[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hacker fakes German minister's fingerprints using photo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1447747171012.png (396KB, 481x481px) Image search: [Google]
1447747171012.png
396KB, 481x481px
Hacker fakes German minister's fingerprints using photos of her hands

Jan Krissler used high resolution photos, including one from a government press office, to successfully recreate the fingerprints of Germany’s defence minister

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/30/hacker-fakes-german-ministers-fingerprints-using-photos-of-her-hands
>>
>>51399269
Yep. Biometrics is useless. Anyone that talks about it postively is either trying to sell you something or goddamn retarded and talking out their ass.

The only situation in which it can be used safely is when it is just one of many layers. As in, there are guards physically present and at least one security camera pointed at the scanner. In other words, useless. You can't simply can't trust it. Not to mention the false positive and false negative rates.

At best, it's the equivalent of someone flashing an ID card from across the room. It isn't even as strong as your username or email address, because at least you can change those and you're not literally leaving a trail of your credentials in your wake.

Every consumer biometrics system on the market can be defeated by a layman with an imagination and a weekend. Every high end, outrageously expensive system on the market can be beaten by hobbyists. Unless you're talking about implanting chips into your body, in which case you're really talking about cryptography, not biometrics.
>>
>>51399269
dumb frogposter
>>
>>51399581
>You can't simply can't trust them.
>>
File: vEvgBk8.jpg (23KB, 552x371px) Image search: [Google]
vEvgBk8.jpg
23KB, 552x371px
>>51401138
>>
>>51401422
Kekd
>>
File: 1442908299983.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1442908299983.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
>Also reported at the conference was another security hole seemingly straight out of science-fiction: a so-called “corneal keylogger”. The idea behind the attack is simple. A hacker may have access to a user’s phone camera, but not anything else. How to go from there to stealing all their passwords?

One way, demonstrated on stage, is to read what they’re typing by analysing photographs of the reflections in their eyes. Smartphone cameras, even front-facing ones, are now high-resolution enough that such an attack is possible.
>>
Me
>my voice is my password
Authenticated!
My friend
>my voice is my password
Authenticated!

This was the day my dreams of a biometric authenticating future were gone. If a photo of a finger print does the trick, a photo of a retina probably would too. Granted retinal scans would need to be update with age, diabetes, and cataracts.
>>
And now you will see a bunch of people deleting photos from facebook/instagram that show their hands in fear of people recreating a print to be able to get into their iPhone/Pad.
>>
>>51399269
yep fingerprints should not be used as passwords
They cant be changed so leaked is leakes and stays leaked
>>
>>51402764
>front facing cameras
>high res

Not even close. When I send dick picks from my LG G3 the girls can barely find my cock.
>>
>>51402982
Sounds like a personal problem.
>>
>>51402987
Underrated
>>
Good luck leaving that top secret high-tech research facility after that gruesome lab accident where you lost your hands/fingers while the incineration countdown is ticking.
>>
>>51403034
>not having a dna biometric scanner
>>
>biometrics

Passwords you can't change.

Worthless.
>>
>>51402982
A microscope probably wouldn't help.
>>
File: 1442677588642.jpg (35KB, 955x375px) Image search: [Google]
1442677588642.jpg
35KB, 955x375px
>>51402717
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.