[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a laptop for school. Nothing fancy necessary. I just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: Chromebook.png (93KB, 675x450px) Image search: [Google]
Chromebook.png
93KB, 675x450px
I need a laptop for school. Nothing fancy necessary. I just need it to boot up quickly and have office programs.

I'm thinking of getting a Chromebook, anything but macs.
>>
File: 1401289049156.jpg (104KB, 472x383px) Image search: [Google]
1401289049156.jpg
104KB, 472x383px
>>
Chromebooks are pretty good but you'll be limited to exclusively using Google docs
>>
just get a mac. they are industry standrd
>>
Chromebooks are fucking garbage, don't even bother.
>>
Acer CB3
100$ via bestbuy on black friday, /g/'s 2nd place chromebook option

make sure to make a chroot to use a linux distro side by side with chromeOS
>>
File: 1363664994023.gif (328KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1363664994023.gif
328KB, 450x253px
get a chromebook but install arch linux on it

its literally the fucking bomb I hve the one with 4GB and an i3

* I can play CS:GO
* I can run any windows apps at full speed if I need to using qemu
* The battery life lasts forever
* Its fast as shit

idk why /g/ hates them the pricepoint / performance / batterylife / linux support is amazing.
>>
thinkpad, bitch.
>>
>>51400470
If you want to go full autist, You can get a thing pad and put an SSD in it. That or get a mac
>>
>>51400570
>thinkpad meme
Some people want laptops that dont look like they dropped straight outa 2005.

Some people want _new_ laptops just because theyre _new_.

Some people dont want to deal with the issues that thinkpads and older laptops in general seem to have, namely, machine-wide degradation of the hardware.

Chromebooks are the new thinkpad, its time to put it down.
>>
>>51400512
>100$
Jesus. If only I had any use for a second laptop.
>>
Is it possible to put a larger ssd onto a Chromebook and install windows?
>>
>>51400505
>>51400590
Whats the point of getting a mac?

They're just expensive facebook machines, why wouldn't you just get a cheaper facebook machine?
>>
>>51400470
I have Acer C720. I used Chrome OS for about 10 minutes, then put Arch on it. Excellent battery life and portability, no driver issues.

http://monkeypantsstudio.com/mps/?p=92
>>
>>51400521
most seem to think that it's locked to ChromeOS or that you can only use that shitty chrubuntu or whatever it's called. I have Arch as the only OS on mine and it rocks. Nice tiling wm, can play vidya, put it in my backpack all day capturing IVs and handshakes.
>>
>>51400715
It is possible to put in a larger SSD and install gentoo or arch.
>>
>>51400715
>install botnetOS on botnetbook
kek
Install Gentoo
>>
>>51400748
lol if you unironically believe this
>>
>>51400821
Dude, I literally only need it for writing papers and facebook. Whats the point of spending so much when they fulfill the same purpose?
>>
>>51400470
lenono yoga
>>
>>51400748

>Whats the point of getting a mac?

cos it runs unix. real unix not that poxy norwegian clone of unix.
>>
>>51400792
But doesn't chromeOS do away with the traditional harddrive by storing all it's data on the Internet?
>>
>>51400867
Why does that matter and how does it warrant the price difference?
>>
>>51400512
gonna get one of these badboys and install elementary on it. 100 dollar mac clone that runs better than ChromeOS
>>
>>51400891
It doesn't have any programs as such, instead it just has a browser and you use online services like google drive or w/e to store your files. It still has local storage though.

It still has to store chromeOS on the device. My C720 came with an (upgradeable) 16GB SSD, which has been enough for my needs. Also has 2 USB ports.
>>
>>51400895

i'm just being a dickhead mate. you're right if all you're doing is surfing an writing the odd paper, then fuck it, yeah just get the cheapest thing that does the job.
>>
>>51400470
m8 just buy a fucking T420 on ebay for $150

otherwise you're flat out STUCK with chromeOS and linux. If you're in any STEM major, you are going to really wish you had a windows laptop to the many programs you will have to use that are for windows.

if you're just some bullshit major, then yes just go buy that $99 chromebook at best buy on BF.
>>
>>51400959
Accounting major, last year.
>>
>>51400604
Laptops from 2005 looked nothing like Thinkpads, other than the Thinkpads from that time.

You can a Thinkpad that's only a few years old that has no issues for less than $200, and it will run Windows or whatever else you decide to put on it.
>>
>>51400715
Depends on the Chromebook in question.

