreeBSD, and Illumos/Solaris.
>Linux has software RAID, but people still use hardware RAID with it.
That's for blind hot-swap, which mdadm can't do yet. For basic RAID 0/1/5/6/10 people use Linux software RAID all the time. Some hosting providers default to it.
>Windows has at least decent software RAID
No it does not. Linux mdadm, FreeBSD geom, OpenBSD bioctl, and ZFS all shit on Windows software RAID.
>though the boot disk can't be dynamic
That's because it's not actually doing block level redundancy. Real software RAID systems can boot from themselves.
>>
>>51402298
>>51402298
>No, hardware RAID will continue to be preferred because it's higher performance. It offloads the RAID processing from the CPU.
He's talking about $30 "RAID" cards who are nothing but SATA controller and a driver with software RAID, except they're incompatible to each other.
>>
>>51401603
Imagine windows actually having access to your linux partitions on a dualboot. Fuck that shit!
>>
>>51402433
It does have access the the right drivers and you can be sure that the NSA Windows backdoor has them.
>>
>>51401603
The everyday computer illiterate doesn't need anything better than standalone connections and FAT32.

People who need more can and do use GAHNOO+LOONIX, *BSD etc.
>>
>>51402470
>The everyday computer illiterate doesn't need anything better than standalone connections and FAT32.
>demands error checking when turned off improperly
>can lose the whole filesystem if you're unlucky
>can't boot modern Windows on FAT32
I think not. The everyday computer illiterate needs NTFS.
>>
>>51402494
THE EVERYDAY COMPUTER ILLITERATE NEEDS WHAT I FUCKING THINK IS GOOD FOR THEM
>>
>WHY IS THIS ALLOWED
Because you touch yourself.
>>
>>51401603

no built in RAM disk either
>>
>>51402524
The latest Windows that can be installed on FAT32 is XP. Are you arguing that the average computer user should use Windows XP in late 2015?
>>
>>51402355
Poster of >>51402239 here, yes, this is exactly what I meant. There's an entire "ecosystem" of shit hardware that is literally orbiting around Windows. Vendors crank out shitty cards using the cheapest arrangements they can get, slap a sticker on it and ship boxes of air.

Good software RAID will match hardware RAID (with some associated CPU computational costs, agreed). But just like a few hundred registry changes were all the difference between Windows NT 4 workstation and server, we can't have people going around and discovering that there are "cheaper alternatives".

Keep in mind, it's to the advantage of Microsoft to have hardware that has "Windows only drivers".
>>
>>51402606
I'M NOT THE POSTER YOU WERE RESPONDING TO I JUST HAVE STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT VERY GENERAL TOPICS
>>
>>51402617
You probably also need to look into a new keyboard since your capslock seems to be stuck on.
>>
>>51402341
>what is udf
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.