Some of them use an M.2 SSD which is generally replacable with a different one of compatible size (usually 2242), but many others just solders on flash to the motherboard and thus cannot be upgraded. Do your research before you buy one to avoid being disappointed!
>>
File: jbl.jpg (108KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
jbl.jpg
108KB, 1920x1080px
>>51400963
I hope you realize that you're quite literally going to be using a thinkpad or equivalent business laptop when you get your first job. You might as well get a cheap one now like the T420. Even though these laptops are old, they are still very powerful. They will be much more durable. The typical CPU in a T420 is about 5x as powerful as the one in that $99 chromebook. You can upgrade to 16GB ram for like $60. You can have three internal drives. The keyboard is perfection. The T420 is just the absolute best deal you will get in a laptop right now. Everything is easily replaceable/upgradeable. You can spend $99 on a chromebook with 2gb ram, $70 battery replacement, a celeron, cheap build quality, chromeOS/linux, or you can spend like $80-$150 on a T420 and have a portable windows desktop. It's your choice but there is a reason that so many people here shill them. It's not a meme.
>>
>>51401011
I have a job lined up at RSM after graduating. Are Think pads the industry standard?

I'm a very small person so size is an issue for now. Preferably I'd want something small.
>>
>>51400521
Which chromebook?
>>
File: thinkingman.jpg (87KB, 328x284px) Image search: [Google]
thinkingman.jpg
87KB, 328x284px
>>51401011
also not to mention the screen size is 14" and resolution can be 1600x900, which I'm sure as an accounting guy you'd prefer a higher resolution just so that you can see more of those excel cells on your screen c:

if you use a chromebook, you're going to be stuck using office online which is apparently finicky, or libreoffice if you put linux on it.

and yes, I've had that $99 chromebook. I bought it from Best Buy like a week ago and returned it a day later just to see if it's something I'd like to buy for $99 on black friday. It is a perfectly good laptop if you have no cash and don't need windows. Everything felt very OKAY on it. You can tell that the biggest compromise was the screen as it was obviously that low 1366x768 resolution, and it had a cool temperature that made everything have almost a pale blue tint to it, at least for grays and whites etc.. After having it for about a day, I realized that the T420 was definitely the better deal. Sure, you're getting a new laptop if you buy that CB3 chromebook, but it's just not that great. It felt like something that would snap if half if you dropped it with the laptop open. It's just not a reliable thing to spend $100 on. A T420 or X220 thinkpad? You could fucking throw that shit against a wall and it would probably still work.

>>51401047
If you need as small as possible, then just buy an X220. It's 3.5lbs and 12.5" screen with a 1366x768 resolution. Really, the T420 is 1lb heavier but very worth it for the higher resolution, better build, better upgrade-ability, and they even go for less than the X220's.
>>
>>51401078
The think pads are a bit too thick for me, I understand that they are a better value for the price/performance but I really can't carry around something that big.
>>
>>51401134
giving some numbers to what you're willing to carry around would help. 3.5lbs is barely even noticeable. 2.5lbs isn't noticeable. 2lbs and under is basically nothing. Even the $99 chromebook is about 2.5lbs.
>>
>>51400470
Surface 3
>>
>>51401164
I guess going by that I would like to to weigh nothing or as close as possible. For your reference I struggle with 5lbs dumbbells.
>>
File: woah.jpg (34KB, 720x478px) Image search: [Google]
woah.jpg
34KB, 720x478px
>>51401211
r u a grill
>>
>>51401211

ok well now we're back to maybe get a mac, cos the 11inch macbook air weighs 1.08 kg (2.38 pounds) AND it runs unix ;)
>>
>>51400521
>>51400792
How do you make the messed up keyboard layout on chromebooks to work?
>>
>>51401402
Keyboard layout is fine on mine, UK version.
>>
Just don't fall for the Thinkpad meme
Everything should do the job for you, get whatever you want that looks good, is slim, light and has a ssd
>>
>>51400521
Can you actually play csgo though? At 60 fps? I don care if the thing runs like a vacuum cleaner and has to play at 800x600 at all low settings
>>
>>51401473
DotA 2 runs on 4gig version of c720, takes up most of the ssd though unless you upgrade it.
>>
>>51400715
you would be better off just buying one of the low end windows laptops to start with.

To try to move into the low end market, microsoft now licenses windows for free to companies to use on their low end systems, the only caveat is the manufacturer cant change any windows default programs, or shit like search engines, but the end user can.

see: http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-80M4002DUS-11-6-Inches-Processor-Operating/dp/B00WR2888U/

Something like that would be a good bet, i have one myself, but I got it for like 150$ in store.
>>
asus x205
>>
>>51401473
yes i play on low and i get 50-60fps easy
>>51401402
it just works on my machine whats wrong with your keyboard?
>>
By a chrome book and an mk keyboard for nice essay typing.

>inb4 mk shill
>>
Surface 3
>>
>>51400915
Why use such a meme distro? It's fucking garbage. Why not just opensuse, that seems to be fitting if elementary caught your eye. Debian or CentOS/Fedora come to mind too.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.